Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2020, 19:07   #12706
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Just wanted to check whether they ask entire family to get down at the checkpoints or just one person? .
The whole family had to get down only at Aryankavu checkpost for medical fitness test. All the checkposts in TN require only a single person to get down and provide details

Quote:
What time you started from BLR and reached Kollam, just to get a feel of the time taken with all these checkpoints? .
Started from Electronics City at 5:30AM and arrived at Kundara at ~7:50PM
EC to Tirumangalam turn-off from N- ~6 - 7 hours of driving including breaks (~40 mins breakfast)
Tirumangalam to Kundara - ~7+ hours including Lunch (1 hour), took atleast 3 tea breaks as was feeling sleepy and 1 hour at Aryankavu checkpost

Btw, It was the first time for me travelling on this route as my normal destination is TVM via Nagercoil which could have also contributed to the additional time

Quote:
Lastly you got down at any place for food or managed with home packed stuff?.
We carried breakfast, lunch, snacks, hot water for black tea.

Not used to carrying food while travelling to KL due to options enroute and so it was a little difficult and cumbersome considering 2 kids having food and lots of flies around etc.
kochup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 19:22   #12707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73
New cases in Kerala is increasing on a daily basis.
Secondly, Kerala authorities will say there are no restrictions for travel. They just need registration details of travelers for tracking purpose.
My gut feeling is that KL would impose some checks and restrictions at least to stop the mad rush of Malayalis during Onam . They may open up right after Onam. From what I know, KL still retains the rule of 14 day home quarantine. Which means that they would also have to retain the mechanism to track people coming to Kerala (to send a police patrol to the neighbour's house).

I personally feel that KA did a right thing. The virus has spread to a large extent, and lock downs now are not going to be of any use. Life has to move on. My gut feeling is that Govt. of India now has a good idea on the spread of the virus, the deaths and recovery patterns etc and for all you know a vaccine might already be getting readied.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 20:02   #12708
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
The whole family had to get down only at Aryankavu checkpost for medical fitness test. All the checkposts in TN require only a single person to get down and provide details

Started from Electronics City at 5:30AM and arrived at Kundara at ~7:50PM
EC to Tirumangalam turn-off from N- ~6 - 7 hours of driving including breaks (~40 mins breakfast)
Tirumangalam to Kundara - ~7+ hours including Lunch (1 hour), took atleast 3 tea breaks as was feeling sleepy and 1 hour at Aryankavu checkpost

Btw, It was the first time for me travelling on this route as my normal destination is TVM via Nagercoil which could have also contributed to the additional time

We carried breakfast, lunch, snacks, hot water for black tea.

Not used to carrying food while travelling to KL due to options enroute and so it was a little difficult and cumbersome considering 2 kids having food and lots of flies around etc.
Thanks for the details. Whenever we take this route we take a break in Madurai for temple visit, some shopping/roaming and then to Kollam early next day. This helps as once you get into TN State highways, it becomes 2 laned and once we cross Kerala border (near Thenmala) roads become narrower with lots of twisties till you reach Punalur. Both the driver and co-passengers can get tired unless quite a few breaks are taken. Traffic also builds up from Punalur to Kollam City.

As you mentioned we too never carry food due to the variety of options available en route, but cant take any risks now.
Is it possible to visit KL and return within a week (like 8 days). This doesnt meet business visit or comply with 14 day HQ rules, not sure this is feasible
Old 25th August 2020, 20:19   #12709
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to visit KL and return within a week (like 8 days). This doesnt meet business visit or comply with 14 day HQ rules, not sure this is feasible
Not sure of this, you should not have any issues entering KA but considering current rules KL quarantine requirements might be a hinderance. Don't have an answer which is helpful.
Old 25th August 2020, 20:22   #12710
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Doubtful. Tamilnadu may lift. But, Kerala may continue. Reasons could be..
New cases in Kerala is increasing on a daily basis.
Secondly, Kerala authorities will say there are no restrictions for travel. They just need registration details of travelers for tracking purpose.
What about the quarantine requirements, it's still OK if we need to register in some portal, that's not all that cumbersome but if there is mandatory quarantine for folks coming in from other states that would be a problem.

Last edited by ike : 25th August 2020 at 20:25.
Old 26th August 2020, 15:57   #12711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup
Not sure of this, you should not have any issues entering KA but considering current rules KL quarantine requirements might be a hinderance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike
What about the quarantine requirements, it's still OK if we need to register in some portal, that's not all that cumbersome but if there is mandatory quarantine for folks coming in from other states that would be a problem.
From what I came to know from a friend who works in Kerala Health Dept.. 14 days of home qurantine rule is still there. Earlier when a person registered on the portal the jurisdictional PS, ASHA worker, Public Health facility all would be informed of the "arrival" of the individuals. And based on this follow ups etc. were done. To be frank, even my friend did say that enforcement of 14 day home quarantine is a bit dicey. Contact tracing etc. is not that easy. Mainly the state is relying on neighbours to inform (or rat on) the movement of the 'new comers'.

For me the 14 day quarantine is a 'spoil sport' for a festival like Onam, as I am not a person who can remain cooped up in my home for 1-2 days (leave alone 14 days). And driving down to the state and back with no restuarants etc is another problem. So as of today, I have decided to skip the festival at KL. I find it actually more comfortable to celeberate it here at Bangalore.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 14:56   #12712
BHPian

Quote:
There is an option for short visit which does not require one to undergo quarantine. They have to leave the state within 7 days.
But reasons for such visit should be: medical, court cases, death, interviews, trade...etc. There is no "other" option in the application. There is no option for one day visit and return. This epass requires approvals and chances of rejection are high if docs are not proper like for ex: death requires doctor certificate/death certificate..etc. As per me, this is really madness. In a death situation of a close one, how can one have patience to sit and apply for an epass when your brains does not work. They are not lenient also on this. The Ernakulam Helpline number is a joke as well. They have no patience to listen to one or the call gets disconnected automatically, thanks to BSNL.
A person from Palakkad or walayar can travel to Erankulam without epass. But a person just on the other side of border (may be 25 kms) cannot travel to Ernakulam without epass .
Please check this link for further details.

For domestic returnees it is auto approval and the regular 14 days quarantine continues.

TN e-pass is now liberal and gets approved irrespective of any reason, just in 2 minutes time. Earlier, TN was very stringent.

It is high time we do away with these e-passes and allow public to move across borders. It is a joke to see central govt saying something and the states implementing whatever they feel like.

For KL short visit: https://covid19jagratha.kerala.nic.in/home/shortVisit
Med emergency: https://covid19jagratha.kerala.nic.i...lEmergencyPass
The above 2 requires supporting docs.

Regular one: https://covid19jagratha.kerala.nic.in/home/addDomestic (gets auto approved and requires 14 days quarantine)

Hope further unlock versions (fingers crossed till Sept 1) takes away all these e-pass systems.

Last edited by deemash : 27th August 2020 at 15:02.
deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 17:44   #12713
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
T

Hope further unlock versions (fingers crossed till Sept 1) takes away all these e-pass systems.
Just waiting to see if there are some changes post 1st Sep. On one side KL has all travel rules and on other side we see political parties conducting agitations, protests, marches in the state flouting all social distancing norms into air.
Feel the restrictions should now be limited to gatherings/events/ceremonies.
Same time dont understand the logic of starting KSRTC services from KA to KL during Onam season when the expectation is for the travelers to be at HQ for 14 days the moment you reach your place :-)

Last edited by pms : 27th August 2020 at 17:53.
pms is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 19:07   #12714
BHPian

Going by the daily news briefing by CM, a respite is not in sight. Everyday the state govt is building up the case for not lifting the restrictions. Today he indicated that it may be the starting of the peak and the comparisons against KA and TN in terms of how the fatalities are contained in KL.

Quote:
Same time dont understand the logic of starting KSRTC services from KA to KL during Onam season when the expectation is for the travelers to be at HQ for 14 days the moment you reach your place :-)
Found this in one of the news in TOI, official indicating possible lifting of restrictions in September.

Quote:
Meanwhile, KSRTC on Wednesday resumed services to Kerala after a gap of nearly four months. Officials said they are operating Onam special buses from Bengaluru and Mysuru till September 5. “We hope to restart inter-state services by September second week,” said an official, adding that no separate approval/e-permit will be required.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 20:14   #12715
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the unlock 3 guidelines will reiterate the unrestricted travel guideline. My feel is that post Onam , Kerala would remove the registration and quarantine restrictions. Doing it now would result in a huge Onam rush into the state which they would want to avoid.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 21:04   #12716
Senior - BHPian

I have to ask why central ministry of home affairs even bother with a direct order to the respective state secretaries to open the borders when there is no enforcement of this. Stop making people get down compulsorily at crowded places and stand in line like check points or for registrations and risk giving Covid to someone who was until then disease free. If you must then ask for registrations but let people pass after scanning QR codes without having them disembark from the vehicles.

There is no reason to limit travel or to block borders now the enemy is now inside these closed borders. I have stopped watching for Covid numbers in the state or in the district, it does not make any sense now. All that matters or mattered, now then but more so now, is to limit exposure by all means take precautions by each individual on their own for their own and their family's sake if it matters. It is hightime the govt stop nannying people and restrict their movement and let them go about their lives with the new normal.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 10:27   #12717
pms
BHPian

Covid cases in KL hasn't reached the numbers of KA or other states, one of the reasons why I feel state govt still exercise control by restricting the borders and HQ rules. For instance in KA, one is no longer worried about the numbers as we have passed that stage and life is more or less back to normal outdoors. BLR alone clocks cases equal to the whole of KL day wise. Safety and caution is more left to individuals now as the govt machinery can do only so much once it crosses a certain number. Govt can continue controlling public gatherings & events and focus more towards improving the health sector.
Not to undermine the efforts of KL govt/health sector which I feel is more organized than other states but time has come to lift the name sake restrictions.

Last edited by pms : 28th August 2020 at 10:30.
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 11:43   #12718
BHPian

Friends - I have couple of questions. (assuming the epass system to continue in Kerala)

I need to visit my wife's grand mother. She is bed ridden and wanted to see us. I do not have KL address proof in any documents, my wife has KL passport address. My kids also do not have KL address proof.

I just need to visit her and come back the same day from Coimbatore-Cherthala-Coimbatore.
I tried applying short visit pass but it always gets rejected as I don't have proper docs to prove my claim.

Is KL address mandatory to apply domestic returnees pass? (https://covid19jagratha.kerala.nic.in/home/addDomestic)

If not mandatory, can I apply this pass which will be auto approved. Reach Cherthala in the morning and return to Coimbatore in the evening? Will I be caught somewhere if this can be done?

or please suggest any other way I can reach SRTL and come back to CBE just spending couple of hours in SRTL

Last edited by deemash : 28th August 2020 at 11:50.
Old 28th August 2020, 12:14   #12719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I do not have KL address proof in any documents, my wife has KL passport address. My kids also do not have KL address proof.
May be, if your wife applies for an ePass, she might have a better chance of approval (as her passport address is from Kerala). I feel your pass is being rejected as they think "Why does a resident of TN want to visit Kerala, now?" For an answer to this question, you must show them a convincing reason.

For domestic returnees pass, a 14 day HQ is mandatory, this does not help you, I guess. On the other hand short visit ePass is applicable only for business, official, trade, medical, court cases, property management or any like purposes.

https://kerala.gov.in/documents/1018...9-1a30597db782

So, in your case, I feel your wife is eligible for the short visit. So may be she can try an application with the rest of your family members as co-passengers. Do let us know the outcome. Good luck.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 13:00   #12720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to visit my wife's grand mother. She is bed ridden and wanted to see us. I do not have KL address proof in any documents, my wife has KL passport address. My kids also do not have KL address proof.

I just need to visit her and come back the same day from Coimbatore-Cherthala-Coimbatore.
I tried applying short visit pass but it always gets rejected as I don't have proper docs to prove my claim.

Is KL address mandatory to apply domestic returnees pass?

If not mandatory, can I apply this pass which will be auto approved. Reach Cherthala in the morning and return to Coimbatore in the evening? Will I be caught somewhere if this can be done?

or please suggest any other way I can reach SRTL and come back to CBE just spending couple of hours in SRTL
If you do not live too far from the border (based on your previous post) it is worth to give it a try at Walayar. Register for the pass if its auto approved well and good otherwise they may ask you register at Walayar and let you proceed. What is the worst that could happen? They will ask to you to return.

If you are allowed to proceed from Walayar I do not think you will be harassed anywhere in between Border - Cherthala - Border. Really hope that they scrap this whole epass thing at the earliest.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks