Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2013, 11:49   #6076

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There are countless reasons that people I know cite for not going to Kerala - congested roads and terrible drivers, the killer private buses and tipper lorries, road closure during night time, Walayar check post, non-availability of train tickets year round, that even superfast trains have stops every 20-30 km, that flights via Jeddah/Dubai/Qatar often appear to be more convenient... let us add this one also to that list. :-)
Well regarding congested roads and terrible drivers, you should once drive in the cities of either Kanpur, Varanasi, or Ghaziabad. Then kerala drivers might seem like divine people.

BTW, I am still waiting for the reply about the Hosur - Krishnagiri stretch issues. Is it better to divert from Attible or continue?

Given that I am travelling to Kerala on Thursday morning (hope to avoid the weekend commuters to Kerala from Bangalore) - the earliest start I can will be 9:30 AM (not before that). Sadly, I do have to start from close to Majestic (Railway Divisional Office). What should be the way for me to get out of the city traffic.
Old 1st December 2013, 11:57   #6077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Two questions here
1. How bad will be crossing CBE town around 12 noon? If its easy, I will visit a fried there.
2. Bad roads between CBE and Alathur OR traffic in Palladam/Pollachi and narrow roads/traffic of Nemmara& Kollangode? Not able to choose one.
Generally 12 noon in Coimbatore is ok. Again depends on which part of kovai you would be visiting. Check out chalakudy visiting hours, as even if you start by 2 pm from Coimbatore after lunch, you may reach chalakudy late in the evening.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 12:53   #6078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphilip.iitk View Post
BTW, I am still waiting for the reply about the Hosur - Krishnagiri stretch issues. Is it better to divert from Attible or continue?
Not necessary I would say. Stick to the 4-lane. If you leave on a week day, I think it should be better. Roads are decent to good. Now all you have to beat is the traffic.
Old 1st December 2013, 13:55   #6079
BHPian

According to The Hindu, Chengapalli-Walayar road project will be ready by next July. One needs to read it with a pinch of salt since as per the news item land acquisition in the Madukkarai to Walayar sector is not yet completed.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle5396727.ece

-- Wind
Old 1st December 2013, 15:25   #6080
BHPian

Hello Folks! I'm planning to do a trip Hyderabad to Kerala on my Duke 390 sometime in mid of this month. I was looking for the latest updates on road conditions on either of these routes:

I'm putting up Bangalore at the start becuase I don't think there is any dispute in the route for Hyderbad > Bangalore.

Bangalore > Salem> Madurai > Thenkasi > Punalur > Kottarakkara > Pandalam

Bangalore > Salem > Aluva > Allapuzha > Changanessery > Pandalam

Bangalore > Salem > Aluva > Kayankulam > Mavelikkara > Pandalam

Please suggest which would be the fastest/safest route and needless to say I need to avoid any bad roads
Old 1st December 2013, 19:30   #6081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well regarding congested roads and terrible drivers, you should once drive in the cities of either Kanpur, Varanasi, or Ghaziabad.
Well, everyone thinks his or her own place is the worst. :-) All the issues that I posted were told to me by various Malayalees who I have encountered during the last 10 years or so.

Quote:
That stretch is usually discussed in the Bangalore-Chennai thread. I came from Chennai this morning, and will report on road conditions there shortly.
Old 1st December 2013, 21:20   #6082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sadly, I do have to start from close to Majestic (Railway Divisional Office). What should be the way for me to get out of the city traffic.
Majestic Railway station on your left/Bus stand on right
Take right at next signal
Continue straight on flyover (Sheshadri Road)
Fire station on your left
Freedom Park on your right
Continue straight after bus stop
Take the straight small two way road at next signal (KR Circle) to enter Karnataka Fisheries/Cubbon Park. (Buses will take right/left at this circle. Only small vehicles will take straight road)
Circle inside Cubbon park
Follow main traffic and exit after High court (Brick color building) to take Cafe Coffee Day signal
Continue straight at CCD signal (CCD comes on your left)
Stadium on your right
Mallya Hospital on your left
ITC Gardenai Hotel on your left
IOC bunk on your left
Follow main road turns left (Hotel Ramanashree in front) to Richmond Circle
Take right at Richmond Circle, some 100 meters Under flyover
(Aromas of China on left, HDFC office on your right)
Take left at first small signal (in front of Madhus Enterprises tyre shope) and enter Lavelle Road (Don't go to the main signal)
Hockey stadium on left
Continue straight on next signal (Nanjappa Circle)
Dead end, take right (Elgin Apartments, brick building), you are on Hosur Road
No left and right, take all straight roads/flyovers till Silkboard/Electronics City/Hosur.

Here is the Google maps link:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=G...via=2&t=m&z=17

(Post edited to highlight main instructions)

Last edited by coolclouds : 1st December 2013 at 21:35.
coolclouds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 21:29   #6083
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sadly, I do have to start from close to Majestic (Railway Divisional Office). What should be the way for me to get out of the city traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Majestic Railway station on your left/Bus stand on right
It would be difficult to follow the instructions. Please see the google route link in Cool cloud's post and save it to your google account. (Hope you an Android phone with data connection). Access this saved route through google maps and navigate to hit Hosur road. That would be the easiest option.
Old 2nd December 2013, 01:11   #6084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Annur-Karumathampattu-NH47. That way you bypass CBE town.
Many say its good now. If you are not OK with, you can do : Annur-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Kollengode-Vadakkenchery-Thrichur-Chalakudy.
(This option is about 20km more) Crossing Pollachi should not be that bad.
I have enough time with me. Since I am travelling with my daughter, i prefer a route where good hotels are available frequently, hence preferred is CBE bypass/PLKD.

My friend lives near Gandhipuram in CBE. So I will have to cross the whole town if I decide to visit him.Will this route add more than 30 mts of Annur/CBE bypass route? (excluding the time I spend on my friends place)

OT - Anybody tried the Kunnakulam bypass proposed by Gmaps? How is the road condition and trafffic?
Old 2nd December 2013, 06:06   #6085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not necessary I would say. Stick to the 4-lane. If you leave on a week day, I think it should be better. Roads are decent to good. Now all you have to beat is the traffic.
Last week i traveled on the 4 lane for about 6-7 times; not a single time i got stuck; just that one has to crawl for 200-300 meters near the TN checkpost side.
Old 2nd December 2013, 06:35   #6086
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OT - Anybody tried the Kunnakulam bypass proposed by Gmaps? How is the road condition and trafffic?
Yes, this is a good way to bypass Kunnamkulam town by taking the road from Kecheri to Akkikavu. I had taken this during my trip from Calicut to Valparai in May 2012 (was recommended by @ranjitp1). Traffic was low and road was in good condition.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:48   #6087
BHPian

Did Bangalore-Tirur trip on 30th Nov. (via Kanakapura, Chamarajanagara, Gundlupet, Gudalur, Nilambur). Started at 4 AM. The stretch up to Gundlupet was a breeze with sparse traffic post Kanakapura. Could reach Bandipur by 8 AM. Mudumalai forest road is bad, so is Nadugani ghat section. Reached Nilambur at 11:30 AM (after some breaks). Traffic was very heavy in Nilambur-Tirur stretch and we could reach Tirur only at 2 PM!
motorsan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:47   #6088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HSR Layout - Kollegal - Sathyamangalam - CBE town - PLKD - Chalakudy.
Only me and my 5 yr old daughter. Any one want to join us, feel free.
Why Sathy route?The 4laners are fast and plenty of wayside restaurants now.Ofcourse toll being the downside.

CBE traffic at any time of the day is bad and esp if you dont know the roads,its a mess.

Palladam hardly has any traffic whether you are coming from CBE or from Perundurai.

Pollachi is also straight forward.Yes Narrow roads between Kollengode and Alathur,but then traffic is hardly present on those roads.There is no need to go to Nemmara if you are coming via Pollachi.

Two questions here
1. How bad will be crossing CBE town around 12 noon? If its easy, I will visit a fried there.
2. Bad roads between CBE and Alathur OR traffic in Palladam/Pollachi and narrow roads/traffic of Nemmara& Kollangode? Not able to choose one.

Quote:
Chalakudy - Kunnamkulam - Perumpilavu - Pattabmbi - Nilambur - Gudallur - Mysore - BGLR
Take the right at Kecheri and connect straight to Perumpilavu.Hardly any traffic.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 13:45   #6089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Why Sathy route?

Take the right at Kecheri and connect straight to Perumpilavu.Hardly any traffic.
Just for a change of route. Salem route is boring. My daughter should be sleeping most of the time till I reach sathyamangalam.

Thanks for the kunnamkulam bypass info. I will try this time. I will have gmaps to help navigate if I am lost.
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:34   #6090
BHPian

Friends,

I am planning to visit Kumarakom this Christmas along with family

Need your help in suggesting the best route (scenic route would be a plus) based on your experience and present road conditions:

1. Bangalore - Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Cumbum - Kumily - Kottayam - Kumarakom (got this route from Laluks TL)

2. Bangalore - Chamarajanagara - Sathyamangalam - Kanjikode - Palakkad - Alathur - (Salem-Kanyakumary Hwy) - Kumarakom

My ride: All New Honda City

Thanks in Advance,
Kiran

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks