Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 19:03   #6826
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
This is strange. Only two weeks back (27 April) there was notification from NHAI in same paper, Mathrubhoomi asking landowners to contact them. This was for section between Thalaserry & Koyilandy.
NHAI drops two road projects

Quote:
Cites delay in land acquisition, failure to arrive at consensus on width

The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has ‘omitted’ the 172-km Kazhakuttam-Cherthala and 111.73-km Edappally-Kuttipuram NH stretches from the National Highway Development Project (NHDP). The roads were to be developed into four-lane carriageways.
Quote:
With the omission, the NHDP works in the State would now be confined to the development of the stretches, namely, Walayar-Wadakkancherry (55 km), Wadakkancherry-Mannuthy (22 km), and Kazhakuttam-Inchivila (43 km). Of these, work had started on the first two stretches. The NHAI had tendered work on the four-laning of the Kazhakuttom-Inchivila bypass up to Mukkola.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle5983587.ece

I suppose we will be driving on the existing narrow highways in Kerala for the foreseeable future. I have no hope that Kerala Government would be able to raise the resources needed to implement the project on its own (Kazhakuttam-Cherthala stretch was estimated at 4000 crore in 2009).
Old 9th May 2014, 07:36   #6827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
I suppose we will be driving on the existing narrow highways in Kerala for the foreseeable future. I have no hope that Kerala Government would be able to raise the resources needed to implement the project on its own (Kazhakuttam-Cherthala stretch was estimated at 4000 crore in 2009).
I don't think it will be that bad. With a new government at Delhi, it is very likely that MoRTH will see a new cabinet minister, and that can alter the situation. I personally feel that the complete standstill in road development in Kerala is to a large extent attributable to the extremely stubborn, non-negotiable positions taken by Oscar Fernandes on various issues (eg: there has to be a single standard for highways all across India with zero weightage for local considerations).

On the other hand, I do agree that widening existing highways in Kerala is a tall ask. We need to develop alternatives - for example, the mooted eastern alternate highway from north to south of the state.

Last edited by binand : 9th May 2014 at 07:39.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 07:50   #6828
Senior - BHPian

Did Cochin Palghat Cochin on May 04. Hired a Verito cab for the trip. I did not have my car. We had a good driver too. My only complaint was his ultra mileage mode driving lead to a few risky over taking maneuvers. By this I mean, he was lazy to shift down so over taking was done slowly. Then again, the mileage mode driving went a long way in gas mileage. We fueled for just Rs. 1000 and did 320km. Incredible. About the roads, its good for the most part. What a relief to see Kuthiran ghat section in a pot hole free state. The trouble starts after Alathur. The roads are patchy and slows you down quite a bit. Even with this we managed the journey in 3.5 hours. It was a non stop run from Cochin. Speeds never went above 90kmph. What I observed is, on the four lane stretch from Cochin to Trichur by pass, drivers of both private and hired vehicles drive well. Hell breaks loose on the single carriage way stretch after the Trichur by pass leading to Palghat. Dangerous over taking, speeding, etc.
Old 9th May 2014, 08:27   #6829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
We fueled for just Rs. 1000 and did 320km. Incredible.
Rs. 3 per km? What I wouldn't do for such a CPK number. :-) I average between 2.5 to 2.8 times that.

Quote:
What I observed is, on the four lane stretch from Cochin to Trichur by pass, drivers of both private and hired vehicles drive well.
Probably due to all the enforcement cameras Rishi Raj Singh has placed on this stretch. There have been several feel-good, compeuppance stories in the press too -just yesterday there was one on the arrest of a hit-and-run driver a couple of months after the incident ("luxury car owner hits lottery seller, arrested after months, cameras helped").
Old 9th May 2014, 08:33   #6830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Rs. 3 per km? What I wouldn't do for such a CPK number. :-) I average between 2.5 to 2.8 times that.
This cpk corresponds to about 19.5kmpl. my cpk is twice in a petrol hatchback.
Old 9th May 2014, 09:13   #6831
jp1
BHPian

Anyone knows the current status of Dindigul->Theni->Cumbum->Kumali->Kottayam route? Is there any issue due to the heavy rains battering Kerala?
Thanks...
Old 9th May 2014, 09:23   #6832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Anyone knows the current status of Dindigul->Theni->Cumbum->Kumali->Kottayam route? Is there any issue due to the heavy rains battering Kerala?
Saw news report that road was blocked near Kumili due to landslide which happened day before yesterday. They were expecting the road to be opened only in two days, guess it should be by now.
However, do note that it is still raining heavily in Kerala.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 09:59   #6833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Thanks...
According to yesterday's "The Hindu", due to landnslidebat Lower Camp between Kumily and Cumbum, traffic is closed on this route and is diverted via Cumbum mettu. Debris clearance may take two or more days.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 10:22   #6834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post

One update on this route is, for those who stay on OMR/ECR and want to travel to south TN , Thiruporur-Chengalpet is the best option to avoid all the madness on GST atleast till Chengalpet.
And now,the icing on the cake is that the railway overbridge at Chengalpet is open, so one more reason to take this route.
Do you mean this route http://goo.gl/maps/7LM2Y ? I presume you would need to go through the Chengalpet town to reach the Highway and how is the traffic in going through the town ? I plan to start from Sholinganallur by 2PM today to Palakkad and thinking to try this route. So appreciate a quick response if possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
For the return trip,took Ekm-Trichur-vadakkancherry-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Karur-Trichy-Chengaplet-OMR

I could have avoided Trichy by taking the deviation at Kulithulai but then thought of having some refreshments and hence took the Trichy route. There is not much difference in distance if you take the Trichy route(10-15 kms max I guess)

Pollachi-Dharapuram-Karur route is a pleasure to drive with no traffic and smooth roads (ofcourse no facilities as well which is a drawback but then if we plan the breaks, this is not really a drawback)
How about the roads beyond Karur till Trichy ? Are they 2 lane or 4 lane ?

Quote:
Thiruporur town has the temple traffic; been stuck here too couple of times.

Google Maps shows a road from Mambakkam on the Kelambakkam-Vandalur road that joins the Thiruporur-Chengalpattu road; this might combine the best aspects of both the routes.
Has anyone ever tried this detour and any idea how the roads are ?
Old 9th May 2014, 10:42   #6835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Do you mean this route http://goo.gl/maps/7LM2Y ? I presume you would need to go through the Chengalpet town to reach the Highway and how is the traffic in going through the town ? I plan to start from Sholinganallur by 2PM today to Palakkad and thinking to try this route. So appreciate a quick response if possible
yes the route is correct. It is pretty much straight. Once you see the railway overbridge, get on to it and when you climb down,take a left and follow the road all the way till you see GST passing above and then take the service road to join GST. The roads are wide enough on this part and hence it should be an easy drive till GST joining point.

Quote:
Once you turn off from Trichy, the roads are 2 lane. Better option would be to turn off at peramblur so that you can rejoin the Karur Trichy route at Kulithulai.

I am not sure whether for Palghat, this is the shortest route but then it is a traffic free route plus good roads. Only thing to be noted is how to navigate towns like pollachi/dharapuram etc.With a GPS, it should be pretty easy.

Quote:
Has anyone ever tried this detour and any idea how the roads are ?
I haven't tried this but since you plan to start at 2 PM, I would suggest to take the kelambakkam/thiruporur route
joecherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 10:43   #6836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Extended 2 lane tolled road. Refer post # 509 in the link shown below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...dition-34.html
Old 9th May 2014, 13:14   #6837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CPK to us was actually Rs. 12 per km. Don't know if this is a good or bad deal. I made a mistake. One way distance from our house gate to the folks we were visiting in PGT was 140km.

Its a win win for the tax owner/operator. We paid Rs. 3650 for the air conditioned Verito. Take out Rs. 1000 from that for fuel. Effective cost for just the cab rental Rs. 2650.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 9th May 2014 at 13:16.
Old 9th May 2014, 14:45   #6838
Senior - BHPian

Off topic: Anyone visiting Thekkady can book boating online through www.periyarfoundation.org. An excess charhe of Rs. 16 applicable on each ticket and you have to provide ID details.

Only 25% tickets are up for sale online.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 15:00   #6839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One way distance from our house gate to the folks we were visiting in PGT was 140km.

Its a win win for the tax owner/operator. We paid Rs. 3650 for the air conditioned Verito.
That is 3650/(140+140) = Rs. 13 per km, which is quite low even for Kerala. You I think got a very good deal.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 09:50   #6840
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove from Bangalore to calicut yesterday. Was pretty much raining throughout. Took the Standard Mysore bathery route as I left at 4.30am. Roads continue to be good. Mysore road humps seemed to have been toned down after the retarring.. Still no reduction in number though. Number of humps in the mysore gundlepet stretch seems to have increased.The rains have brought the forest back to life. Very beautiful. Captured the below video when I was descending the wayanad ghats. Not something I expected at 11am in the month of may.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks