Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2014, 09:46   #7261
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeku View Post
Bangalore - Guruvayoor?
Debating between Bangalore - Mysore - Wayanad - Guruvayoor (shorter, traffic, bad roads?)
Bangalore - Salem - Erode - Trissur - Guruvayoor (longer, may be faster, better roads?)
Salem- Thrissur route will be the stress free one. With an early morning / late evening start you can reach Thrissur within 8 hours of leaving Silk board junction.
Budget approx 45 mins for Thrissur - Guruvayoor.

If travelling via Mysore - Wayanad with an early morning (~3AM ) start from Bangalore you can reach Calicut bye-pass by 09.30 AM. Based on traffic you may take around 3 hours from Calicut - Guruvayoor. With a late start you will have to add around 2 hours more to this.

Another route you can consider is NH 209 till Annur, take a left there to join Nh 47 between Avinashi and Coimbatore and proceed as per your first route.
Old 18th August 2014, 11:19   #7262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did any one recently drive Bangalore - Guruvayoor?
Debating between Bangalore - Mysore - Wayanad - Guruvayoor (shorter, traffic, bad roads?)
and
Bangalore - Salem - Erode - Trissur - Guruvayoor (longer, may be faster, better roads?)
Bangalore-Wayanad-Guruvayur is a bad choice, as it will be quite longer (at least by about 60-70 km) than the other routes with no compensatory benefit. It is always better to go via Salem than taking this route.

Bangalore-Nilambur-Guruvayur is probably the shortest, but in this route you have to go via the super-horrible Theppakkad-Gudalur stretch (about 12 km, at a guess).

Once you enter Kerala via Wayanad or Nilambur, the road conditions are generally good all the way till Guruvayur.
Old 18th August 2014, 11:24   #7263

Thank you all. I will take the Salem route then.

I heard horror stories about Nilambur road condition.

Regards
Sreekumar
Old 18th August 2014, 11:37   #7264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Scenic drive is not the objective - have driven through Wayanad many times in the past. Looking for road conditions and faster travel time.
Best Option: (Fastest in my opinion and has good roads all the way)

Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakkanchery-Kunnamkulam-GVR

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 12:08   #7265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Alathur-Pazhayannur-Wadakkanchery-Kunnamkulam-GVR
After considering all the expert opinion received in TeamBHP, I did use this route for the long week end travel. I had marked all the points on my MapMyIndia device, and this considerably improved the comfort levels.

I never knew that Mangalam had a railway level crossing . Because that would be for the main line (double line between JTJ & CBE) where train traffic is quite high. But now there is no reason to worry any ways. There is a road over bridge out there.

On the return leg also we took the same route, and all passengers this time was happy with the road condition and scenery as well . We also had a lunch break for 45 minutes at a village.

The current verdict: We would henceforth go via this route, so that the irritating L&T byepass, Chavadi and Walayar areas can be ignored for good.

One thing I have noticed is that during long week ends the Toll Booths at Attibele and Krishnagiri are becoming a nightmare. I am reminded of the long queue of vehicles which we see on highways in foreign countries.

I have found out ways to byepass Attibele Toll booth, but need to figure out a good way to skip Krishnagiri Toll booth as well. Yesterday it took almost 30 minutes to cross Krishnagiri Toll. Vehicles were piling up (towards BLR). Finally Krishnagiri Traffic police had to bring in additional men, and they managed to get another two toll counters opened !! They closed down two counters on the other side of road (coming in from BLR), and started using that to push the traffic towards Bangalore. By that time I realised that Hosur area was also getting traffic blocks. So decided to skip Zuzuvadi and Attibele. Attibele toll booth is technically inside Karnataka state, and I don't have any much hopes on Bangalore Rural Dt. Police (at Attibele) to do any thing to control the chaos.
Old 18th August 2014, 14:00   #7266
BHPian

Friends, my small update for this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3507776

Shanks

Still the road between Palakkad and CBE by-pass is under construction and bumpy.

Shanks

Last edited by noopster : 18th August 2014 at 16:16. Reason: Please don't post back-to-back, EDIT your post instead within 20min window
Old 18th August 2014, 14:19   #7267
BHPian

Planning to drive to Mavelikkara (Alappuzha) from Bangalore on 5th of Sept. Considering that it is the Onam weekend, I expect heavy rush on the roads. I am researching on these options:

1) Bangalore -> Salem -> Palakkad -> Ernakulam -> Kayamkulam -> Mavelikkara

2) Bangalore -> Salem -> Palakkad -> Perumpavoor -> Kottayam -> Mavelikkara

3) Bangalore -> Salem -> Dindigul -> Kumily -> Ranny -> Mavelikkara

4) Bangalore -> Salem -> Madurai -> Tenkasi -> Punalur -> Mavelikkara

- Which is the fastest route?

- Is the S curve at Tenkasi still a bottleneck?

- How is the state of NH inside Kerala?

I like the last option better because most of the drive is in Tamil Nadu where the roads are better, but really worried about the S curve.

Thanks to everyone in advance.
Old 18th August 2014, 14:53   #7268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshanks View Post
Still the road between Palakkad and CBE by-pass is under construction and bumpy.
There's no construction happening between Walayar and Madukkarai - it's just a mess that was created after luring everyone with a smooth, wide highway, almost a decade ago.
Old 18th August 2014, 15:05   #7269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

I have found out ways to byepass Attibele Toll booth, but need to figure out a good way to skip Krishnagiri Toll booth as well.
If you do not mind not so good roads, you can take the attibele-TVS factory-rayakottai-palacode-dharmapuri route. This way you can completely bypass attibele and krishnagiri toll booths. Roads are bad in stretches and the tarmac is broken in many places last I went. But it beats the mess at the toll booths.

They need to figure out a way to expand the krishnagiri toll booth. Even on regular weekends, it is a mess
Old 18th August 2014, 15:11   #7270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
If you do not mind not so good roads, you can take the attibele-TVS factory-rayakottai-palacode-dharmapuri route.
Thanks for the pointer. Let me try plotting it on the map first. Good roads are important as well, because many times there would be aged people and a baby travelling with me. A way I used to avoid the Krishnagiri Toll booth mess is to cross it by around 15:00Hrs to 16:00Hrs (which means I need to start early from home). At this time what I have observed is that folks from Chennai and Kerala side would not be present in large numbers. They all generally start piling up after 17:00Hrs - the idea being to reach Bangalore by around 20:00Hrs and take good rest.
Old 18th August 2014, 17:39   #7271
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A way I used to avoid the Krishnagiri Toll booth mess is to cross it by around 15:00Hrs to 16:00Hrs (which means I need to start early from home). At this time what I have observed is that folks from Chennai and Kerala side would not be present in large numbers. They all generally start piling up after 17:00Hrs - the idea being to reach Bangalore by around 20:00Hrs and take good rest.
The only way is to beat them to it. Plan in such a way that you are at Silk Board before six. Which translates to what Sachin mentioned. Cross Krishnagiri by 4/4:30 at max. Beyond, that its way too painful. Sachin, meanwhile can you mention what route you take to bypass the Attibele toll?

Last edited by ampere : 18th August 2014 at 17:41.
Old 18th August 2014, 18:17   #7272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sachin, meanwhile can you mention what route you take to bypass the Attibele toll?
Silk Board->Electronics City->Bommasandra->Chandapura->Attibele. Here do not cross the fly over but keep left and reach Attibele circle.

Attibele Circle->TVS Road->TVS check post (enter Tamil Nadu)->Junction with roads going towards Rayakottai, Hosur.

At this junction->Take right turn to proceed to Hosur->Cross a railway level crossing->The road leads you to NH7 again.

Take a sharp left turn here and you are back on the main highway.

Let me see if I can plot it on a map and share the URL as well.
Old 18th August 2014, 19:26   #7273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Let me see if I can plot it on a map and share the URL as well.
Am aware of this route. Just wanted to know if you were looking at any other option. The utility of this options comes good if you use it all the way to drive past Krishnagiri via Palacode/Dharmapuri. But mostly with an early start, at least I am still able to beat the traffic at the toll booths. So to that effect, I never felt the need for the alternative route. But still I have taking such routes more for fun!
Old 18th August 2014, 19:41   #7274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did any one recently drive Bangalore - Guruvayoor?
and

Scenic drive is not the objective - have driven through Wayanad many times in the past. Looking for road conditions and faster travel time.

Thanks in advance
Sreekumar
If faster travel time is one's objective don't look beyond
Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore bypass-Palakkad-Pattambi-Guruvayur.
I have done this route umpteen times.
Quote:
Best Option: (Fastest in my opinion and has good roads all the way)

Route Link
Why take such a route when you have an almost straight road in the form of NH with acceptable road conditions from Avinashi to Palakkad? Also road from Palakkad to Kunnamkulam is excellent with less traffic. The Alathur route was being suggested as an option to Thrissur when NH between Palakkad and Thrissur was in horrible condition. I may still use it if my destination is Thrissur, for Kunnamkulam/Guruvayur the other option is the best.

Last edited by poloman : 18th August 2014 at 20:01.
Old 18th August 2014, 20:45   #7275
Senior - BHPian

Hosur-Palacode-Thoppur route is in good condition and comfortable for 80-100 speeds. Its shorter by some 15+ kms and running time remains almost same for above speeds.

During busy hours, it saves time going via Attibelle -Palacode route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks