Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 15:24   #7396
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Any possibility of sending a update or PM once you reach home. I am planning to travel on Saturday.
FundaG
I'll update here once I reach. Haven't got PM privileges, as I've joined TBHP recently. Anyone else going this route before 5th SEP?

Salem->Thirumangalam->Shenkottai->Aryankavu->Thenmala->Punalur?
Horizon81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:25   #7397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Just did Bangalore - cochin, Cochin Bangalore over the last 4 days, Took the much recommended Bangalore-Selam-Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad Trissur-Ernakulam while going to Kerala and the roads were a breeze.

However while coming back, took the walayar route, The roads are in pathetic condition bundled with heavy traffic and intense rain. So folks driving down on the weekend take the first route as mentioned in my post.

Hope this helps!
Driving tonight. Is anyone else doing the same today?
Plan to try the pollachi route even though its unfamiliar. I was thinking of taking the Shornur route after walayar, but since the roads after Wadakkencherry are pretty ok, Pollachi appeals more.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:48   #7398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Plan to try the pollachi route even though its unfamiliar. I was thinking of taking the Shornur route after walayar, but since the roads after Wadakkencherry are pretty ok, Pollachi appeals more.
Take Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkancherry route. Its much recommended over NH47. You can try Kollengode-Alathur-Vadakkancherry or Kollengode-Nenmara-Vadakkancherry, both are good.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/11...572737!1m0!3e0

With a deviation from Avinashi, you can avoid many irritating humps till L&T.

Last edited by coolclouds : 3rd September 2014 at 11:50.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:56   #7399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Take Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkancherry route. Its much recommended over NH47. You can try Kollengode-Alathur-Vadakkancherry or Kollengode-Nenmara-Vadakkancherry, both are good.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/11...572737!1m0!3e0

With a deviation from Avinashi, you can avoid many irritating humps till L&T.
Thanks coolclouds. Wpuld like to avoid lonely stretches. Dont have much company.
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:20   #7400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks coolclouds. Wpuld like to avoid lonely stretches. Dont have much company.
Follow the suggestion given by coolclouds. Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi is a straight road without any deviations. Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakkenchery is also fairly straight, once you enter the SH. Don't worry about lonely stretches, it's as safe as the NHs.

Please avoid the stretch between Walayar and Vadakkenchery - not worth the pain.

Last edited by silversteed : 3rd September 2014 at 14:21.
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:55   #7401
BHPian

Wayanad-guruvayoor- Alleppey - Took the route as bindad suggested. We had many stop overs to meet friends so could not calulate time. Overall road conditions were good.

Last Saturday , I drove back from Alleppey to Wayanad.I took Alleppey-Edappally- Aluva-Mannuthy -Thrissur - Kunnamkulam -Calicut-Wayand route. Google map showed 6.37 hours to cover 350kms however it took 12 hours

Edappally to Lulu mall was a horror , 1.5 hours in traffic jam. The rest of the journey was not that different. Kerala highways have to cut across so many small towns and you have a small town/junction every 2 -3kilometers, and heavy rains throughout my journey. No more long drive through Kerala for sure.
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:16   #7402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Believe that should be till Chengannur, right. Cos the MC road from Chengannur to TVM is usually in good condition at all times. Though its been 4-5 months since I drove in that stretch, still I dont think it would be that deteriorated.

FundaG
MC road, Tvm-Chengannur is still in good shape.
There are just three places where it is broken. Ayoor junction, Just before the Adoor bypass and one more place which I donot recollect now. Had some heavy traffic around these broken patches last weekend.

But once you cross Chengannur, its horrible, with huge potholes all around :(
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:59   #7403
BHPian

Driving to Kollam tomorrow. Starting early morning. Which route is the best at this time? Through Coimbatore, Ernakulam? Or via Tenkasi? Or is it worth driving via Madurai, Nagarkoil, Trivandrum?
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:34   #7404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Driving to Kollam tomorrow. Starting early morning. Which route is the best at this time? Through Coimbatore, Ernakulam? Or via Tenkasi? Or is it worth driving via Madurai, Nagarkoil, Trivandrum?
Starting early morning means you will end up in peak hours right from Avinashi. A strict no for driving through NH47 as the roads are bad along with peak Onam traffic. All roads would be crowded. Take NH7 to have a peaceful drive.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:32   #7405
BHPian

Quote:
As Bejoy said, NH47 seems to be in pretty bad shape, even if it is not civic.
For the other two depends on what time you are starting. If you plan to cross over to Kerala after 8-9pm or before 7am consider Nagercoil, otherwise Tenkasi -Punalur is the best option now a days (did this one and NH47 a month back).
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:43   #7406
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely won't advise NH47. Also, isn't Madurai, Nagarkoil, TVM a lengthier route to Kollam?

I drove the Tenkasi route in July, and the roads were good. Advantage of this route is that you only need to drive ~60Kms on Kerala roads.

Could you please update on the road condition from Tenmala -> Punalur -> Kottarakkara if you finally choose to do the Tenkasi route? I'll be driving on Friday morning along the same route.
Horizon81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:46   #7407
BHPian

Quote:
Been to Karunagapally via Tenkasi/Punalur/Bharanikavu couple of weeks back. Roads are pretty good.
Prodigy07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:21   #7408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Starting early morning means you will end up in peak hours right from Avinashi. A strict no for driving through NH47 as the roads are bad along with peak Onam traffic. All roads would be crowded. Take NH7 to have a peaceful drive.
Last time I took the NH47 route on Onam eve, I was stuck on Thrissur - Ekm road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
As Bejoy said, NH47 seems to be in pretty bad shape, even if it is not civic.
For the other two depends on what time you are starting. If you plan to cross over to Kerala after 8-9pm or before 7am consider Nagercoil, otherwise Tenkasi -Punalur is the best option now a days (did this one and NH47 a month back).
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Definitely won't advise NH47. Also, isn't Madurai, Nagarkoil, TVM a lengthier route to Kollam?
Lengthier, but would avoid the ghats and most of the drive would be on TN roads, which are good.
Quote:
I drove the Tenkasi route in July, and the roads were good. Advantage of this route is that you only need to drive ~60Kms on Kerala roads.

Could you please update on the road condition from Tenmala -> Punalur -> Kottarakkara if you finally choose to do the Tenkasi route? I'll be driving on Friday morning along the same route.
Looks like I too would be driving on Friday morning only. Slight change in plans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Been to Karunagapally via Tenkasi/Punalur/Bharanikavu couple of weeks back. Roads are pretty good.
Thanks. Just worried about the Tenkasi curve and jam at the border checkpost.
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:32   #7409

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to drive to Chennai from Thrissur, this Saturday (6th Sept.)

I will have my family in the i20 and planning to start by 2 in the afternoon (there is a wedding to attend to in the morning, so cannot start much earlier).

I have two routes in mind and need expert inputs to finalize on one:

Route 1: Via Salem -> Ulundurpet -> Villupuram -> Tindivanam.... Chennai

OR

Route 2: Via Salem -> Krishnagiri -> Vellore highway -> Arcot... Chennai

Kindly advise which route would be better in terms of road conditions. I do not mind driving few kilometers extra, as long as the road condition is good and traffic is less.

Also, how is the traffic at Walayar? Being Onam season, the freight traffic would be high i guess. Is there any option to avoid Walayar?

Regards,
Jayesh
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:44   #7410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshgnath View Post
I have two routes in mind and need expert inputs to finalize on one:

Route 1: Via Salem -> Ulundurpet -> Villupuram -> Tindivanam.... Chennai
Its always this route to Chennai. Much lesser traffic beyond Salem.

Walayar? No way. You should do Kuthiran-Vadekkenchery-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi-Salem.

This would help cover distance much faster. Please chart out the map for Pollachi so as to not get lost in there. In case, you need help, ask for Palladam road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks