Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:45   #7411
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Driving to Kollam tomorrow. Starting early morning. Which route is the best at this time? Through Coimbatore, Ernakulam? Or via Tenkasi? Or is it worth driving via Madurai, Nagarkoil, Trivandrum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Starting early morning means you will end up in peak hours right from Avinashi. A strict no for driving through NH47 as the roads are bad along with peak Onam traffic. All roads would be crowded. Take NH7 to have a peaceful drive.
One disadvantage of taking the NH7 with an early morning start from Bangalore is that, would be hitting Nagercoil at peak evening traffic.
Even after reaching Trivandrum, there will be horrendous traffic at Thampanoor, Sreekaryam/bypass, Technopark, Attingal etc if hit during the 5 PM - 9 PM window.
sarathlal is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 23:08   #7412
BHPian

One more option is the Bangalore –Salem-Dindigul-Madurai-Tenkasi-Punalur- Kollam route. I drove to Kollam 2 months ago and roads were in good shape. Starting early morning at 5 AM would enable you reach Kollam by around 6:00 PM including breakfast and lunch break.

Mod Note: Your post contained [FONT] tags making it difficult to read. Please do not copy-paste content from other word processing software; rather, type directly into the posting window.

Last edited by noopster : 4th September 2014 at 11:21.
JohnyRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 06:52   #7413
Distinguished - BHPian

Note:

The entire Cochin city is one huge mess. Be the terrible roads (which is published everyday in the paper and huge traffic across the entire city thanks to Onam festival). There are lot of one ways along MG road and Chittoor road. Skip MG road is what I would say. This is my office route and it's becoming worse each day. All roads leading to MG road (AL Jacob bridge, Pullepady, South and North bridge) is crowded for the last two days. And as always, kundanoor, Vytilla, palarivattom (the worst thanks to the construction of the flyover) and edapally is crowded.

Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-10653455_10152862964405839_6612083399269368463_n.jpg  

Last edited by naveen.raju : 4th September 2014 at 07:07.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 09:22   #7414

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its always this route to Chennai. Much lesser traffic beyond Salem.

Walayar? No way. You should do Kuthiran-Vadekkenchery-Kollengode-Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi-Salem.

This would help cover distance much faster. Please chart out the map for Pollachi so as to not get lost in there. In case, you need help, ask for Palladam road.
Thank you Ampere; i will surely check out the Pollachi-Palladam route as you suggested.

Regarding Route 1 and 2, any specific reasons why Route # 2 is not preferable? Apart from traffic, how are the road surface conditions in these routes?
Old 4th September 2014, 09:37   #7415
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshgnath View Post
Regarding Route 1 and 2, any specific reasons why Route # 2 is not preferable? Apart from traffic, how are the road surface conditions in these routes?
There are more than one reasons for not choosing #2.

- Beyond Krishnagiri, you will have to battle it out with the Bangalore traffic to Chennai. That can be quite heavy
- Roads are good till Vellore/Walaja. But beyond they are quite bad. Ride is very bumpy.
- Traffic beyond Arcot is horrible, esp sand trucks. Add to the the bus menance from Kanchi to Chennai.
- The other option via Ulundurpet/Tindivanam is much-much more streamlined.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 10:01   #7416
NGM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Note:

The entire Cochin city is one huge mess. Be the terrible roads (which is published everyday in the paper and huge traffic across the entire city thanks to Onam festival).
Thanx Naveen for the update.I will be reaching Aroor/ Kumbalam Toll Plaza by 5.30 PM tomorrow(peak time) and my destination is kakkanad/edappally.

Heard from a friend who traveled last week that he took more than 1.5 hours to reach Kalamassery from toll plaza last week due to road conditions/rain.

So i was think about trying an alternate route from alleppey.
Allepey -Thannermukkam-Vaikom-Thripunithura-SeaportAirpot Road-kakkanad.
Difference is just 9 Km.

But to avoid the block in main route due to road conditions/Onam weekend, is it better to take this alternate route.

Has anyone traveled recently through Thannermukkam-Vaikom-Thripunithura road.
Old 4th September 2014, 10:29   #7417
BHPian

Hi All
I just returned from Kerala after the long weekend. the onward was the usual route to Trivandrum.
For the return (from Adoor) I decided to go for the Adoor -> Pathinamthitta -> Ranni -> Mundakayam -> Theni -> Dindigul -> Bangalore. This was my first time taking this route
The Roads in kerala are pretty decent, However the roads from Theni to Dindigul are in Not in the best shape and we ended up losing a lot of time due to traffic and small towns.We left @ 5 am and reached home @ 8:30 pm including breaks totaling to 2 hours. I generally go Via Punalur-> Thenmala -> Tenkasi-> Sankarankovil-> Kovilpatti -> Madurai -> Bangalore. These roads are much better compared to the theni route and hence would have reduced my travel time by atleast 2 hours.
I was wondering why a vast majority of the people prefer the Theni Route to the Punalur? Is there an alternate route that I missed out?

Last edited by gandalf : 4th September 2014 at 10:31.
gandalf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 12:23   #7418
BHPian

There is news that excise have caught 7000 litres of spirit at punalur yesterday. People taking Tirumangalam-Kollam route, expect delays at Aryankavu check post due to heightened checking, especially at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Hi All
I was wondering why a vast majority of the people prefer the Theni Route to the Punalur? Is there an alternate route that I missed out?
Till Adoor/Karunagapally, taking NH208 is the best option. For reaching places to the North/North-East of these places, Kumily would be ideal entry point. I usually take Theni-Kumily to reach Ranni (in-laws), and NH208 to reach Kollam (my place).
Horizon81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 12:54   #7419

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are more than one reasons for not choosing #2.

- Beyond Krishnagiri, you will have to battle it out with the Bangalore traffic to Chennai. That can be quite heavy
- Roads are good till Vellore/Walaja. But beyond they are quite bad. Ride is very bumpy.
- Traffic beyond Arcot is horrible, esp sand trucks. Add to the the bus menance from Kanchi to Chennai.
- The other option via Ulundurpet/Tindivanam is much-much more streamlined.
Thank you so much Ampere! Will stick to the route you have suggested.

Will post updates on how it went!
Old 4th September 2014, 15:11   #7420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Take Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi-Vadakkancherry route. Its much recommended over NH47. You can try Kollengode-Alathur-Vadakkancherry or Kollengode-Nenmara-Vadakkancherry, both are good.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/11...572737!1m0!3e0

With a deviation from Avinashi, you can avoid many irritating humps till L&T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Follow the suggestion given by coolclouds. Avinashi-Mangalam-Palladam-Pollachi is a straight road without any deviations. Pollachi-Nenmara-Vadakkenchery is also fairly straight, once you enter the SH. Don't worry about lonely stretches, it's as safe as the NHs.

Please avoid the stretch between Walayar and Vadakkenchery - not worth the pain.
Thanks guys. Started at 10 yesterday night. Has heavy lorry traffic till Krishnagiri. After that it was fairly clean. Follwed your suggestion, Avinashi - Mangalam - Palladam - Pollachi. Then after exiting the TN border, I saw a board direction to Thrissur, which I took. This took me thru Chittur. THe roads were broken for a while. Should I have followed the route pointing to Palakkad?
Passed thru the Thrissue toll at 6:45. After that it was a mess. The traffic after Chalakkudy is horrible at this hour. Finally reached my home at ernakulam by 9:30 thru seaport airport road.
Old 4th September 2014, 16:04   #7421
BHPian

Quote:
Note:

The entire Cochin city is one huge mess.
Any idea how bad the MC road is? And how heavy is the traffic in the evenings from angamaly to kottayam?
Old 4th September 2014, 16:13   #7422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how bad the MC road is? And how heavy is the traffic in the evenings from angamaly to kottayam?
No idea on the road condition (but heard it's pretty good) but expect a lot of traffic since Angamaly - Cochin is one major headache and people tend to take alternate routes. My friend took Chalakudy - MG Road couple of days back and it took nearly 3.5 hours (one side).
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 16:36   #7423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
No idea on the road condition (but heard it's pretty good) but expect a lot of traffic since Angamaly - Cochin is one major headache and people tend to take alternate routes. My friend took Chalakudy - MG Road couple of days back and it took nearly 3.5 hours (one side).
Muvattupuzha-Kottayam is reported to be in very bad shape as well. So if you decide to take mc road, make sure bypass at least the koothattukulam-kottayam section by going via uzhavoor-marangattupalli-kidangoor-manarcaud. Of course if going to kottayam town you'll still need to suffer the traffic mess between kanjikuzhy and town.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 17:04   #7424
BHPian

Quote:
If you are taking the seaport-airport route, be ready for delays at irumpanam jn (The one before Karingachira) and thiruvankulam (if travelling during day).
Rest should be alright. I got stuck at Irumpanam for about 40 mins at 8 AM.
Old 4th September 2014, 17:07   #7425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Thanks guys. Started at 10 yesterday night. Has heavy lorry traffic till Krishnagiri. After that it was fairly clean. Follwed your suggestion, Avinashi - Mangalam - Palladam - Pollachi. Then after exiting the TN border, I saw a board direction to Thrissur, which I took. This took me thru Chittur. THe roads were broken for a while. Should I have followed the route pointing to Palakkad?
Passed thru the Thrissue toll at 6:45. After that it was a mess. The traffic after Chalakkudy is horrible at this hour. Finally reached my home at ernakulam by 9:30 thru seaport airport road.
Had you taken the road to Palakkad, you would've merged onto NH47 at Koottupatha junction. You would've just avoided Walayar mess.

This is the route we suggested:
http://goo.gl/maps/cTLuf
silversteed is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks