Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2014, 10:27   #7996
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
From Kollengode, is it better (road quality/traffic) to go towards Alathur or towards Nemmara and join NH 47 near Vadakkancheri?
From Kollengode, the route via Nemmara to Vadakkencherry is wider whereas the one to Alathur is narrow in some places, but then it goes through some extremely green fields and is very scenic Lot of temples also enroute. Good to go on this route at least once to experience the sheer beauty of the surroundings.
When you merge with NH47 at Alathur, there is bridge and road widening work in progress, so looking purely from road condition/time perspective, it's the Nemmara-Vadallencherry route which wins at least for the time being.

Last edited by NPV : 18th December 2014 at 10:28.
Old 18th December 2014, 11:05   #7997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
...When you merge with NH47 at Alathur, there is bridge and road widening work in progress, so looking purely from road condition/time perspective, it's the Nemmara-Vadallencherry route which wins at least for the time being.
Missed mentioning this point in my earlier post. That junction is a death trap - it sees very many accidents, thanks to the acute angle at which the road joins the highway, and the rough surface.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 12:11   #7998
Senior - BHPian

I'm visiting Kerala this weekend . Bangalore to Periyar . Stay in Periyar for 2 days, then go to Aleppey. Stay in Alleppey for 2days, followed by return to Bangalore.

These are the routes I'm planning to take :

1) Blr to Periyar : Blr->Salem->Dindigul->Periyar .

2) Periyar to Aleppey : Periyar->Pala->Kallara->Alleppey.

3) Alleppey to Bangalore : What's the best route ?

I'm looking for the fastest routes on all stretches, please post any corrections. Also, what's the speed limit in Kerala, 60 kph ? I've heard about speed cams and strict rules on the Kerala roads.
Old 18th December 2014, 13:39   #7999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I'm visiting Kerala this weekend . Bangalore to Periyar . Stay in Periyar for 2 days, then go to Aleppey. Stay in Alleppey for 2days, followed by return to Bangalore.

These are the routes I'm planning to take :

1) Blr to Periyar : Blr->Salem->Dindigul->Periyar .
Roads in decent condition except for occasional rough patches between Dindigul and Cumbum.

Quote:
2) Periyar to Aleppey : Periyar->Pala->Kallara->Alleppey.
Not sure of the road conditions on that route - especially the road between Ettumanoor and Thanneermukkam bund. I would personally prefer the Vandiperiyar-Peermade-Mundakkayam-Vazhoor-Changanacherry-Alleppey route since that is known to be in good shape.

Quote:
3) Alleppey to Bangalore : What's the best route ?

I'm looking for the fastest routes on all stretches, please post any corrections. Also, what's the speed limit in Kerala, 60 kph ? I've heard about speed cams and strict rules on the Kerala roads.
If you're leaving early from Alleppey, you could take NH47 upto Vadakkencherry and then go via Pollachi to rejoin NH47 at Avinashi (Basically to avoid the bad stretches of NH47 between Palghat and Coimbatore). But if you're going to be travelling during the day, it would be best to minimize your travel through Kerala, and going back via Kumily-Theni may perhaps be fastest.

Speed limits have been enhanced to 80kmph on State highways, 85 on NH and 90 on 4 laned portions of NH.

Last edited by kala : 18th December 2014 at 13:45.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 15:11   #8000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Bad to hear this. Any particular reason or just one off case?
It is attributed to a combination of the checkpost and the Sabarimala traffic. The report also mentions that the block is likely to happen again.
Old 19th December 2014, 08:47   #8001
BHPian

Advice Please: I am planning a drive (Honeymoon). I have zeroed in on following destinations: Start from Mangalore on 9th of May 2015 to Munnar (2 nights), Kodai (2 nights) and reach Bangalore via Masinagudi. Also may plan 1 night at Masinagudi. What could be the best route to cover the above destinations. I have ample time atleast upto 17th. Planning early as to book the accommodations because of the holiday season rush expected during the month of May.
Scrubbing my head on this: Is it possible to do Mangalore - Munnar in a day, owing to Kerala highway traffic???
Thanks in Advance!!
Old 19th December 2014, 10:16   #8002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvaisudheer View Post
Scrubbing my head on this: Is it possible to do Mangalore - Munnar in a day, owing to Kerala highway traffic???
It is around 540kms and Google Maps calculates around 10 hours to cover this distance. So this being a honey moon trip, I personally feel that you should not try to tire yourself by driving for so long in a route which has heavy traffic. I don't know if your fiancee/wife also drives. Perhaps you could take a break at Kochi?
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 10:37   #8003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Perhaps you could take a break at Kochi?
Or given that this is a honeymoon drive, at a resort or homestay on the banks of Bharathapuzha or Periyar?
Old 19th December 2014, 10:39   #8004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I don't know if your fiancee/wife also drives. Perhaps you could take a break at Kochi?
No she would not.
Instead of Kochi would it be good to spend the night at Guruvayoor?? I can skip driving till kochi. I referred Google maps
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-mlrmunnar_map.png  

Old 19th December 2014, 10:59   #8005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No she would not.
Instead of Kochi would it be good to spend the night at Guruvayoor?? I can skip driving till kochi. I referred Google maps
If you want to use the opportunity to pray at the temple, then it is a good halt. But if it is just to break, may not be ideal since Guruvayoor will be heavily crowded in May.

Just to add to what others have mentioned above, Mangalore to Munnar will be long and tiring. I assume it will take at least 12-13 hours and with no respite from traffic anywhere.

EDIT: From the route Google shows, from Kozhikode, what it shows is not the ideal route based on real conditions. From Kozhikode your route should be

Kozhikode-University-Chelari-Kottakkal-Valanchery-Kuttipuram-Edapal-Kunnamkulam (Bypass)-Thrissur-Chalakudi-(Not familair post this, so others can comment if the google route is the best one). With this route, you will also not touch Guruvayoor (But will come within 10-15 km, so you can still stop at Guruvayoor if needed)

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 19th December 2014 at 11:12. Reason: additional info
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 11:11   #8006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj
If you want to use the opportunity to pray at the temple, then it is a good halt. But if it is just to break, may not be ideal since Guruvayoor will be heavily crowded in May.
True. Guruvayur is really crowded (the town & the temple). Secondly it also has strict timings for opening and closing. So I don't know how feasible it would be for the OP to find a suitable time. This is not a temple where we can just land up the previous night, and make a morning visit and go. I know people some time queue up the previous night for the early morning Darshan which starts at 0300 or 0400Hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
Or given that this is a honeymoon drive, at a resort or homestay on the banks of Bharathapuzha or Periyar?
There is one good place River Retreat which is at Cheruthuruthy (between Shornur and Thrissur). I am sure there could be other resorts close to Cherai Beach or Alwaye/Periyar (which is close to Kochi).
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 13:43   #8007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead of Kochi would it be good to spend the night at Guruvayoor??
If you want to perform a darshanam at Guruvayur, then yes. Otherwise I'd recommend Thrissur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Kozhikode-University-Chelari-Kottakkal-Valanchery-Kuttipuram-Edapal-Kunnamkulam (Bypass)-Thrissur-Chalakudi-(Not familair post this, so others can comment if the google route is the best one).
Chalakkudi-Angamali-MC Road-Perumbavur-left turn at the first signal (Oushadhi)-pass by the temple-reach Munnar Road-turn left towards Munnar-Kothamangalam-join NH 49 to Munnar.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 17:53   #8008
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks in Advance!!

Another option:

Break the journey at Calicut. You will get good hotels (beach side ones). Start next day and drive to Munnar. Trichur is also a good break point. You can visit Vadakkunnathan Temple at Trichur.

Last edited by ampere : 19th December 2014 at 17:55.
Old 19th December 2014, 18:56   #8009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks in Advance!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Break the journey at Calicut. You will get good hotels (beach side ones). Start next day and drive to Munnar. Trichur is also a good break point. You can visit Vadakkunnathan Temple at Trichur.
If you aren't that particular about the specific destination(s), may be you could substitute Munnar with Coorg or Wayanad and Kodai with somewhere in the Nilgiris. That way the hassle of driving through the busy Kerala roads can be entirely avoided.

Believe me - the stress of driving in the Kerala traffic during the day can spoil the fun of the entire holiday !!
Old 19th December 2014, 19:28   #8010
Senior - BHPian

Hey Varghese, the traffic is peaceful until Punalur. After enterting MC road, normally busy. But should be better than Nagercoil route. Nagercoil TVM, my car suspension cannot endure it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks