Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2016, 22:59   #10081
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongura View Post
Although i haven't taken the Dundigal-Theni-Kumily route I am planning to explore taking that on my way back. I would recommend you take that one instead of this. You spend more time in the good roads in TN and only about 3 hours in narrow windy Kerala country roads.
Makes a lot of sense. Should save you at least 2 hours compared to the route you took while going.
Old 19th December 2016, 07:28   #10082
BHPian

Does it make sense to take the Blr - Mysore - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Trissur - Kochi - Alappuzha - Kollam route to avoid the rush at toll gates this week? Will be traveling tomorrow.
Old 19th December 2016, 07:30   #10083
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
Does it make sense to take the Blr - Mysore - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Trissur - Kochi - Alappuzha - Kollam route to avoid the rush at toll gates this week? Will be traveling tomorrow.
Definitely not. You should start early; say 3:30/4 and I think most booths should be fine.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 08:50   #10084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not at all. Stick to the usual Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Coimbatore route. For this plan to leave Bangalore early say before 5 AM.
Old 19th December 2016, 09:01   #10085
BHPian

Please suggest a route from Thrissur to Thrivulla based on the road conditions, the MC road is said to be under repair and is not motorable.

Traveling at the peak time around 9am to 10am.
Old 19th December 2016, 09:02   #10086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont expect any rush tomorrow, stick to the salem route, if possible start early and cross Salem before 8 AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Definitely not. You should start early; say 3:30/4 and I think most booths should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Not at all. Stick to the usual Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Coimbatore route. For this plan to leave Bangalore early say before 5 AM.
The experience was bad even for early starters on this year Diwali break . People who started at 4 AM from Bangalore on the long weekend also got 30+ minute queue at Krishnagiri and Attibele.

I expect similar traffic on 24th Dec morning as well.
Old 19th December 2016, 09:36   #10087

Hello All,

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Kottayam this weekend.
I have to go via Palakkad. So Dindigul-Theni route is not an option.
Since MC toad is not motorable, I was planning on taking the following route:

Bangalore->Salem->Coimbatore->Palakkad->Thrissur->Angamaly->Aluva->Kakkanad->Thiruvankulam->Thalayolaparambu->Manjoor->Kottayam

Or is there a better alternative?
Old 19th December 2016, 12:05   #10088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Update from Palakkad trip:
Lots of new eateries have come up, here are some of them that I made a mental note of (All references based on Bangalore-Coimbatore/Palakkad direction)

3. The Rice Bowl (looked very nice from outside) - About 41Km after Neelambur L&T Coimbatore bypass toll. On left side, in the work in progress section of the road at a place called Vattapara about 2Km before Walayar toll plaza
My wife had tried this place in August. Heard good opinion from her and not sure whether they are maintaining the same standard now.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 12:07   #10089
BHPian

Any good places for lunch near Coimbatore or border (close to highway)? Traveling to Angamaly this Friday from Bangalore.

I want to start early but realistically do not think that will happen. So if I start around 8 AM (Bommassandra, E City), guess I will be close to L&T Coimbatore by around 1 PM and border around 2. Anything close to L&T should be fine. If anything close to border where I can get kerala meals would be even better.

I hate the white rice/tamil meals. So, last time I traveled, tried to get to Palakkad for lunch and that was a big mistake, totally messed up. I do not want that to happen again.

Quote:
FasTag helped me to quickly navigate through all tolls, had to use cash only at L&T Coimbatore bypass.
Any idea how long will it take to get one? I see an online application through ICICI; is it the best/fastest method to get one?

Quote:
2. Hotel Aryaas - About 31Km after Neelambur L&T Coimbatore bypass toll. On right side, in the work in progress section of the road

3. The Rice Bowl (looked very nice from outside) - About 41Km after Neelambur L&T Coimbatore bypass toll. On left side, in the work in progress section of the road at a place called Vattapara about 2Km before Walayar toll plaza

*Many other eateries like "Sre Saravana Bhavan" (2 outlets)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
My wife had tried this place in August. Heard good opinion from her
Sorry, didn't see this before; Thanks. I guess Saravana Bhavan and Aryaas are chains and should be better overall? Also any places for Kerala meals?

Last edited by Eddy : 19th December 2016 at 15:39. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Old 19th December 2016, 12:28   #10090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
The experience was bad even for early starters on this year Diwali break . People who started at 4 AM from Bangalore on the long weekend also got 30+ minute queue at Krishnagiri and Attibele.

I expect similar traffic on 24th Dec morning as well.
I almost always take the NH209 route to Coimbatore because I live close to Kanakapura Road and hence it takes me approximately the same amount of time whether I go on the 2 lane NH209 or the 4/6 lane NH7/NH47. On days when toll booths are expected to be crowded, I think NH209 will probably be faster, so it's not a 100% black and white choice to prefer the 4 lane route. (It consistently takes me about 4 hrs 45 minutes +/- 15 mins to get to Karumathampatti from my location near Metro Cash and Carry - timings would of course vary depending on where in Bangalore City you are).

To the OP - You don't need to go via Mysore, the NH209 route takes you via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-CR Nagar-Dimbham-Bannari-Satyamangalam (or Bhavanisagar)-Puliampatti-Annur. From Annur it would be better to take the road to Karumathampatti (where you join NH47) which will allow you to skip Coimbatore city.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 12:42   #10091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
Sorry, didn't see this before; Thanks. I guess Saravana Bhavan and Aryaas are chains and should be better overall? Also any places for Kerala meals?
Refer to this link for eateries on the NH7-NH47 section between Bangalore and Thrissur.

https://goo.gl/c0Xg0W
Old 19th December 2016, 13:27   #10092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuriancjohn View Post
Hello All,

Bangalore->Salem->Coimbatore->Palakkad->Thrissur->Angamaly->Aluva->Kakkanad->Thiruvankulam->Thalayolaparambu->Manjoor->Kottayam

Checkout the below route. Last time when I travelled, it was okey but you may have to ask the locals here and there to get the exact directions

https://goo.gl/maps/dE5xBi6W7fr
vinucv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 13:45   #10093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuriancjohn View Post
Hello All,

You could take the Muvattupuzha-Pandapilly-Uzhavoor-Kuravilangad to avoid road widening works on MC road between Muvattupuzha and Kuravilangad.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 14:03   #10094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Please suggest a route from Thrissur to Thrivulla based on the road conditions, the MC road is said to be under repair and is not motorable.

Traveling at the peak time around 9am to 10am.
You may please try this route. Should be good based on my previous experience

https://goo.gl/maps/ExXREVCUYVr
Old 19th December 2016, 14:04   #10095
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
It consistently takes me about 4 hrs 45 minutes +/- 15 mins to get to Karumathampatti from my location near Metro Cash and Carry - timings would of course vary depending on where in Bangalore City you are).
Some mentions :

- With fastag, timings should improve
- 209 for family is a bit tricky because only hotel point being at Chamarajanagar
- Twisty roads is unpleasant for some.
- Inspite of the extra disctance, some times highway on the planes is easier for family travel.

Not saying the above in strict sense, but it does make difference some times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks