Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2016, 11:24   #10111
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Never knew PUC is being looked at seriously in Kerala. I was pulled few times for the speed limit by mobile interceptors, but they were not concerned about the documents and was happy to collect the penalty even with out looking at the DL. I have faced checking at border only on the Chinnar and Muthumalai border
Old 21st December 2016, 11:59   #10112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Never knew PUC is being looked at seriously in Kerala. I was pulled few times for the speed limit by mobile interceptors, but they were not concerned about the documents and was happy to collect the penalty even with out looking at the DL. I have faced checking at border only on the Chinnar and Muthumalai border
The speed trap squads generally don't bother about anything else other than collecting their dues for the current offense. But on NH212 close to the Kerala border (generally between Muthanga and Sulthan Bathery), there's almost always a squad that checks all papers - and a valid PUC is something that they always ask for - probably because of their experience of that being the cash-cow - a lot of people forget to check the validity of the same and end up having to pay a fine because the 6 month validity period of the certificate has expired.
Old 21st December 2016, 13:21   #10113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The speed trap squads generally don't bother about anything else other than collecting their dues for the current offense. But on NH212 close to the Kerala border (generally between Muthanga and Sulthan Bathery), there's almost always a squad that checks all papers - and a valid PUC is something that they always ask for - probably because of their experience of that being the cash-cow - a lot of people forget to check the validity of the same and end up having to pay a fine because the 6 month validity period of the certificate has expired.
That's true, I make sure anything related to my car is in order, but tends to overlook the PUC part. Muthanga route is not my regular one, was lucky to be spared whenever I have taken that way.
Old 22nd December 2016, 00:25   #10114
BHPian

Has anyone traveled via Dindigul - Theni - Kumily to Kerala recently? How are the road conditions and Sabarimala traffic conditions?

I am planning to drive from Vellore to Kottayam on the 23rd & still haven't decided whether to go via Coimbatore or Kumily! Last December when I drove via Kumily, Sabarimala traffic was quite dense! Took almost 8 hours to cover the last 230 odd km, whereas the initial 420 odd km took only 7 hours!

Recent travelers please shed some light!
Old 22nd December 2016, 03:42   #10115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Very common in Kerala where cops check documents and if they find everything fine, they will ask for valid PUC
If you're traveling inside Kerala during day time say 7am or later it is better to have the PUC so get it done at Chennai before you travel. In all my drives so far, the only place I was stopped for documents check plus PUC was at Kalpetta around 7am in the morning very close to the police station.
I have got PUC certificate for merely Rs. 50 and 5 minutes.
I am not sure on the authenticity of the readings.
The emission readings seems to be cooked up for all 7 iterations with different RPMs.
It could be the template and fixed readings for almost all diesel cars.
Any how I am having valid PUC fir today's trip.
Thanx Guys 😊
Old 22nd December 2016, 05:42   #10116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Has anyone traveled via Dindigul - Theni - Kumily to Kerala recently? How are the road conditions and Sabarimala traffic conditions?

Recent travelers please shed some light!
I drove till Theni from Thiruvalla 2 weeks back. The traffic was definitely more than usual, but I could still maintain good decent pace. Sabarimala vehicles were plenty. But the real chaos is going to start only from 24th, when the winter school holidays start.
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:38   #10117
BHPian

Hi folks,
I will be travelling from Bangalore to Trivandrum on 24th and will be taking the salem-madurai - thirunalveli- nagercoil - Trivandrum route. I plan to leave by 5 or 5:30 am (provided there is no fog) and should be at salem by 8. i know sai sangeeth is an awesome place but i will be passing by that place much earlier. so i am looking for a halt after salem towards Madurai route.
Please could you advise me on the best place to stop for breakfast and also with a hypothesis that I maintain this time, where would I be by around 1:30? and any recommendations to halt for lunch?

Thank you

Last edited by Accent Martin : 22nd December 2016 at 10:41.
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:49   #10118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Hi folks,
I will be travelling from Bangalore to Trivandrum on 24th and will be taking the salem-madurai - thirunalveli- nagercoil - Trivandrum route. I plan to leave by 5 or 5:30 am (provided there is no fog) and should be at salem by 8.
Thank you
Expect delays at toll booths on 24th morning if you are starting 5-5:30AM

Last edited by arjithin : 22nd December 2016 at 10:58.
arjithin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:58   #10119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,
I will be travelling from Bangalore to Trivandrum on 24th and will be taking the salem-madurai - thirunalveli- nagercoil - Trivandrum route. I plan to leave by 5 or 5:30 am (provided there is no fog) and should be at salem by 8. i know sai sangeeth is an awesome place but i will be passing by that place much earlier. so i am looking for a halt after salem towards Madurai route.
Please could you advise me on the best place to stop for breakfast and also with a hypothesis that I maintain this time, where would I be by around 1:30? and any recommendations to halt for lunch?

Thank you
Had asked the same question a few months back. The feedback from experts was that a stop between Salem and Dindigul is always a little tricky as there is no typical highway side chains like A2B, CCD etc in this stretch. Recommendation was to stop for breakfast in Salem itself (which is what I did). There was also a mention about Hotel Arunachala a little off the highway in Karur. But not sure about their breakfast timings. For lunch you should have good options as you probably will be closer to Madurai or beyond. The last few pages of the 'Bangalore-Trivandrum' Thread has a lot of details.

On a side note, leaving at 5.30am on 24th is a bad idea. The tolls are going to be super crowded and I don't think you can reach Salem by 8am. Would suggest leaving much earlier-Maybe 4-4.30 am.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 22nd December 2016 at 10:59.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:13   #10120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Had asked the same question a few months back. The feedback from experts was that a stop between Salem and Dindigul is always a little tricky as there is no typical highway side chains like A2B, CCD etc in this stretch. Recommendation was to stop for breakfast in Salem itself (which is what I did). There was also a mention about Hotel Arunachala a little off the highway in Karur. But not sure about their breakfast timings. For lunch you should have good options as you probably will be closer to Madurai or beyond. The last few pages of the 'Bangalore-Trivandrum' Thread has a lot of details.

On a side note, leaving at 5.30am on 24th is a bad idea. The tolls are going to be super crowded and I don't think you can reach Salem by 8am. Would suggest leaving much earlier-Maybe 4-4.30 am.
Thank you Rajeev. on the timing bit, I agree 4:30 start would be good to avoid dense traffic but I think it will be foggy outside at that time (although I haven't yet checked that ) . I have been keeping track of visibility conditions for 5:30 am. lemme check that tomorrow for 4 am and hopefully, 24th will give me a peaceful commute.
Old 22nd December 2016, 15:06   #10121

Folks,
I am planning to drive from BLR to Cochin. However, I am stopping in Coimbatore. Basically, I am looking for a scenic route from Coimbatore to Cochin. With this thread being old and long (675 pages!), I am totally lost.
Can someone please share current condition of roads, options, etc.
I am traveling during the week (not weekend).

Many thanks!
suryakamal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 15:15   #10122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryakamal View Post
Folks,
I am planning to drive from BLR to Cochin. However, I am stopping in Coimbatore. Basically, I am looking for a scenic route from Coimbatore to Cochin. With this thread being old and long (675 pages!), I am totally lost.
Can someone please share current condition of roads, options, etc.
I am traveling during the week (not weekend).

Many thanks!
One route I can think of is Coimbatore-Pollachi-Valparai-Sholayar Forest-Athirapally-Angamaly-Kochi. But it is almost double the time. Can't think of any other route that can be considered scenic.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 15:29   #10123

Quote:
One route I can think of is Coimbatore-Pollachi-Valparai-Sholayar Forest-Athirapally-Angamaly-Kochi. But it is almost double the time. Can't think of any other route that can be considered scenic.
Thanks for the quick revert. Twice?
Just checked on GoogleMaps. Looked like 4 hours vs 7 hrs! Would you know the road condition?

Thanks once again!
Old 22nd December 2016, 15:33   #10124
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

Thank you
8am is a good time to break fast, so Salem will be a good choice. If you must travel beyond, then these are your options:
1. A hotel just at the Namakkal toll plaza, can't recollect the name. Not the best, but ok.
2. Hotel Sivamuruga - on the Coimbatore/Erode turnoff in Karur just under the bridge, but you have to go ahead and make a Uturn. Gmaps has the exact location.
3. Hotel Apoorva - just after you cross Karur on your left. But I've spotted this place closed at times.
4. Hotel Valluvan - in Aravakurichi on the other side of the highway. A decent hotel.

1:30 should comfortably get you closer to Tirunelveli. Capsi Drive In is a good one near Kayathar, which comes just ahead of Tirunelveli.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by luvurride : 22nd December 2016 at 15:39.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 15:46   #10125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryakamal View Post
Folks,
I am planning to drive from BLR to Cochin. However, I am stopping in Coimbatore. Basically, I am looking for a scenic route from Coimbatore to Cochin.
Quote:
Another route is Coimbatore-Pollachi-Udumalpet-Chinnar-Munnar-Cochin. This route too will take more than double the time, but it is really scenic. Google shows Valparai-Athirapilly route as 260km and Chinnar-Munnar route as 290km, compared to 190km of the regular route.

Except for a 20km stretch between Amaravathi dam and Chinnar check post, which has few potholes, the rest of the roads are good in Chinnar-Munnar route. The traffic is also very less after Udumalpet. You can go for a guided 2 hour trek in Chinnar wildlife sanctuary if you are interested. Other places of interest in this route includes crocodile breeding farm at Amaravathi, Thoovanam waterfall inside Chinnar sanctuary, Marayur sandalwood forests and Munnar.

I don't know about the current road condition of Valparai-Athirapilly route.

Last edited by deerhunter : 22nd December 2016 at 16:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks