Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2018, 11:44   #11416
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
And what is the condition of roads on this route? It was ok type a few years back.
I drove down this route around one week back and there is nothing to complain about, even the traffic was thin, so all in all it was a hassle free run. The only thing is that we have to do around 10~15 kms extra. Another point of interest is that there was a news yesterday that the authorities are pushing for opening one tunnel in the Kuthiran section very shortly, may be in a weeks time. This is due to the excessive traffic blocks due to the very poor condition of the Kuthiran stretch.I hope it is done as it would be a great relief.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 15:19   #11417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
And what is the condition of roads on this route? It was ok type a few years back.
Here it's not about the road condition but the traffic block, if you can cross the stretch without a glitch then its all good. Road's saw few land slides during the recent rains hence the block, anyway these are temporary ones.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 19:00   #11418
Senior - BHPian

I suspect this is the first "real" video of a drive through the Kuthiran tunnel.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...16786135121936
ranjitp1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 22:56   #11419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I suspect this is the first "real" video of a drive through the Kuthiran tunnel.

Is the roof & side walls going to stay like that? Do they have plans to use concrete?
Old 20th July 2018, 10:59   #11420
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Is the roof & side walls going to stay like that? Do they have plans to use concrete?
Dont ask that question, we laymen dont get to question that, there is "NHAI specifications" that will dictate whether there should be concrete covering on roof or walls - read a few pages before.
Old 20th July 2018, 12:16   #11421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry I do not know.
Old 20th July 2018, 12:21   #11422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that's how the wall/roof are going to be. Isn't that how it is in the tunnels near Pune and on the MPEW?
Old 24th July 2018, 12:26   #11423
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Palakkad - Bangalore last weekend.

Over all nothing to mention about apart from that it was raining past Walayar though not heavily. Drive time was around 5 hours 20 minutes excluding food stops.

Pole mounted speed cameras are not activated yet around Palakkad. Also, their cameras are focused towards your rear number plates. Hence I feel once its activated, people will find easier way to trick it by slowing down just as you cross the camera sensor embedded in the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I think that's how the wall/roof are going to be. Isn't that how it is in the tunnels near Pune and on the MPEW?
Yes, that is how few of MPEW tunnels are. I guess where tunnel is drilled through granite, its left that way. If its through soft soil, obviously it will have to be concrete.
Old 24th July 2018, 17:42   #11424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

24th July's Malayala Manorma newspaper reports that the Kuthiran tunnel opening will be delayed due to potential rock slide threat from a rock structure close to the road.

This video would have been of some trail run in that case?
Old 26th July 2018, 18:08   #11425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
This video would have been of some trail run in that case?
Opening date of tunnel has been mentioned as few days to few weeks from past year onwards, hence I won't be exited about mention in news article.

Yes, the video is of a a trial run, may be by someone involved in the construction. Towards end of the video you can notice that they took U turn and are heading in reverse direction. Also, you can notice vehicles on the existing road on Thrissur side of the tunnel, which is at a slightly higher level than tunnel entrance.

For opening of tunnel, it was required to level this approach section. This will involve changing existing road alignment. So, unless that is done, we know that opening of tunnel will be far from now.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 19:00   #11426
BHPian

Hey guys,.. can someone please post an update of road conditions between:

Kuttikanam - Kanjirpalli
Kuttikanam - Thekkady
Kuttikanam - Idukki

The roads were in great shape before the rains.. But now?

TIA
Old 27th July 2018, 12:17   #11427
BHPian

These roads are generally in good shape. Since rain water is able to flow freely down the hillside, there are just a few potholes. I haven't travelled this route recently, but I would expect fairly good road condition except for the isolated potholes.
Old 27th July 2018, 19:47   #11428
Team-BHP Support

As if the Coimbatore L&T by-pass road wasn't any bad, now we have to show the toll slip to the booth-staff for scanning! No more tucking the slip in the windshield.

2 out of 3 flyovers in Salem are operational. But the expansion joints are terrible! The last one is going to take some time judging by the current state.

Roads after entering Palakkad have developed potholes after the recent heavy showers. Plus, too many cameras setup (haven't started working I guess). If we are to be fined based on the speed limits indicated (50 kmph?!) by the signages, Kerala MVD is going laugh all the way to the bank.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th July 2018 at 19:50.
Old 27th July 2018, 19:54   #11429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
If we are to be fined based on the speed limits indicated (50 kmph?!) by the signages,
The speed limit in KL on 4-lane roads is 90 kmph.

https://mvd.kerala.gov.in/index.php/...2014/91-14.pdf

But it is not clear what the limit is, on a 4-lane road within a municipality limit. :-)
Old 27th July 2018, 21:11   #11430
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
If we are to be fined based on the speed limits indicated (50 kmph?!) by the signages, Kerala MVD is going laugh all the way to the bank.
(I think I had mentioned this in an earlier post couple months ago after a trip to Palakkad).
I noticed the pattern on the Walayar-Palakkad stretch where there are 50kmph speed limit signs. These are just before traffic lights at a junction. These signs should really be "Reduce Speed" or "Junction ahead" warning signs.

The camera locations that I noticed were not near the traffic signals, so they won't be measuring against the 50kmph limit. However, I think they will be tracking average speed > (90kmph/other max. speed applicable) before flagging for an overspeeding challan.

Last edited by NPV : 27th July 2018 at 21:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks