Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2019, 13:16   #12076
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
My last two trips down that route recently, I had observed that quite a few vehicles were crossing me in excessive speeds, and I guess the cameras were off then.
But we will not know if those drivers were also given the "cash prizes". Because we don't know if their over speeding was caught on camera, and the MVD or K.P has actually send out a notice to the owners.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 17:40   #12077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
But we will not know if those drivers were also given the "cash prizes". Because we don't know if their over speeding was caught on camera, and the MVD or K.P has actually send out a notice to the owners.
Yes that’s true, but from what I understood from the tv news was that the system went online after the hiccups only two days back, and it was a bonanza, for the mvd, it appears. I guess the word will filter down and chaps will get more cautious.
Old 4th July 2019, 19:53   #12078

Hi there.
Has anyone recently travelled along the Chamravattom Route from Ernakulam to Kozhikkode? How good/bad is the road? I would be taking the route next week.

I was wondering if taking that route (Ernakulam - Guruvayur - Ponnani - Chamravattom - Tirurangadi - Ramanattukara bypass - Kozhikkode) is a faster option than the NH (Ernakulam - Thrissur - Edappal - Kottakkal - Kozhikkode) route? I heard there is a flyover/ROB being constructed at Edappal.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
CS

Last edited by ampere : 5th July 2019 at 11:49. Reason: compacted post
Old 5th July 2019, 09:30   #12079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicScooter View Post
Hi there.
Has anyone recently travelled along the Chamravattom Route from Ernakulam to Kozhikkode? How good/bad is the road? I would be taking the route next week.

I was wondering if taking that route (Ernakulam - Guruvayur - Ponnani - Chamravattom - Tirurangadi - Ramanattukara bypass - Kozhikkode) is a faster option than the NH (Ernakulam - Thrissur - Edappal - Kottakkal - Kozhikkode) route? I heard there is a flyover/ROB being constructed at Edappal.
Had driven Chamravattam-Tirur in May and Tirur-Kozhikode a couple of times day before yesterday. Guruvayoor-Chamravattam should also be pretty good based on other inputs.

Chamravattom -Tirur is in excellent condition, recently laid and slightly widened. From Tirur you can continue to hug the coast and go via Tanur-Parappanangadi-Kadalundi-Chaliyam-Ferok-Calicut. Some widening and culvert work happening between Tirur and Tanur, otherwise great roads throughout and a slightly more peaceful drive compared to the NH. You can also deviate at Chettipadi,post parappangadi and join the NH at Chelari and hit the Ramanatukara bypass.

Whether it will reduce time taken-Probably not. Will mostly take the same time (maybe even more, although it is 30 odd km lesser). Can take it if you want to try a different route with lessor heavy vehicle movement.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 5th July 2019 at 09:32.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 09:52   #12080
BHPian

This is news which came in the Malayala Manorama paper of 6th July. An auto rickshaw driver was fined for over speeding (he was logged doing 109 kph) on the Vadakencherry/Walayar sector. This driver on receiving his challan paid the fine, and he went to meet the RTO for this over speeding ticket. The RTO was also surprised that an Auto would do this kind of speed, he checked the recording and finds that at the exact time when he was logged there was a car overtaking him which was the culprit, but the auto was logged in. Anyway to cut a story short the RTO has given a phone number (0495-2355588) for checking in case of any doubt on a speeding ticket received. A very strange incident, I have attached the newspaper report, which is in Malayalam.
Attached Thumbnails
All Roads to Kerala-img_20190708_091629.jpg  

All Roads to Kerala-img_20190708_091608__1562559637_43.229.89.42.jpg  

sparky@home is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 23:38   #12081
BHPian

Hi, please suggest a good route from Madurai to Cochin, do I need to pass through Devikulam, Munnar or is there any other way?
Old 11th July 2019, 23:50   #12082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
Hi, please suggest a good route from Madurai to Cochin, do I need to pass through Devikulam, Munnar or is there any other way?
As per my understanding, the road via Munnar is your best bet. I can't find any other route as short as this. The alternative road seems to have diversions near Alathur.

Source - Google maps
Shashwat B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 10:17   #12083
BANNED

Folks, I am planning to do a 10 day trip to Kerala from Hyderabad during 1st week of Oct (Dashehra time). And want to cover one hill station (Munnar?), one backwater and one beach (Near Kochi may be). I will be single driver with my wife and 3.5 year old kid.

Any suggestions for the places and routes to be taken based on the road conditions. Suggested stops for food and night halts? I am not a hardcore long driver so looking for strictly day time relaxed driving. Anything I should pack for the trip. I have got Jumper cable, foot pump, puncture repair kit, child seat, portable rice cooker.
Old 20th July 2019, 18:09   #12084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
I am not updated about the conditions of the following route. Google Maps also suggests the same. People who traveled says the road is narrow, but helps skip the Munnar hills. Route: Madurai-Theni-Bodimettu-Pooppara-Rajakumari-Rajakkad-Kallarkutty-Adimaly-Kothamangalam-Kochi. The stretch from Pooppara-Rajakkad-Adimaly is narrow. This is thick monsoon time and landslides are common in highranges (Idukki). Avoid night drives. Hope someone frequenting this route can update about present condition.

https://bit.ly/2Y3gNo2

Kothamangalam to Kochi, depends on the location in Kochi city where you want to reach. If it is Vyttila-Ravipuram or southwards, choose Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha-NH 85 route. Or else, stick with Kothamangalam-Perumbavoor-Aluva-Ernakulam.
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 06:44   #12085
BHPian

Planning to have a road trip from Chennai to Kottayam by mid August via Kumili. How is the road condition from Kottayam to Kumili? Is it advisable to take this stretch during the monsoon?
Old 29th July 2019, 18:11   #12086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Had driven Chamravattam-Tirur in May and Tirur-Kozhikode a couple of times day before yesterday. Guruvayoor-Chamravattam should also be pretty good based on other inputs.

Chamravattom -Tirur is in excellent condition, recently laid and slightly widened. From Tirur you can continue to hug the coast and go via Tanur-Parappanangadi-Kadalundi-Chaliyam-Ferok-Calicut. Some widening and culvert work happening between Tirur and Tanur, otherwise great roads throughout and a slightly more peaceful drive compared to the NH. You can also deviate at Chettipadi,post parappangadi and join the NH at Chelari and hit the Ramanatukara bypass.

Whether it will reduce time taken-Probably not. Will mostly take the same time (maybe even more, although it is 30 odd km lesser). Can take it if you want to try a different route with lessor heavy vehicle movement.

Thank you Rajeev. I took the Puthanathani-Thirunavaya-Kuttippuram-Ponnani-Guruvayur route down, which was a peaceful drive, with less traffic. On the way up, I lost my way a bit and ended up taking the Valancheri route beyond Kuttipuram. And, I wasn't impressed. At night, with no proper lighting, high-beam motorists, and heavy traffic, it has very few overtaking options. Valancheri town seemed very congested.

Another thing I observed during the drive was that maintaining exactly 70 kmph on the Kodungallur bypass helps you avoid all the 4 red signals on that stretch between Chandapura and Kottappuram Bridge. Second, that Ponnani-Tavanur road is a breeze! I felt very relaxed on that straight stretch of tarmac with some pleasing greenery on the sides.
Old 30th July 2019, 09:17   #12087
Senior - BHPian

I had gone on a regularly scheduled trip to Calicut last weekend. On the way back I stopped at this place called FSD (Food Stop Diner) for an evening snack/tea break.

It is on the north side of the road (ie, direct access for traffic leaving Kerala; U-turn access for traffic going to Kerala). It arrives immediately after (within 1km) you cross the bridge that marks the inter-state border.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20190728_183207893.jpg

The parking lot is large-ish, but the landscaping actually takes away a lot of space, leaving just enough for perhaps 25 vehicles. At the time I went there were only 2-3 vehicles there though.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20190728_183215491_hdr.jpg

The place is still being built-up; but these 4 restaurants are functional.

All Roads to Kerala-img_20190728_183159696_hdr.jpg

Since it was just a snack+tea break for me I opted for a roll from the sandwich shop, which was quite tasty.

There is some landscaping and photo/selfie-op location inside. Altogether, very pleasant to visit with family (but I guess it could get crowded during rush hour).
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 20:10   #12088
BHPian

Re: Supercars & Imports : Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk24 View Post
Any idea how Kochi - BLR is? Might have to do that as Kochi is the most apt Carnet port for me.
I can't comment on the road from Kochi to Palakkad as I did that stretch quite a long while back.But I do know that kuthiran ghat section is in a bad shape everytime.

Other bhpians can comment on this stretch.The highway from Palakkad to BLR is quite good and you can maintain some decent speeds.
TSIVTEC is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:44   #12089
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Supercars & Imports : Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk24 View Post
Any idea how Kochi - BLR is? Might have to do that as Kochi is the most apt Carnet port for me.
Absolutely fine. Just be careful with few diversions along Mannuthy - Walayar. When in Kochi, you may want to avoid Vytilla and few other roads which are in bad condition.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 16:18   #12090
BHPian

I will be traveling to Cherai beach near Kochi from Bangalore this Friday morning and will be taking the Salem-Coimbatore-Kochi route. I plan to start at 5am so as to reach by 3/3:30pm. Is it fine or should I start earlier?

I am aware of the route till Salem. But after that, the route is new to me. Are there any recommended breakfast restaurants on Salem-Coimbatore leg? And what would be a good place for lunch break. Any other pointers/guidelines would be helpful?

I tried reading through this vast thread, but got confused. Hence these direct, pointed questions.

Thanks in advance.

- Prasad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks