Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2019, 11:33   #12256
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I guess it this road marked in RED

Attachment 1934266
You can also try this route to Sankagiri. Via Mecheri, Nangavalli, Jalakandapuram and Edappadi.
Old 13th November 2019, 20:11   #12257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Thanks Subru. What is the approximate driving time on this route to Rameswaram. Is it possible to reach before 6pm with a 5;30AM start from Ernakulam.
I guess it should be possible to do that. I have not driven it as a continuous route. Started from thrissur around 5AM and reached Udumalpet by 8.15 ish with a breakfast break during a drive to Munnar last month.

Similarly did Rameswaram-Dindigul in about 3h 45 min (9 ish in the morning was the start) with just a bio break. Ramanathapuram-Manamadurai-Madurai was empty four lane road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I guess it this road marked in RED
It is exactly the one shown above by suresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Also which is this - Took right before Konganapuram and joined Edappadi-Sankari. I usually take a small road and join Edappadi Sankari road. Can you please show your route on google maps?

Last edited by aah78 : 13th November 2019 at 22:14. Reason: Spacing.
SUBRU is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 23:25   #12258
BHPian

Can anyone help me with the route from Thiruvananthapuram to Theni.

Google is suggesting via Adoor, Ranni, Mundakayam & Kumily (https://goo.gl/maps/QubxEX4FDZgjEAC56).

Though the route looks like having some nice ghat section to enjoy, I have the following to be clarified:
  1. Since I amtravelling with family, what are the food & toilet option(s).
  2. How is the road condition.
  3. It'll be the first time I'll be driving in Kerala - need inputs on the general road users and the way they drive (local/KSRTC buses, commercial vehicles, etc.)
Old 19th November 2019, 15:33   #12259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
As per reports in Malayala Manorama, Kuthiran retarring will be over today. Around 5 KMs road is completely relaid. Here is the report for those who can read Malayalam.
Kuthiran is entirely relaid atleast temporarily, not a single pot hole. Passed through during Thursday late night towards Thrissur and on return Sunday evening. Sunday there was a delay of about 15 minutes slow moving only due to work on the side of the road, recommended to take Kuthiran as long as the surface holds.
majumon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 18:14   #12260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischaltopno View Post
[*]It'll be the first time I'll be driving in Kerala - need inputs on the general road users and the way they drive (local/KSRTC buses, commercial vehicles, etc.)
You should be taking the Main Central road mostly - till Adoor. It is well maintained and well marked. Beware of those rumble strips though - they won't kill your suspension, but might rob you of your composure. Almost all will be well marked though. Stick to 70 - ish speeds - unless there is a lower speed limit. Not sure of non - MC road part though.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 19th November 2019 at 18:16.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 19:33   #12261
BHPian

Kuthiran Road Condition (16 November 2019)

iVento is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 20:43   #12262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
url]).[*]It'll be the first time I'll be driving in Kerala - need inputs on the general road users and the way they drive (local/KSRTC buses, commercial vehicles, etc.)[/list]
As you are probably aware, pretty much all the roads in Kerala are 2 lane. Traffic is generally heavy and there is not much respite as the population density is high.

Key thing to keep in mind is to be extremely patient and not rush into overtaking if the right opportunity is not there. Can get frustrating sometimes.

Also keep in mind that an average of 30-40 km per hour is the norm on Kerala roads, if you are used to the wide 4/6 lane highways of the other states, where you can expect to go 70-80 km or more in an hour, sometimes the planning goes for a toss.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 21:13   #12263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
You should be taking the Main Central road mostly - till Adoor. It is well maintained and well marked. Beware of those rumble strips though - they won't kill your suspension, but might rob you of your composure. Almost all will be well marked though. Stick to 70 - ish speeds - unless there is a lower speed limit. Not sure of non - MC road part though.
Thank you very much. I’m sure there be more information flowing in.
Old 19th November 2019, 21:19   #12264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
As you are probably aware, pretty much all the roads in Kerala are 2 lane. Traffic is generally heavy and there is not much respite as the population density is high.
Yes have read about Kerala road here in team bhp forum and hence the questions. Any idea about places to eat on this root?

Do you think I should take alternate routes via thenmala/coutrlam or Nagercoil/nh44?
Old 19th November 2019, 21:56   #12265
NGM
BHPian

Quote:
Yes have read about Kerala road here in team bhp forum and hence the questions. Any idea about places to eat on this root?

Do you think I should take alternate routes via thenmala/coutrlam or Nagercoil/nh44?
This is the best route from Thiruvananthapuram to Theni.
As most roads are 2 lane, you can save some time if you start early to avoid traffic.
What time are you planning to start?
If it is after breakfast, Open kitchen barbecue Restaurant Kuttikanam can be an option for lunch
Old 19th November 2019, 21:58   #12266
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

If you destination is south KL, like trivandrum, for example, its a no-brainer to choose nagercoil route.
Old 19th November 2019, 22:04   #12267
NGM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
If you destination is south KL, like trivandrum, for example, its a no-brainer to choose nagercoil route.
Venky, He is asking for route from Trivandrum to Theni.
Route through Adoor, Ranny, Mundakayam, Kumily is the best option.
Regular 2 lanes from Adoor onwards with some rough patches near Ranny. Most probably they might have fixed it due to Sabarimala pilgrimage season.
NGM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 22:38   #12268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I am travelling with family, what are the food & toilet option(s).
In October I had stopped at this place for a scrumptious lunch:

https://g.page/ktownhotels

It is slightly off the main road - about 100m into a side road, beyond a bridge, so unless you are looking for it it is easy to miss.
Old 19th November 2019, 23:52   #12269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Thanks Venky, I am travelling from Hyderabad and visiting Kanyakumari & Trivandram. Since I am taking the NH44 for onward I was checking if I it's good & safe to travel to Theni via Adoor, Ranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Venky, He is asking for route from Trivandrum to Theni.
Route through Adoor, Ranny, Mundakayam, Kumily is the best option.
Regular 2 lanes from Adoor onwards with some rough patches near Ranny. Most probably they might have fixed it due to Sabarimala pilgrimage season.
Thanks NGM for the route info. Fingers crossed, hope they have fixed the roads for the pilgrimage season.

Quote:
What time are you planning to start?
Yes, I am planning to start after breakfast but not very early. It'll be like 8:00 or 8:30 that I am planning to start.

Quote:
If it is after breakfast, Open kitchen barbecue Restaurant Kuttikanam can be an option for lunch
Open kitchen barbecue -
Anything that you suggest before this place - may be it'll be a bit late for lunch to make it there? Binand has suggested one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
In October I had stopped at this place for a scrumptious lunch:

https://g.page/ktownhotels

It is slightly off the main road - about 100m into a side road, beyond a bridge, so unless you are looking for it it is easy to miss.
Thanks Binand. Had a look in google map and they have uploaded a menu card as well - that's fantastic marketing.

Last edited by nischaltopno : 19th November 2019 at 23:57.
Old 20th November 2019, 16:46   #12270
BHPian

How is the road condition to Munnar? Which is better now? Via Theni/Bodi or Via Udmalpet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks