Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2018, 13:09   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Dharmastala / Kukke / Sringeri / Horanadu : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Will be driving to Hornadu over the weekend. Any recommendations for a decent breakfast stop post temple visit?
The breakfast provided by the Annapoorneshwari temple itself is a must have. There are a few eateries too around the temple, including a few newly sprung ones.

For exact timings, you can call 9448282410

Last edited by dailydriver : 19th December 2018 at 13:36.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 19:16   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I would suggest you to do Bombay-Udupi via Hubli-Ankola-NH17 or Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Shimoga-Tirthahalli. Both routes can be done sunrise-sundown in 2 days.

You could do Udupi-Sringeri-Horanadu in a day. Visit Horanadu and Kalasa and head to Chikmagalur.

I had stayed in a Nagagiri Comforts, which is between Horanadu and Kalasa this summer. I remember paying around 2200 with GST.

This can be done in 2 days even with the timings you've said.
Thanks for your suggestions, the NH17/hubli ankola did cross my mind. It is a single carriageway and pretty stressful at least on the maharashtra side of NH17 (have driven) while. NH4 is more peaceful to drive

Going all the way to hiriyur and then heading back via hosadurga , shivamogga is little off the way.

I am aware that one can do it over two days - sunrise to sunset but then the days become long and tiring, hence limiting to 6 - 8 hours of road time per day. Actually i can stop anywhere near davengere - be it harihar or even ranebennur if basic facilities are available.

It is leisure - with time to stand and stare.

Gentlemen,

Any suggestions on the the davangere - sringeri - udupi - hornadu - chikamagalur routes?

Google, throws up multiple options, but it is impossible to know ground conditions unless someone has been through those roads.

Request your kind help. Thanks.

Last edited by ajmat : 1st February 2019 at 15:43.
Old 1st February 2019, 15:18   #273
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
davangere - sringeri - udupi - hornadu - chikamagalur routes?
Sringeri falls enroute Udupi and Horanadu, that's why I had suggested visiting Udupi first.

Udupi-Brahmavar-Hebri-Agumbe-Sringeri would be the route. Roads were very good including Agumbe ghat last summer.

Sringeri-Horanadu - I did Sringeri-Jayapura-Balehonnur (stop for Bhadra Coffee shop)-Horanadu. Should take 2-3 hrs including the coffee stop.

Horanadu-Chikmagalur there are atleast 2 options I know of:

Horanadu-Balehonnur-Aldur-Chikmagalur
Horanadu-Kottigehara-Mudigere-Belur-Chikmagalur - This is slightly roundabout, but will give option to visit Belur-Halebidu.
Old 5th February 2019, 19:36   #274
BHPian

Just noticed that the moderators have moved a section of my itinerary to this thread.
A quick recap - i am headed from mumbai and after a stopover at davangere, i plan to head to sringeri/udupi etc.

Specifically

Day 3 : Davangere to Sringeri, google maps shows multiple routes, can anyone suggest the best route to take. Also do suggest any decent stay options at sringeri/davangere -

Day 4: Sringeri to Udupi

Day 5 : Udupi - Hornadu - Chikamagalur. Will go by what @Narayan has suggested in his previous post. Any pointers on the Udupi to Hornadu section?

Appreciate your assistance, thanks.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 5th February 2019 at 19:38.
Old 5th February 2019, 20:11   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any pointers on the Udupi to Hornadu section?
Horanadu Kalasa Samse Kuduremukha SK Border Bajagoli Karkala Belman Panjimar Udupi. This is the standard route.

Facilities wise, Kalasa will be a good point for a quick break but is hardly 15-20 minutes from Horanadu. After this, between Samse and Kuduremukha you have few coffee shops with rest room facility on request.

At Bajagoli junction, you have 2-3 basic hotels that serve usual south Indian meals and then there is Karkala but if you take the Belman route, you will not enter Karkala and bypass it fully.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 20:29   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Horanadu Kalasa Samse Kuduremukha SK Border Bajagoli Karkala Belman Panjimar Udupi. This is the standard route.

Facilities wise, Kalasa will be a good point for a quick break but is hardly 15-20 minutes from Horanadu. After this, between Samse and Kuduremukha you have few coffee shops with rest room facility on request.

At Bajagoli junction, you have 2-3 basic hotels that serve usual south Indian meals and then there is Karkala but if you take the Belman route, you will not enter Karkala and bypass it fully.
Thanks parag, any suggestions on davengere - sringeri part and stay option at davengere? I have stayed at sankama in the past, are there any other ones nearby davengere/harihar?

Also since i am traveling from mumbai, some folks had suggested the old NH17 route. Any thoughts on the same, i believe (am not sure) if it is dual carriageway. I also believe old NH4 will be faster and easier to drive than NH17 - as it passes through number of towns en route. Do let me know your thoughts. Thanks again.
Old 5th February 2019, 20:41   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks parag, any suggestions on davengere - sringeri part and stay option at davengere? I have stayed at sankama in the past, are there any other ones nearby davengere/harihar?
For Davanagere there are quite a few options. One is Southern Star apart from Sankama. Also, stick to Davanagere only.

Quote:
Also since i am traveling from mumbai, some folks had suggested the old NH17 route. Any thoughts on the same, i believe (am not sure) if it is dual carriageway. I also believe old NH4 will be faster and easier to drive than NH17 - as it passes through number of towns en route. Do let me know your thoughts. Thanks again.
To hit the coast from Mumbai Bangalore highway, best is still exit at Hubli bypass and do Kalhatgi Yellapura Ankola (Touch old NH17) and drive down.

NH17 is not dual carriageway till Kundapura. 4 lane work is in progress all along NH17 and hence this will slow you down with lot of diversions. However, none have complained that the roads are bad that one needs to avoid.

The only other choice you have to reach the coast is do Shimoga and then reach Udupi via either Theerthalli - Agumbe or Hosanagara - Hulikal route. And for this, you can plan to halt either at Davanegere itself or at Shimoga. This route will give you additional dual carriageway till Davanagere (~160 Kms extra over exiting at Hubli) but by the time you reach Davanagere from Hubli (2+ hours) you will nearly touch NH17 if you exit at Hubli.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th February 2019 at 20:45.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 20:44   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day 3 : Davangere to Sringeri, google maps shows multiple routes, can anyone suggest the best route to take. Also do suggest any decent stay options at sringeri/davangere
Davanagere - Bukkambudhi - Ajjampura - Birur - Chikkamagaluru - Balehonnur - Sringeri is the best route as of now.
Quote:
Day 4: Sringeri to Udupi
Instead of coming back to Chikkamagaluru, you can go directly to Horanadu-Kalasa from Sringeri and then take the route suggested by paragbhai to Udupi. You can reach Mumbai via Bhatkal-Kumta-Alnavar-Haliyal after covering Murudeshwara, Gokarna etc.

I have not travelled this latter route, but this had come up while we were researching a similar itinerary for a group of friends.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 22:10   #279
BHPian

Hi All,

Please do note that "Sri Dharmasthala Bahubali Mahamasthakabhisheka – 2019" is scheduled from February 9 @ 8:00 am - February 18 @ 5:00 pm and expect very high crowd than normal days/weekends and plan accordingly.
manjubp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 15:16   #280
Senior - BHPian

What is the best route to take from Hassan to Dharmasthala?
I would be starting from Hassan to Dharmasthala this Saturday and wanted to understand the best route.
Old 5th March 2019, 10:52   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I would be starting from Hassan to Dharmasthala this Saturday and wanted to understand the best route.
Been on the same route last month and my recommendation would be to stick with the Shiradi ghat ie., Hassan-Sakleshpur-Dharmastala. A good stop for breakfast would be Ossoor just before Sakleshpur town.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 11:25   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Shiradi holds good by default. And now Charmadi also is back to its best shape after recent repairs. You can find my update from the weekend drive here.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 13:48   #283
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Udupi-Brahmavar-Hebri-Agumbe-Sringeri would be the route. Roads were very good including Agumbe ghat last summer.
folks please stick to herbi-brahmavar-udipi section. Avoid hebri - manipal - udipi, the default route as manipal is right now one big mess. Roads being converted to concrete so a huge section which is dug up - diversions are essentially dirt roads. Will slow you down significantly.

Agumbe is is very good condition and if you have some spare time there is a nature park and a lake right at the summit checkpost, you can do some boating in peace.

Davanagere - Bukkambudhi - Ajjampura - Birur

This is one beautiful two laned road.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 6th March 2019 at 13:50.
cyberwhizs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 18:20   #284
BHPian

Which is the best and fastest route to reach Kukke Subramanya from Bangalore? Is it via Hassan - Sakleshpura-Gundya?

Also if i have to come back from Dharmasthala to Bangalore what is the route?

Please suggest.

Last edited by NFS2024 : 8th March 2019 at 18:25.
Old 8th March 2019, 18:38   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Which is the best and fastest route to reach Kukke Subramanya from Bangalore? Is it via Hassan - Sakleshpura-Gundya?
Yes. Refer road conditions, especially till Gundya first here and then here.

Quote:
Also if i have to come back from Dharmasthala to Bangalore what is the route?
Again, the standard route to return would be via Shiradi - Sakaleshpur itself.

The less preferred alternate route via Charmadi too is in good shape now (reported in the same post) but will be narrower and 11 Hair Pin climbs.

Given the present state of Shiradi, you can stick to the Sakleshpur Gundya route itself. If you are OK exploring (Not experimenting as I have shared the road status to be good anyway), you can return via Charmadi.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th March 2019 at 18:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks