Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 08:27   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
This time I am doing it in a car, and I would be deviating to Dharmasthala and then to Subramanya.

My current planned route is BLR/Hassan /Belur/Mudigere/ Charmadi/Ujjire/ Dharmasthala/ Subramanya/Sulya/ Madikeri/Mysore/ BLR
In recent post few people have posted - Belur - Mudigere road is not in good condition. Hence you can try out Hassan - Belur - Chickmaglur - Kottighehara - Charmadi route to Dharmastala.

Also instead of Kokkada route you can take the Ujire - Bellthangady - Uppinangady - Subarmanya route from Dharmastala.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st April 2020 at 13:34. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 12th March 2010, 10:17   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
In recent post few people have posted - Belur - Mudigere road is not in good condition.
Quote:
Mudigere-Belur road were terrible, so I ended up travelling on the country roads via Makonahalli (near abouts Sushrutha's place).
Yep, Belur-Mudigere via Cheekanahally Jannapura is in terrible state.
If you are willing to take narrow roads, follow the route mentioned by Prajwal.
Route is Belur-(after bus stand around 500mts take right) - Gendehally - Buskal - Kannapura(right) - Makonahally-Mudigere (take left at mudigere to go to Kottigehara-Ujire

Quote:
BLR/Hassan/Belur /Mudigere/Charmadi/Ujjire /Dharmasthala/Subramanya /Sulya/Madikeri /Mysore/BLR
Good road, but Sampaje ghats is in pathetic condition, this is what I heard 10 - 15 days back
Quote:
How is the Charmadi Ghats stretch now?
BEAUTIFUL

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st April 2020 at 13:31. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 12th March 2010, 10:37   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post

Also instead of Kokkada route you can take the Ujire - Bellthangady - Uppinangady - Subarmanya route from Dharmastala.
Why is that ?
Isn't the Dharmasthala -Gundya- Subramanya route pretty much shorter than the above route ?
How is Dharmasthala- Gundya stretch ??
Old 12th March 2010, 11:02   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
The route to follow is as mentioned below
BLR-HASSAN- BELUR-MUDIGERE- KOTTIGEHARA-KALASA- HORNADU-SRINGERI
SRINGERI-AGUMBE- HALADI-KOLLUR
KOLLUR-KUNDAPURA-UDUPI- KARKALA-GURUVAYANKERE- UJIRE-DHARMASTHALA-KUKKE
KUKKE-PUTTUR- SAMPAJE-MADIKERI -HUNSUR-MYSORE
As per the latet update, Smapaje ghats is in bad condition.
Along with Belur-Mudigere stretch.
Thanks a lot.
Any way to avoid Mudigere stretch?

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st April 2020 at 13:31. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 12th March 2010, 11:18   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Why is that ?
Isn't the Dharmasthala -Gundya- Subramanya route pretty much shorter than the above route ?
The route is shorter but till few months back Dharmasthala- Gundya stretch was not in good condition.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:21   #141
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by sushrutha
The route to follow is as mentioned below
BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE -KOTTIGEHARA-KALASA-HORNADU-SRINGERI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepkm View Post
Thanks a lot.
Any way to avoid Mudigere stretch?
Take this route instead
BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-CHIKMAGALUR-ALDUR- BALEHONNUR-MAGUNDI-KALASA HORNADU
HORNADU-BASARIKATTE-JAYAPURA-SRINGERI
This route is slightly longer. Not much abt the present road condition from Hornadu - Sringeri

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 11:00. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 12th March 2010, 12:05   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why is that ?
Last I heard, the Dharmasthala-Gundya stretch was decent enough and the Gundya-Subramanya stretch was very good. This is the shortest route to go from Dharmasthala to Subramanya.

EDIT: Wasn't the Dharmasthala-Gundya stretch newly laid last year or so?

Last edited by addyhemmige : 12th March 2010 at 12:10.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:46   #143
Senior - BHPian

From Neliadi to Mangalore the road is in a good to decent shape, so i guess i dont have to tell more
Old 12th March 2010, 12:50   #144
Senior - BHPian

Well i drive via this route 5-10times a year so am gauging in terms of driving and riding too...

I have seen this road is dangerous state and the current condition is very doable by any car!

Quote:
There is a big difference travelling on the bike and in the car. I have found that it is relatively easier on the bike. I did it on the bike in Jan when the roads were supposedly "better", I saw that the cars were really struggling to go thru the potholes, but I was better off on my bike.

This time I am doing it in a car, and I would be deviating to Dharmasthala and then to Subramanya.

My current planned route is BLR/Hassan/ Belur/Mudigere/ Charmadi/ Ujjire/Dharmasthala/ Subramanya/Sulya/ Madikeri/Mysore/ BLR

I hope the roads would go easy on my M800.

Prajwal

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st April 2020 at 13:32. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 12th March 2010, 13:06   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Last I heard, the Dharmasthala-Gundya stretch was decent enough and the Gundya-Subramanya stretch was very good. This is the shortest route to go from Dharmasthala to Subramanya.

The road surface changes quickly in the coastal districts, sometimes even one rain is enough to change the surface.

Most of the roads in coastal districts are laid very badly and all the money goes inside contractors pocket.

But these days government I can find in few places they have started using merchandised system to relay the roads.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:22   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

You are right, I did Gundya-Dharmasthala 2 weeks back and the road is pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well i drive via this route 5-10times a year so am gauging in terms of driving and riding too...

I have seen this road is dangerous state and the current condition is very doable by any car!
This road stretch is still very dangerous for a small car like 800!
Old 21st May 2010, 13:47   #147
BHPian

Hi all,

Any updates on road condition from Horanadu / Kalasa to Sringeri ?

In 2008, we drove this route -- Horanadu - Kalasa - Balehole - Basarikatte - Sringeri and was good.

Another route, though long, Horanadu - Kalasa - Samse - Kudremukha - SK border - Sringeri was good till SK border and then was pathetic till Sringeri.

any advice on which route to take ?

Rgds,
Rao
Old 21st May 2010, 14:00   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Another route, though long, Horanadu - Kalasa - Samse - Kudremukha - SK border - Sringeri was good till SK border and then was pathetic till Sringeri.
Hi Rao,

The roads will be good now, usually after heavy rains in June and July the road surface changes.

There is a direct road between Kudremukha and Sringeri. No need of going down all the way to SK Border.
Old 21st May 2010, 14:00   #149
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Hi all,

Any updates on road condition from Horanadu / Kalasa to Sringeri ?

In 2008, we drove this route -- Horanadu - Kalasa - Balehole - Basarikatte - Sringeri and was good.

any advice on which route to take ?

Rgds,
Rao
Hello roamingrao, member GopiKB had visited Horanadu in May. Here is a link to his post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1866980

I am not very sure which road he took, but most probably the second one. He has stated that the roads were good all the way from Sringeri to Horanadu.

But since its rainy now, I guess most of the roads would have turned rough.
Old 21st May 2010, 15:28   #150
BHPian

MCR, thanks for pointing roamingrao to me. It is very good that he asked the question. First let me clarify the route that roamingrao should take. Please use the route

Horanadu - Kalasa - Samse - Kudremukha - SK border - Sringeri

Please dont take the Basirikatte route. I did the mistake of taking the Basirikatte route and this is where I experienced the bad roads. Not that the road is full of potholes. It is a single lane road and we have to get down the shoulder whernever we need to overtake or another vehicle comes in opposite direction. It is perfectly ok to do this when there is no rains. But when it rains or it had rained recently, the mud in the shoulders become slush and your wheel will sink into it and the car will get stuck. It is very difficult to take the car out of the slush as well. On two occasions I had to get off the shoulder and I could get out of it just because of the car momentum and the wide tyre profile that the Fiat Grande Punto Emotion pack comes with. It was dangerous none the less. I could feel the car was almost floating when it entered the slush. If you see my timings, I took 3 hours to cover this stretch. This is because a bus in front of us got stuck in the slush when he was trying to pass another bus in opposite direction. He could not get the bus out of the slush at all. As he tried to accelerate, the bust was moving towards the cliff after the slush. So all the passengers got out and we were also stranded. If I was to overtake him, I have to get down the slush on other side and I just took a chance with confidence in my Punto which did not let me down.

I wanted to post a travelogue on this experience, but am too tied up to find time. I even clicked a picture of the bus that was stuck. Will post it later.

Bottomline, please avoid the Basirigatte route and drive through the comforts of NH via kudremukh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks