Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 15:18   #61
BHPian

lohith, it's the usual weekend respite. ready to leave on friday night, only to surrender myself to b'lore traffic by sunday night. any place you'd suggest?
Old 8th October 2007, 16:37   #62
Senior - BHPian

Skandy if you are planning for 2 days then i wont suggest Mangalore. since the road conditions are not favourable. you will end up driving most of the time. Instead will suggest "Chikmalur" this is about 4-5 hours drive. roads are good. you can stay in some nice resort and vist the nearby places like "Mulaingiri hills, Kemmangundi, Sringeri(about 90 odd kms) and while coming back Belur and Halebidu.

Last week i was there and i did have some good time.
Old 8th October 2007, 22:06   #63
BHPian

Oh, forgot to mention - it's most likely that the trip will be extended to 3 days. I prefer a much longer drive than to chikmagalur - something like 1200 km both ways would be good.

So I'm looking for a 600+ km drive through the most pleasurable stretches of the Western Ghats. Have already been to Chikmagalur, Belur, Halebeed, Shravanabelagola - but never to the western coast.

I read on this thread that the Charmadi ghats are some of the best to drive through. But is the road surface so very bad?
Old 9th October 2007, 08:27   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Oh, forgot to mention - it's most likely that the trip will be extended to 3 days. I prefer a much longer drive than to chikmagalur - something like 1200 km both ways would be good.

So I'm looking for a 600+ km drive through the most pleasurable stretches of the Western Ghats. Have already been to Chikmagalur, Belur, Halebeed, Shravanabelagola - but never to the western coast.

I read on this thread that the Charmadi ghats are some of the best to drive through. But is the road surface so very bad?
In that case, go to Karwar/Goa, chill out and come back....it is about 650km one way...
You can do coastal karnataka in 2 day weekend anytime later...

Abhi
Old 9th October 2007, 11:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

If you have 3 days n 1200 kms + travelling to do then my preference would be like this
Day 1 . . Bangalore(5am) - Hassan - Belur-Mudigere (10.30 - Breakfast) - Kudremukha - Karkala - Kateel - (2.30 -3pm -Lunch Visit temple) - Udupi - Murdeshwar ( 9 pm -Stop over - HALT)
Day 2 .. Murdeshwar - Karwar - Goa ( HALT)
Day 3 ... Goa - Belgaum - Dharwad - Chitradurga - Bangalore...
Total distance would be around 1400 Kms
Day 1 will be a bit tiring I know
Old 9th October 2007, 11:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
If you have 3 days n 1200 kms + travelling to do then my preference would be like this
Day 1 . . Bangalore(5am) - Hassan - Belur-Mudigere (10.30 - Breakfast) - Kudremukha - Karkala - Kateel - (2.30 -3pm -Lunch Visit temple) - Udupi - Murdeshwar ( 9 pm -Stop over - HALT)
This route is good, but i would suggest that you halt at "Marvanthe" and chill, day 3 go to kollur - Agumbe - Shimoga - BLore. this would be a good mix.
Old 9th October 2007, 12:52   #67
BHPian

Yes, this looks very interesting.

Thanks for the suggestions, lohith, sushrutha and akroy. Talking to my friends about these possibilities. Will pop up with queries and more queries in due time.

Last edited by skandyhere : 9th October 2007 at 12:55. Reason: Personalisation
Old 9th October 2007, 13:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No point in just spending a night in Goa, you cannot enjoy the place, it will be only driving, if you can spend a full day in goa then go ahead otherwiseno point visiting Goa just for your tripmeter showing 1200+km...

Abhi
Old 9th October 2007, 13:58   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
No point in just spending a night in Goa, you cannot enjoy the place, it will be only driving, if you can spend a full day in goa then go ahead otherwiseno point visiting Goa just for your tripmeter showing 1200+km...

Abhi
Yep I do agree ... but the distance he mentioned is around 1200 Kms.

Anyways the best would be Stay at "Marvanthe" as suggested by Lohithrao.
How good is the Turtle bay beach resort now in Marvanthe(gangolli)? . I had been there pretty long back.
If it's Still good you can stay there.
Old 9th October 2007, 14:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How good is the Turtle bay beach resort now in Marvanthe(gangolli)? . I had been there pretty long back.
SUsh its a decent place to stay, last year i was there. what i like the most is the location.

100_1175.jpg :: Turtle Bay.. @ Fotopic.Net
100_1177.jpg @ Fotopic.Net
100_1178.jpg :: View from the resort... @ Fotopic.Net
Old 9th October 2007, 16:46   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I too agree !!
Day1: Halt at Turtle Bay (route as mentioned by Sushrutha)
Day2: Murudeshwar, halt at Gokarna
Day3: Gokarna - Sirsi - Haveri - Bangalore

Abhi
Old 9th October 2007, 17:09   #72
BHPian

Looks like a lot of options! Will finalise the program and get back to you guys.
Old 9th October 2007, 18:59   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
read in todays Kannada daily that "Shiradi" ghats will be closed for few months as the repair works will be done. so the traffic will be directed towards bilse and charmadi. since these roads are narrow and not in a great shape. can expect some traffic jams.
A week ago Shiradi was not closed officially,but the only vehicles that could ply were the mining trucks. KSRTC had cancelled all the luxury buses & Volvos,no cars were plying either.It's good news now that it will be closed but the bad roads start 6km before Sakleshpur from the Hassan side.....so where will the closing point be ??
Old 9th October 2007, 19:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
A week ago Shiradi was not closed officially,but the only vehicles that could ply were the mining trucks. KSRTC had cancelled all the luxury buses & Volvos,no cars were plying either.It's good news now that it will be closed but the bad roads start 6km before Sakleshpur from the Hassan side.....so where will the closing point be ??
Just after sakleshpur - Probably Aanemahal or may be after Munjrabad fort, Coz you take deviation from there to reach bisle ghats .
Old 9th October 2007, 19:24   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Just after sakleshpur - Probably Aanemahal or may be after Munjrabad fort, Coz you take deviation from there to reach bisle ghats .
I think so too....but what about roads before & in sakleshpur....they're as bad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks