Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 10:44   #1096

Thank Rajiv for the quick reply.
I am going to take Bangalore-Hubli-Kittur-Panaji route.I find it shortest and fastest around 630 kms from my home to calungate.How is the stretch b/w Kittur-Bidi? Heard that it is deterioted.
While returning I might take route via Shimoga.
Old 10th June 2010, 22:22   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elendil View Post
Thank Rajiv for the quick reply.
I am going to take Bangalore-Hubli-Kittur-Panaji route.I find it shortest and fastest around 630 kms from my home to calungate.How is the stretch b/w Kittur-Bidi? Heard that it is deterioted.
While returning I might take route via Shimoga.
I have so far never travelled via Kittur Bidi to Goa, I usually travel via Hubli to Karwar & then to Goa after 1-2 days halt.

Fellow BHPians who have travelled recently on that stretch may be able to provide more information.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:20   #1098
BHPian

Yesterday on our way back from Neelmangala I was plesantly surprised that one of the flyover ( one side only towards Bangalore) near Himalaya Drugs was opened for traffic. I realised that i was on the flyover after 20-30 seconds as one KSRTC guy was trying to enter from the wrong side. Even some stretches below the Peenya flyover were also open for traffic.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:53   #1099
BHPian

Yesterday I was comming back from Gokarna, took Sirsi-Haveri route then NH4 and to my disappointment, I found the Road is not complete 4 lane and with many divertions, from Chitradurga to Bangalore it was 4 lane, my question is if someone can tell me what are the portions are complete 4 lane in NH4?
Old 14th June 2010, 14:07   #1100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Yesterday I was comming back from Gokarna, took Sirsi-Haveri route then NH4 and to my disappointment, I found the Road is not complete 4 lane and with many divertions, from Chitradurga to Bangalore it was 4 lane, my question is if someone can tell me what are the portions are complete 4 lane in NH4?
  1. Bangalore - Nelemangala - Work in Progress
  2. Nelemangala - Tumlur - Complete
  3. Tumkur bypass - Complete (90%)
  4. Tumkur bypass exit - Chitradurga - Complete
  5. Chitradurga bypass - Complete (95%, just the marking remains)
  6. Chitradurga bypass - Davanagere - 85% complete with 2-3 diversions
  7. Davanagere bypass - Harihar - Ranibennur - Work in Progress but 70-80% complete
  8. Ranibennur - Haveri - 70% complete, work remains to be completed over the 2 railway crossings.
  9. Ranibennur bypass (nearing completion, might soon open for traffic for LMVs).
  10. Haveri - Bankapura - Complete (except markings/painting)
  11. Bankapura - Shiggaon - Hubli Bypass - Complete
The worst of them is the exit from Bangalore (read speedbreakers), Ranibennur Railway gates. Else even Tumkur and Chitradurga bypass makes a good drive as compared to what it was a few months before.

So heading down to Bangalore, the choice is little and also depends on which part of NH4 you get on to drive to Bangalore. The condition of roads between Haveri to Chitradurga is so much better if I look back beyond 6-10 months from now.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th June 2010 at 14:10.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:57   #1101
Senior - BHPian

It is over 7 years project started and still 4 lane is not completed. Very bad on whoever developing this project.

Ravi.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:33   #1102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
It is over 7 years project started and still 4 lane is not completed. Very bad on whoever developing this project.

Ravi.
That is because the contract was terminated and the status quo remained for years together until now now when it was renewed and most of the work is being carried out by Gammon India. On NH4, The Chitradurga-Haveri stretch carried a distinction of one of the worst motorable roads on the so called golden quadrilateral!!
Old 14th June 2010, 15:39   #1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
I have so far never travelled via Kittur Bidi to Goa, I usually travel via Hubli to Karwar & then to Goa after 1-2 days halt.

Fellow BHPians who have travelled recently on that stretch may be able to provide more information.
Thanks Rajiv. In all my trips to goa, i particularly avoid Hubli-Karwar stretch because of a major accident 6 years ago. The huge and unruly traffic of trucks is a major issue on that stretch and it is also little longer. I prefer going via shimoga or via kittur. I prefer going via kittur if i want to reach in 10hrs or so.

Anyone who has recently done kittur bidi stretch, pls let me know. Another query is if i go till Belgaum and take NH4A instead of kittur-bidi stretch, how many more Kms i have to travel extra.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:49   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
That is because the contract was terminated and the status quo remained for years together until now now when it was renewed and most of the work is being carried out by Gammon India. On NH4, The Chitradurga-Haveri stretch carried a distinction of one of the worst motorable roads on the so called golden quadrilateral!!
Any idea on road condition of NH13 from Chitradurga to Bhadrabati? is it 4 lane or 2lane single highway?

Last edited by asdon : 14th June 2010 at 16:53.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:57   #1105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Any idea on road condition of NH13 from Chitradurga to Bhadrabati? is it 4 lane or 2lane single highway?
Not sure on NH 13 but guess this isn't 4 laned since I have never taken this route.
AFAIK. From Harihar, there is one to Honnalli towards Shimoga (SH) but again not sure if this is the preferred route but sure that this is a 2 laned road.
Old 14th June 2010, 19:05   #1106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not sure on NH 13 but guess this isn't 4 laned since I have never taken this route.
AFAIK. From Harihar, there is one to Honnalli towards Shimoga (SH) but again not sure if this is the preferred route but sure that this is a 2 laned road.
Its not 4L for sure. Road conditions: Others can explain.
Old 14th June 2010, 19:48   #1107
BHPian

I will prefer going on a single lane highway rather than going on a 4 lane road which is full of divertions, this was the 1st time I used NH4, and the impression was not so great.Specially after driving on NH 206, the specific part to mention would be from Bhadrabati to Jog Falls, so opened the map and found a route Bangalore - Chitradurga - Bhadrabati - Shimoga - Jog - Honnavar - Kumta - Gokarna, the road condition is very good and with an avg speed of 80kmph, one can reach Gokarna in less than 8 hrs.
Old 15th June 2010, 10:15   #1108
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning a Bangalore-Goa (location TBC)-Bangalore around October. From what I understand the GQ is being completed fairly quickly now.

Should I plan for GQ via Belgaum to Goa and how much time should this take if I can leave Bangalore by 0300?

Is it around 8 hours or 12 hours+? Confused!!!
Old 15th June 2010, 14:07   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Planning a Bangalore-Goa (location TBC)-Bangalore around October. From what I understand the GQ is being completed fairly quickly now.

Should I plan for GQ via Belgaum to Goa and how much time should this take if I can leave Bangalore by 0300?

Is it around 8 hours or 12 hours+? Confused!!!
11-12 hrs is a reasonable expectation. Again depends on your driving, i know some friends who have driven down in 8 hrs in Honda City. I take about 11 hours via Karwar.

Another important aspect to be considered is condition of roads to Goa (other than GQ) after monsoon. You may have to decide on the route based on the road condition.
Old 15th June 2010, 16:44   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
11-12 hrs is a reasonable expectation. Again depends on your driving, i know some friends who have driven down in 8 hrs in Honda City. I take about 11 hours via Karwar.

Another important aspect to be considered is condition of roads to Goa (other than GQ) after monsoon. You may have to decide on the route based on the road condition.
I would say 11 to 12 hours is reasonable time. I have however travelled non stop from Goa to Bangalore in 7.5 hours. That was done through the Karwar Hubli stretch with only one break of 5 min.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks