Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 11:40   #2941
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries

Hi All,
I just did Bangalore to Goa on the weekends. I took the Bangalore-Hubli-Ramnagar-Panjim-Anjuna route as suggested by sumannandy. Thanks a lot to him for his advice. It took almost 13.5 Hrs for me to reach the Destination with lot of stops at Toll plaza for tea and sight seeing during the journey and two stops for fuel.

The road was very good till Ankola toll/RTO and I did not have any strain or trouble given I was driving for the first time on such a long route. After that the road was in pathetic condition till Karnatka border. and then the condition changed all of a sudden. I fail to understand why, as I believe these roads come under NHAI and not under local authorities of the state. I may be wrong though.

While coming back, I initially thought of taking the Chorla Ghat-Belgaum route, but then went against it as I was already aware of the Panji-Ponda-Ramanagar route and road condition, so went ahead with that one.

One shocking thing I saw during this drive was there were lot people enjoying their hard drinks in the Ghat sections. Why do people have to take such a stupid decision while driving on such roads .

Anyways, except for few of these idiots on the roads, overall the trip was amazing and had a great experience. One suggestion though to any one going to Goa for holidays, try to find a guest house in Anjuna. The weather is great. I know it was January, but unlike Baga or Calagunte, there was no humidity in Anjuna and was a very pleasant weather. And most of the happening places are close by like LPK, Club Cabana, Vagatore, Chapora Forts, Curlies and Cafe lilliput (must visit) etc. Missed hippies though!!!
Old 27th January 2015, 16:03   #2942
BHPian

Rode to Goa over the weekend and here is the update on both the Chorla Ghat and the Ponda stretch.

Enroute :

Bangalore -> Tumkur -> Chitradurga -> Hubali -> Belgaum (NH4/NH47) -> Jamboti -> Sanquelim -> Mapusa -> Anjuna : 645Kms

-> There is bypass road called 'Old P.B Road' just after the Suvarna Vidhana Soudha. However, this road was closed. Hence, had to venture inside the city and lost about 45 minutes in the traffic.

-> Jamboti/Chorla Ghat - Fantastic stretch with loads of twisties. Just a little narrow, but absolute bliss.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-img_20150122_135548.jpg

-> The stretch from Querim (or maybe a little before that) to Sanquelim is a little patchy and lots of humps.

In all, it took me 10 hours to reach Anjuna.

Return :

Anjuna -> Panjim -> Ponda -> Mollem -> Hubali -> Chitradurga -> Bangalore : 620kms

-> Not as scenic as Chorla, but decent number of twisties.

-> Except for the following bad stretch and umpteen number of humps between ramnagar and hubli, this stretch is a good alternate instead of the Karwar stretch.

Bangalore - Goa : Route Queries-bad-stretch.jpg

-> Return took me 10.5 hours, as I had stop few more times, because of the bad stretch.
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 10:36   #2943
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Planning to travel to Ponda next weekend (20th) from Bangalore. From the last few pages, i felt following is a good option

Hubli Bye-pass - Ramnagar - Mollem

I will be travelling on Ertiga with family. So is this route better than the Ankola karwar route ? which is at least 1-2 hours longer i feel.

How much is the ghat section on this Mollem route ?
Old 9th February 2015, 10:43   #2944
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
How much is the ghat section on this Mollem route ?
Hubi Bypass-Alnavar-Mollem road is good. A bit average over the ghats. The exit on the bypass is also well marked. Look for Alnavar exit.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 11:35   #2945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hubi Bypass-Alnavar-Mollem road is good. A bit average over the ghats. The exit on the bypass is also well marked. Look for Alnavar exit.
Thanks, How are the Ghats as compared to say this side of western ghats(Shiradi/Charmadi/Agumbe etc)
Old 9th February 2015, 11:58   #2946
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, How are the Ghats as compared to say this side of western ghats(Shiradi/Charmadi/Agumbe etc)
I dont think it would as bad as Shiradi. They are much better. Chorla is top notch for that matter.
Old 9th February 2015, 12:23   #2947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think it would as bad as Shiradi. They are much better. Chorla is top notch for that matter.
Thanks, So I need not go via the longer Ankola route then. Planning to start at 4 AM . google says 568 kms and 8.5 hours .. is it really doable that fast ?
Old 9th February 2015, 12:29   #2948
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, So I need not go via the longer Ankola route then. Planning to start at 4 AM . google says 568 kms and 8.5 hours .. is it really doable that fast ?
If you have to hit Mollem, then point taking the Ankola route. If the idea is to hit South Goa, then Hubli/Ankola/Karwar makes sense. Yes it would take about 9-10 hours of drive time at a sedate speed.
Old 9th February 2015, 12:59   #2949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you have to hit Mollem, then point taking the Ankola route. If the idea is to hit South Goa, then Hubli/Ankola/Karwar makes sense. Yes it would take about 9-10 hours of drive time at a sedate speed.
My destination is Ponda(temples) so i guess Mollem makes sense then. to save those extra kms.

Thanks alot

Suppose i start at 4 AM, what are the eating options for me ?
Old 9th February 2015, 13:02   #2950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Suppose i start at 4 AM, what are the eating options for me ?
4Am is the perect time to start.

BF: Ranebennur Kamat. 310+km in about 4 hours at sedate drive. You should be there by 8.

If you need a break before, there is a Kamat just before the beginning of Sira bypass, but on the opposite side. There is a Kamat before Hubli too. After you take the Alnavar road, there are hardly any options.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 22:13   #2951
Senior - BHPian

Here is my recommendation

I start (usually) at around 8.30AM from Bangalore after having breakfast. Then around 1 or 1.30PM stop at Ranebennur Kamat for Lunch. Further reach south Goa via Mollem route to my destination by 6-6.30PM. The only disadvantage of this is to lose the whole day. But I usually plan my Goa trips this way. Advantages are you get nice night sleep without having to wake up very early and meet all your food times without any concerns.
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:25   #2952
Senior - BHPian

Back from Goa. Thanks to Ampere, Journey was smooth.

Started from home at 4 AM and reached my destination at ponda by 12:30 via the hubli-ramnagar-mollem route. Except for around 20 km of rough stretch in karnataka border, roads were excellent.

I wonder when Goa can maintain such wonderful tar roads in ghat sections, why cant our Karnataka ministers do the same ? They visit Singapore and other countries abroad to study roads !! All they need to do is drive down to Goa

Thanks to India bike week, the roads was filled with plenty of Harley Davidson bikes, So it was a mouth watering journey both directions
Old 27th February 2015, 16:01   #2953
BHPian

I know the 3 routes ( via Karwar, Via chorla, Via Mollem ) have been discussed to death on this thread. The last time i did a road trip to Goa was 3 years ago. I took the Karwar route to get in and Mollem-Londa route to get out. I regretted my decision to take the Mollem route even though it saved me about an hour or so in comparison to Karwar.

I understand the Chorla route is shorter than Karwar, How good are the roads. Its just me and the wife traveling in our brand new X1, So i want to take a route with good roads even if it means an extra 100 Kms.
Old 1st March 2015, 22:51   #2954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
I know the 3 routes ( via Karwar, Via chorla, Via Mollem )

I understand the Chorla route is shorter than Karwar, How good are the roads. Its just me and the wife traveling in our brand new X1, So i want to take a route with good roads even if it means an extra 100 Kms.
I did this route during IBW 2015 (19th Feb. to 22nd Feb.)

Currently the Chorla Ghat Road is in excellent condition. The Road is a Single Lane, but wide enough to pass through 2 Cars easily. Check your GPS, If it shows, great. While going I touched Ponda and Old Goa. But while coming back, it was Mapusa, Bicholim and then Sanquelim. My return journey started after 9:30 pm from Panjim. Thank God, it was uneventful. I took the touch points from Paulo Travels, since my GPS maps were not showing this route. If you need more information, PM me.
Old 10th March 2015, 09:11   #2955

Quote:
Would you remember how long it took you from Alnavar to Mollem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks