Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2008, 16:48   #196
BHPian

Just returned from my Banglore Goa Trip. We went in an Innova and route taken was Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Honnavar-Karwar-Margoa-Panjim. The roads are good except for some crazy speed breakers around Tumkur and some patches of bad roads between Shimoga-Honnavar. Rest was all fine we managed a top speed of 140kmph. Total Distance covered each way ~620 km. Time taken was a rude shock 11.5 hours each way. Got stuck in bad traffic between Yeshwantpur and Nelamangala even at midnight and then on it was fine even on the way back we reached Bangalore at 11 pm after starting there at 11:30 am with multiple stops on the way. The Innova diesel was a breeze to drive though quite shaky when you break at 100+ kmph, skids all over the place on hard breaking. We have done this same stretch in 10 hours or lesser in our sedans OHC Vtec, OHC 1.5 exi and even in a Santro some years ago. Overall a great trip, do take this road if anyone is heading out to Goa as the Traffic is also much lesser compared to the other options.
Old 5th May 2008, 18:05   #197
Senior - BHPian

Tell me about those speed breakers...I think are ment for trucks and buses!
Old 5th May 2008, 21:14   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
anarchist : Total Distance covered each way ~620 km. Time taken was a rude shock 11.5 hours each way. .
Why a rude shock ? The time's not too bad.
Old 5th May 2008, 21:19   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
CorsaLove : Shridi from Pune .. is a 4 hour travel i'm guessing..

Anyone has any ideas on this?
190 km. Pune - Khed - Sangamner - Shirdi
Old 5th May 2008, 22:02   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilinto View Post
Hi Gopal,
what was the route you took between tumkur & shivamogga ? via chitradurga ? ?
I took NH206 i.e. Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Kadur - Tarikere - Shimoga. If you are planning Chitradurga - Channagiri - Bhadravati route, I would not recommend it. I have travelled some distance on the Bhadravati - Channagiri route and would not like to go back there. There is hardly any road.
Old 5th May 2008, 22:05   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Tell me about those speed breakers...I think are ment for trucks and buses!
The speed breakers are totally unscientific and most of them are not marked. If you are travelling at high speeds (essentially do not follow the fantastic speed limits displayed), your are sure to go over atleast one of them.
Old 7th May 2008, 01:29   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Team,
I am planning to drive Goa-Belgaum-BLR later today.
here is the plan
1) Leave goa before Noon.
2) Travel to belgaum via Sawantwaddi ( or mabey anmod )
I live in Ponda, so i usually take the anmod route, logically anmod sounds better than sawantwadi as in the latter you go up north and then come down south. Anmod is pretty good , i usually manage ponda-belgaum in less than 2.5 hours

Quote:
Team,
3) got about an hours work in belgaum
4) head towards hubli and then down to haveri.
5) night halt at Haveri.
If your comfortable driving at night and/or you've got a buddy who can drive maybe you can do some night driving and reach bangalore by early morning, I do that

Quote:
Questions:
1) any suggestions on the timelines each section would take ?
When i drove from bangalore to goa , left bangalore at 11 pm from BTM 2nd stage, was in Ponda (via anmod) at 9.30 am

Quote:
2) I have heard some conflicting information on the condition of this route.
also does this road have heavy truck traffic ?
NH4 has truck traffic at night but you should be able to manage just fine. dont know how its during day time though , never driven through nh4 in the day. make sure you have a decent horn and a set of 100/90 or 130/100 headlights

Quote:
3) whats a better route between goa and belgaum ?
via swantwaddi or via anmod ? ( i mean road conditions )

both would be equally good, anmod is slightly bad for like a km , for the rest its good.
Old 19th May 2008, 18:08   #203

I am planning a trip to Goa on 24th May. I am going from Chennai to Goa. After going thru' all I have shortlisted the below 2. Pls advise which would be better time wise & also driving
1) BLR-HUBLI-KITTUR-BIDI-KHANAPUR-ANMOD-PANJIM
2) BLR-HUBLI-BELGAUM-KHANAPUR-ANMOD-PANJIM
How good are the road between Kittur & Bidi, the stretch of 14 kms. Is it motorable as I have a Verna which doesn't boast a good ground clearance. If via Belgaum is going to take almost similar time, I don't mind driving up to Belgaum and taking NH4 from there. Is it easy to identify NH 4A from NH4 or should we have to enter Belgaum town and navigate.
Old 20th May 2008, 12:59   #204
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh2004 View Post
1) BLR-HUBLI-KITTUR-BIDI-KHANAPUR-ANMOD-PANJIM
I did this on May 11th in a Bolero. The 165 kms from Panjim-Anmod-Khanapur(not really you come off before it)-Bidi-Kittur took 3 hours with a breakfast stop and keeping the jeep below 90kmph.

The Anmod ghat, the Belgaum-Londa route is an absolute beauty. Take this before the monsoons.

Filcord another member here took the same route in his Baleno. Just one stretch of about 1 km is really bad, actually no raod but nothing scary just loose red soil with small stones.

Oh and try and make your way out of Bangalore before 5 in the morning the Peenya route is a mess.

Total distance: Miramar, Panaji - Goa to Airport Road, Bangalore 630 kms via the above route.
Old 20th May 2008, 14:38   #205

Thanks. Ok. I will take the Kittur-Bidi-Khanapur route. I actually returned from Goa last September. Some truck drivers advised me to take the Khanapur route from Ramnagar and not to use the direct route to Hubli. I had no problem till Khanapur but seeing your postings, I think I got lost in between. I commuted thru' some worst roads and again joined the alnavar route and joined NH4 at Dharwad. This time I have to be more careful and take the correct route
Old 24th June 2008, 22:22   #206
BHPian

Can someone update the latest road conditions post monsoon.
Old 25th June 2008, 00:50   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
190 km. Pune - Khed - Sangamner - Shirdi
Condor Sir, any idea on the road conditions? sorry OT
Old 25th June 2008, 00:52   #208
BHPian

Bangalore to Goa done last week by my office colleagues. 4 in a swift.

Route taken - Bangalore - Davangere - Hubli (Bypass) - Karwar - Goa. Road conditions are awesome and it took 12 hours flat for them both ways.
Old 25th June 2008, 15:13   #209
BHPian

I want to explore the places in between and have a week in hand to cover Goa. Planning approx 3 days in Goa. Other than Jog falls, what are places which can be seen en-route ? How about via Mangalore ?
Old 25th June 2008, 20:56   #210
Senior - BHPian

I suggest one idea. Since its not raining properly try this route. Jog Falls is not worth right now.

Bangalore - Shimoga - Hosanagar - Kollur - Murdehshwar (do halt here good hotels) = 500km.

Murdeshwar - Honnavar - Ankola - goa = 230km

After Goa try this:

Leave Pananji in the morning itself - Mapusa - Sawantwadi - Amboli (spend till evening 4pm ) - Belgaum = 170km.

Next day Visit Gokak Falls If its raining in that area. Then either head to bangalore that day or next day.

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks