Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 20:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

HVK,
The bridge was opened back for traffic a long time back, after some maintenance work. I think they relaid the cement road or something.
Old 26th August 2008, 21:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Subbu, thanks for the detailed report - what is the status of the bridge at Musiri?
The bridge at Musiri is cemented but quite bumpy. And we need to pay the toll charges of Rs. 5.

However, one need to very careful before taking right to join the bridge, since there are quite a bit of private buses, sand lorries plying on this bridge at a faster speed.

And other funny thing, if some one wants to take the tollgate route to trichy, they have to enter Musiri, since the byepass has been blocked by the people of Musiri to ensure the buses entering Musiri town. Hence we the private cars, has to enter Musiri if we need to go to tollgate.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
Old 29th August 2008, 17:01   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Subbu,
I will mostly be going to trichy in a few days. Could you tell me the best route from Salem to Trichy. Best = easy to drive, less traffic. Need not be the shortest.
Thanks.
Old 29th August 2008, 17:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

@Androdev - Go from Salem to Namakkal and there on to Trichy. The only pain here is the private bus that plies between Salem to Rasipuram, they are a real pain!!!

Apart from that, you will not find too much of traffic and the road, even though you might encounter pot holes with the rains falls recently, are ok.

Do not take thru Karur. Bad roads and a bigger pain due to heavy vehicles!
Old 30th August 2008, 11:38   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks HW. Planning to drive during wed/thu next week. If the drive is good, I might go there on a regular basis. (A very good friend of mine lives there)
Old 30th August 2008, 14:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Subbu,
I will mostly be going to trichy in a few days. Could you tell me the best route from Salem to Trichy. Best = easy to drive, less traffic. Need not be the shortest.
Thanks.
Hi Androdev,

Happywheels said it correct. You need to tackle the horrible private buses enroute till Rasipuram junction. After namkkal, roads are in good shape till Thottiyam.

There is only route to reach to Trichy from Salem. That is through Namakkal - Thottiyam - Musiri. Only from Musiri, you can decide to choose either Kulithalai or Tollgate route. Kulithalai route is shorter by 20-25 kms, but with some blind curves and narrow bridges enroute. Some part of roads are not that good. But this route will take you directly to chathiram Bus stand, from there you can reach any part of Trichy.

Tollgate route - roads are good, but again with some blind curves and with plenty of speed breaks in each village. Taking this route, will make you to join Chennai - Trichy highway and then you need to negotiate with all the traffic from Chennai till Trichy. And also 20-25 kms etc. Moreover Chennai - Trichy highway is in bad condition till Trichy. I mean not the entire route. Atleast from the junction we need to join the highway till Trichy.

I generally prefer Kulithalai route since I can straigh away head to the city with out facing any busy chennai - trichy traffic.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
Old 30th August 2008, 17:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HW. Planning to drive during wed/thu next week. If the drive is good, I might go there on a regular basis. (A very good friend of mine lives there)
Welcome mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbusos View Post
....I generally prefer Kulithalai route since I can straigh away head to the city with out facing any busy chennai - trichy traffic...
+1 from me. Even I prefer this route. I have felt that this stretch of road thru Kulithalai is maintained better when compared with the other one.
Old 30th August 2008, 18:15   #38
BHPian

can anyone suggest which right turn I should take in Hosyr in case I have to use the Rayakotta road to reach dharmapuri? I have seen one right turn about 100 meters before Hosur flyover with a board indicating Rayakottah and there is a right turn immediately after hosur fly over.Which is the right turn for rayakottah?
Old 30th August 2008, 18:57   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
+1 from me. Even I prefer this route. I have felt that this stretch of road thru Kulithalai is maintained better when compared with the other one.
However, I dont agree that this road is maintained better, since I have seen lot of new pot holes popping out and the old ones were not cleared, especially the one right in the Kulithalai town. Even when nearing to Trichy, after Mukkombu, near Mutharasanpettai and Kambarasanpettai, roads are broken. Hope they are resolved soon.
Old 30th August 2008, 19:00   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
can anyone suggest which right turn I should take in Hosyr in case I have to use the Rayakotta road to reach dharmapuri? I have seen one right turn about 100 meters before Hosur flyover with a board indicating Rayakottah and there is a right turn immediately after hosur fly over.Which is the right turn for rayakottah?
You can take the right turn which is after the flyover. That is better since you can skip the Hosur market traffic and straightaway hit the highway.
Old 4th September 2008, 21:43   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally managed to drive to Trichy. Details:

Route: BLR - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Kulithalai - Trichy
Home-to-Home distance: 353KM
Journey Time: 6 1/2 Hrs (no breaks)
Mileage: 15.2KMPL
Avg Speed: 55KMPH
Car: Skoda Laura

Lot of diversions and potholes - think I will have to get new set of brakes!
SALEM-NAMAKKAL stretch is really bad!

On return journey, I took some diversion and ended up on Rayakotta route by mistake!! This is a very scenic route with nice winding roads. But not comfortable to do high-speeds due to 2-lanes, less visibility (winding roads), potholes.

Overall, it is not that bad. I expect to drive to Trichy more often :-)
Old 4th September 2008, 22:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...On return journey, I took some diversion and ended up on Rayakotta route by mistake!! This is a very scenic route with nice winding roads. But not comfortable to do high-speeds due to 2-lanes, less visibility (winding roads), potholes...
Same mistake happened to me... took a wrong turn and ended up on this stretch. As you said, the 2 land road and the traffic and also the villages does not let you enjoy the drive!
Old 5th September 2008, 09:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same mistake happened to me... took a wrong turn and ended up on this stretch. As you said, the 2 land road and the traffic and also the villages does not let you enjoy the drive!
Quote:
Finally managed to drive to Trichy. Details:

On return journey, I took some diversion and ended up on Rayakotta route by mistake!! This is a very scenic route with nice winding roads. But not comfortable to do high-speeds due to 2-lanes, less visibility (winding roads), potholes.
Both of you would have taken the left just before entering Dharmapuri town, you have huge board which says Bangalore with a arrow marked straight and Dharmapuri marked right. This road also acts as a byepass to Dharmpuri used mostly by trucks.
Old 5th September 2008, 10:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Both of you would have taken the left just before entering Dharmapuri town, you have huge board which says Bangalore with a arrow marked straight and Dharmapuri marked right. This road also acts as a byepass to Dharmpuri used mostly by trucks.
True, a big board is there. And we do, 95% of the time, have a police guy standing there directing all trucks. But my mistake was thinking that this road will get me back to the highway, after 30kms or so. Didnt know that I will be able to get back only at Hosur!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 5th September 2008 at 10:07.
Old 8th September 2008, 10:15   #45
BHPian

Quote:
True, a big board is there. And we do, 95% of the time, have a police guy standing there directing all trucks. But my mistake was thinking that this road will get me back to the highway, after 30kms or so. Didnt know that I will be able to get back only at Hosur!
I generally prefer this route instead of dharmapuri-krishnagiri-hosur route since:
1. Good scenic road instead of dry routes.
2. Less traffic
3. OK roads with predictable pot holes instead of the unpredictable potholes/diversion enroute to Krishnagiri.

However, Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri route is quite ok now after opening the new roads.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks