Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 14:02   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I will be driving back down on Sunday night (Monday early morning) from Trichy to Bangalore next week (25th).

Subbusos, I reckon you will be starting back on Sunday afternoon, is it?
Yes, you are right. However I might postpone it to Monday 25th afternoon. But that depends on the workload. Not sure now.

BTW, we could plan the return though.
Old 18th May 2009, 18:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

Sure thing, Subbu! We will plan it out.

Will PM my number later.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:37   #93
Senior - BHPian

Drove back from Trichy yesterday. Except for the stretch from Trichy to Kulithalai (on the Karur byepass) and further on SH25 till close to Namakkal, the roads are just ok. Watch out for pot holes.

Once you get close to Namakkal, the road get better and from Namakkal, it is good. But do watch out for diversions. Driving after a long time, the entire scenary has changed!

Just after Thoppur, there is the toll gate for the new L&T highway, 48Rs for cars.

The highway is pure bliss. Driving on a Monday morning, with minimal traffic (almost no traffic) was a blessing. Made very good speed and distance. But do watch out for those hero's out there who take pleasure in driving on the wrong side, that too on the right extreme!!!

Had a slight confusion when I entered Salem. There was a huge bridge construction and I went straight, but notice the Salem Gate hotel and did a quick round back to the correct direction (you can notice this in the KML file).

Also, tried to take the NICE road, but missed the road from Banagetta road to Mysore road, so had to take the usual traffic path.

Here are the KML files of the trip. Had a break for a WONDERFUL breakfast at Hotel Nala at Namakkal. So the log is broken by that pit stop. Enter the given URL directly in the map search box in Google maps.

Trichy to Namakkal : http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1188126/2...y2Namakkal.kml

Namakkal to Bangalore: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1188126/2...makkal2Bng.kml

(EDIT: Right click and do "Copy Shortcut" in IE or "Copy Link Location" in FF to get the complete URL; do not highlight and copy.)

Last edited by HappyWheels : 26th May 2009 at 15:39.
Old 8th June 2009, 10:37   #94
BHPian

Road Condition - Bangalore - Trichy

I recently did the following Bangalore -> Trichy -> Madurai -> Kodaikanal -> Madurai -> Trichy -> Bangalore

Here is the feedback on the roads.

Bangalore -> Nammakal should be a breeze. Just watch out for the diversions. You have an extra Tollgate for the Topur section that you need to pay at Dharmapuri. There is a Salem tollgate being constructed. It should be operational very soon

To enter the road that takes you to Trichy through Periyar Palam please take a left right after Selvam Engineering College.

Please avoid taking Musri - Tolgate route due to construction work in Trichy bypass roads. I lost close to an hour and 15 mins in the same.

I suggest you look at the Trichy -> Karur Bypass -> Periyar Palam -> Namakkal

Trichy -> Madurai is in excellent condition except the diversions at some places. I could do it in less than 2 hrs without aggressive driving

A2B on the NH7 towards Bangalore is an excellent place for a short break. People who like south indian coffee will love this place

Happy driving

Sateesh
Old 8th June 2009, 10:46   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
I recently did the following Bangalore -> Trichy -> Madurai -> Kodaikanal -> Madurai -> Trichy -> Bangalore
Why you took Tiruchy route for Madurai? Any specific reason?
Old 8th June 2009, 10:49   #96
BHPian

Road Condition - Bangalore - Trichy

Here is the feedback on the roads.

Bangalore -> Nammakal should be a breeze. Just watch out for the diversions. You have an extra Tollgate for the Topur section that you need to pay at Dharmapuri. There is a Salem tollgate being constructed. It should be operational very soon

To enter the road that takes you to Trichy through Periyar Palam please take a left right after Selvam Engineering College.

Please avoid taking Musri - Tolgate route due to construction work in Trichy bypass roads. I lost close to an hour and 15 mins in the same.

I suggest you look at the Trichy -> Karur Bypass -> Periyar Palam -> Namakkal

Trichy -> Madurai is in excellent condition except the diversions at some places. I could do it in less than 2 hrs without aggressive driving

A2B on the NH7 towards Bangalore is an excellent place for a short break. People who like south indian coffee should love this place

Happy driving

Sateesh
Old 8th June 2009, 10:51   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Why you took Tiruchy route for Madurai? Any specific reason?
Hey MJ,

I had to pickup someone on the way to Kodaikanal

Cheers

Satesh
Old 8th June 2009, 11:43   #98
BHPian

BLR-Trichy

Hello guys.. I am doing the Blr-Trichy Stretch tomorrow. Will update the road conditions with pics.. I visit trichy once a month or two..... The road conditions are awesome except for trichy namakkal.. about 50% of the roads are with potholes and sometimes not levelled. Lot of sand is being excavated from the banks of the river kaveri. hence at a few junctions you may encounter bullock carts in transit... and a lot of trucks lined up on the other side of the river..
Old 10th June 2009, 15:04   #99
BHPian

Update....road conditions..

Hello guys.. heres an update on road conditions..There is a flyover construction just after the trichy/musiri diversion, immediately after crossing the circle..... Let the pics and vids do the talking..

There are four pics for salem toll. Looks like it will be complete in a month....
A few videos to sum up the fun during the trip. The night drive along the cauvery river alongside with full moon as a cherry to top up....

Overtaking a Volvo on Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri :

Salem to Namakkal

Dharmapuri Toll..

Toll Fee : Rs.48 Single (one way)
Krishnagiri Toll : Rs.25 single (One way)

Finally Thoppur section.. Beautiful drive thru the hills....

There might be a little vibration.. as i was steering and holding the camera with one hand and managing gearshifts on the other.. ... Hope this info helps.. drive through the musiri - trichy is awesome especially at night during weekdays. But Watchout for some stretches where there is space for just a truck to pass by.. Now though they have added new speedbreakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries-salem.toll.1.jpg  

Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries-salem.toll.2.jpg  

Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries-salem.toll.3.jpg  

Bangalore to Trichy : Route Queries-nearing.namakkal.jpg  

Last edited by lancersfx : 10th June 2009 at 15:07. Reason: Update to links
Old 10th June 2009, 18:16   #100
Senior - BHPian

nice videos and pictures there lancersfx but with all due respect , i belive you must have been doing speeds near to 100 kmph or more when you overtook the volvo at that speeds it barely takes split seconds to screw up things . I would have delegated the video graphy to my co passenger.

Do drive safe .....
Old 14th July 2009, 09:41   #101
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Trichy this Thursday(16th July). Need to know the following.

1. Planning to start by 6.30 am from Bangalore - Breakfast at Hosur.
Where can I have lunch at? Not sure whether to have in Salem or can I go directly to Trichy for lunch. Please sujjest some good hotels for having lunch in enroute and in Trichy.

2. After musiri, which route to take and is best- tollgoate or kulithalai? Im new to this route and dont want to get confused.

3. Planning to stay for 3 days. I have booked for Hotel Gaja Priya. Is it a descent hotel to stay with family.

4. General road conditions.

Thanks in advance,
SNB
Old 14th July 2009, 10:49   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb77 View Post

1. Planning to start by 6.30 am from Bangalore - Breakfast at Hosur.
Where can I have lunch at? Not sure whether to have in Salem or can I go directly to Trichy for lunch. Please sujjest some good hotels for having lunch in enroute and in Trichy.

3. Planning to stay for 3 days. I have booked for Hotel Gaja Priya. Is it a descent hotel to stay with family.

SNB
I'd recommend A2B at Chinar for Breakfast.

If you wish to take Lunch at Salem, Sarathy's is a good place.

Dunno much about Gajapriya, but I've been staying at Ramyas at Trichy regularly for over 4 years now. Decent place with 24 hours room service.
Old 14th July 2009, 11:19   #103
Senior - BHPian

SNB,

Check out my GPS track log posted @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1320680

Will give you an idea of the route. I used to do this route twice monthly, but now toned down a lot. The last I drove was in May 2009.

And also, I go thru Kulithalai, since I can take the bridge just before the newly built DMK office to reach Thillai Nagar and off to central bus stand.

My track log ends just before the bridge at Trichy.

And you will get to reach Trichy well before lunch time, since the road are good, especially after the new L&T highway opening up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb77 View Post
I am planning to drive to Trichy this Thursday(16th July). Need to know the following.
Thanks in advance,
SNB
Old 14th July 2009, 11:45   #104
BHPian

I drive very frequently between Bangalore and Salem. Every week I traverse this distance. Bangalore to Salem is quite a good route. You could come across bit heavy traffic till Krishnagiri, due to the vehicles going towards Chennai but the traffic is very less between Krishnagiri and Salem, the road between these two is newly laid.

I clock 140 kmph in my new i10 kappa. It’s an amazing drive. Particularly the bypass road that is laid to bypass Dharmapuri city is really good. You could easily cross 140 Kmph. There are 3 tolls in total, one near Krishnagiri where in they charge 25 rs, and another near Dharmapuri where they charge 48 rs. One more toll is coming up near Karpur Engineering college Salem.

Saturday every week I start at 6:30 from Bangalore, take the Sarjapur road to hit Hosur. I finish my breakfast at Hotel Saravana Bhavan. If you are planning to take breakfast at Hosur then do not miss rice pongal at hotel Saravanabhavan, it is very good there. Suppose if you do not find parking place, it is very crowded on Saturday morning as you could see many heading to their home town and have their breakfast at Hosur, if you miss Hosur then your next stop to have breakfast could be the hotel Ananda Bhavan within the premises of Bharat Petroleum near Sulagiri before Krishnagiri. After my Breakfast at Hosur, once I press the accelerate pedal, my next stop would be my home at Salem. I enjoy my drive on my i10 Kappa every week.
Old 14th July 2009, 12:21   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
I finish my breakfast at Hotel Saravana Bhavan. If you are planning to take breakfast at Hosur then do not miss rice pongal at hotel Saravanabhavan, it is very good there.
Just a note. This has no connection with the Famous Sarava Bhavan in TN. Right? Also, most people may miss this if taking the hosur bridge

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks