Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2014, 15:56   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Dandeli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Budget around 7-8 hours for Dandeli with usual cruising speeds and breaks.
Started at 4:50AM. Took about 9.5 hours :-( 35 mins of jam due to accident near level crossing where RR touches NH4, and slow traffic immediately after due to 2 red lights. 75 mins lost due to villagers blocking NH4 just before Anagodu /Davangere Adjusting for that, it took less than 8 hours.
Old 1st September 2014, 16:36   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Now if only they enable a proper Dandeli exit on the Hubli-Dharwad bypass.
I know this topic has been beaten to death but what about this option to get on to NH4 while returning from Ganeshgudi/Dandeli?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Dandeli : Route Queries-haliyal.jpg  

Old 1st September 2014, 17:05   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I know this topic has been beaten to death but what about this option to get on to NH4 while returning from Ganeshgudi/Dandeli?
The route via Tadas is just about OK. You can take that. But dont expect a smooth ride. Its quite rough for some distance. I think @shishirbn has taken it some time back.
Old 1st September 2014, 18:38   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Tadas to Kalghatgi was freshly laid last year. Unless the quality of road-laying was bad, this section should be easy

But - Dandeli to Kalghatgi may not be so good, but I am not sure since it has been a long time that I traveled that section
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 09:33   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took this route in August end. Mostly fine, with some stretches of rough surface and a few potholes. Maybe 5-10 km if memory serves right. I could mostly drive at ~50-60kmph barring those sections.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 29th September 2014 at 09:34.
Old 29th September 2014, 16:10   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ended up taking the conventional Haliyal-Dharwad-Hubli route. As per updates from locals at Haliyal, the route via Kalghatgi was in a bad shape.
Old 6th December 2014, 11:13   #142
BHPian

Quote:
The route via Tadas is just about OK. You can take that. But dont expect a smooth ride. Its quite rough for some distance. I think @shishirbn has taken it some time back.
Hi, Any latest update on this route, shown in post #137? Even if that is moderately ok, I'm for taking that route for Dandeli. We are driving from Bangalore to Dandeli, on new year's eve.

regards,
Venu.
Old 2nd January 2015, 13:35   #143
BHPian

Did Bangalore to Dandeli & onwards to Amara Homestay (Gund village) on 23rd December.

Route & Details:
Bangalore - Nelamangala - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Hubli (entered Hubli to visit some relatives) - Dharwad Jubilee Circle - SH28 turn off - Haliyal - Dandeli - Amara Homestay.

Amara Homestay is 35 kms away from Dandeli and is one of the best homestays that I have ever stayed in. Trip Advisor has only 4, 4.5 & 5 ratings for them with virtually no negatives mentioned. Awesome place to stay. To reach here, from Dandeli it is a straight drive through the jungle.

Road Conditions to Hubli/Dharwad are superlative and traffic was sparse. SH28 is in excellent condition, other than approx. five kms before Haliyal. There are intermittent patches of roads which seem to be awaiting relaying, could possibly be done any time soon, I think. Haliyal to Dandeli seems to have been recently relayed and is in excellent condition all through. Dandeli to Amara Homestay is slightly older but in very good condition. Both these segments have sparse traffic on winding roads and consistent good speeds can be achieved.

Dandeli Highlights:
The major adventure is the river rafting opportunity. Registration is done at Jungle Lodges & Resorts at Dandeli and costs 1550 per person. They will take you in an SUV to the Supa Dam, being the start point. The rafting happens when the gates of the dam are open and has no fixed time/date. One would have to take a chance by reaching the spot and waiting for the gates to open. On some days it is opened at 1030 hrs and/or 1430 hrs. In case you are unlucky, then a full refund is provided. The Wildlife Safari is always there, however you would be lucky to spot wild animals. At times a deer or two and some birds, porcupine etc., most people come back without spotting leopards, panther, fox etc. which are residents of this very large jungle. There is a waterfall/rock formation called Syntheri rocks which is a good picnic spot and is approx. 25 kms from Dandeli towards Amara Homestay.
pariwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 12:07   #144
BHPian

Hi,

Just returned from a trip of Bangalore-Hubli Dharwad-Haliyal-Dandeli(Amara Homestay)-Anshi national park-Karwar-Gokarna-Kumta(Nirvana Nature)-Yana-Murudeshwar-Jog-Shimoga-Bangalore.

Some points:

1. Took the stanard route of NH47. Turned off to Dandeli just before Dharwad. A map is attached. While coming from Hubli, you will see a gravel road which connects to the Haliyal road. Not sure if

there is a proper connection up somewhere.

2. Followed google maps for the entire trip. Turned out to be accurate to the last bit.

3. Started from Bangalore at 4.30 AM and stopped at Kamat at Ranebennur for breakfast. OKish toilets and decent food. Did not see any options in Davangere on the NH.

4. Roads were butter smooth for the entire trip. Even the forest roads were awesome.

5. Amara home stay is quite good except that it is away from all the things you want to do. We ended up shuttling between Dandeli and Amara a few times. Food is good (only veg) though I

would've liked it a bit spicier.

6. Dandeli has enough ATMs and fuel pumps, so no worries there.

7. Visited Syntheri rocks, ulavi temple, did some boating & kayaking and jungle safari, and also a few nature walks.

8. Gokarna is a little dirty town with more foreigners than indians. Visited the temple and took an auto ride to Om beach. Did not see any hotels with toilet facility around the temple. There are a few

near the Om beach.

9. Stayed at Nirvana nature at Kumta. The place is closing permanently and we were the last and unfortunate customers. The place is very badly maintained. I will not go back there even if they

return.

10. Visited Yana and it is a very nice place to visit. A km or so of walk and the rock formations, temple and the caves are worth a visit.

11. Visited the Murudeshwar temple in the evening, and had a forgettable dinner at Hotel Naveen, just opp to the temple.

12, Returned to Bangalore via Jog falls and shimoga. water was a trickle in Jog.

Please do PM for any specific queries. Happy to help.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Dandeli : Route Queries-hubli_turn.jpg  

Last edited by vrvarier : 6th January 2015 at 12:10.
vrvarier is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 17:46   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
3. Started from Bangalore at 4.30 AM and stopped at Kamat at Ranebennur for breakfast. OKish toilets and decent food. Did not see any options in Davangere on the NH.
How long did you take to reach Dandeli from Bangalore

Can anyone comment on the road conditions via Khalgatti, i.e the route posted in post# 137? This is the route google maps gives by default from Bangalore
Old 21st May 2015, 10:34   #146
BHPian

Just returned from a trip to Dandeli. Have enquired with the folks out there in Dandeli, they suggested avoiding Kalghatti route and advised us to take Dharwad ->Haliyal route.

Here is the route
Bangalore - Nelamangala - Tumkur – Chitradurga - Davangere – Haveri - Cross Hubli bypass - Cross Dharwad bypass – turn right towards SH28 - Haliyal – Dandeli

You will see a deviation to get in to Hubli, dont get in to Hubli and continue on NH4, cross Hubli bypass and go further for around 20kms , cross Dharwad bypass and go further for around 5 kms. There is a small arch (to prevent heavy vehicles from passing through). Pass through that, cross around 200 mts of curved muddy road to get on to Haliyal road. It is easy to miss this arch if you don't watch out for it. I am posting a picture of it.

Bangalore to Dandeli : Route Queries-img_7300.jpg

Bangalore to Dandeli : Route Queries-img_7302.jpg

Last edited by daisyb : 21st May 2015 at 10:36.
daisyb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 12:12   #147
Team-BHP Support

Just dont understand why so much of a hesitation to provide an exit to Dandeli? The Haliyal road is normal SH. There should be nothing wrong to provide an exit.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 13:36   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Just dont understand why so much of a hesitation to provide an exit to Dandeli? The Haliyal road is normal SH. There should be nothing wrong to provide an exit.
Agree with you. It should be seemless to provide an exit. The deviation loops all around to take you on to SH, which is needless.
Old 1st July 2015, 14:24   #149
BHPian

Cross-posting my question about the route to Castle rock (Dudhsagar) from this thread.
Is the NH34 in good shape currently? I want to do NH4-NH34-NH4A to Castle rock this weekend.
Old 1st July 2015, 14:56   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Cross-posting my question about the route to Castle rock (Dudhsagar) from this thread.
Is the NH34 in good shape currently? I want to do NH4-NH34-NH4A to Castle rock this weekend.
The SH34 from NH4 to Ramnagar is a toll road now and in very good condition. The road is not that great till the GA border and beyond that it is superb. Refer to this post from Bangalore-Goa thread for more details.
Landkruzer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks