Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 15:02   #76
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Dandeli...how about the route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys - thanks much for your inputs. As I understand it, the route to be taken is as given below, with point 'A' being Kesarolli Cross and point 'B' being Handali checkpost. Please correct me if I am wrong..
That is accurate, @cool_dube.
Old 18th January 2012, 15:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Perfectly valid. If end point is G-Gudi, then the route you mention makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
That is accurate, @cool_dube.
Thanks - that settles the first part. Now for the G-Gudi to NH-4 sector - I believe my best bet here is to take the SH all the way (via Haliyal) to Hubli-Dharwad bypass, only challenge being getting on to NH-4. Looks like I might have to get into Dharwad town unless I am able to locate a particular mango farm

Also, how about the Haliyal - Kalghatgi - Tadas option?
Old 18th January 2012, 15:51   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks - that settles the first part. Now for the G-Gudi to NH-4 sector - I believe my best bet here is to take the SH all the way (via Haliyal) to Hubli-Dharwad bypass, only challenge being getting on to NH-4. Looks like I might have to get into Dharwad town unless I am able to locate a particular mango farm

Also, how about the Haliyal - Kalghatgi - Tadas option?
Better to go to Dharwad.

To answer the point on finding NH4:

If you are on the SH, you would find the NH4.
The problem is the other way round.If you are on NH4 you can easily miss the farm!

Basically once you go under the NH4, you should see a dirt road on the left.
Old 24th May 2012, 11:00   #79
MCR
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Dandeli. I plan to take the following route;

Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Haveri - Hubli - Dharwad - Dandeli.

Please let me know the condition of NH4 and the road from Dharwad to Dandeli.

Also please let me know if taking a diversion towards Kalhatgi - Haliyal is better?
Old 24th May 2012, 14:03   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Please let me know the condition of NH4 and the road from Dharwad to Dandeli.
Also please let me know if taking a diversion towards Kalhatgi - Haliyal is better?
50 km of rough (but not broken) SH. You can easily cover the same in about 80-90 minutes. Do note that
there is no proper exit from NH4 bypass to the Haliyal SH.

No point going to Kalhatgi. Dharwad option is much better.

Last edited by ampere : 24th May 2012 at 14:33.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 14:10   #81
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
50 km of rough (but not broken) SH. You can easily cover the same in about 80-90 minutes. Do note that there is no proper exit from NH4 bypass to the Haliyal SH.
ampere, does it mean that I should enter Dharwad town and later ask for directions to Haliyal SH?
Also please let me know the approx. time required from Bangalore to Dandeli. I plan to start at 5.00AM from Bangalore.
Old 24th May 2012, 14:37   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
ampere, does it mean that I should enter Dharwad town and later ask for directions to Haliyal SH?
Also please let me know the approx. time required from Bangalore to Dandeli. I plan to start at 5.00AM from Bangalore.
MCR,

No you dont need to enter the town. The issue is that there is no tarred road from the NH4 bypass to the Haliyal SH.
But as per what I read of late, that acess has become very difficult. So looks like, it would be better to get into the town.

Here is the ref: (Same thread earlier post by @AG)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2640561

Bangalore to Dharwad should be about at 6-7 hours. If you start by 5, you should be in Hubli by 11 and at
Dharwad by about 11:30. Add another 1 to 1.5 hours you should be in Dandeli.

Last edited by ampere : 24th May 2012 at 14:38.
Old 26th May 2012, 16:33   #83
BHPian

Recently did Hubli -Blr in 5.5 hrs. Excellent road conditions and very light traffic between Hubli and Chitradurga. You should add another 2 hrs for Hubli-Dandeli via Dharward.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:50   #84
Senior - BHPian

Just did a round trip bangalore-Dandeli-Bangalore. Roads are in excellent condition all the way to Dandeli. A little bumpy after you get off the NH. Otherwise it's a drivers paradise with the twists and turns.

Apparently the only gripe along this route is the dearth for good restaurants. The only good place we found was a restaurant diagonally opposite Navagraha Tirtha temple at Varur near Hubli . The place was called Jagadish Dhaba or something. Good food and reasonably priced, not a high end place though.A few kms ahead is Kamath and haven't heard anything great about this place too.

A heads up for those of you who plan to do rafting at river kali. Ensure you call up your resort in advance and find out if rafting is available during your dates of stay. We were plain lucky to get a shot at it only coz the authorities had opened the dam gates when we were there.

From what we were told the frequency of opening the gates is once in 8-10 days. You might want to check on this before you head out.
Old 22nd September 2012, 01:39   #85
BHPian

Road update

Did a Dharwad -Dandeli ride yesterday, the roads from Dharwad upto Haliyal is pretty good, after Haliyal the road has deteriorated a bit till Dandeli,the road is driveable and decent speeds can be maintained for most of the stretch, did not ride after Dandeli only went till Molangi. I did the return journey to Dharwad in about 50 mins.
Old 7th November 2012, 16:27   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Just did a round trip bangalore-Dandeli-Bangalore. Roads are in excellent condition all the way to Dandeli. A little bumpy after you get off the NH. Otherwise it's a drivers paradise with the twists and turns.
Hi Rjstyles69,

Since you have had the most recent travel from Blr-Dandeli, can you please update on the route you took and the condition of the road. Did you go via Kalghatgi-Haliyal or did you go via Dharwad-Haliyal?
I am planning to go there, so you inputs would be very useful.
Old 7th November 2012, 17:06   #87

Hi,

I did a Bangalore - Ganeshgudi - Dandeli - Bangalore during the Dassara holidays. I followed this thread which said the best way to go is Bangalore - Dharwad - Dandeli and it turned out to be an excellent route.

My route and observations are as follows :

Brookefields - Nelmangala : used ORR at 630am and it took me a long time since there is some going on at the railway crossing. It took me 2 hours to reach the Nelmangala tollgate.

Nelmangala - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davangere - Hubli - Dharwad - Haliyal - Dandeli : The drive till Dharwad is all on NH4 and is s breeze. Depending on how you drive one can do the stretch from Nelmangala toll to Dharwad in about 4-5 hours. From Dharwad to Dandeli is on SH28 which is not bad at all. There is literally no traffic on SH28 and you should be able to reach Dandeli in about an hour from Dharwad.

Please note all the travel time does not include stops for food and fuel.

I would strongly recommend this route for anyone wanting to reach Dandeli in the shortest time, may not be the shortest distance.
GOTJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 16:55   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTJ View Post
Hi,

I did a Bangalore - Ganeshgudi - Dandeli - Bangalore during the Dassara holidays.
===========
I would strongly recommend this route for anyone wanting to reach Dandeli in the shortest time, may not be the shortest distance.

Hi GOTJ, I am driving down this weekend as well.. A couple of queries

1) Where do we branch off to hit SH28 @ Dharward ? Any signages or landmarks that orient us from NH4.

2) Any eatries/scenic sopts one should visit once branched out to SH28 and headed towards Dandeli ?
Old 31st December 2012, 21:12   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversun100 View Post
Hi GOTJ, I am driving down this weekend as well.. A couple of queries

1) Where do we branch off to hit SH28 @ Dharward ? Any signages or landmarks that orient us from NH4.
I dont think there is a NH4 to SH28 exit. You need to get into Dharwad town and then take the SH. Folks used to take exit on mud road and then join the SH towards Dharwad side of NH4 and then drive towards Haliyal/Dandeli.
Dont know whats the situation today.

Quote:
2) Any eatries/scenic sopts one should visit once branched out to SH28 and headed towards Dandeli ?
Hardly anything. Dhaward-Haliyal is almost dry stretch.
Do note : Dhawad/Hubli fall on the leeward side of the western ghats; almost a rain shadow area
Old 11th January 2013, 15:08   #90

[COLOR=black]Thanks Ampere. Back from Dandeli. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]You are right; there is a mud road across with an iron cast, used as an impediment to not allow heavy vehicles to cross on there. Unfortunately, on the way to Dandeli, since it was about 3 AM, missed noticing this and entered Dharward town to hit SH28, but very easily spotted this on the way back in daylight. Road from Dharward to Haliyal currently ok, with some bad patches, good news is this is getting re-laid.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Note - Dharward has two (IOC & HPCL) 24 hour bunks and do refill to ensure no fuel shortage while passing further on, incase of your travelling by night.[/COLOR]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks