Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:54   #91
BANNED

He will go around in circles if he tries to get onto the ORR towards Marathahalli from Krishnarajapuram coming from Hosakote .

Go through the city sir - faster and easier.

However, if you do want some entertainment, the correct route is:
After descending the KRPuram bridge, take the left exit that says "Bangalore City". Take the first U-turn after the exit and go back towards the bridge. Take the left exit before the bridge that says "ITPB / Whitefield / Hosur NH7)". After crossing under the bridge, take the flyover - this is the ORR towards Marathahalli. Not for the faint hearted.
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:57   #92
BHPian

Thnx folks for all the advice, I prefer to go thru the city, i am aware of directions till entering MG road, how would i proceed from there please to mysore road?

tnx
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:35   #93
BHPian

MG Road starts from Trinity Circle if you are coming from KR Puram side. You will see Lido Mall on your right just before this circle. Take left in this junction and take immediate right. Continue on this road straight, you will reach Richmond Circle. Don't take the flyover, continue below it. Go straight on the signal, after crossing the signal the road will veer left and you will reach Hudson Circle. Again continue straight, you will be forced to turn right at one place for one way, this turn will lead you to Mysore Road flyover.
Old 11th May 2009, 11:17   #94
BHPian

To understand how easy it is to miss a turn and get in to a mess Just see waht one of my firends going to Chennai from bangalore via krishnagiri di.
He missed to turn @ krishnagiri and turned into NH 7 and reached Salem before he figured out he was not on the right road. Starting @ 6 PM from blr couldn't see that the highway was different as both were 4 lane highways.

And from Salem ended up in Aroor forest area following a bus to Chennai (sniff!) and had to ask for directions from a traffic inspector who was more interested in the KA registration of the car and asked for all the papers and sent him on another winding route.
He finally reached Chennai when it was light thats 11 hours + ordeal for what should be a have been a 5-6 hours cruise on the GQ.
It may look silly to funny now that its done but it was a pain while it lasted.
So when you are given directions do make the effort to confirm with some locals before taking the turns.
Old 11th May 2009, 12:29   #95
Senior - BHPian

@ Marlin - He must have taken the Salem - Harur - Uthangarai - Tirupathur route which would have brought him back to NH46 at Vaniyambadi which was only about 60 kms away from Krishnagiri if he had taken a left at the NH46 & NH7 Jn. instead became a 230 kms detour via Salem and what not.

To be fair the signages a fairly clear once you pass the Krishnagiri toll and its pretty obvious not to miss unless and until your friend was addicted to speed on seeing the open roads
Old 11th May 2009, 18:30   #96
BHPian

I am wondering if your friend even knew as much as,that at Krishnagiri, somewhere (even if he doesnt know where exactly) he has to take a left turn.
Old 11th May 2009, 19:08   #97
BHPian

If we are relaxed when driving its easy to be aware of such things, point is it was dark and he was probably in a hurry so did not see the signages but these things happen at times to the guys with a clear head too.
Old 31st August 2009, 08:05   #98
BANNED

NH4 between Bangalore and Mulbagilu is best avoided - 4 laning happening in full swing + the usual traffic continue to contribute in making this stretch a nightmare.

However, after Mulbagilu bypass, the road is back to normal all the way upto Ranipettai.
Old 26th April 2010, 18:15   #99

Dont take Chithoor road

Hi, I just completed Chennai - Bangalore via Chithoor and regret it big time. I work in Whitefield and hence I thought I will take the Chithoor road and because it had the double road being built, I thought it would be wise to come this way. However it has been a very frustrating route with a lot of diversions in the last segment ( Mulbagal to KR Puram ) which will tire you out to the core. Please refrain yourself to the NH7 via Krishnagiri and after Hosur take the right at Attibele to reach to East Bangalore just in case if you need to head to this part of the city.
Old 26th April 2010, 21:16   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinothkc View Post
Hi, I just completed Chennai - Bangalore via Chithoor and regret it big time. I work in Whitefield and hence I thought I will take the Chithoor road and because it had the double road being built, I thought it would be wise to come this way. However it has been a very frustrating route with a lot of diversions in the last segment ( Mulbagal to KR Puram ) which will tire you out to the core. Please refrain yourself to the NH7 via Krishnagiri and after Hosur take the right at Attibele to reach to East Bangalore just in case if you need to head to this part of the city.
The solution to that is to use the Sarjapur State Highway to bypass traffic on NH7. At the Chandapura junction, turn towards Sarjapur and use the Varthur road to go to Whitefield.

PS: This I meant is folks wanting to go to Whitefield and using NH4/NH46/NH7 from Chennai.

Last edited by ampere : 26th April 2010 at 21:17.
Old 13th October 2010, 11:07   #101
BHPian

Update on the route

Hi,

How is the Kolar route to Chennai now? I stay in north bangalore near sahakar nagar and I usually take the silk board-hosur-GQ route to chennai during off peak hours, and NICE road(Somewhere before Nelamangala)-Hosur during peak hours.

Wanted to know if the 4 laning is done in NH4, and if the roads are good. Last Nov I went to Tirupati and the roads were in a pretty bad shape.
Old 13th October 2010, 11:20   #102
Team-BHP Support

4L work is happening only till Mulbagal. It is not extending beyond that.
Its still preferable to take NH46.
Old 25th October 2010, 00:11   #103
BHPian

Man I used to take the Chittoor route until a couple of years of back when the 4 laning was happening on NH46 and loved it then! But stopped taking it after the GQ was operational. There is no point taking the Chittoor route unless you are really frustrated traveling by the GQ and want some pure alternate driving experience.(Some sections of ghat near Palamner).
Even for the East, South East and North East destinations in Bangalore the GQ is preferable through the Attibele-Sarjahpur-Varthur-Whitefield-KRPuram route as Ampere has suggested here.
Old 25th October 2010, 00:19   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Man I used to take the Chittoor route until a couple of years of back when the 4 laning was happening on NH46 and loved it then! But stopped taking it after the GQ was operational. There is no point taking the Chittoor route unless you are really frustrated traveling by the GQ and want some pure alternate driving experience.(Some sections of ghat near Palamner).
Even for the East, South East and North East destinations in Bangalore the GQ is preferable through the Attibele-Sarjahpur-Varthur-Whitefield-KRPuram route as Ampere has suggested here.
Some of my friends used to take the Chitoor route just because they could and drop at their destination just after entering BLR. Even they stopped as its not worth it.
Old 5th May 2011, 23:08   #105

re: Bangalore, Chennai via Chittoor : Route Queries

I drove to Chennai yesterday and returned today. I went via the Kolar route and came back via the "normal" GQ route. So I have latest updates.

The 4-laning till Mulbagal is almost fully done - only bits and patches are remaining. Toll is not yet being charged. And the traffic is very low on this route compared to GQ. So, once this 4-laning completes, this will be a very good route only till Mulbagal. After that, its the old dual carriageway via Chittoor, till Ranipet. This old road still retains "Madras" signboards - those bent and rusted boards look like they've been there, unchanged from the 1980s. But anyway, a speed of 80-90 can be maintained on this road too, in most places. The road is bad in a few places and there are a couple of startling speedbreakers, but overall, its ok. My verdict: the road can be taken in the day without problems. There is very very less traffic compared to GQ route, and lots of trees and greenery. After Mulbagal, it is that typical old fashioned Indian highway of the 90s.

One incident that happened on this route: as soon as I entered AP, the policeman at the RTO checkpost flagged me down and peeped into the car. Then, he smilingly asked for "entry fee into AP". For a moment I thought it was some official toll and asked him how much. He said, "give whatever you want". That's when I realized that the goon was asking for bribe! I refused and drove off.

And of course, While coming back, the GQ is same as usual, good roads with nice surface but too many people coming on the wrong side, requires extreme caution during the several gaps in median. One irritating thing about GQ route nowadays, is the excessive, maddening traffic from Krishnagiri to Bangalore. This stretch needs to be 6 laned - 4 lanes are just not enough here. This stretch is a major minus point for the GQ route.
Bangalorean is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks