Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2015, 19:46   #151
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The road you are talking about is the V Koot road aka NH 532. It would be a shame to call this NH. I endured a tough time and rough drive while going to kumbakonam.
IMO the best route from Bangalore would be Via Hosur,Krishnagiri, Salem, Ulundurpet, Vriddhachalam, Jayamkondan and T Polur.
Incase you do not wish to spend more money on tolls, the route would be via Hosur,Krishnagiri, Kambainallur, Morappur, Harur, T V Malai, Tirukkoilur by pass, Ulundurpet and the remaining route same as what is mentioned above.
Sometime back bhpians tried the Attur-Perambalur-Ariyalur-kumbakonam route to avoid the Koot Road - Virudhachalam bad stretch and reported it to be good. Not sure about the current status.
Old 12th December 2015, 08:43   #152
BHPian

To add to it, the recent rains have cast their spell on the roads as well. Dad travelled there yesterday and updated that the roads around Kumbakonam have gone for a toss! The Thanjavur-Kumbakonam and Kumbakonam-Mayiladudhurai which were pretty decent as recent as October are now in shambles!
luvurride is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 09:07   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
To add to it, the recent rains have cast their spell on the roads as well. Dad travelled there yesterday and updated that the roads around Kumbakonam have gone for a toss! The Thanjavur-Kumbakonam and Kumbakonam-Mayiladudhurai which were pretty decent as recent as October are now in shambles!
That is not good news. That road (I think it used to be called 45C) was quite decent and wide. Now I just cant imagine the same route in shambles and add to it heavy traffic which is ever present (2-wheelers and 4-wheelers).
Old 16th December 2015, 14:41   #154
BHPian

Latest update from my team member, a native of Mayiladudhurai is that the roads are pathetic. Rains have stopped but the dust and dry mud on roads create a mini dust-fog everytime a bus or a mini-bus goes.
Am thinking of riding to some other place with better roads now (and skip the Kumbakonam run) :(
Any suggestions from the experts?

Last edited by FuelInjector : 16th December 2015 at 14:48.
Old 22nd December 2015, 09:42   #155
BHPian

The roads in and around Mayiladuthurai, sirkazhi, chidambaram, vaitheeswaran koil and karaikal are in shambles. Work has started on patching the road and is progressing steadily. should be complete by 31st december (as per an order by the chief minister). First hand information from my team member who is from mayiladuthurai and had visited his home and nearby places over the weekend.
:( my trip is in ? now.
FuelInjector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:04   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
The roads in and around Mayiladuthurai, sirkazhi, chidambaram, vaitheeswaran koil and karaikal are in shambles. Work has started on patching the road and is progressing steadily. should be complete by 31st december (as per an order by the chief minister). First hand information from my team member who is from mayiladuthurai and had visited his home and nearby places over the weekend.
:( my trip is in ? now.
Hey Thanks for the update.
I am planning to visit Kumbakonam, Chidambaram, Vaitheeswaran koil and surrounding temples next week. Hope the patching work makes roads drivable and doesn't take too much of time. Fingers crossed!

-Ravi
Old 23rd December 2015, 05:55   #157

Hi

I am also planning to visit Chidambaram,Kumbakonam and Rameshwaram next week. Pls suggest me the good family accommodations in Kumbakonam and Rameshwaram.
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:32   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satran View Post
Hi

I am also planning to visit Chidambaram,Kumbakonam and Rameshwaram next week. Pls suggest me the good family accommodations in Kumbakonam and Rameshwaram.
At kumbakonam, you can try the following places.

Hotel Rayas, near Mahamaham tank,
Hotel PLA Residency, diagonally opposite to Railway Station
Kumbakonam Home Stay, near Palakarai.

But due to holiday season, it may be difficult to get accommodation now. But still do give a try.

For Rameshwaram, look up Rameswaram thread where multiple options are listed.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:06   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satran View Post
Hi

In Kumbakonam , you can try Sri Chakra Homes / Darshan homes near Uppiliappan temple, Thirunageswaram. This is about 6 kms from the heart of Kumbakonam town.
I have stayed here before. Good place to stay.
Old 25th December 2015, 17:38   #160

Hi Team

Did any one travel today from Bangalore to Chidambaram? Pls confirm the present road condition. I am planning to travel to Chidambaram this Sunday with my family.
Old 26th December 2015, 14:38   #161

Re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Hi Team

I just called hotel in Chidambaram and enquiry about the road condition between Blr to Chidambaram they suggested me to come below route.

Bangalore-Salem-Attur-Chinnaselem-Ulundurpet-pallur- Cuddalor-Chidambaram

Any one tried this route.
Old 28th December 2015, 15:21   #162
BHPian

Went to Trichy ----> Siruvachur --------> kumbakonam --------> Bangalore this weekend. The route taken from Kumbakonam to Bangalore was through Jayamkonda, Virudhachalam bypass and finally merged into Ulundurpet-Salem highway. The route was pathetic with road works happening, too many pot holes through Jayamkonda and virudhachalam route. Google shows 6 hours 45 minutes but keep another hour to hour and a half now.
Old 4th January 2016, 16:31   #163
Senior - BHPian

Road condition update for those who travel to Kumbakonam via Trichy/Kallanai.

Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur route-Trichy => 99% Roads are in good condition with occasional potholes or rough roads. No big worries.

Kallanai-Poondi => Excellent newly laid roads. I hope Trichy to Kallanai should also be good, though i didn't travel that 20 kms.

Poondi-Thirukattupalli-Thiruvaiyaru-Thingalur => Bad roads with potholes. Though road laying working is going on which will take a week or so to complete.

Thingalur-Kabisthalam-Kumbakonam => Good roads with negligible potholes. No big worries.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 16:28   #164
BHPian

I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Kumbakonam and Thanjavur between 23rd to 26th January. Which route is better

Salem - Ulundurpettai - Vriddachalam - Kumbakonam or better to take Salem - Namakkal - Trichy - Thanjavur - Kumbakonam

I prefer better road conditions to a shorter route
Old 18th January 2016, 17:18   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakhs View Post
I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Kumbakonam and Thanjavur between 23rd to 26th January. Which route is better

Salem - Ulundurpettai - Vriddachalam - Kumbakonam or better to take Salem - Namakkal - Trichy - Thanjavur - Kumbakonam

I prefer better road conditions to a shorter route
Going via Salem, Ulundurpet, Vriddhachalam, Jayamkondan will be the best route.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed