Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Thanks sushrutha for the detailed info
Any nearby places to visit
Gajanur Dam, Sakrebyle, Bhadra reserviour, Shivappa naik's Kote, Mandagadde bird sanctuary, Lion safari, Jog falls & Linganmakki Dam , Mattur -(sanskrit spoken village)
Old 5th October 2009, 14:13   #17
BHPian

Back from Shimoga
Update for NH206
Roads are OK with some bad stretches. Repair work can be seen.In TV news it was being told there are heavy rains but there were light showers only
Old 5th October 2009, 15:14   #18
BHPian

Travelled on this route 2 weeks back on the way to Honavar. Its bad in some stretches and have to be careful while overtaking. Rains have already done their damage. It has not rained very heavily in this region in the last few weeks.
Old 6th November 2009, 15:16   #19
BHPian

I am planning to drive down BLR - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Tarikere - Lakavalli route. What is tha latest (Nov'09 if possible) condition of NH206 post monsoon ?

Also, is it worth taking Shimoga bypass at Tumkur early in the morning ? From the map, it appears that the distance-wise it may be slightly more than going through the town. So, assuming zero-traffic, which one is a better choice (road quality - highest preference) ?

Is there any good eatery on NH-206 (between Tumkur and Arsikere) ?
Old 6th November 2009, 17:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
I am planning to drive down BLR - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Tarikere - Lakavalli route. What is tha latest (Nov'09 if possible) condition of NH206 post monsoon ?

Also, is it worth taking Shimoga bypass at Tumkur early in the morning ? From the map, it appears that the distance-wise it may be slightly more than going through the town. So, assuming zero-traffic, which one is a better choice (road quality - highest preference) ?

Is there any good eatery on NH-206 (between Tumkur and Arsikere) ?
The road condition is good all the way till Shimoga.
As you are travelling early in the morning, Better to take the route inside Tumkur city. Avoid tumkur bypass stretch.
There is not much of choice for any eatery between Tumkur-Arsikere, Only one comes to my mind is the one @ KB Cross(kibnally cross), it's just a decent hotel, nothing great.
Else you try @ Tumkur itself, Pavitra Hotel, famous for Thatte idlis.
Old 11th November 2010, 14:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Folks have any of you guys used the bangalore-shimoga route recently,just need to know the road conditions.

Also whats the best route to traverse from Thirtahalli back to bangalore? I remember having read in of the threads that there was a scenic route via Kudremukh. Cant seem to find that thread though. What do you guys recommend ?
Old 11th November 2010, 14:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Folks have any of you guys used the bangalore-shimoga route recently,just need to know the road conditions.

Also whats the best route to traverse from Thirtahalli back to bangalore? I remember having read in of the threads that there was a scenic route via Kudremukh. Cant seem to find that thread though. What do you guys recommend ?
Bangalore to Tumkur - Everybody knows
Tumkur to Tiptur - Pretty good roads with occasional road humps.
Tiptur to Arsikere - Goods roads(Watchout for occasional craters)
Arsikere to Bhadravathi - 2 kms stretch near birur where are two railway crossings, no road at all. Bhadravathi to Tarekere, little bad roads but doable. (Watchout for occasional craters)
Bhadravathi to Shimoga - Good roads.
Shimoga to Thirtahalli - One of the best roads, you can think about, single lane, watch out for on-coming vehicles, twisty roads but awesome road.

I covered all these roads 15 days ago and my brother did it last week.
Old 15th November 2010, 12:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Bangalore to Tumkur - Everybody knows
Tumkur to Tiptur - Pretty good roads with occasional road humps.
Tiptur to Arsikere - Goods roads(Watchout for occasional craters)
Arsikere to Bhadravathi - 2 kms stretch near birur where are two railway crossings, no road at all. Bhadravathi to Tarekere, little bad roads but doable. (Watchout for occasional craters)
Bhadravathi to Shimoga - Good roads.
Shimoga to Thirtahalli - One of the best roads, you can think about, single lane, watch out for on-coming vehicles, twisty roads but awesome road.

I covered all these roads 15 days ago and my brother did it last week.
Riju,
as rk_sans has mentioned it's almost correct. except for the TIPTUR-ARASIKERE-BHADRAVATHI stretch. This has deteriorated pretty badly with occasional deep potholes due to heavy rains in past 15 days . Some are so deep you may even get you Scorpio's suspension screwed. Some part of the road is in good condition.
Keep your vechile speed below 80kmph to avoid the potholes.
Forget travelling at night, some potholes are not visible during night.
I did a trip to Shimoga just 3 days back.

Quote:
Also whats the best route to traverse from Thirtahalli back to bangalore? I remember having read in of the threads that there was a scenic route via Kudremukh. Cant seem to find that thread though. What do you guys recommend
From Thirthalli via kudremukha will be a longer route to Bangalore. If you still want to go through this road, then the route is as follows
Thirthally - Agumbe-Sringeri-SK Border - Kudremukha - Kalasa-Mudigere-Hassan-BLR.
Route is good by 80%
Bad route between Mudigere -Gonibeedu and Chennarayaptna - BLR
Best is between Kalasa - Mudigere , recently tarred up. My update is as of 1 week back for Kalasa route
Mudigere - BLR , update is as of Today

Last edited by sushrutha : 15th November 2010 at 12:28.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Happenned to travel from tirthahalli to Bangalore via Mudigere 10 days back. Road from Tirthahalli to Mudigere is good except for a strectch of 12 KMs from Aldur which is bad. Dont take the road via Gonibeedu to Channarayapatna which is again bad. Alternately travel to Belur from Mudigere via Gendehalli which is good - though single way - and scenes are awesome.
Old 26th December 2011, 14:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
From Thirthalli via kudremukha will be a longer route to Bangalore. If you still want to go through this road, then the route is as follows
Thirthally - Agumbe-Sringeri-SK Border - Kudremukha - Kalasa-Mudigere-Hassan-BLR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Happenned to travel from tirthahalli to Bangalore via Mudigere 10 days back. Road from Tirthahalli to Mudigere is good except for a strectch of 12 KMs from Aldur which is bad.
Hi, does anyone have any updates on roads around the Thirthalli area? I am planning a trip this weekend from Hassan and will be going through Shimoga. How is the Shimoga-Thirthalli-Agumbe route? Another option we have is to visit Bhadra reservoir and take the Bhadra Project Area-Umblebyle-Muthinakoppa-Thirthalli road (and avoid Shimoga). Google maps shows a connection between the Umblebyle road and the NH 13 just before Thirthalli. How is the road condition on this route?

The next day, our plan is to reach Kundapura from Thirthalli. How are the road conditions on the following routes?

Thirthalli-Hulikal-Hosangadi-Siddapura-Kundapura
Thirthalli-Agumbe-Someshwara-Shankarnarayana-Kundapura

Please suggest any other alternate routes.
Old 27th December 2011, 14:56   #26
BHPian

Restarting this thread! We're planning to go to Shimoga during the new year. We want some place quite and is not filled with dazzling lights or drunk groups!

Anyway, has anyone been here recently? If so, please let us know. And ya, we are riding, so a quick weather status is also appreciated.
Old 27th December 2011, 17:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
How is the Shimoga-Thirthalli-Agumbe route?
Addyhemmige,

I had been through this route 2 months ago, and it's bad. It's bad enough to be unpleasant to drive through in a car.

You may already know this, but I should say the stretch from Shimoga to Thirthalli is fantastic to drive through!

I am not aware of road conditions in any of the routes from Thirthalli towards Kundapura.
skandyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 17:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Addyhemmige,

I had been through this route 2 months ago, and it's bad. It's bad enough to be unpleasant to drive through in a car.

You may already know this, but I should say the stretch from Shimoga to Thirthalli is fantastic to drive through!

I am not aware of road conditions in any of the routes from Thirthalli towards Kundapura.
Thanks. From what I see here, I guess all roads from Thirthalli towards Kundapura are not in good shape. I've driven to Agumbe a few times and this will be the first time I will be going through Thirthalli, hence my question. I am taking an Innova, so hopefully, it should be a smoother ride (than in a car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Happenned to travel from tirthahalli to Bangalore via Mudigere 10 days back. Road from Tirthahalli to Mudigere is good except for a strectch of 12 KMs from Aldur which is bad. Dont take the road via Gonibeedu to Channarayapatna which is again bad. Alternately travel to Belur from Mudigere via Gendehalli which is good - though single way - and scenes are awesome.
The road from Aldur to Mudigere has been relaid and is beautiful to drive on (atleast till KM Road).

Gonibeedu-Channarayapatna road? I think you meant to say Gonibeedu-Cheeknalli road, right?

The Mudigere-Gendehalli-Belur road too has gone bad now. It has broken down in quite a few places. It is manageable compared to the Gonibeedu route though.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 27th December 2011 at 17:25. Reason: Added quote
Old 28th December 2011, 15:23   #29
BHPian

Wanted updates on the Tumkur - Shimoga sector of the NH-206. How is the road condition for a drive in Wagon-R ?

Am thinking to do a BLR-Thirthahalli drive very soon. Saw some people do BLR to Shimoga via chitradurga, Holalkere & Channagiri. I feel this will be a 7 hr drive. (BLR to Shimoga).

Opinions/suggestions/comments are most welcome !!
Old 29th December 2011, 06:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Wanted updates on the Tumkur - Shimoga sector of the NH-206. How is the road condition for a drive in Wagon-R ?

Am thinking to do a BLR-Thirthahalli drive very soon. Saw some people do BLR to Shimoga via chitradurga, Holalkere & Channagiri. I feel this will be a 7 hr drive. (BLR to Shimoga).

Opinions/suggestions/comments are most welcome !!
Rajesh,
My Brother in law drove on Tumkur - Arsikere route and he confimrs that road condition is good as most parts are repaired relaid except the few KMs around Tiptur. He drove Alto. Hence you can go ahead on this route. Why don't you explore both route Via Chitradurga and Arsikere for a change . Go by one and return by other.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks