Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 16:55   #601

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilsharma208 View Post
Thanks for the update. As i will be starting from Bangalore at around 9-10 PM so will only reach that area early in the morning so i hope it should be fine right? Have you tried Udumalaipet route early in the morning or night recently?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Early morning is the time when there are normally maximum animal movements. You have to take care, cannot avoid crossing-free time on this road.

Leaving at 10 pm from Bangalore, you can cross Salem by 1-2 am, reach Udumalaipet by 4-5 am & be crossing the forest area before 7 am.
Which route will you suggest for my trip schedule? Udumalaipet route? or Theni route? On Theni route till dindigul it's NH7 so road should be good. how are the road conditions after dindigul?
Old 27th February 2013, 16:58   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which route will you suggest for my trip schedule? Udumalaipet route? or Theni route? On Theni route till dindigul it's NH7 so road should be good. how are the road conditions after dindigul?
If you want to play extremely safe, then go via Theni-Bodi medu route, less chances of wildlife crossings.

Road widening still one between Dindigul & Theni, but no problems.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 17:02   #603

Quote:
If you want to play extremely safe, then go via Theni-Bodi medu route, less chances of wildlife crossings.

Road widening still one between Dindigul & Theni, but no problems.
Thanks for your quick response. Will update everyone after completing the trip if i return safely
Old 27th February 2013, 17:18   #604
BHPian

I am planning Munnar - Thekkady - Periyar lake from March 27th to March 31st - and I am in a dilemma. Will it be warm around that time? Would love to go only if there is greenery around and waterfalls are not dry.

Went to Coorg last summer and the Nisarga Dhama was dry - so do not want to have similar disappointment this time around.

I will travel with my wife and kid (8 years) and would like to know places around Munnar which kids like.
Old 27th February 2013, 17:19   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I am planning Munnar - Thekkady - Periyar lake from March 27th to March 31st - and I am in a dilemma. Will it be warm around that time? Would love to go only if there is greenery around and waterfalls are not dry.

Went to Coorg last summer and the Nisarga Dhama was dry - so do not want to have similar disappointment this time around.

I will travel with my wife and kid (8 years) and would like to know places around Munnar which kids like.
Munnar will be cool, but Thekkady will be warm.
Hardly any waterfalls at that time
Old 27th February 2013, 20:02   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Munnar will be cool, but Thekkady will be warm.
Hardly any waterfalls at that time
Just to add to all the info,do not expect any waterfalls as places within Kerala have already begun to experience the usual summer times water shortage and the heat is in full swing.Munnar should be pleasantly warm.Thekkady is going to be super humid.
Old 1st March 2013, 14:58   #607
BHPian

I'm driving to Munnar tomorrow early morning from Bangalore. Planning to take Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Udumalpet-Munnar route. Returning back on Monday afternoon.
I am planning to start at 4am from bangalore and reach munnar for lunch. Will update once I am back from the trip.
Old 4th March 2013, 13:29   #608

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Hi all. I'm back on the forum after much long gap (five months actually!!), mainly because I was busy shifting my base from Chandigarh to Bangalore!! And now being here in Bangalore, I'm eager to check out the places around. Had been to Coorg and Ooty, really liked them. Now i'm planning to do Bangalore-Munnar this weekend on my Swift D, so need your valuable advice/help on the same. Which route is better to go to Munnar from Bangalore? The road frequented by team bhpians or the other one through Coimbatore that I somehow got through google maps. The two routes are: Route 1: Bangalore->Hosur->Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri->Salem->Perundurai->Avanashi->Madattukkulam->Udumalaippettai->Maraiyoor->Munnar Route 2: Bangalore->Kanakpura->Coimbatore->Pollachi->Udumalaippettai(Via NH-209) ->Maraiyoor->Munnar Also what's the likely condtion of the road then, as it will be peak monsoon time? If any other valuable suggestion, plz don't hesitate.
Kanakapura > Chamrajnagar > Sathy > Coimbatore > Pollachi > Marayoor > Munnar... route is pretty scenic. The road is 2 lane throughout and the traffic is pretty heavy, so you will take longer than if you go via Salem. Plus the route is a lot more winding and hilly. If you dont mind a few extra hours of drive take this route. I think it is a little shorter too, not sure how much shorter. You will certainly save on tolls.
If you prefer 4 lane, try either Route 1 or Salem > Dindugul > Theni > Munnar. It is on the Madurai - Cochin NH. Till Dindugul you have 4 lane and i heard that the Theni part is also in process of 4 laning.
Old 14th March 2013, 19:24   #609

[quote=fast_elegance;2967979]

Hi, I am planning for a trip from Bangalore - Munnar during the month of May 2013. Before embarking on the trip, I just wanted a latest update on the route that I plan to take.

I surveyed Googlemaps and I plan to take the route thru Hosur-Krishnagiri-Toppur-Mettur-Bhavani-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Udumalaipettai-Marayoor-Munnar.

Is this route good enough? Can anyone who has travelled recently put up an update please?

Thank you.
Ramesh
Old 14th March 2013, 20:16   #610
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshp View Post
Is this route good enough? Can anyone who has travelled recently put up an update please?
Check the previous few pages. You dont have to go through Mettur.
Regular road via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Munnar.

Instead you can also take the extended NH7 4-lane option.
Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Karur-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Munnar.
Old 14th March 2013, 20:25   #611
BHPian

I did mysore - Munnar and back last week . Udumalaipettai-Marayoor-Munnar is good with less winding roads and condition of road is good . Anamalai and Chinar wildlife sanctuaries fall on this route.
Old 15th March 2013, 09:19   #612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
I did mysore - Munnar and back last week . Udumalaipettai-Marayoor-Munnar is good with less winding roads and condition of road is good . Anamalai and Chinar wildlife sanctuaries fall on this route.
For this very reason, that the views along the Udumalpet road are good, I would suggest that option option to be taken while returning. Take the faster route while going because reaching Munnar is the target.

Since Udumalpet-Munnar is 90km and the views are too good, you will spend more time on this section, stopping and snapping. This can delay your arrival at Munnar and possible by evening. So instead take the other route reach faster.

And then, take the route via Udumalpet when returning. Then you dont have a constraint of time. You can stop at will and snap! Its fine to reach home late . And also its easy to drive in the planes during evening late hours compared to ghats.
Old 18th March 2013, 11:55   #613

Quote:
Thanks for your quick response. Will update everyone after completing the trip if i return safely
Sorry for the late response, i completed my Munnar trip. Everything was great but was upset with the weather conditions. However, on the second day it was cloudy and pretty cool so that made my day but will not recommend Munnar trip in this season.

As far as the route is concerned, i followed route suggested by hvkumar (thanks for the help sir) Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Poopar-Munnar - Amazing route till Dindigul - 130-140 km/hr average speed but after that some widening work going on but still decent road. However, was upset with the last 70 KM ghat section roads were narrow and lot of rough patches actually really bad at few places. Considering the fact that i was traveling through this section early morning wildlife movement was not there so good suggestion by hvkumar.

On the way back followed Munnar-Udumalpet-Dharapuram-Karur-Salem-Bangalore - i think this is the best and shortest route - Roads were in amazing shape throughout, not much traffic decent 120-130 km/hr average speed - will highly recommend this route.

Thanks hvkumar sir for last minute help with my trip.
sahilsharma208 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 15:05   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late response, i completed my Munnar trip. Everything was great but was upset with the weather conditions. However, on the second day it was cloudy and pretty cool so that made my day but will not recommend Munnar trip in this season.

As far as the route is concerned, i followed route suggested by hvkumar (thanks for the help sir) Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Poopar-Munnar - Amazing route till Dindigul - 130-140 km/hr average speed but after that some widening work going on but still decent road. However, was upset with the last 70 KM ghat section roads were narrow and lot of rough patches actually really bad at few places. Considering the fact that i was traveling through this section early morning wildlife movement was not there so good suggestion by hvkumar.

On the way back followed Munnar-Udumalpet-Dharapuram-Karur-Salem-Bangalore - i think this is the best and shortest route - Roads were in amazing shape throughout, not much traffic decent 120-130 km/hr average speed - will highly recommend this route.

Thanks hvkumar sir for last minute help with my trip.
What about the weather and why do you not recommend Munnar now? I am asking as I will be travelling from 27th to 31st March to Munnar.
Old 18th March 2013, 15:10   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about the weather and why do you not recommend Munnar now? I am asking as I will be travelling from 27th to 31st March to Munnar.
Well Kerala is seeing the toughest summer since 1984 with temperatures in the plains hovering around 42-43 degrees.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks