Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 15:12   #616

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilsharma208 View Post
Thanks for your quick response. Will update everyone after completing the trip if i return safely
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
What about the weather and why do you not recommend Munnar now? I am asking as I will be travelling from 27th to 31st March to Munnar.

It was pretty hot during the day and during your schedule it will be even bad...I have been to Munnar earlier during monsoon and winters and trust me it looked beautiful during that time but in this season the same beauty looked faded.. Evenings were still pleasant but not worth visiting during this time..I was personally disappointed
Quote:
How about Munnar? I was under the impression it would be cooler - around 25-30 degrees - after reading posts and travel reviews.
Currently, it's varying between 30-35 degrees with hardly any rain....minimum temperature in the night will be around 19-20 degrees
Old 18th March 2013, 15:15   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Well Kerala is seeing the toughest summer since 1984 with temperatures in the plains hovering around 42-43 degrees.
How about Munnar? I was under the impression it would be cooler - around 25-30 degrees - after reading posts and travel reviews.
Old 18th March 2013, 15:30   #618
BHPian

Quote:
What about the weather and why do you not recommend Munnar now? I am asking as I will be travelling from 27th to 31st March to Munnar.

I did Munnar last week and there was nothing to feel pleasent. Even though 4:00 PM onwards temp comes down and you do feel the cold but that's it. No rains and no waterfalls.

Noons are hot and visiting places may get tiresome.

Thanks!
Old 18th March 2013, 16:01   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its terribly hot this year round in Kerala.
Old 4th April 2013, 13:28   #620
BHPian

Completed the Munnar trip from March 27th to March 31st. For onward journey, I took Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi route (551 kms). While returning I took Udumalaipet-Dharapuram-Karur-Salem-Hosur-Bangalore route (499 kms).

The onward route would have been 531 kms, if not for the closed "highway" after Pooppara. I had to take Adimali route to reach Munnar.

- It rained on 29th - so weather was relatively cool.
- No water in waterfalls. Attukal waterfalls was almost dry. Did not bother to visit other waterfalls.
- It was cooler on the hills - Top station and estates. In fact need jackets / sweaters. Not so in the places with lower altitude like Munnar town.
- Eravikulam national park is closed.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 15:28   #621
BHPian

Fellow Team BHPians, i am planning to travel to Club Mahindra, Munnar from Bangalore. From the previous posts, it appears that the best route for me would be Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Poopara - Suryanelli- CM resort. Am i correct in my deduction? Also are there any restrictions on carrying anything into TN and KL? I remember reading that at check posts, there were searches conducted inside the vehicles? Not sure for what? Is it that one is not supposed to carry Liquor etc?

As i plan to leave at 5 from JP Nagar, i would like to know if there are any decent places for Lunch around 12:30 to 1:30 with clean washrooms? Will be traveling with Wife and two kids.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Old 19th April 2013, 15:37   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Fellow Team BHPians, i am planning to travel to Club Mahindra, Munnar from Bangalore. From the previous posts, it appears that the best route for me would be Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Poopara - Suryanelli- CM resort. Am i correct in my deduction? Also are there any restrictions on carrying anything into TN and KL? I remember reading that at check posts, there were searches conducted inside the vehicles? Not sure for what? Is it that one is not supposed to carry Liquor etc?

As i plan to leave at 5 from JP Nagar, i would like to know if there are any decent places for Lunch around 12:30 to 1:30 with clean washrooms? Will be traveling with Wife and two kids.

No, there is a mistake in your routing. You do not have to go to Suryanelli, but from Poopara to Chinnakanal / CM directly.

Searches are being conducted in KA due to forthcoming elections. No checks anywhere else.

After Salem, there are hardly any prominent eating places on the highway.
Old 19th April 2013, 15:43   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No, there is a mistake in your routing. You do not have to go to Suryanelli, but from Poopara to Chinnakanal / CM directly.

Searches are being conducted in KA due to forthcoming elections. No checks anywhere else.

After Salem, there are hardly any prominent eating places on the highway.
HVK, Thanks for the correction on the route and the other information about the search (takes a load of my mind).

Google maps also shows a route avoiding poopara and going through a place called B L Ram and then onto Chinnakanal. Would you know if it is advisable to take this route?

Thanks again for the very fast reply.
Old 19th April 2013, 15:52   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HVK, Thanks for the correction on the route and the other information about the search (takes a load of my mind).

Google maps also shows a route avoiding poopara and going through a place called B L Ram and then onto Chinnakanal. Would you know if it is advisable to take this route?

Thanks again for the very fast reply.
You must be referring to the Bodimedu-Suryanelli-Chinnakanal road, that is always bad & not meant for 2WD vehicles.
Stick to the Bodimedu-Poopara-Chinnakanal route which is NH49 and excellent road all the way.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 16:03   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You must be referring to the Bodimedu-Suryanelli-Chinnakanal road, that is always bad & not meant for 2WD vehicles.
Stick to the Bodimedu-Poopara-Chinnakanal route which is NH49 and excellent road all the way.
Great, i will heed to your advice! Bodimedu-Poopara-Chinnakanal will be the route. Driving at a steady speed (Wifey doesn't like going over 110 km/hr) of 100, and starting from Bangalore at 5 in the morning, do you think it will be possible to reach CM by 2 - 2:30 PM?
Old 19th April 2013, 16:06   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great, i will heed to your advice! Bodimedu-Poopara-Chinnakanal will be the route. Driving at a steady speed (Wifey doesn't like going over 110 km/hr) of 100, and starting from Bangalore at 5 in the morning, do you think it will be possible to reach CM by 2 - 2:30 PM?
3-4 hours to Salem.
3 hours to Theni
2 more from there.
Yes, 2 pm is a realistic target time.
Old 19th April 2013, 17:51   #627
BHPian

Quote:

There is one place at Dindigul on the right when going towards Kodai Road called as Food Fort. That place is nice. They serve some amazing Dindigul biryani We have already had twice here.
Old 19th April 2013, 18:13   #628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Meenakshi Bhavan at Theni would be a good place to break for lunch.
The other place (more upmarket) is Western Gatz.

http://www.westerngatz.com
Old 19th April 2013, 18:43   #629
BHPian

Dear Ampere, Floyd, Thanks for the inputs. Based on the time and the location, we will make the call on either Western Gatz or Food Fort.

@ HVK, Thanks for the inputs on the route.
Old 19th April 2013, 21:00   #630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Meenakshi Bhavan at Theni would be a good place to break for lunch.
The other place (more upmarket) is Western Gatz.

http://www.westerngatz.com
I second what Ampere said. The Meenakshi bhavan is quite good. Take the life to the first floor to chill off in the AC. This hotel is right adjacent to BPCL bunk so your hunger and the car's hunger can be taken care off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks