Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2018, 17:00   #1231
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Any clue whether the udumalpettu-munnar road is open and can be done in a sedan ? The approach road to periyavara bridge was damaged in the recent floods.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 4th September 2018 at 17:08.
Old 4th September 2018, 19:01   #1232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Any clue whether the udumalpettu-munnar road is open and can be done in a sedan ? The approach road to periyavara bridge was damaged in the recent floods.
Its not just about the road itself. But more importantly the place too. Please do find out more on that aspect as well. (In case you are planning to go.)
Old 10th September 2018, 10:16   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Was watching Asianet news this morning. The news clip showed an SETC bus. The 'road' has been made commutable but its basically only mud leveled at most places. 3 months was the timeline quoted to tar it completely and attend to the minor damages to some of the short bridges.
Old 3rd October 2018, 20:19   #1234
Senior - BHPian

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...mpression=true

Please avoid travel to Munnar over the weekend.
Old 24th October 2018, 15:03   #1235
BHPian

Any update on Bangalore to Munnar road condition. I am planning to travel to Munnar on 01Nov.
Old 8th November 2018, 20:43   #1236
BHPian

Some interesting information that I came across for route options with places to visit.

http://traveltwosome.com/bangalore-m...ep-step-guide/
rakirank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 18:44   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Landslides reported on roads around Munnar from cyclone Gaja. Please plan accordingly. https://english.manoramaonline.com/n...a-cyclone.html
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 17:20   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Looking for recent update on Munnar, Marayoor Udumelpet road after cyclone Gaja and recent rains. Few of my friends are travelling during 1st week of Dec.
Old 27th November 2018, 17:32   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Looking for recent update on Munnar, Marayoor Udumelpet road after cyclone Gaja and recent rains. Few of my friends are travelling during 1st week of Dec.
Went to Munnar two weeks back and took the Theni route. Roads were motorable. Repair work going on swiftly at many places. The Udumalpet route would be in similar condition. Still, call the hotel and check for latest updates.
varunanb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 17:37   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
Went to Munnar two weeks back and took the Theni route. Roads were motorable. Repair work going on swiftly at many places. The Udumalpet route would be in similar condition. Still, call the hotel and check for latest updates.
I have done Udumel stretch in last week of October, and it was fine except for the rough surface in few places. I am worried about the damage done by rains during last one week.
Old 2nd December 2018, 14:33   #1241
BHPian

Guys,

I'm planning to visit Munnar during new year time. Whats the best route to take? Are all attractions around munnar accessible? (top Station, eravikulam park, anamudi etc)

Thanks,
Ryuu

Last edited by Ryuu : 2nd December 2018 at 14:37.
Old 2nd December 2018, 21:59   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Guys,

I'm planning to visit Munnar during new year time. Whats the best route to take? Are all attractions around munnar accessible? (top Station, eravikulam park, anamudi etc)

Thanks,
Ryuu
Hey Ryuu, Hope you had gone through this thread at least last few pages to know latest status, as the best route was discussed several times even after Kerala floods. Not sure what you meant as all attractions around munnar are accessible? The answer is, yes they are.

-Ravi
Old 3rd December 2018, 23:04   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Hey Ryuu, Hope you had gone through this thread at least last few pages to know latest status, as the best route was discussed several times even after Kerala floods. Not sure what you meant as all attractions around munnar are accessible? The answer is, yes they are.

-Ravi
Ahh. Sorry. My bad. I meant to ask about the road conditions after the recent cyclone gaja. I had edited that part out by mistake.
Ryuu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 00:19   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Ahh. Sorry. My bad. I meant to ask about the road conditions after the recent cyclone gaja. I had edited that part out by mistake.
Hi Ryuu, I had my colleague who drove to Munnar last weekend. He said there was a broken bridge in the Udumalpet - Munnar approach after cyclone Gaja and hence they were asked to take a detour near Gundumalai which was a very narrow road and treacherous drive and they really struggled to cross it when vehicles come in the opposite direction.

During return, he had taken the Munnar -Theni route which was good all the way. Check if the bridge repair is done prior to your visit in the next 20 days. If you dont have clear information, please avoid the Udumalpet - Munnar route through Chinnar wildlife sanctuary. Once you reach Munnar, all local attractions are accessible.

Last edited by gopikb : 4th December 2018 at 00:21.
gopikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 17:15   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Hi Ryuu, I had my colleague who drove to Munnar last weekend. He said there was a broken bridge in the Udumalpet - Munnar approach after cyclone Gaja and hence they were asked to take a detour near Gundumalai which was a very narrow road and treacherous drive and they really struggled to cross it when vehicles come in the opposite direction.

During return, he had taken the Munnar -Theni route which was good all the way. Check if the bridge repair is done prior to your visit in the next 20 days. If you dont have clear information, please avoid the Udumalpet - Munnar route through Chinnar wildlife sanctuary. Once you reach Munnar, all local attractions are accessible.
Thank you very much for the information

Since you mentioned a detour near Gundumalai, isn't that after Marayoor when you're going from Bangalore?

Anyway, I got in touch with my host. My hotel is at Marayoor. He confirms that the bridge collapse after Marayoor has been fixed.

Interested may confirm from their sources and proceed.

Best,
Ryuu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks