Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2018, 00:12   #1186
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,836
Thanked: 10,726 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Great, thank you so much. How much time did it take? Would starting around 5:00am from Whitefield be okay to reach Munnar by Lunch time?
If you are not heading out on a long weekend, I would suggest to stick the regular exit rather than Sarjapur Bagalur. There are quite many rumble strips on that stretch, and I hope you can spot them early morning.

As regard to time to covering the whole distance, either way I would suggest you start by 4. You should be able to make it by noon and not lunch.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 01:09   #1187
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 375
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are not heading out on a long weekend, I would suggest to stick the regular exit rather than Sarjapur Bagalur. There are quite many rumble strips on that stretch, and I hope you can spot them early morning.

As regard to time to covering the whole distance, either way I would suggest you start by 4. You should be able to make it by noon and not lunch.
We would be starting on a Saturday and it is a long weekend. However, I am aware of that route as I sometimes use it to travel to office in Electronic City from Whitefield. Also, I guess being a scorpio will help. Thanks for the tip on timing, that is one thing which is worrying me. We are planning to be well settled on the road by 5:00am.

MaSh
mashmash is offline  
Old 4th March 2018, 08:13   #1188
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 856
Thanked: 411 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
We would be starting on a Saturday and it is a long weekend. However, I am aware of that route as I sometimes use it to travel to office in Electronic City from Whitefield. Also, I guess being a scorpio will help. Thanks for the tip on timing, that is one thing which is worrying me. We are planning to be well settled on the road by 5:00am.

MaSh
Yes sure, scorpio will help overcoming these big ones. I traveled in Ertiga last December but still it got scratched once on one big speed breaker near Bagalur. But scorpio is way taller and you are good to go. Attibele becomes a nightmare as pointed out, especially over long weekends.

Coming to timing, it will take around 11 hours with one or two breaks and calm and comfortable driving. Few point to note though. While going to Munnar, at TN and KL border check post you might be stopped and asked to make entries in books. Now it is just an excuse to get money from you and no documents will be checked except entering license number and vehicle number. At TN side the officer asked just pay as per your wish, however, at KL side, he asked for Rs. 50/-. These posts are just a few KMs apart. I paid Rs. 50/- at both posts to avoid any fuss. Just FYI since this is not so common scene now-a-days when you travel over NH. They did not ask to stop while returning though. Bit strange but worth noting.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 4th March 2018 at 08:28.
rajivtelang is offline  
Old 4th March 2018, 12:04   #1189
BHPian
 
bijuks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 194
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Hi,

I am planning to do Bangalore to Munnar in the first week of May. Is this the preffered route: https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/12...d10.039693!3e0. I would be starting for Whitefield and intend to start early morning. By what time should we expect to be in Munnar, considering one stop for Lunch en-route?

MaSh
Double check the road condition of Bodimettu - Chinnakkanal road. You can enquire once you reach at the border - Bodimettu - once you cross Tamil Nadu checkpost. There will be tea shops and many vehicles stopped at Bodimettu.

If there are any issues, take the Pooppara -> Chinnakkanal route. That is good paved road.
bijuks is offline  
Old 4th March 2018, 23:42   #1190
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,188
Thanked: 1,155 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post

Coming to timing, it will take around 11 hours with one or two breaks and calm and comfortable driving. Few point to note though. While going to Munnar, at TN and KL border check post you might be stopped and asked to make entries in books. Now it is just an excuse to get money from you and no documents will be checked except entering license number and vehicle number. At TN side the officer asked just pay as per your wish, however, at KL side, he asked for Rs. 50/-. These posts are just a few KMs apart. I paid Rs. 50/- at both posts to avoid any fuss. Just FYI since this is not so common scene now-a-days when you travel over NH. They did not ask to stop while returning though. Bit strange but worth noting.
+1 This is true.
I drove from Bangalore to Munnary on 10-Feb-2018 via Udumalaipet, Chinnar/Marayoor route. I was stopped at border check posts 3 times. Twice in TN and once in KL. Agree that this is only to get some tips unofficially. I paid 20 bucks in TN side but nothing in KL side.

-Ravi
ravib is offline  
Old 8th March 2018, 21:15   #1191
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 375
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Double check the road condition of Bodimettu - Chinnakkanal road. You can enquire once you reach at the border - Bodimettu - once you cross Tamil Nadu checkpost.
Oh Okay. Thank You. Have made a note of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Coming to timing, it will take around 11 hours with one or two breaks and calm and comfortable driving.
Yes it would be a sedate drive with one or two stops at max.
Thank You for mentioning this. Will keep some change ready. Are these border checkposts or something else?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
+1 This is true.
I drove from Bangalore to Munnary on 10-Feb-2018 via Udumalaipet, Chinnar/Marayoor route.
Yes this route was on my radar however, the resort that we are going to is at the other end and Google is suggesting the route that I mentioned above.

MaSh

Last edited by ampere : 16th March 2018 at 08:00. Reason: Compacted the post; trimmed quoted posts
mashmash is offline  
Old 14th March 2018, 21:58   #1192
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

BHPians, Any tips on which month would be the best to visit Munnar to witness the Neelakurinji bloom? Some websites say June to Sep, some say Aug to Oct.

Any tips/leads on which part of Munnar to stay, would also be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Vinoth
VinothAJ is offline  
Old 19th March 2018, 12:13   #1193
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,188
Thanked: 1,155 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinothAJ View Post
BHPians, Any tips on which month would be the best to visit Munnar to witness the Neelakurinji bloom? Some websites say June to Sep, some say Aug to Oct.

Any tips/leads on which part of Munnar to stay, would also be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Vinoth
For Munnar, if it is your first visit and planning for sight seeing, better to stay in town limits itself so that you can do sight seeing in both the directions.
I assume you are not looking for secluded resort to have some "me" time.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 13:03   #1194
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
For Munnar, if it is your first visit and planning for sight seeing, better to stay in town limits itself so that you can do sight seeing in both the directions.
I assume you are not looking for secluded resort to have some "me" time.

-Ravi
Thanks Ravi. Actually been there quite a few times but not sure which part would have the maximum bloom of the Neelakurinji.
VinothAJ is offline  
Old 19th March 2018, 14:37   #1195
Senior - BHPian
 
gadadhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,047
Thanked: 476 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinothAJ View Post
Thanks Ravi. Actually been there quite a few times but not sure which part would have the maximum bloom of the Neelakurinji.
Rajamali should offer an uninterrupted view of the flowers since there are open grasslands and Kurunji plants are abundant here. I had witnessed it in full glory way back in 1995 when the whole mountain was painted blue. Top Station will have also have places where Kurunji blooms. There are other areas, but may not be easily accessible.

Be prepared for a maddening rush during the Kurunji season and make sure you make bookings well in advance. I hear the plans are not to let the vehicles in to Munnar and ferry people in public transport. I am not sure where the parking is planned, but I heard it might be as far as Neriyamangalam while coming on Aluva Munnar road.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 17:21   #1196
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Rajamali should offer an uninterrupted view of the flowers since there are open grasslands and Kurunji plants are abundant here. I had witnessed it in full glory way back in 1995 when the whole mountain was painted blue. Top Station will have also have places where Kurunji blooms. There are other areas, but may not be easily accessible.

Be prepared for a maddening rush during the Kurunji season and make sure you make bookings well in advance. I hear the plans are not to let the vehicles in to Munnar and ferry people in public transport. I am not sure where the parking is planned, but I heard it might be as far as Neriyamangalam while coming on Aluva Munnar road.
Woah! That's something to take note of. I'm planning to visit in the first week of September on weekdays, probably stay there for 2-3 nights. They should be allowing vehicles in if we've made room bookings right? Hopefully..
VinothAJ is offline  
Old 19th March 2018, 17:42   #1197
Senior - BHPian
 
gadadhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,047
Thanked: 476 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinothAJ View Post
Woah! That's something to take note of. I'm planning to visit in the first week of September on weekdays, probably stay there for 2-3 nights. They should be allowing vehicles in if we've made room bookings right? Hopefully..
This is what I heard from the local crowd when I was in Munnar last month , but there is no official version of this till now. I won't be surprised if private vehicles get banned in the hills during the season since there was uncontrollable traffic and lot of related issues during the last season.
gadadhar is offline  
Old 20th March 2018, 20:24   #1198
BHPian
 
ankan.m.blr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 717
Thanked: 727 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Hi Team BHPians, need your guidance on route to Munnar from Bangalore. I am travelling to Deep Woods Resort, Munnar (http://www.deepwoodsmunnar.com/) from Bangalore on first weekend of May. Which is the best route in terms of road condition for a hatchback?
GMaps, by default is showing this : Bangalore - Salem - Bhavani - Avinashi - Udumalpet - Marayoor - Munnar - Deep Woods resort.

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-munnar-route01.jpg

There are 2 more options :

1. Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Didndigul - Batlagundu - Periyakulam - Theni - Bodinayakanur - Munthal - Chinnakanal - Munnar - Deep Woods resort

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-munnar-route02.jpg

2. Bangalore - Kanakpura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagar - Avinashi - Gudimangalam - Marayoor - Munnar - Deep Woods forest

Name:  Munnar route03.JPG
Views: 1256
Size:  69.3 KB

I'll be travelling with my 2 yr old son, Wife and sister-in-law. Plan is to start at midnight and reach around lunch next day. Please mention family-friendly places to stop for food & restroom at night and in the daytime too.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 20th March 2018 at 20:41.
ankan.m.blr is offline  
Old 20th March 2018, 20:56   #1199
Senior - BHPian
 
Arjun Reddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,451
Thanked: 2,695 Times
Default Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I'll be travelling with my 2 yr old son, Wife and sister-in-law. Plan is to start at midnight and reach around lunch next day. Please mention family-friendly places to stop for food & restroom at night and in the daytime too.

I have driven the route via Salem- Dindigul. The roads are fantastic and will probably be the quickest to Munnar.

I would strongly advice you against a midnight start. It is just not safe with a 2 year old and the women, if you have a breakdown.

Try an early morning start. I have stated to Munnar at 6 am and reached Club Mahindra Chinakal at 2:30pm.

If starting early morning, good breakfast at Sarvanan Bhavan at Salem. Lunch could be at Dindigul Thalapakatti at Theni. Both serve extremely good food and are very clean.

Not sure of the places that are open at night.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 20th March 2018 at 21:02.
Arjun Reddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 21:48   #1200
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,836
Thanked: 10,726 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
There are 2 more options :

1. Bangalore - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Didndigul - Batlagundu - Periyakulam - Theni - Bodinayakanur - Munthal - Chinnakanal - Munnar - Deep Woods resort

2. Bangalore - Kanakpura - Malavalli - Kollegal - Chamrajanagar - Avinashi - Gudimangalam - Marayoor - Munnar - Deep Woods forest
Dont take the Kanakpura option for long drives and that too when you would have to do more than one ghats. Go with Salem-Avinashi-Palladam-Udumalpet-Munnar-Resort.
Since your resort is closer to Munnar town, Chinnakanal option via Dindgul/Theni may not be a better option.

If you start by 4, you can make to Avinashi by 8:30/9; Udumalpet by 10:30/11 and 2/2:30 to the resort. Account for 3 hours from Udumalpet to Munnar.

Last edited by ampere : 20th March 2018 at 21:49.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks