Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2016, 23:12   #1066
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Nearly 24 hours of single man driving? That's quite a feat. Any special preperations or tricks of the trade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
That's a good feat indeed. By not exceeding speeds beyond 100 kmph, you would have experienced less fatigue, ability to drive longer, better control of the vehicle and finally better fuel efficiency.
Going consistently at say 90 kmph will help a driver in reaching his/her destination safely. Highly commendable job on your part.
Tricks? . As Suresh mentioned, never do high speeds on a long journey. I just loved driving for long hours.

Last edited by JoseVijay : 21st October 2016 at 23:13.
JoseVijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 11:56   #1067
BHPian

Hello All,

I am visiting Munnar during last week of Dec with my family (Including kids) and will be driving from Bangalore to Munnar. I am planning to start at midnight on 25th Dec so that I can reach Munnar latest by 26th Dec afternoon. We are staying in Chandy Windy's wood. I am planning to take below mention route, I am requesting members to suggest if this is the right route or is there any other routes to take. Also, I am hoping that there is no issue in travelling in KA registered car in TN at this point of time.

Route:-

Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Erode-Perrumdurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipettai-Marayoor-Munnar.

Any suggestion or advice will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Ghosh
Old 13th December 2016, 13:08   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghosh80 View Post
Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Erode-Perrumdurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipettai-Marayoor-Munnar.

You are spot on with the route except that Erode does not come into the picture.

Last edited by ampere : 13th December 2016 at 13:09. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 13:46   #1069
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This route is fine, as Suresh_gs mentioned, no Erode in this route.

Basically you hit Hosur Road (NH 7, now NH 44) and proceed till Salem.
At Salem, you turn off towards the Coimbatore direction onto NH 47 (now NH 544).
On the Perundurai bypass, turn off to left towards Perundurai town and then head towards Kangeyam, then follow the route to Munnar.

Alternative route is to take Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi (continue past Perundurai towards Coimbatore till Avinashi bypass), then follow signage to Palladam (goes via Mangalam). Then, you can take the Udumalaipet-Marayaoor-Munnar route. With this routing, you get more 4 laned roads upto Avinashi bypass.

*Both routes above will get you to Munnar town.

Where are you staying at Munnar ? If you're staying closer to Chinnakanal (Sterling/Club Mahindra, etc), it will be better to take Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Theni-Bodi-Munnar.
On this route 4 laned roads upto Dindigul.

Last edited by NPV : 13th December 2016 at 13:47.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 14:15   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to start at midnight on 25th Dec so that I can reach Munnar latest by 26th Dec afternoon.
I don't understand why you should leave Bangalore at midnight, to reach Munnar the following afternoon. You can do Munnar in 7 hours, including one or two breaks. If you leave Bangalore by 5 AM, you can easily reach Munnar by 1 PM, through the Dindgul, Theni route.

Last edited by ampere : 13th December 2016 at 14:34. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 13th December 2016, 14:32   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

First of all no issues if you take your KA car in TN. As regards the route, since flyover near Salem is in progress, I would suggest an alternate route

Via Hosur, Krishnaagiri, Thoppur, Omalur, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri, Erode, Kangeyam, Dharapuram and Udumalaipet to Munnar.

Last edited by ampere : 13th December 2016 at 14:34. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 16:22   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This route is fine, as Suresh_gs mentioned, no Erode in this route.
Thanks a ton NPV. I think I can take up this Avinashi route instead of the route which I had mentioned, hope both the routes are having good driving condition?

I am staying in 'Chandy Windys Resort' which is at Pallivasal, 2nd Mile, Meencut P.O. In the google map it is showing more distance through Dindigul-Theni route however not sure on the drive condition. According to my understanding from Chinnakanal this particular resort is situated approx. 30 KMs far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
I don't understand why you should leave Bangalore at midnight, to reach Munnar the following afternoon. You can do Munnar in 7 hours, including one or two breaks. If you leave Bangalore by 5 AM, you can easily reach Munnar by 1 PM, through the Dindgul, Theni route.
Thank you Narayan. None of us in the family are early morning riser and hence thought that instead of starting early morning (We have great probabilities to miss waking up between 4-6 AM), let us start during or post midnight and with multiple breaks/kids I have kept the driving hours as 9-10 hours. Expecting to reach Munnar around 11 AM, check in (Privilege to have early check-in) and take nap. And start sight-seeing from evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
First of all no issues if you take your KA car in TN. As regards the route, since flyover near Salem is in progress, I would suggest an alternate route

Via Hosur, Krishnaagiri, Thoppur, Omalur, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri, Erode, Kangeyam, Dharapuram and Udumalaipet to Munnar.
Thank you Suresh for all your suggestions and confirmation. I will surely consider this alternative route. Now I have a question, even if I cross Salem during very early morning, whether I will still have problem with the traffic because of the construction work for Salem flyover? Or is their any other reason for suggesting this alternative route?

Regards,
Ghosh

Last edited by ampere : 14th December 2016 at 23:17.
Old 13th December 2016, 17:27   #1073
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am staying in 'Chandy Windys Resort' which is at Pallivasal, 2nd Mile, Meencut P.O. In the google map it is showing more distance through Dindigul-Theni route however not sure on the drive condition. According to my understanding from Chinnakanal this particular resort is situated approx. 30 KMs far.
Since your destination is at Pallivasal you can go via Chinnakanal/Poopara side instead of Marayoor-Munnar town. Don't bother about the 30Km extra, you will make up for that in terms of time.
Road conditions are excellent from Bangalore to Dindigul (completely on NH 7/new NH 44). Once you turn off towards Bathlagundu, again road is excellent till Theni and beyond. Roads narrow down only after Bodi ghats, nothing to worry. You can take a break at Theni (Western Gatz if you need lodging facilities or Meenakshi Bhavan if it's only food) and then proceed towards Bodi and Poopara and then Pallivasal.

Do check with the resort/home stay as well on their recommended route.

Quote:
Now I have a question, even if I cross Salem during very early morning, whether I will still have problem with the traffic because of the construction work for Salem flyover? Or is their any other reason for suggesting this alternative route?
The flyover construction in Salem can be painful during peak hours like 8-11am and then 5-8pm, during other times it should be easy to cross Salem. With your proposed start time, I don't think it will be an issue at all, so don't bother with detours via Omalur-Tharamangalam, etc

On your start time - if you start around 1am, you should be able to reach Theni around 8am and your final destination around 10-11am. However, I don't think you will be able to much of sight-seeing that evening since all the tourist spots are beyond Munnar town which is easily more than an hour away, so better to plan an early start the next day and cover all the places and return to Pallivasal by evening. You can visit Echo Point, Matupetty Dam, Kundale Dam, Top Station and return to Pallivasal via Munnar Town where you can stroll around/shop for Tea and spices.
On your return leg, consider taking the Marayoor route so that you can visit the Eravikulam National park en route.

Last edited by NPV : 13th December 2016 at 17:34.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 15:45   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Since your destination is at Pallivasal you can go via Chinnakanal/Poopara side instead of Marayoor-Munnar town.
Thanks a ton NPV, I am really so happy to get guidance and support from all of you, it is a privilege to be part of this community. I will take this Dindigul-Theni route to reach my destination.

Quote:
The flyover construction in Salem can be painful during peak hours like 8-11am and then 5-8pm, during other times it should be easy to cross Salem.
Thanks for confirming the same.

Quote:
On your start time - if you start around 1am, you should be able to reach Theni around 8am and your final destination around 10-11am.
Thanks once again for all these suggestions. Surely, I am going to keep all these in mind and follow. On my return leg, I am actually going to Alleppey from Munnar on 30th morning and will stay in boathouse till 31st morning and afterwards I will start for Bangalore. Not yet decided on the route however again any suggestion will be appreciated.

Last edited by ampere : 14th December 2016 at 23:18.
Old 14th December 2016, 16:55   #1075
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On my return leg, I am actually going to Alleppey from Munnar on 30th morning and will stay in boathouse till 31st morning and afterwards I will start for Bangalore. Not yet decided on the route however again any suggestion will be appreciated.
You can take the Munnar-Cochin-Allepey route:
Map Link
Old 14th December 2016, 21:33   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
You can take the Munnar-Cochin-Allepey route:
Map Link
Thank you NPV and all for your suggestions. This visit might lead to my first travelogue in this forum, will keep all of you posted. Thanks once again.
dghosh80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 16:28   #1077
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

I've planned my year end vacation to Kerala this year with my family and will be visiting Munnar, Thekkdy and Alleppy. All the Bookings being done and this is how my itinerary looks like.

23rd Dec: Start from Bangalore at 3 PM and Night halt somewhere in Tiruppur or Avinashi or Erode.
24th Dec: Drive to Munnar
25th Dec: Sight seeing In Munnar
26th Dec: Sight Seeing In Munnar
27th Dec: Checkout from Munnar and drive to Thekkdy
28th Dec: Drive to Alleppy from Thekkdy
29th Dec: Stay in Alleppy
30th Dec: Head back to Bangalore

Now I am at the final stage of planning where I need some help. I'll be starting from Bangalore on 23rd December around 3 PM and planning to take the below route to Munnar.

Bangalore - Salem - Avinashi - Palladam - Udumalaipet - Marayoor - Munnar

However I am looking for a night stay on my way and very much confused between Avinashi, Tirrupur or Erode considering the above route. Basically I want to have maximum of 5 hours of drive on the first day and to checkin in to a hotel which should not detour far from my route. So please suggest the ideal place for my stop over and also if possible any good hotel in that place.

Also while coming back (Alleppy to Bangalore) , I also have the option to take one more stop over (Pollachi) and thought of the below route. Ref : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ruti-eeco.html

Alleppy - Kochi - Ezhattumugham - Athirapally - vazhachal - Malakkappara - Pollachi - Bangalore

On this route, I would be able to visit the famous Athirapally water fall and the jungle roads. But not very sure how safe will be this road with family on board. So please share your opinion on this route.
Old 16th December 2016, 12:31   #1078
BHPian

The Alleppy - Kochi - Ezhattumugham - Athirapally - vazhachal - Malakkappara - Pollachi - Bangalore is quite safe eventhough the road between Vazhachal and Malkkappara is through the forest. You need to enter vehicle details at Vazhachal and take a receipt from the Forest dept checkpost and will be required to surrender the receipt on exit. However, this portion of the journey should not be done in the late afternoon, as the road is narrow, but good and you may not see much traffic. It is very scenic and you may see wild animals (foxes, deer, elephants, giant squirrel etc) on this route. Watch out for elephants and be especially careful when taking the hairpin curves. Waterfall estate bungalows (Valley view, Tennis court and Indraprastha) are wonderfull places to stay overnight. Booking done through their website.
Drive safe.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 15:48   #1079
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
However I am looking for a night stay on my way and very much confused between Avinashi, Tirrupur or Erode considering the above route. Basically I want to have maximum of 5 hours of drive on the first day and to checkin in to a hotel which should not detour far from my route. So please suggest the ideal place for my stop over and also if possible any good hotel in that place.
Hotels in Tiruppur and Erode will need deviations away from the NH 47 (new NH 544) so you can consider one of these bang on NH 47:
1. KPN Plaza, Salem (beside the Bharat Petroleum campus that also has A2B and Polar Bear). Left side when going from Bangalore towards Avinashi.

2. Travellers Inn (inside NHAI amenity complex, just before Vaigundam toll, this is run by the owners of Sree Saravana Bhavan that is on ground floor). Left side when going from Bangalore towards Avinashi.

3. Sri Saai Stay Inn (in the same building as Saravana Bhavan Classic), Sankari bypass. Right side when going from Bangalore towards Avinashi.
*These are about 20km apart from each other, so roughly 200, 220 and 240Km from Bangalore

4. Srinivasa Inn (in the same building as Anandha Bhavan), Chengapalli. Right side when going from Bangalore towards Avinashi.
*This should be about 300Km from Bangalore or about 20Km before Avinashi. I think this one will be ideal and next day you can continue after making a U-turn to go towards the Mangalam turn off (look for Palladam signage).

Also look at these earlier posts:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4021802
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4022686
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 19:17   #1080
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Forgot to respond to this part in my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
Alleppy - Kochi - Ezhattumugham - Athirapally - vazhachal - Malakkappara - Pollachi - Bangalore

On this route, I would be able to visit the famous Athirapally water fall and the jungle roads. But not very sure how safe will be this road with family on board. So please share your opinion on this route.
The road is fine, from Kochi you will reach the Chalakudy-Athirapally road near the water park (Silver Storm I think). From here you can visit Athirapally, Vazhachal falls (keep about 3 hours or more for this).

Start early and plan accordingly. Try to start from Vazhachal at least by 1pm so that you can cross Malakkapara checkpost before dusk, after 6pm they may let you pass only if you have a booking at some of the estates in Valparai. Road through the forest is good, but no facilities and it will be scenic.
You will ascend the hills, reach Valparai and then descend towards Aaliyar and Pollachi. It may be quite tiring by the time you reach Pollachi, so you may want to consider an overnight halt at Valparai in one of the estate bungalows.

Last edited by NPV : 16th December 2016 at 19:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks