Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2015, 13:11   #916
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont know much. I just saw in Google that the turning to this road was beyond Chinnakanal on NH49. Hence I thought Theni would be a better option.
Yes, there are quite a few roads from the Chinnakanal side also that lead to Bison Valley. But the road generally referred to as the "Bison Valley Road" is the one that branches off from highway near the Headworks dam (on the Munnar-Adimali section of NH49). My comments were with the assumption that the OP's destination is somewhere on this road.
Old 16th April 2015, 15:22   #917
Senior - BHPian

Hi all
My friend will be travelling to Munnar next week. He will be driving to Munnar by car with his family (wife and kid).

I need to know the hotels that are good for accommodation. Budget should be around 1.5k-2k / day.

How are the road conditions from Udumalaipet to Munnar??
Old 16th April 2015, 19:21   #918
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
How are the road conditions from Udumalaipet to Munnar??
This road is good, except for a small stretch in the Chinnar forest section which is a little rough and narrow.
No idea about budget hotels.
Old 2nd May 2015, 13:23   #919
BHPian

Bangalore to Munnar - Which Route?

Just came back from a trip to munnar.
While going from bangalore took the Theni route to Munnar and while returning took the Udumalpet - Palladam- Avinashi - Salem route.

I found the Udumalpet route relatively easy to drive as compared to the Theni route. Theni route has very narrow stretches where it is difficult to give way to passing vehicles without stopping. I felt that the Udumalpet road is wider so you can drive stress free. However the Theni-Munnar road surface is super smooth all the way. Udumalpet road surface is relatively poorer with lot of tiny potholes scattered all over the road. But once you reach Udumalpet -polladam road the roads become super smooth all the way to bangalore.

So if I go Munnar next time it will be the Udumalpet route.

Last edited by pgupta : 2nd May 2015 at 13:32.
Old 2nd May 2015, 17:25   #920
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
There is a reason I suggested the Theni road

- If your resort is in Chinnakanal, Theni approach can be faster, as you do 20km lesser drive
- Udumalpet option is relatively easier I agree, but its 90km of winding roads + 22 km to Chinnakanal. So you do a longer ghat drive
- Udumalpet option has nice views. You can potentially end up spending more time stopping and taking snaps.
- Because of the previous reason, you can get delayed to reach your place.
- You dont want to get restricted for time just because you want to stop and enjoy the views.
- Hence the reason, I said, take the fastest route to reach the resort. And take scenic route on the way back
- As you are onto planes and you have the option of getting delayed to reach home.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd May 2015 at 17:26.
Old 3rd May 2015, 21:56   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If your place of stay happens to be in the heart of Munnar town, then going via Udumalaipet makes sense.
Old 4th May 2015, 13:44   #922
Senior - BHPian

Just back from a round trip to Thekkady and Munnar.

Returned via Udumalpet and I wouid say this has been one of the best drives in recent times.

Munnar to Udumalpet is just superb and very scenic. We were stuck at the KL/TN border checkpost for some 30 mins because of some idiots who decided they couldn't wait for their turn and ended up creating a jam !

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1430727067.598056.jpg

We didn't stop to click pics as this would have meant blocking one side of the narrow road, but have everything on the DVR

Udumalpet to Erode was also a superb 2 lane road.

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1430727191.312920.jpgBangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-imageuploadedbyteambhp1430727217.059689.jpg

I would recommend this road instead of the boring 4 lanes for anyone driving to Munnar
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 19:10   #923
BHPian

Bangalore to Munnar - Which Route?

Quote:
There is a reason I suggested the Theni road

- If your resort is in Chinnakanal, Theni approach can be faster, as you do 20km lesser drive
- Udumalpet option is relatively easier I agree, but its 90km of winding roads + 22 km to Chinnakanal. So you do a longer ghat drive
- Udumalpet option has nice views. You can potentially end up spending more time stopping and taking snaps.
- Because of the previous reason, you can get delayed to reach your place.
- You dont want to get restricted for time just because you want to stop and enjoy the views.
- Hence the reason, I said, take the fastest route to reach the resort. And take scenic route on the way back
- As you are onto planes and you have the option of getting delayed to reach home.

Absolutely. Your suggestion was very helpful. So for people going first time like me to Munnar, it makes sense to try both the routes. And also if someone is staying at Chinnakanal then the Udumalpet route will be longer.

Last edited by pgupta : 26th May 2015 at 19:26.
Old 26th May 2015, 19:28   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. Your suggestion was very helpful. So for people going first time like me, to Munnar it makes sense to try both the routes. And also if someone is staying at Chinnakanal then the Udumalpet route will be longer.
My friend had been to Munnar recently. For the onward journey he went via Udumalaipet and took the theni route for the return journey.
He said it is easier to drive on the Theni route as against the Udumalaipet road as the roads are very good in the former.
Old 22nd June 2015, 22:15   #925

I am back from a trip to Munnar from Bangalore yesterday - so here's my 2 cents on the road conditions. Incidentally, this is also my first post as my membership request just got accepted in the last few days. I went via Salem - Dindigul - Theni route and returned via Udumalpet - Palladam - Avinashi - Salem route. I was staying on Bison Valley road, around 7 km from Munnar city centre. First of all - both routes are pretty good. Though the distance via Dindigul was longer by around 30 km, this route was slightly faster and definitely easier to drive on according to me. Reason - smoother roads, lesser traffic on NH7. Route via Udumalpet had more diversions due to more small towns between Munnar and Avinashi, reasonable number of potholes on some stretches, and noticeably more traffic (thought that may have been due to the fact that I was returning on a Sunday afternoon). Regarding scenic beauty, the Udumalpet route might be a bit better, but the route via Dindigul is beautiful as well. Also, since the road is smoother, I feel as a driver I enjoyed the scenery better in the Dindigul route.
surajitatha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 02:17   #926

Hi there! I'm planning to make a trip along with my office buddies to Munnar, in the first week of July. We're starting from Chennai (9 people on motorcycles), and i just heard that it is heavily raining in Munnar now. Is there any update regarding road conditions during this time? Is there also a risk of landslides due to rain? Not to forget the ever so bothersome bus/truck drivers! This is my first time in that part of Kerala, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:37   #927
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novocaine View Post
Hi there! I'm planning to make a trip along with my office buddies to Munnar, in the first week of July. We're starting from Chennai (9 people on motorcycles), and i just heard that it is heavily raining in Munnar now. Is there any update regarding road conditions during this time? Is there also a risk of landslides due to rain? Not to forget the ever so bothersome bus/truck drivers!
Since you all would on bikes, I hope you are fine with rain. By the way its not going to be raining. But its going to be pouring! So as such cant expect many places to visit.

As regards to road conditions and route:
- Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Munnar.
- 4-lane till Dindigul, wide 2-lane to Theni.
- Theni-Munnar ghat road is nice but a bit narrow

On the way back just to enjoy the Udumalpet section:
- Munnar-Udumalpet-Palani-Oddanchatram-Dindigul-Trichy-Chennai.
- Munnar-Udumalpet is 90km of winding roads. (but in good conditions)

Last edited by ampere : 23rd June 2015 at 07:38.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:04   #928

Quote:
Since you all would on bikes, I hope you are fine with rain. By the way its not going to be raining. But its going to be pouring! So as such cant expect many places to visit.

As regards to road conditions and route:
- Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Munnar.
- 4-lane till Dindigul, wide 2-lane to Theni.
- Theni-Munnar ghat road is nice but a bit narrow

On the way back just to enjoy the Udumalpet section:
- Munnar-Udumalpet-Palani-Oddanchatram-Dindigul-Trichy-Chennai.
- Munnar-Udumalpet is 90km of winding roads. (but in good conditions)
Sweet! Thanks @ampere. Yeah, i did check with a few locals there over the phone, and it is pouring! Nevertheless, nothing ventured, nothing gained. We've discussed, and will be ok with the rain. Thanks again!
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:13   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novocaine View Post
Sweet! Thanks @ampere. Yeah, i did check with a few locals there over the phone, and it is pouring! Nevertheless, nothing ventured, nothing gained. We've discussed, and will be ok with the rain. Thanks again!
That being the case, i would suggest you to stick to the Theni route as against the Udumalaipet route as the roads in the former are way better compared to the latter.
Moreover traffic will be high on the Udumalaipet route as lot of vehicles ply on this route. So you can expect jams as well.
Wish you safe riding trip to Munnar.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 20:59   #930
BHPian

I'm headed for Munnar on 16th morning. I plan to take the Dindigul - Theni - Chinnakanal - Munnar route as most have suggested this route in the earlier posts.

What's the latest update on this route? Still a good option after the recent heavy rains in Kerala?

I plan to leave by 5 am from JP Nagar. Factoring in a halt for breakfast, what would be the travel time?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks