Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2014, 23:02   #796
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrs5 View Post
Kindly suggest a good hotel in Salem for a night halt. Am traveling with 2 kids ( < 10 yrs). Prefer something around NH7.
You have the following:

Chenneys : 11.675528,78.135991 : www.hotelcenneys.com‎
Grand Estancia : 11.683884,78.125544 : www.grandestancia.com
Park Plaza : 11.691795,78.114928 : www.parkplaza.com

EDIT : All three of them are very close to NH7.

Last edited by ampere : 20th April 2014 at 23:06.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 12:10   #797
BHPian

Re: Bangalore –> Wayanad –> Munnar –> Kodaikanal –> Pondicherry route

Hmmmmm this is just the log that i was looking for. I am also travelling to Munnar on the Aug 15th weekend. I will be travelling in a Toyota Fortuner with my wife and 2 kids (above 12 years). What route would you guys recommend for me? I know that some have already commented that it is a bad idea to go to Munnar during August, but we intend to to just be in the resort and watch the rains. We are booked in Club Mahindra, Munnar.
Old 14th July 2014, 12:38   #798
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore –> Wayanad –> Munnar –> Kodaikanal –> Pondicherry route

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Hmmmmm this is just the log that i was looking for. I am also travelling to Munnar on the Aug 15th weekend. I will be travelling in a Toyota Fortuner with my wife and 2 kids (above 12 years). What route would you guys recommend for me? I know that some have already commented that it is a bad idea to go to Munnar during August, but we intend to to just be in the resort and watch the rains. We are booked in Club Mahindra, Munnar.
See the Bangalore-Munnar thread. Easiest is : Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanala-Club Mahindra. Very good roads all the way. Check with CM if the Bodi-Chinakanal road has been repaired.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 13:14   #799
shimshumara

Bullet Ride:Bengaluru-Munnar-Bengaluru: Request tips

Hello People,

I am not too sure if this new thread about Bullet Ride to Munnar is a duplicate as I did not find a similar one in the recent past though I found some threads related to a Roadtrip by cars / SUVs.

I am planning to ride from Bengaluru to Munnar and back with my wife on pillion. We would be on our RE Classic Chrome 500.

The tentative dates are as below:

Aug 21st, THU - Depart BLR, ride till evening and halt
Aug 22nd, FRI - Start again and reach Munnar by noon.
Aug 23rd & 24th - Munnar Local.
Aug 25th MON - Depart Munnar towards Athirapally, Sholayar, Valparai.
Aug 26th TUE - Depart towards Bengaluru on the final leg.

I am planning to take the route through Mysore Ooty and come back via NH209 (Chamaragnagar, Kanakapura)

Please do let me know about following.
1. Has anybody done this route before on Bikes / Bullets ?
2. What could be the challenges? Safety, Rules / Regulations, solo bullet etc
3. Road conditions for Bullet Ride?
4. Good place to stay before & after Munnar. (we are booked at Munnar)
5. Food stops

Any tips to make our ride memorable is highly appreciated with gratitude.

Old 14th July 2014, 16:24   #800
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bullet Ride:Bengaluru-Munnar-Bengaluru: Request tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshumara View Post
I am planning to take the route through Mysore Ooty and come back via NH209 (Chamaragnagar, Kanakapura)
Well, I did ride with a buddy of mine to Kodai and Munnar last year but not the route you intend to take.

We left at 7.30 am from Blore and reached Kodai by 4pm. I reckon you might be able to do the trip in a single day itself, provided the pillion comfort allows it. Here is the link to my post on this ride.

Quote:
Please do let me know about following.

2. What could be the challenges? Safety, Rules / Regulations, solo bullet etc
Carry a copy of the vehicle documents such as RC book, pollution certificate, insurance copy, etc.

Please also factor in enough breaks, typically once every 100 kms or so for around 20 mins. This is very important since fatigue can easily creep in without your knowledge thereby slowing down your alert systems and reflexes.

Riding gear for you and pillion is also very important.

Quote:
Any tips to make our ride memorable is highly appreciated with gratitude.
Don't stress yourself to cover more distance. Ride as long as you find it enjoyable. Stop for pics and maybe just to admire nature.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 16:32   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am planning to ride from Bengaluru to Munnar

I am not a bike expert, but having done BLR-Munnar in a car, I am not sure why you would want to go through Mysore? Are you staying in ooty? If not, then isn't the normal route through Salem the much better and faster one?

Last edited by dass : 14th July 2014 at 16:53.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 16:49   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to ride from Bengaluru to Munnar and back with my wife on pillion. We would be on our RE Classic Chrome 500. I am planning to take the route through Mysore Ooty and come back via NH209 (Chamaragnagar, Kanakapura)
Not sure of your reasons for going via Mysore-ooty,nevertheless,

Bangalore-Ooty can easily be done in a day on a bike.If you want to stopover ,then Mysore is the ideal place to do it.Ginger Mysore is a budget hotel.

Mysore-Gundlupet-Ooty-Mettupalayam-Avinashi-Udumulpet-Chinnar-Munnar.This would be a long ride considering you have two hills to climb.Leave early to reach Munnar before dusk,no place to stopover enroute.Hence the suggestion to do Blr-Ooty in one day.

Munnar-Athirappilly-Valparai,stay at Woodbriar estates or Sinnadorai at Valparai and descend into Pollachi and take the Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam-NH47@Avinashi-Salem-Bangalore.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th July 2014 at 09:38.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 10:28   #803
shimshumara

Thanks people.

n_aditya:
I checked your other link on Ninja, its awesome.
Documents, Planned/adhoc breaks, fatigue/stress monitor, Riding Gear - Check

Dass & ranjitp1:
There are two reasons to selet this route, I have done NH7 South in 4W many times, thought of going through the mountains and forests.
Hence this route via Mysore & CRNgr.

I have also driven many times through Mysore / CRNgr, and I don't think there is much difference in the distance. Ofcourse with the terrain the ride could be bit more difficult than NH7, my guess is its worth a try

As of now, the plan is to ride BLR-MYS-Ooty-CBE (375kms) , halt there, then do CBE-UDMLPT-Munnar (160kms) next day, reach by noon.

Return would be Munnar - Athirapally - Valparai (220kms) halt. Next day ride from VLPR-Pollachi-Satyamangalam-CRNgr-Kollegal-Kanakapura-BLR (480kms) reach by late evening.

Please let me know if anyone has any inputs. Thanks once again.

Old 15th July 2014, 11:06   #804
BHPian

Has anyone done the Theni Chinnakanal route recently? I have to go to Club Mahindra and i remember that last year there was work going on in this segment. Which is the best route to reach Club Mahindra Munnar. I will be driving from Bangalore and intend to go via Theni.
Old 15th July 2014, 12:25   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone done the Theni Chinnakanal route recently? I have to go to Club Mahindra and i remember that last year there was work going on in this segment. Which is the best route to reach Club Mahindra Munnar. I will be driving from Bangalore and intend to go via Theni.
There is some work going on at Bodi ghats,but nothing major to force you to take the route via Chinnar.The Theni Chinnakanal route is the best route to CM as CM is at Chinnakanal.

Quote:

As of now, the plan is to ride BLR-MYS-Ooty-CBE (375kms) , halt there, then do CBE-UDMLPT-Munnar (160kms) next day, reach by noon.
No problems with this,if it rains it would slow you down otherwise it looks good.You should be able to do it in about 10hrs-12hrs imo, with breaks.

Quote:
Return would be Munnar - Athirapally - Valparai (220kms) halt. Next day ride from VLPR-Pollachi-Satyamangalam-CRNgr-Kollegal-Kanakapura-BLR (480kms) reach by late evening.
Just that you would have to ensure you depart Valparai early enough for you to get into Bangalore by dusk-I am sure you have factored that into your planning.

Safe riding.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th July 2014 at 12:56. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 15th July 2014, 14:28   #806
BHPian

Thanks Ranjit. Do I go through Poopara or the BL Ram route? I remember that the roads through BL Ram were in bad shape.
Old 15th July 2014, 15:59   #807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ranjit. Do I go through Poopara or the BL Ram route? I remember that the roads through BL Ram were in bad shape.
Poopara any day.I dont think authorities remember there are roads in BL Ram area.
Old 16th July 2014, 11:43   #808
BHPian

Thanks Ranjit. Last year I did take the BL Ram route - so i assume that makes me one of the few crazy ones to have tried that route. Of course, i was informed and encouraged by HVK to take that route. The roads were in bad shape and totally isolated, but nevertheless it was fun. This time around Poopara it is then!
Old 16th July 2014, 11:49   #809
shimshumara

Just out of curiocity...... I have heard there is a non-existent route from Kodai to Munnar via Palani Hills Forests, Kurinjimala Forests, Anamudi Forests and Kannan Devan Hills Forests / Pamba Reserve Forest.....

Is this doable? Does it need some special permissions from TN / KL Forest / Police Dept?

Old 16th July 2014, 12:10   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Just out of curiocity...... I have heard there is a non-existent route from Kodai to Munnar via Palani Hills Forests, Kurinjimala Forests, Anamudi Forests and Kannan Devan Hills Forests / Pamba Reserve Forest.....

Is this doable? Does it need some special permissions from TN / KL Forest / Police Dept?
Shimshumara, As far as i know, this route has been closed for quite some time now. This is known to have reduced the travel time by 50 odd kms, but this is not motor-able and has been closed.
MaverikMahesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks