Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2015, 21:01   #946
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway_beckons View Post
Behavior of road users : This truly came home to me this time.

1. Somewhere on the way up… I am taking a curve at maybe 80-90, on the second lane. Another vehicle somewhere on the first lane ( a little behind I think). As I curve, there’s a moped to my left. Actually he was outside the 2nd lane too. Safely away, but I am keeping my attention on him, to avoid anything untoward. And suddenly in front me, there is a ‘Take diversion’ Board bang on the middle of the road. Maybe 30-40 metres away from the curve, I don’t know the actual distance, but it was close enough. The other half of the road is under some maintenance, so this side of the road now becomes 2-way! What if I was taking this turn at Night time??? Once again, Jazz’s braking is awesome.

2. A little way further…. A water truck parked bang on the first lane. 3-4 men, very serenely, watering the plants in the median. As the men progress in their work, the truck would move forward, little by little. Another potential disaster, if that truck was close to a curve.
I have personally stopped at such sights whenever I encountered to warn those poor souls working to put up sign boards before the curve begins. Needless to say, their response wasn't encouraging to write home about! But I still do my duty hoping that times will change one day.
Old 27th September 2015, 10:04   #947
BHPian

Hi

I had been to Munnar from 24th Sep to 26th Sep. First of all, had a wonderful trip. Thanks to Ampere and all others who have provided their expert opinion on this thread which helped me decide my route for this trip. After reading the thread I decided to take Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Chinnakanal-Munnar route for onward journey. I had booked a room in Braknell Forest which is on Bison Valley road, around 10 Km away from Munnar town.

I started from Yelahanka at 4:30am and was able to reach Dindigul around 10 30am. From Dindigul to Munnar town the roads were in good condition. Only suggestion, please dont follow google map in Theni town, as it takes a detour from main road to a galli road for about 1km. Please ask someone for road to Munnar. I was able to reach the resort around 3pm , considering a lot of stops for snaps at some amazing view points enroute to Munnar.

On the way back I decided to explore the Marayoor side of views. So took Munnar-Marayoor-Udumalpet-Palladam-Avinashi-Salem-Bangalore route. The roads till Marayoor has lot of pot holes, and contrast to Theni route, heavy traffic. It took 1 hour 30 min to reach Marayoor which is 40 km from Munnar. Roads from Marayoor to Chinnar forest was slightly better , however from Chinnar to Udumalpet again poor roads in forest section. After Udumalpet the drive was pretty decent.

After this travel, my personal thought is please take route 1 i.e. Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Chinnakanal-Munnar irrespective of where ever your resort is. Distance might be a little longer, but very less traffic and good stretch of ghat roads compared to Udumalpet side of ghats.

Once again thanks to all who have shared their experiences on this forum. Helped a lot!!!
DAART is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 21:47   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAART View Post
Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Chinnakanal-Munnar
Do I need to touch Pooppara in this route? Or can I take deviation at Bodimettu as shown in gmaps?

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 30th September 2015, 22:14   #949
BHPian

I took the deviation at Bodimetu as suggested by maps.
DAART is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 10:39   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAART View Post
I took the deviation at Bodimetu as suggested by maps.
How was the road condition...? Is the route scenic..? Will you able to see the 'Anayirangal Dam' ..?

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 1st October 2015, 12:47   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
How was the road condition...? Is the route scenic..? Will you able to see the 'Anayirangal Dam' ..?

Thanks
Rajesh
You can visit Anayirangal Dam on your way to Munnar via this route. It's just 8 KM before Chinnakanal.
JohnyRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 14:42   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Road conditions were good with very few patches and potholes. I felt route was indeed scenic. I am sharing a few snaps from my last week's trip through this route. However we did not visit 'Anayirangal Dam'.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-img_20150924_132729.jpg  

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-img_20150924_134350.jpg  

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-img_20150924_124259.jpg  

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-img_20150924_134516.jpg  

Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-img_20150924_140439.jpg  

DAART is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 12:35   #953
Senior - BHPian

I am travelling to Karadipara (wifes place - on Adimaly Munnar route) from Bangalore, my usual route is Kangayam, Dharapuram, Udumal, Marayoor, Munnar, Karadipara.

I am planning to take Dindigul, Theni route this time for various reasons. Initial option Google showed was through Bison Valley joining at Head works dam, now I am getting another option of taking Rajakkad, Aanachal, Chithirapuram and join the Munnar Adimali route. https://goo.gl/maps/pRH6P3v7veA2 . This will help to join closer to my location and keep away from Munnar town where the agitations and road blocks are going on (one reason for avoiding Marayur, Munnar route). Any advise on this route will be very helpful. Thanks

Last edited by gadadhar : 9th October 2015 at 12:37.
Old 9th October 2015, 23:28   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
This will help to join closer to my location and keep away from Munnar town where the agitations and road blocks are going on (one reason for avoiding Marayur, Munnar route). Any advise on this route will be very helpful. Thanks
I am going on a 3 days trip to Club Mahindra, Munnar on October 24th, with my wife and daughters. I am worried about the agitation, you have mentioned, in Munnar. I hope it settles down by then.
Old 11th October 2015, 13:46   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
I am going on a 3 days trip to Club Mahindra, Munnar on October 24th, with my wife and daughters. I am worried about the agitation, you have mentioned, in Munnar. I hope it settles down by then.
The strike by plantation workers has reduced tourist flow to Munnar. It is believed that tourist inflow has dropped by 30 per cent after the strike started. The tourism industry is hopeful that the government will approach protestors, plantation owners and resolve the issue within next 1 week.
JohnyRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 16:50   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Agitation hopefully should get resolved in next few days. You don't need to worry too much if plan to be confined to the comfort of Club Mahindra, it is on the way to Munnar if you take the mentioned route and the trouble is happening in Munnar town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I am travelling to Karadipara (wifes place - on Adimaly Munnar route) from Bangalore, my usual route is Kangayam, Dharapuram, Udumal, Marayoor, Munnar, Karadipara.

I am planning to take Dindigul, Theni route this time for various reasons. Initial option Google showed was through Bison Valley joining at Head works dam, now I am getting another option of taking Rajakkad, Aanachal, Chithirapuram and join the Munnar Adimali route. https://goo.gl/maps/pRH6P3v7veA2 . This will help to join closer to my location and keep away from Munnar town where the agitations and road blocks are going on (one reason for avoiding Marayur, Munnar route). Any advise on this route will be very helpful. Thanks
Any update on the route query in my earlier post is highly appreciated. My folks in Munnar is suggesting to stick to NH49 via Pooppara Devikulam.

Last edited by gadadhar : 13th October 2015 at 16:54.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 23:04   #957
BHPian

update -

An agreement was reached between the workers and planters at the plantation labour committee meeting held in the presence of the Chief Minister.

As a result of the agreement reached in the meeting, the joint trade unions have withdrawn their strike.

Now, there are no issues to travel in and around Munnar.
JohnyRider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 13:36   #958
BHPian

Dear All,

I am planning to drive down to Munnar from Bengaluru on 10th November 2015 and the return to Bengaluru is planned on 12th November 2015. I have a few queries which are listed below:

a) Best route to Munnar from Bengaluru; the route via Theni seems to be good overall owing to the road conditions.
b) Would packing light woolens suffice?
c) Is the ghat section steep as compared to the 36- hair pin bend route to Ooty? Have driven to Ooty via Gudalur and returned via Masinagudi.
d) Would be accompanied by my parents, wife and brother. Hopefully with full load my Punto 1.2 will be able to climb the ghat section without fuss. Any pre-cautions which i need to exercise?
e) Breakfast options enroute as i am planning to start by 3:30-4 am from HSR Layout in Bengaluru.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
Old 28th October 2015, 15:10   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleash_thunder View Post
Dear All,
a) Best route to Munnar from Bengaluru; the route via Theni seems to be good overall owing to the road conditions.
c) Is the ghat section steep as compared to the 36- hair pin bend route to Ooty? Have driven to Ooty via Gudalur and returned via Masinagudi.
d) Would be accompanied by my parents, wife and brother. Hopefully with full load my Punto 1.2 will be able to climb the ghat section without fuss. Any pre-cautions which i need to exercise?
e) Breakfast options enroute as i am planning to start by 3:30-4 am from HSR Layout in Bengaluru.
Theni route is best option as of now. If your destination is in Chinnakanal/Suryanelli, this works out even better. From Bodi (Base of the hill) you can reach Chinnakanal/Suryanelli in 1.30 hrs.
Hill climb is not that steep and hairpin bends are probably 15 to 20 and the roads are pretty wide, so you (and your punto) can easily make the climb. If you rate the difficulty level of masinagudi route as 10, then you can rate this route as probably 4 or 5.

Make sure to fill the tank at Theni or Bodi. Very few pumps after that.

With the 4 am start, you can comfortably reach Namakkal around 7.30 to 8. A good place to stop at the Namakkal bypass is Coastal Residency. Good food.
Landkruzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 17:46   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleash_thunder View Post
Dear All,

I am planning to drive down to Munnar from Bengaluru on 10th November 2015 and the return to Bengaluru is planned on 12th November 2015. I have a few queries which are listed below:

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
Compared to the Udumalaipet route, the Theni route is much better in terms of road conditions and the traffic is comparatively less. The roads in this route are also broader as against the Udumalaipet route.
With 4 AM departure from Bangalore, you can reach Munnar by 4 PM with breaks.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks