Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 14:17   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Finished Bangalore - Munnar - Ooty - Mysore - Bangalore trip and came back on last friday (8th April).

It was very nice trip and we all enjoyed thoroughly. Road was very good and specially Udumalpet to Munnar. There were purple/red flowers spread in valley. We took almost 1100 photographs and 32 GB of HD video in complete trip.

While going we lost some way in Udumalpet town and spent 15 minutes coming back on correct way. There were some road works going on in Udumalpet.

Safari was exceptional in entire (1400 KMs) trip and served us well.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:20   #197
BHPian

That is one nice trip anuj, waiting for the travelogue and the pics!!!. i spotted you in your safari on Sunday at 8 pm in ORR, You were driving from silkboard towards sarjapur.
Old 12th April 2011, 11:35   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
That is one nice trip anuj, waiting for the travelogue and the pics!!!. i spotted you in your safari on Sunday at 8 pm in ORR, You were driving from silkboard towards sarjapur.
Thanks for wishes, I will share some photographs of my visit soon. Yeah, on sunday we went to Wonder La and returning around 8 PM.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:29   #199
BHPian

Hello Guys, Planning to do the Munnar trip next week. Please help me on the best route and places to see would be highly appreciated. Also please help me with the weather this time round the year. I am looking at staying in Munnar for 5 nights.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:28   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Hello Guys, Planning to do the Munnar trip next week. Please help me on the best route and places to see would be highly appreciated. Also please help me with the weather this time round the year. I am looking at staying in Munnar for 5 nights.
There are three main routes (all are having many variants) to Munnar from Bangalore. Recently I went through Bangalore - Salem - Perundurai- Dharampuram-Udumalpettai - Munnar. This route is very scenic but it has lot of ghat road. If you want serene drive then you can go through Dindigul - Theni - Bodi route.

There are many places to see in Munnar and I feel you can cover all in 4 days. You can buy some local tourist map and you can roam around yourself. Carry some light jackets/sweaters for evening. Daytime temperature is normal.
Old 19th April 2011, 13:29   #201
BHPian

Thanks Anuj for your advice.

Any advice on good restaurants where we can find good Veg & non Veg food at munnar.

Route 1 - Bangalore - Salem - Perundurai- Dharampuram-Udumalpettai - Munnar (travel time? , condition of the road) Also help me out on stop overs for lunch.

Route 2- Bangalore-Dharmapuri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar. (travel time? , condition of the road) is this the bodi route or a different one?
Old 19th April 2011, 13:59   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anuj for your advice.

Any advice on good restaurants where we can find good Veg & non Veg food at munnar.

Route 1 - Bangalore - Salem - Perundurai- Dharampuram-Udumalpettai - Munnar (travel time? , condition of the road) Also help me out on stop overs for lunch.

Route 2- Bangalore-Dharmapuri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar. (travel time? , condition of the road) is this the bodi route or a different one?
Both route are same only you have added few intermediate cities in between towns in second route. Theni route goes via Dindigul. Check this thread and there are lots of posting about that route.

Honestly, I did not find good restaurant en-route for lunch. I suggest you to take breakfast near Krishnagiri A2B. We just relied upon Idli, Dosa stuff enroute small towns. We did our breakfast cum lunch in Perundurai as we missed morning breakfast near Krishnagiri.

Travelling time between Bangalore and Munnar is 8 - 10 hours. If you stop too much for breakfast and lunch then it will take 10 hours. After Udumalpet there is 90 Kms appx ghat section towards munnar, which considerably slow down average speed.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:10   #203
Team-BHP Support

Do note from Peunudurai, its takes at least 4-5 hours to hit Munnar out of which 90Km (3 hours ) is ghats. Hence if you plan to have lunch at Perundurai, let it be a brunch at about 9-10AM. You dont want to be late for the ghat section drive.

If you start by 5, you can cross Salem by 7-7:30 and would be and be Perundurai in about another 1 hour or so. Which means you can have late breakfast or. Would suggest carry food for BF.

As Anuj, there are not many hotels after Perundurai.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:50   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you start by 5, you can cross Salem by 7-7:30 and would be and be Perundurai in about another 1 hour or so. Which means you can have late breakfast or. Would suggest carry food for BF.

As Anuj, there are not many hotels after Perundurai.
ampere is Master for this side of country and its roads and I relied 100% upon his advice during our Munnar trip and did not face any issue.

At Perundurai, we all took heavy breakfast and then we ate at Munnar only. However, you can find few eatables joints in Udumalpet town also.

Funny thing is almost all eatables write "Hi Class Hotel or Restaurant" and I rarely find any of them are Hi-Class.
Old 19th April 2011, 19:59   #205
BHPian

Thanks Anuj & Ampere for your valuable advice.

Can you please help me finding good restaurants for lunch & dinner in Munnar for Veg & Non Veg ?
Old 19th April 2011, 21:39   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Anuj & Ampere for your valuable advice.

Can you please help me finding good restaurants for lunch & dinner in Munnar for Veg & Non Veg ?
Best bet is find a place to stay, which also has good food option. Most resorts have their own place. If resorts are far away, it may become difficult to find hotels.

During day time, when in midst of sightseeing, if you need a place, there would some good ones in main Munanr town, but I don't remember any.
Old 20th April 2011, 00:11   #207
Senior - BHPian

If its a veg restaurant that you looking for in munnar,then saravana bhavan is your only bet.it is not related to the original SB,but this one is pretty ok,nothing remotely fancy about the place.For non veg there are plenty of options in the town near the bus stand.Edasserry East End is a good place as well.
Old 20th April 2011, 00:49   #208
BHPian

Quote:
I took this route while returning to Bangalore during our trip last week. Just to add to what others have said the road from Bangalore is a fantastic 4L one all the way till a little before Perundurai. The rest are 2L roads. The condition of the roads are pretty good till you hit the forest areas. Thereafter the roads are okay, but patchy at times. This route is no doubt very scenic, but the ghats could tire you out.

The Theni route we took from Kodai to Munnar. Bangalore to Dindigul is a breeze (4L all the way). Dindigul to Bodi roads are quite good too (2L). Thereafter start the ghat roads which are okay. I will prefer this route if I were to do this trip again (because I generally do all the driving myself).

We did have lunch at Meenakshi Bhavan in Theni (on the RHS going towards Munnar). This is adjacent to a petrol pump (BP I guess). While returning we had lunch at Kantha Vilas in Dharapuram (on the LHS coming towards Bangalore). We actually liked the food here. Don't expect much in terms of ambience, class, etc. We had South Indian meals at both places. The restaurants were clean enough.

During our stay in Munnar, we usually ate in our resort. Just had lunch once at Hotel Eastend in Munnar (Mattupetty Road). Food was mighty expensive.

Last edited by CBlazer : 20th April 2011 at 00:54.
Old 20th April 2011, 06:49   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I took this route while returning to Bangalore during our trip last week.
How was the weather in Munnar? Has the rain started over there? What about greenery in Marayoor forests.

RamP!
Old 20th April 2011, 10:25   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Best bet is find a place to stay, which also has good food option. Most resorts have their own place. If resorts are far away, it may become difficult to find hotels.

During day time, when in midst of sightseeing, if you need a place, there would some good ones in main Munanr town, but I don't remember any.
Tea County by KTDC is not a bad option for food if you are in the Munnar town.

Most Viewed