Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 00:07   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

I am planning to go to Munnar & en route stay in Coimbatore. Any suggestion at Coimbatore for around 1.5K? How is the road between Coimbatore & Munnar?

At Munnar, I am planning stay at Blackberry Hills // Retreat & Spa. Any review on this?

Last edited by msdivy : 7th July 2011 at 00:08.
Old 7th July 2011, 06:12   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I am planning to go to Munnar & en route stay in Coimbatore. Any suggestion at Coimbatore for around 1.5K? How is the road between Coimbatore & Munnar?

At Munnar, I am planning stay at Blackberry Hills // Retreat & Spa. Any review on this?
From CBE the standard route is via Pollachi-Udumalpet (NH209).

The NH is very decent and nice to drive.
At Udumalpet you turn towards the forest and reach Munnar via Chinnar/Marayoor.

Getting in and out of Pollachi is difficult, as there is lot of traffic and crowd. Need to be careful about it.
Old 7th July 2011, 08:29   #288
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestion at Coimbatore for around 1.5K? How is the road between Coimbatore & Munnar?
In Coimbatore I prefer to stay in Gandhipuram since there are lots of hotels and many options both for food and shopping (if you want to).
Some of the decent hotels in your budget range should be Hotel Aswini, Ess Paradise (opp. each other on Nehru Street), Seetharam Lodge on Kalingarayan Street - all these hotels are nearby.

Road from Coimbatore to Munnar is good.
Route is:
Coimbatore (turn left after Ukkadam toll booth)-Pollachi-Udumalaipet-Chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar
This route is very scenic and you should be able to do it in about 4 hrs or so.
You can find more details of route in my earlier travelogue (my earlier post #273 on this thread has link)

*you don't have to pay toll at Ukkadam (the contract period is over) but there will be someone there asking for money, just ignore and don't stop.

Last edited by NPV : 7th July 2011 at 08:34.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 08:51   #289
Senior - BHPian

@ampere, @NPV: Thanks.
I plan to do this next week. The reason I plan to stay in Coimbatore is I am starting from Nanjangud around noon, reach Coimbatore by evening and start for Munnar the next morning.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:58   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi MS - Blackberry Hills resort is good. I have stayed there last year ( my travelogue in this forum). The service is relaxed, time consuming, but the food is pretty good. The rooms are clean and the ones that have a balcony with the hill views are really nice.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 23:54   #291
Senior - BHPian

Did this trip last week:
Going: Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangudu-Chamarajanagara-Satyamangalam-Coimbatore-Pollachi-Udumalaipettai-Munnar.
Back: Munnar-Theni-Dindigul-Salem-Hosur-Bangalore

Few points:
1) Heavy traffic between Mysore-Nanjangudu & Coimbatore-Pollachi and watch out for rashly overtaking, oncoming buses.
2) Extra caution to be exercised with two-wheelers in Pollachi & Udumalaipettai.
3) While coming back, between Munnar & Chinnakanal, there was heavy fog blanket, with visibility less than 40 metres. This was at 12PM. Also in this stretch, the ghat road is broken in some places.
4) Overall the roads are good.
Old 24th July 2011, 00:36   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did this trip last week:
Going: Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangudu-Chamarajanagara-Satyamangalam-Coimbatore-Pollachi-Udumalaipettai-Munnar.
Back: Munnar-Theni-Dindigul-Salem-Hosur-Bangalore

Few points:
1) Heavy traffic between Mysore-Nanjangudu & Coimbatore-Pollachi and watch out for rashly overtaking, oncoming buses.
To travel to Coimbatore via Satyamangalam, taking NH209 all the way from Bangalore itself (via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar) is a much better option. Roads are excellent all the way through except for few kms on either side of Kollegal where the surface is slightly rough.

The big plus is the sparse traffic which makes the drive on this route absolutely tension-free, especially when comparing to the crazy traffic in the Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud sector (and the innumerable speedbreakers that makes driving on SH17 literally a pain in the butt !!)
Old 24th July 2011, 09:45   #293
Team-BHP Support

Any reason to go via CBE rather than the stand GQ?
Any work at CBE which required this route? Passing through cities would consume more time.
Old 25th July 2011, 11:41   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any reason to go via CBE rather than the stand GQ?
I had to visit Nanjangudu temple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
To travel to Coimbatore via Satyamangalam, taking NH209 all the way from Bangalore itself (via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar) is a much better option.
Yes, and the distance would be less too.

Toll paid between Dindigul bypass to Bangalore:
1) TNDK, Velanchet: 60
2) NK, Rasampalyam: 32
3) MVR, Omalur: 53
4) L&T Thopur: 66
5) HK, Krishnagiri: 50
6) BETL Attibele: 20
Total: Rs 281
Old 25th July 2011, 15:05   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had to visit Nanjangudu temple.Yes, and the distance would be less too.

Sorry for asking it twice.
I just realized I had also asked it earlier before you left!
Old 29th July 2011, 20:09   #296
Senior - BHPian

Drives around Munnar

Guys,

Am headed to Munnar around end-August and would be there for 3-4 days. Any good drives around other than the standard Top Station and Eravikulam circuit? I am looking at some scenic sectors not more than 80-100 kms to and from Munnar.

On a side note, I am planning to go via Dindugul-Theni and return via Chinnar - Coimbatore, so I'd be covering these sectors anyways.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by cool_dube : 29th July 2011 at 20:12.
Old 29th July 2011, 21:59   #297
Senior - BHPian

Re: Drives around Munnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys,

Am headed to Munnar around end-August and would be there for 3-4 days. Any good drives around other than the standard Top Station and Eravikulam circuit? I am looking at some scenic sectors not more than 80-100 kms to and from Munnar.

On a side note, I am planning to go via Dindugul-Theni and return via Chinnar - Coimbatore, so I'd be covering these sectors anyways.

Thanks in advance!!
Enough has been discussed about the routes to Munnar. Both routes will be good and has its own Charm. Munnar-Maraiyoor-Udumalpet will be more scenic.

Why do you want to return via Coimbatore? If you have a purpose to go to Coiimbatore, then its fine.
Old 29th July 2011, 22:31   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Enough has been discussed about the routes to Munnar. Both routes will be good and has its own Charm. Munnar-Maraiyoor-Udumalpet will be more scenic.
Thank you but I have done both these routes multiple times and am aware of the charms! Please re-read my post - my query was something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Why do you want to return via Coimbatore? If you have a purpose to go to Coiimbatore, then its fine.
I meant Udumalpet - Palladam - Avinashi when I said Coimbatore route.
Old 29th July 2011, 22:41   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you but I have done both these routes multiple times and am aware of the charms! Please re-read my post - my query was something different.
Sorry dude. It's my bad. To my knowledge there are 3 routes to Munnar. The third route is from Kerala (thru kothamangalam). I have done this route and has its own charm.

Quote:
I meant Udumalpet - Palladam - Avinashi when I said Coimbatore route.
Alright. Again, I would advice that you need not touch Avinashi too. You can do Udumalpet-Dharapuram-Kangeyam-Perundurai to avoid the under construction stretch between Avinashi-Chengapalli.
Old 30th July 2011, 10:35   #300
Team-BHP Support

@cool_dube, I remember there was TL from a member who's relative actually studied Engineering in Munnar! (How I envy him! )

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ving-road.html

He may be able to tell about more places inside and driving options within that region.

Also as Ramesh mentioned, good to avoid Avinashi and go via Udumalpet-Dharapuram-Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem-Bangalore.

Last edited by ampere : 30th July 2011 at 10:42.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks