Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2011, 23:33   #181
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Hi,

I have planned a 10 day trip from Bangalore to Munnar-Kodai-Valparai-Kochi.

The gang will consist of 3 adults and one 5 month old baby. The vehicle will be my Hyundai Accent GLE.

The below plan is prepared based on all the valuable inputs taken from TBHP. Just wanted to check for any updates on road condition and any precaution to be taken.
  • 10th April Sunday - start from Bng (Bannerghatta road) at 1:30pm, take the Bng-Salem route overnight halt at Perundurai (Chennys)
  • 11th Mon - start at 8:00 am - Perundurai to Munnar (3 nights at KDHP Bunglow at topstation)
  • 14th Thur - start at 8:00 am - Munnar to Kodai via Theni (2 nights at Villa Retreat)
  • 16th Sat - start at 8:00 am - Kodai to Valparai via Palani (one night at Monica,Woodbriar and 2 nights at Indraprastha, Glendale)
  • 19th Tue - start at 1:30pm - Valparai to Kochi thru the famous Adirampally route.
Since we have some work at Kochi and Calicut we will return to Bangalore only by May (Kochi-Calicut-Wayanad-Bangalore)

Thank You all for the details already provided, I have never planned a trip so easily.

Vindy
Old 28th March 2011, 16:23   #182
Senior - BHPian

Please suggest good restaurants/eateries along Bangalore - Munnar Road (Route: Bangalore - Salem - Perundurai - Dharampuram - Udumalpettai - Munnar).

I will leave Bangalore on 3rd April at 5:00 AM in the morning.

Planning to have breakfast near Salem and lunch near Udumalpettai. We would like to have decent restaurant as ladies will be accompanying with me.

This is my initial plan. I simply do not have idea of good restaurants en-route. Final plan depends upon your suggestions.

Last edited by anujmishra : 28th March 2011 at 16:25.
Old 28th March 2011, 16:52   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Please suggest good restaurants/eateries along Bangalore - Munnar Road (Route: Bangalore - Salem - Perundurai - Dharampuram - Udumalpettai - Munnar).

I will leave Bangalore on 3rd April at 5:00 AM in the morning.

Planning to have breakfast near Salem and lunch near Udumalpettai. We would like to have decent restaurant as ladies will be accompanying with me.

This is my initial plan. I simply do not have idea of good restaurants en-route. Final plan depends upon your suggestions.
Breakfast stop at A2B near Thoppur(approx 50kms before Salem) and you would reach Munnar for lunch.It is just an 8hour drive.
Old 28th March 2011, 19:18   #184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Breakfast stop at A2B near Thoppur(approx 50kms before Salem) and you would reach Munnar for lunch.It is just an 8hour drive.
Ranjit, I think it would be nearly 3 when he reaches Munnar. Also beyond Perundurai, there are no good hotels to break for Lunch. So I would suggest, if he can pack some thing, which he can have on the road side.

For the BF, if you start by 5, ideal would be GRT at Salem, which he can reach by 8. (But Anuj, be aware GRT has buffet BF, which is pricey compared to A2B.).

The other problem is Thoppur A2B is on the other side of the highway while going towards Salem. You need to take a U and come back. GRT is on the same side, 1-2Km before the diversion to 5-roads junction from NH7.
Old 28th March 2011, 19:40   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

For the BF, if you start by 5, ideal would be GRT at Salem, which he can reach by 8. (But Anuj, be aware GRT has buffet BF, which is pricey compared to A2B.).
GRT is a killer,its priced at INR 325 per head

Instead,there is a new Kamat(I think it was a Kamat) that has opened after Salem and before Perundurai on the right side while going towards CBE.It looked good when I drove down last time in Dec/Jan.It has dormitory facilities as well.Else you could also stop at the all time favourite of Perundurai bypassers-Hotel Chennis (www.hotelchennis.com)
Old 28th March 2011, 19:47   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GRT is a killer,its priced at INR 325 per head

Instead,there is a new Kamat(I think it was a Kamat) that has opened after Salem and before Perundurai on the right side while going towards CBE.It looked good when I drove down last time in Dec/Jan.It has dormitory facilities as well.Else you could also stop at the all time favourite of Perundurai bypassers-Hotel Chennis (www.hotelchennis.com)
Ranjit, where exactly is the location? Is it between the first and the last exit of Perundurai on NH47? Is it near the hospital exit? Since one would be getting into the town most probably at the first exit, one can miss the hotel.
Old 28th March 2011, 19:52   #187
Senior - BHPian

The Kamat one is much before Perundurai.As for Chennis,one would begin to see distance to hotel and location around 20kms before the hotel itself,so theres no way one can miss the hotel.Chennis is not on NH47,its on the road that goes into Perundurai.

Theres another good one before Perundurai called Annalakshmi onto your left towards CBE,decent food and facilities.
Old 28th March 2011, 20:03   #188
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Ampere that Thoppur may not the right place for breakfast - With a 5AM start from Bangalore one would be passing Thoppur around half past six and the last time I stopped there at 6:45 AM they hadn't started serving breakfast. Salem might be more appropriate (Or possibly some place a little bit further)

In case your destination in Munnar is around Chinnakanal / Devikulam (where Sterling, Club Mahindra etc are situated), a faster alternative would be Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Munnar. If travelling to Munnar town this route would be about 35-40 kms more than the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Udumalpet route, but to Chinnakanal the distance would probably be the same either way (since one has to travel almost 20 kms from Munnar along the route to Bodi to get to Chinnakanal).

If travelling through Kangeyam, there's a pretty decent restaurant opposite the Bus stand there (Sorry don't recall the name). There should be some restaurants at Udumalpet also since it is a reasonably big town, but don't recall seeing any on the route to Munnar, so one might need to deviate into town to find one.

If travelling via Dindigul, there's a pretty good restaurant with good toilet facilities just after passing Karur (near the end of the bye-pass next to a HP gas station). But this would be approximately 3.5 hours away from Bangalore, so would suit only a late breakfast.
Old 28th March 2011, 20:10   #189
Team-BHP Support

That is a good point Kala. Since he is going to Chinnakanal (sorry I missed that), going via Dindigul may be a good option. Even distance on the ghat roads is reduced (Bodi-Munnar).

But would suggest, not to miss the Munnar-Udumalpet section while coming back. It makes a nice drive, with amazing views.

Anuj, please note: Chinnakanal is 22 km from Munnar on NH49 towards the Madurai side. Hence the point of driving to Dindigul on NH7 and shfting on NH45 to Theni and then on to NH49 to Munnar via Bodi.
Old 28th March 2011, 20:50   #190

The best route from Bangalore to Munnar is
Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Salem > Namakkal > Karur > Dindigul > Theni > Munnar

The road is good - 4 lane NH till Dindigul. You don't have to go through the city anywhere except Salem bypass. The tolls are irritating, but otherwise this route will be easy on your car. The Sathy route is not that great and you will not be able to maintain much speed.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:54   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Anuj, please note: Chinnakanal is 22 km from Munnar on NH49 towards the Madurai side. Hence the point of driving to Dindigul on NH7 and shfting on NH45 to Theni and then on to NH49 to Munnar via Bodi.
I have booked my accommodation in Shamrock Resort. I feel it is near to Munnar town. Both routes are good and this time I would take Udumalpettai route. I am excited to drive from Udumalpettai to Munnar. I will also return from same route as next stop for me is Ooty. I will take Pollachi - Coimbatore route.

PS: I have decided this route only after your suggestion. Otherwise, I was planning to go via Sathya route. Now, you are coming with another option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If travelling through Kangeyam, there's a pretty decent restaurant opposite the Bus stand there (Sorry don't recall the name). There should be some restaurants at Udumalpet also since it is a reasonably big town, but don't recall seeing any on the route to Munnar, so one might need to deviate into town to find one.
Thanks kala for nice suggestion. I would try to take breakfast near Salem town. GRT is option as per ampere I would like to try it once. Otherwise, If I see some decent restaurant, I would stop by. Also, we will keep some eatables in car in case we do not find any good restaurant.

As of now my plan is to start by 5 in the morning and much depends upon ladies and kids getting ready by 5.

Quote:
The Kamat one is much before Perundurai.As for Chennis,one would begin to see distance to hotel and location around 20kms before the hotel itself,so theres no way one can miss the hotel.Chennis is not on NH47,its on the road that goes into Perundurai.

Theres another good one before Perundurai called Annalakshmi onto your left towards CBE,decent food and facilities.
Wow, ranjitp1, I straight away noted it down in my diary. Many many thanks for suggestion. I will take Perundurai route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulprv View Post
The best route from Bangalore to Munnar is
Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Salem > Namakkal > Karur > Dindigul > Theni > Munnar
This time (My first time to Munnar) I am planning to go via Udumalpettai. I will certainly go next time by Theni route.

Last edited by anujmishra : 30th March 2011 at 09:57.
Old 30th March 2011, 10:03   #192
Team-BHP Support

The route via Sathy is not at all the right one. Of the two options to Munnar, one is via Udumalpet, while the other is via Theni. Theni is option is good if one is staying in Chinnakanal as this place is 22Km towards Theni from Munnar.

But having said that, Udumalpet side of the route is not to be missed for the vistas it provides!

Have a nice drive.
Old 31st March 2011, 17:51   #193
Senior - BHPian

There is a not so bad non veg restaurant in Udumelpet with OK toilets and good food. It's usual place for me and family (and may be only option available in Udumel) for on our Munnar trips but not able to recollect the name now. Location is once you exit Udumelpet town, on the Chinnar road there is level crossing and this hotel is on the right hand side. There was an over bridge construction happening at the level cross and there was a deviation (my last trip was 6 months back, not sure on current status). If you are taking the deviation you will have to turn back towards Udumalpet (around 500 mts) for this hotel.

I have also noticed a Veg place (Some Arya/Ananda?.. Bhavan not sure it is connected with any major chains), this comes on the right hand side the moment you hit the T-junction in Udumalpet town. I have not tried this since I am not a fan of Veg, but was looking decent from outside. Another issue with this place is finding parking can be difficult since the hotel side is no-parking if my memory is correct

There are few OK places in Marayur, biggest is Chandana but there family restaurant was closed for renovation few months back, there are few other smaller hotels once you enter the town.

It is better not to wait for lunch till Munnar, driving with an empty stomach in the picturesque Marayur Munnar route won't be any fun.
Old 9th April 2011, 23:14   #194
BHPian

Hi,

We are starting tomorrow on our first "TBHP inspired" 10 day trip as mentioned in my post earlier in this thread. Munnar, Kodai and Valparai.

Are warm clothes required in any of these places at this time of the year?

Rgds

VW
Old 10th April 2011, 07:55   #195
Team-BHP Support

No need for any warm clothes. But yes, if there are infants, you may take something for them. Evenings may be a bit chill.

Last edited by ampere : 10th April 2011 at 07:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks