Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 15:04   #166
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats only one issue. When coming from Udumalpet side, you need to drive another 22Km to reach Chinnakanal which is on the Bodi side.

Since that is where most of the good hotels are, coming from Bodi may be easier.
Yes, for me it was very convenient coming thro' Bodi as i was booked to stay in Sterling Resorts in Chinnakanal.
Old 8th January 2011, 17:52   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Yes, for me it was very convenient coming thro' Bodi as i was booked to stay in Sterling Resorts in Chinnakanal.
I suffered the other way! I stayed at Sienna (same place) but came via Udumalpettai. And on top of, at late in the evening the fog even did me away!

It was quite scarry at times with steep precipice, and no light between Munnar and Chinnakanal.
Old 16th March 2011, 14:52   #168
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to do Munnar on 3rd of April, 2011. Which route I should take? My car would be Safari.

1. Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Chamrajnagar - Thimbam - Sathy - Coimbatore - Pollachi - Udumalapettai - Munnar.

2. Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet - Chinnar - Munnar

I'm more inclined towards route # 1 as it has more number of wild life sanctuary en route. I do not know the condition of first route. Since, it is leisure visit, I want more wildlife route from Bangalore to Munnar.

Please suggest.

Last edited by anujmishra : 16th March 2011 at 15:02.
Old 16th March 2011, 15:15   #169
Senior - BHPian

Problem with first route is that you have to go into Coimbatore city unless you turn off at Annur and go onto Coimbatore bypass on NH47.

I would concentrate on reaching Munnar as soon as possible and prefer Route #2, since it is advisable to cross Chinnar WLS (Udumalai-Munnar) before dark.
Old 16th March 2011, 15:50   #170
Senior - BHPian

Agree totally with HVK,Chinnar after dark is definitely off limits,which means even if you enter by 4-5pm,its still going to be difficult as you would be driving half of the sanctuary in twilight and fading light.As it is they dont let you in after 6pm AFAIK.
Old 16th March 2011, 15:59   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Agree totally with HVK,Chinnar after dark is definitely off limits,which means even if you enter by 4-5pm,its still going to be difficult as you would be driving half of the sanctuary in twilight and fading light.As it is they dont let you in after 6pm AFAIK.
I think the Chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar road is open 24x7 because I have driven through at 11 pm in the night without any trouble. However, it could be dangerous to do so because of heavy wildlife movements on this road. Try to cross this point by 4 pm.
Old 16th March 2011, 16:00   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I am planning to do Munnar on 3rd of April, 2011. Which route I should take? My car would be Safari.

1. Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Chamrajnagar - Thimbam - Sathy - Coimbatore - Pollachi - Udumalapettai - Munnar.

2. Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet - Chinnar - Munnar

I'm more inclined towards route # 1 as it has more number of wild life sanctuary en route. I do not know the condition of first route. Since, it is leisure visit, I want more wildlife route from Bangalore to Munnar.

Please suggest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Problem with first route is that you have to go into Coimbatore city unless you turn off at Annur and go onto Coimbatore bypass on NH47.

I would concentrate on reaching Munnar as soon as possible and prefer Route #2, since it is advisable to cross Chinnar WLS (Udumalai-Munnar) before dark.
What is the distance and driving time for route # 2? I plan to visit Kodai and Munnar in May, and might go to Munnar first.
Old 16th March 2011, 16:03   #173
Team-BHP Support

You dont even need to go via Mettur. Go via Salem. Its much faster as all 4L and by-passes are complete till Perundurai.

As Ranjit and HVK said, you need to reach Munnar before dark.

From that point of view, if you start by 4:30, you can hit Salem by 7 to 7:30. Have a quick breakfast, cross Perundurai/Kangeyam/Dharapuram. You should be at Udumalpet by about 11-12 max. Take 3 hours for the 90 Km from Udumalpet to Munnar plus another 1 hour for breaks/snaps. You should be there by 4-5. Please note if you have booked any property in Chinnakanal (Club Mahindra/Sienna etc), please account for another 22Km from Munnar. So plan accordingly to be at the resort.

Also why do you need to do the Udumalpet-Munnar in the light and not in dark? That is because, you dont want to miss out the spectacular views!

EDIT: Distance would be about 480 Km. @Vnabi, I would say hitting Kodai first would be easier.

Last edited by ampere : 16th March 2011 at 16:10.
Old 16th March 2011, 16:20   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

EDIT: Distance would be about 480 Km. @Vnabi, I would say hitting Kodai first would be easier.
Thanks @ampere. I've already got a detailed route map from you on the route to Kodai and then to Munnar. This was just a standby route, in case there is a change of plan and we drop Ooty from our list.
Old 16th March 2011, 16:46   #175
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore-Munnar :

Bangalore-Dharmapuri-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar.

You get off the 4L (NH47) at Perundurai and get into the town. From then on its the State Highways of TN till Udumalpet and then ghat roads from there on.
Old 16th March 2011, 16:55   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
What is the distance and driving time for route # 2? I plan to visit Kodai and Munnar in May, and might go to Munnar first.
440 kms from Bangalore to Munnar via Salem, Perunthurai & Udumalaipet.
You can check the route in this link (has Bangalore-Dindigul-Kodai-Munnar-Perunthurai-Bangalore):
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...iNjNm&hl=en_GB
Old 16th March 2011, 16:56   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

Please suggest.
You can always go directly to Chamraj Nagar via Malavalli & Kollegal instead of going via Mysore, would save you a lot of trouble. You can find more details on this post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2252670

Also if you are travelling during day time I doubt you would have much luck with wildlife sightings in the Thimbam stretch. Nevertheless if you are planning to go via Sathyamangalam I second what HVK says go via Bypass by taking a detour at Annur rather than going through Coimbatore.
Old 16th March 2011, 17:17   #178
BHPian

Another route;
Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindugul-Theni-Munnar
Theni-Munnar road get negligible traffic except the RTC buses
This route is slightly longer but BLR-Dindigul is a 4 laned fast stretch

Last edited by GSMINC : 16th March 2011 at 17:37.
Old 16th March 2011, 18:06   #179
Senior - BHPian

Dear All and HVK Sir,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. After reading all your comments, I would take Route#1 with slightly changed plan which was suggested by ampere. I would go till Salem and take Perundurai route from there.

I need to do little research that how to go to Perundurai from NH7, or which opening from Salem I have to take. I read somewhere but did not get completely. Any suggestions from people who already did this route.
Old 16th March 2011, 18:20   #180
Team-BHP Support

The route from Salem is simple. Take the route to Coimbattore (NH47).
Once you enter Salem, see marking for Coimbatore. You wont need to get onto the Salem town. NH7 goes around the city. One of the deviations would be NH47 to Erode/CBE.

Once on this highway (GQ), drive till Perundurai town. You will need to exit the highway here and continue through SH of TN as mentioned in previous posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks