Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 18:49   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks,
Those planning to visit Munnar via Udumalpeta and Marayur on a Sunday morning had better be aware of traffic snarls on the outskirts of Munnar.

It took us an hour to traverse 10 kms on May 15th, on account of the narrow road and buses parked at vista points. At many places, it is tough for two buses to pass at the same point.
I was just mentioning in the other Kodai travelogue. It is a serious pain visiting any of the hill stations during weekend. The other weekend on my way to Kotagiri from Masinagudi took me an hour to pass through Ooty with almost a km long stream of vehicles near Doddabetta turn off. It is no fun visiting these places during weekends.

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 25th May 2011 at 18:50.
Old 26th May 2011, 09:32   #242
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks,
Those planning to visit Munnar via Udumalpeta and Marayur on a Sunday morning had better be aware of traffic snarls on the outskirts of Munnar.

It took us an hour to traverse 10 kms on May 15th, on account of the narrow road and buses parked at vista points. At many places, it is tough for two buses to pass at the same point.

Further, though Top Station offers fantastic views, it involves a steep drop to the vista point on a slippery walkway, and therefore one needs to be in good shape to visit that point.
During our drive on Saturday when entering Munnar from Marayoor the major traffic snarl was at Eravikulam park where mini buses and other veicles were parked haphazardly and there was utter confusion. Also noticed people standing in a long line to buy tickets, one of the reasons we skipped it during our sightseeing trip on Sunday.
Similar scene on Sunday at Mattupetty dam, Echo Point, Kundala Dam and Top Station. Munnar is definitely not what it was when I visited in 2002.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:55   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
During our drive on Saturday when entering Munnar from Marayoor the major traffic snarl was at Eravikulam park where mini buses and other veicles were parked haphazardly and there was utter confusion. Also noticed people standing in a long line to buy tickets, one of the reasons we skipped it during our sightseeing trip on Sunday.
Similar scene on Sunday at Mattupetty dam, Echo Point, Kundala Dam and Top Station. Munnar is definitely not what it was when I visited in 2002.
Very true. Current Munnar is not it was 10 years back. Even in 2007, I couldn'd find crowd beyond the Mattupetty dam. I was able to see only one shop at Kundala dam and no one (Visiters) was there except me.
Old 26th May 2011, 16:09   #244

Returned from my Munnar trip yesterday. Munnar and the greenery is too good. Only issue is the crowd. Guess 'May' is not the right time. All the places are extremely crowded, traffic jams and long queues.

Is post monsoon a better time? I would like to go again and enjoy the place.

Took Tirupur route both ways, stayed overnight in Tirupur. Drive from Marayoor to Munnar is simply mindblowing.
Old 26th May 2011, 17:15   #245
Team-BHP Support

The best time to hit Munnar is Dec first week. There is chill in the air. Rains are over and you get full water bodies.

And more importantly Dec first/second week falls after Diwali and before X-mas/New yeat. So the peak-season rates dont apply. You get the best season and best rates!

Last edited by ampere : 26th May 2011 at 17:17.
Old 26th May 2011, 18:07   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffarozan View Post
Returned from my Munnar trip yesterday. Munnar and the greenery is too good. Only issue is the crowd. Guess 'May' is not the right time. All the places are extremely crowded, traffic jams and long queues.

Is post monsoon a better time? I would like to go again and enjoy the place.

Took Tirupur route both ways, stayed overnight in Tirupur. Drive from Marayoor to Munnar is simply mindblowing.
Thats the beauty of Munnar. Once visited, you fall in love that to that place and would like to go again & again.

Any pictures you have to post, especially the marayoor route? Travelouge?

To enjoy a peaceful trip to a hill station, May is not the right time simply because of the crowd and summer holidays. Best to go in second season or if possible off season. Thats my take atleast.

-Ravi
Old 27th May 2011, 15:23   #247
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, I've posted my Bangalore-Munnar-Bangalore travelogue...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...re-4-days.html
Old 31st May 2011, 16:56   #248
BHPian

Guess all the hillstations are crowded during April - May timeframe.

Had been to Kodai on May 20, 2011. Traffic was worse than in Bangalore during peak hour.

All the vista points are in one direction. To travel a distance of 6kms, it took us 1.5 hours.

The traffic snarls are mainly due to people stopping their vehicles for the passengers to get out and then trying to find a parking slot and the vehicles wanting to leave.

They do have plenty of cops on duty assisting them but even then the issue persists.

For visiting the Berijam lake and the vista points enroute, you need to take permission from the Forest Department and there were huge queues there also. They allow only a limited number of vehicles inside the forest everyday.

People throw plastic bottles, bags etc... everywhere.
Its a sore sight.

Regards
Iridium.
Old 20th June 2011, 20:07   #249
Senior - BHPian

How is Munnar towards middle to late August ? Is it going to be raining around thsi time ? What about the crowds ?

I am planning a road trip from 17th Aug to 21st Aug.

Plan is to rent a self drive car in Bangalore and do the Bangalore Munnar drive in one day.

NPV has suggested the following route as the fastest.

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Theni - Bodinaykanur - Munnar

Google maps came up with this route going thru the Indra Gandhi Park so hope to be able to take this on the way back though in reverse !

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Bhavani - Kangayam - Dharapuram - Udumalaippettai - Maraiyoor - Munnar

Any suggessions and advice will be much appreciated. Will probably have to leave bangalore a bit late around 10.00 AM so hope to be able to reach Munnar by around 8.00 or 9.00 PM with minimal stopping.Is this do able ?

Currently three hotel options are being considered in the order posted below. Any inputs on which will be the best one are much appreciated.

1. The Sierra Village.
2. Blackberry Hills Reort
3. CSR Mountain Club Resort.

Also would appreciate help in getting a good deal on self hire cars in Bangalore. Have hired from Avis earlier but their cars are poorly maintained and the rates are pretty steep, currently quoting around 17K for the five day for a Fiesta, Any help on this front will be much appreciated.

Last edited by wasif : 20th June 2011 at 20:08.
Old 20th June 2011, 20:13   #250
Team-BHP Support

10AM is too late. As you said you would reach by 8-9 PM. If you get caught in fog, it would be difficult to drive.
Also late in the night if you are put up in a far off resort, it would become difficult to spot it. Add to it rains.

Would suggest to start by 5. Its worth it.

Both the routes you mentioned are good. As you said do the second route (via Udumalpet) while coming back.
Its worth the views on the way.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 20:15   #251
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ampere for your inputs. Will do my best to start early.

What do you think about the hotels I listeed....that Sierra Village loksgreat but its 20KM from Munnar.

Any suggessions on car hire in Bangalore ?
Old 20th June 2011, 20:17   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
How is Munnar towards middle to late August ? Is it going to be raining around thsi time ? What about the crowds ?

I am planning a road trip from 17th Aug to 21st Aug.

Plan is to rent a self drive car in Bangalore and do the Bangalore Munnar drive in one day.

NPV has suggested the following route as the fastest.

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Theni - Bodinaykanur - Munnar

Google maps came up with this route going thru the Indra Gandhi Park so hope to be able to take this on the way back though in reverse !

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Bhavani - Kangayam - Dharapuram - Udumalaippettai - Maraiyoor - Munnar

Any suggessions and advice will be much appreciated. Will probably have to leave bangalore a bit late around 10.00 AM so hope to be able to reach Munnar by around 8.00 or 9.00 PM with minimal stopping.Is this do able ?

Currently three hotel options are being considered in the order posted below. Any inputs on which will be the best one are much appreciated.

1. The Sierra Village.
2. Blackberry Hills Reort
3. CSR Mountain Club Resort.

Also would appreciate help in getting a good deal on self hire cars in Bangalore. Have hired from Avis earlier but their cars are poorly maintained and the rates are pretty steep, currently quoting around 17K for the five day for a Fiesta, Any help on this front will be much appreciated.
Suggest an early start since I feel 10 AM is too late to have any buffer/slack time for the drive. My advice is to reach Munnar town before sunset when there is natural light.

Few things that can make your late evening drive risky and unpredictable in the ghat section: rains, fog, some traffic hold-up in the ghats due to some mishap, people (and that too a few cars together) just stopping abruptly on the road if a wild animal is sighted and of course, your local commuting (to the place of stay) once you reach the town.

Last edited by ajithbr : 20th June 2011 at 20:19.
Old 20th June 2011, 20:27   #253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere for your inputs. Will do my best to start early.

What do you think about the hotels I listeed....that Sierra Village loksgreat but its 20KM from Munnar.

Any suggessions on car hire in Bangalore ?
Sierra is fantastic! I stayed there and enjoyed. Definitely value for money.
Its 20km from Munnar no doubt (22 to be precise), but its 22km on your side!

Since you would be coming from Bodi, you would hit Chinnakanal first and then Munnar.
So no issues. You save that much distance. But if you are driving in the dark, you can definitely miss the turn. Its typically pitch dark. No light on the road.

From the main NH49, the hotel is about 2 km inside.

I have no idea about car hire.
Old 21st June 2011, 09:46   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sierra is fantastic! I stayed there and enjoyed. Definitely value for money.
Its 20km from Munnar no doubt (22 to be precise), but its 22km on your side!

Since you would be coming from Bodi, you would hit Chinnakanal first and then Munnar.
So no issues. You save that much distance. But if you are driving in the dark, you can definitely miss the turn. Its typically pitch dark. No light on the road.

From the main NH49, the hotel is about 2 km inside.

I have no idea about car hire.
Thanks again... I will confirm the booking with them today
Old 21st June 2011, 09:50   #255
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will probably have to leave bangalore a bit late around 10.00 AM so hope to be able to reach Munnar by around 8.00 or 9.00 PM with minimal stopping.Is this do able ?
I had mentioned this in my earlier repsonse to you (in the TL forum)

This should be doable in about 9 hours with break of about an hour or so provided you leave bangalore early, before 6 am.

An early start out of Bangalore is always good so you can beat the traffic as well as do the major part of the drive in the first half of the day so I wouldn't suggest a late start (Also wouldn't want to do the last stretch in to Munnar in darkness / near darkness). If it's the Udumalaipet route you pass through the forest and have about 5 checkposts to clear. If it's the Theni route then you will reach Munnar via Chinnakanal where NH49 is narrow in quite a few places, so it's best done during the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks