Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 11:08   #121
Senior - BHPian

Yes, there is a road from Avinashi, thru Palladam to Pollachi. We (when we did the Athirapally trip) took this route.

The road is a 2 way state highway, passing thru some arid places and with quite a few wind mills for company.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:27   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Then what I am referring to is NOT to go to CBE. At Pollachi you take a diversion to Palladam which joins Avinashi directly. As I read, here in this forum, this is a beautiful 2L road with hardly any traffic. This way you bypass CBE.
Maybe I didn't explain well. I don't recommend going to CBE either. I had made a halt @ CBE and drove onwards next afternoon.
My recommendation is to go straight from Udumalpet to Dharapuram which is shorter and does not pass through congestion of Avinashi and the 2-lane stretch of NH47 after going through it.
Old 15th September 2010, 13:07   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Maybe I didn't explain well. I don't recommend going to CBE either. I had made a halt @ CBE and drove onwards next afternoon.
My recommendation is to go straight from Udumalpet to Dharapuram which is shorter and does not pass through congestion of Avinashi and the 2-lane stretch of NH47 after going through it.
Even I took the same route through Dharapuram which you mention for Munnar. But thats when I realized there is an equally good road via Palladam.

By the way to branch at Perindurai, you will have to break from NH47 and go through Perindurai town.

Is it so much of a pain to hit the Palladam road from Avinashi? Do you need to do the 2L NH47 stretch to hit this road?
Old 16th September 2010, 09:37   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even I took the same route through Dharapuram which you mention for Munnar. But thats when I realized there is an equally good road via Palladam.

By the way to branch at Perindurai, you will have to break from NH47 and go through Perindurai town.

Is it so much of a pain to hit the Palladam road from Avinashi? Do you need to do the 2L NH47 stretch to hit this road?
You're right about Perindurai. However, Avinashi is way worse (I remember reading posts by hvkumar to avoid Avinashi). Once I get my GPS tracks from the phone, I'll post more details.
Also, Pollachi-Palladam is 37km longer than Dharapuram route as per Google. There seems to be a Udumalpet -> Palladam direct road which is much shorter though i don't have a clue as to how the road condition is.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:20   #125
Senior - BHPian

I personally would prefer doing Udumalaipettai - Dharapuram - Perundurai. Except for the level crossing for which the over bridge was almost ready when I last visited it has good roads all the way. And crossing through any of the town is not so difficult including Perundurai.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:12   #126
Team-BHP Support

Refer to post #75 and #79 of this thread and comments by Xotiq. This is what I was talking about.

Last edited by ampere : 16th September 2010 at 11:14.
Old 16th September 2010, 12:37   #127
BHPian

Quote:
From Udumalpet there is another option.

Udumalpet-Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi-Salem-BLR

I am told Pollachi-Palladam-Avinashi is a belter and then its 4L.
Ampere,from udumelpett-palladam-Avinashi.No need of going to pollachi as palladam is in udumelpet -pollachi road only

Raj
Old 16th September 2010, 13:07   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
Ampere,from udumelpett-palladam-Avinashi.No need of going to pollachi as palladam is in udumelpet -pollachi road only

Raj
Thanks. Even I thought the same, but was not sure. How are Avinashi and Palladam as a place for small break?
Do you get small hotels around? Clean toilets?

Last edited by ampere : 16th September 2010 at 13:08.
Old 16th September 2010, 14:09   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post

Raj
Raj, you miswrote palladum on udumelpet-pollachi when you meant udumelpat-palladum road ? I did Udumalaipet - Pollachi on the way to Comibatore last Sunday, and Palladam is definitely not on that route. There is another separate route from Udumalpet to Palladum which is the straight road. Else one needs to take NH209 to Pollachi, and then take SH19 to Palladum. Please see the google map below.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries-udumlaipet.jpg  

Last edited by lancer_rit : 16th September 2010 at 14:11.
Old 16th September 2010, 15:05   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Raj, you miswrote palladum on udumelpet-pollachi when you meant udumelpat-palladum road ? I did Udumalaipet - Pollachi on the way to Comibatore last Sunday, and Palladam is definitely not on that route. There is another separate route from Udumalpet to Palladum which is the straight road. Else one needs to take NH209 to Pollachi, and then take SH19 to Palladum. Please see the google map below.
He must have actually meant Udumalaipettai - Avinashi. Palladam certainly does not come between Udumalaipettai & Pollachi.

Edit: Has anyone tried Vijayamangalam - Uthukuli - Tiruppur - Palladam, would it be a viable alternative though if my memory serves correct there is one level crossing which you might get stuck at times.

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 16th September 2010 at 15:07. Reason: Detail asked for.
Old 17th September 2010, 02:00   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Avinashi and some stretch beyond is a pain since there is a lot of traffic on 2-lane undivided highway, and some of it is slow moving.
On my return, I had halted at Coimbatore for some work. Coimbatore-Avinashi was really slow and frustrating.
Definitely, best to do Udumalpet -> Dharapuram -> NH47 -> Salem -> BLR !

@luvurride, there are rough surfaces and some potholes on Mettur -> Bhavani -> NH47 route. Depending on when you are on the stretch, there is a good bit of traffic. Also, I don't think its easy to do this stretch in 70 mins (~77kmph) if one is on it the first time. My GPS tracks indicates an avg speed of ~55kmph.
@lancer_rit - You are right. That is why I said I take this only at nights past 9pm when there is less 2 wheeler traffic and no people to roam on the roads, plus I travel Erode-Blore atleast once or twice in a month, so I'm used to that route, hence the 70mins. btw the 70mins is between Thoppur and Bhavani only.
Old 17th September 2010, 02:08   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Even I thought the same, but was not sure. How are Avinashi and Palladam as a place for small break?
Do you get small hotels around? Clean toilets?
@ampere - There is a BP Company owned outlet on your right just after the 4 lane ends when you drive from Perundurai towards Avinashi. They have clean toilets and good fuel.
Not much of any good hotels in Avinashi and Palladam AFAIK to have clean toilets.
They both are good for tea breaks and small bites, though.
Old 17th September 2010, 02:16   #133
BHPian

Guys, IMO, it is better off to stick to the Udumalpet-Dharapuram-Kangeyam-Perundurai-NH47 route.

The reasons:
1.Dharapuram- you just take the by-pass and skip town traffic.
2.Kangeyam and Perundurai never pose any serious traffic block issues.

Whereas it is most likely you may get into such problems in Palladam and Avinashi.
Old 17th September 2010, 06:36   #134
Team-BHP Support

If there are traffic and road blocks at Avinashi and Palladam, then nothing like Dharapuram. Its a clean road.
Except for that railway over-bridge work at Perindurai, every thing else is fine.
Old 19th September 2010, 15:19   #135
Senior - BHPian

Finally, had a look at the GPS tracks. It seems I was driving @ less than 75kmph for a good ~15km past Avinashi.
So, my guess is that the 4-lane NH47 is atleast 15km past Avinashi out of the 37km to Perundarai.

So, I can recommend the Dharapuram route again :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks