Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 16:17   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The best route to go is Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Bhavani-Avinashi-Palladam-Udumalpettai-Munnar. Have been on this numerous times and with current road conditions this is the best.

There are two routes to go from Avinashi to Palladam. One goes thru Tirupur, one bypasses it. The latter easily saves half an hour.

Last time I did Blore-Munnar in 7 odd hours following the above route. Cheers!
Hey thanks for confirming that. Most folks on this forum take the Dharapuram route.
Hence after Praful took off, I thought why not Avinashi. That is when I realized that this may also be a good option.
This also is the same route for Valparai (via Pollachi).
Old 6th July 2010, 16:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I went at least 3 km ahead and had to come back! I was saved because I had marked Perindurai in my Garmin. Hence I knew for sure, that I had gone past.

The rain-radius seems to be apt.

"Get into the ring, enjoy the climate and come out!"
Perfect ! Because its that radius which is the most stunning.

Meanwhile I also did one more homework. The Perindurai/Dharapuram route was favoured, as the 4L was not complete.
Now that it is so, would it not be more logical to go all the way till Avinashi, then go via Tiruppur, Palladam, Gudimangalam and to Udumalpettai. Have folks tried this option?

Here is the google link:

Bengaluru, Karnataka to Munnar, Kerala - Google Maps
Actually time taken should nearly be the same right as the post Avinashi its going to be the same single lane highway??

Quote:
The best route to go is Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Salem-Bhavani-Avinashi-Palladam-Udumalpettai-Munnar. Have been on this numerous times and with current road conditions this is the best.

There are two routes to go from Avinashi to Palladam. One goes thru Tirupur, one bypasses it. The latter easily saves half an hour.

Last time I did Blore-Munnar in 7 odd hours following the above route. Cheers!
7 Hours!!! Where you flying or driving?

Damn! I'm slow.

Psst: I spotted some vehicle from Toyota being tested on the Dharapuram stretch. Looked like a new Innova, when I tried to catch up they just flew off. Easily doing speeds more than 150!
Old 6th July 2010, 17:34   #78
Team-BHP Support

Guys I just checked. Perindurai to Udumalpet distance is almost the same (110Km) either way (Take Avinashi or via Kangeyam). Its just that one drives 40Km more on GQ, which may reduce the travel time a bit.

How is the road from Avinashi to Uduamlpet? The Kangeyam/Dharapuram stretch is very good. Also any decent hotels between Avinashi to Udumalpet? You will hit the luch hour in that stretch for sure. (As is the case with Kangeyam/Dharapuram stretch, where you dont have good hotels)
Old 6th July 2010, 21:42   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I just checked. Perindurai to Udumalpet distance is almost the same (110Km) either way (Take Avinashi or via Kangeyam). Its just that one drives 40Km more on GQ, which may reduce the travel time a bit.

How is the road from Avinashi to Uduamlpet? The Kangeyam/Dharapuram stretch is very good. Also any decent hotels between Avinashi to Udumalpet? You will hit the luch hour in that stretch for sure. (As is the case with Kangeyam/Dharapuram stretch, where you dont have good hotels)
Lovely road - it was brand new when I traveled in april this year and had amazing scenery - windmill farms. Most of that stretch I was doing 130'ish speeds. There aren't any nice food places between Avinashi and Udumalpettai. Its best to reach Udumalpettai which has some reasonable eating places.

@Praful : I was doing 150+ almost the entire distance between Avinashi and Krishnagiri. Roads are mostly empty and absolutely flat with 2km+ visibility.

Before people crucify me for the speeds, let me tell you in these conditions and my car - a cedia with ad07, 150 is not dangerous. If I were in an indica with stock tires, I'd dare not do more than 80-90.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 6th July 2010 at 21:56.
Old 6th July 2010, 22:01   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lovely road - it was brand new when I traveled in april this year and had amazing scenery - windmill farms. Most of that stretch I was doing 130'ish speeds. There aren't any nice food places between Avinashi and Udumalpettai. Its best to reach Udumalpettai which has some reasonable eating places.
You mean to say, one can do speed>100 on the Avinashi/Udumalpet road?
That really speaks high about its conditions. Wow!

How about my hotel question? Any places to eat?
Old 6th July 2010, 22:48   #81
Senior - BHPian

Its a single lane road but super wide and butter smooth.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:08   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its a single lane road but super wide and butter smooth.
Will try it the next time we go there. Thanks for the update.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:14   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Will try it the next time we go there. Thanks for the update.
Had to attend a marriage at Adimaly (28kms from Munnar), so it was a hectic drive. ECity to Munnar drive details below-

1> ECity to Munnar- 6hrs28mts- Non Stop-410.1km
2> Munnar to Adimaly- 0hrs46mts-

Thro Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpettai.

I had tracked the route by GPS while going to Munnar, below link shows info abt the drive / route / places where you can maintain speeds above 80 etc.

Nokia Sports Tracker Beta
Old 8th July 2010, 06:20   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Had to attend a marriage at Adimaly (28kms from Munnar), so it was a hectic drive. ECity to Munnar drive details below-

1> ECity to Munnar- 6hrs28mts- Non Stop-410.1km
2> Munnar to Adimaly- 0hrs46mts-

The distance of 410 seems very low. It should be in the range of 480-490.
Is it not? 6.5 hours, is exceptional timing! You were flying with speeds no less than 120!!
Old 8th July 2010, 08:31   #85
BHPian

Quote:
The distance of 410 seems very low. It should be in the range of 480-490.
Is it not? 6.5 hours, is exceptional timing! You were flying with speeds no less than 120!!
From Blr proper to Munnar, its not a km more than 445 by the route i took. I have clearly mentioned that i started tracking from Electronic City.

Have a look at the attached GPS track to find answers for your question. I dont think i can fix the satellites.
Old 8th July 2010, 09:20   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
From Blr proper to Munnar, its not a km more than 445 by the route i took. I have clearly mentioned that i started tracking from Electronic City.

Have a look at the attached GPS track to find answers for your question. I dont think i can fix the satellites.
I think the issue Metur Vs. Salem. Salem route would add another 40Km extra.
Old 8th July 2010, 09:36   #87
BHPian

Quote:
I think the issue Metur Vs. Salem. Salem route would add another 40Km extra.
Possible, thats one reason i avoided salem. We hardly encountered any traffic on the mettur route..(around 4-5 am..) and could easily maintain consistent speeds without putting ourselves or others on the road at risk..!!
Old 8th July 2010, 09:50   #88
Senior - BHPian

Have they redone the mettur road or is it still in a potholed state?
Old 8th July 2010, 09:57   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is why I always thought its better to take GQ all the way (either till Perindurai or Avinashi) before deviating for Valparai/Munnar.

Mettur route was taken only because either one wants change of road or visit the dam or NH47 four-laning was not complete.
Old 8th July 2010, 09:57   #90
BHPian

Quote:
I traveled around 2 months back on this route, and we were maintaining avg of 70+ on this route till bhavani.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks