Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2008, 00:10   #31
BHPian

I am planning to drive up to Munnar on 10th.My plan to is to be there for 3 days (visit Munnar, Idukki and Thekkady). I would like to know how is the climate there now.Is it raining too much (totally unfit for a trip as I am travelling with my 2 yr old daughter) ?
Old 9th September 2008, 01:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Been raining heavily in the High Ranges of Kerala resulting in landslides and road closures in several places. But rains should ease up and roads functional, since I believe that restoration works are in full swing.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:46   #33
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Munnar this weekend (plus Monday).

I would like to take two different routes - one for getting to Munnar and the other return to Bangalore. Here is what I am after:

a) Quick Route - good roads, good places to eat, does not have to be scenic. Emphasis is on mile-crunching. For this, I am thinking of:
Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - THoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet - Chinnar - Munnar

b) A scenic route - Scenic, good roads, good chance of sighting wildlife, good place to stay if required. For this, I am thinking of:
Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Chamrajnagar - Thimbam - Sathy - Coimbatore - Pollachi - Udumalapettai - Munnar

What do you guys think about the route chosen? What is the current condition of these roads?

Some considerations:
  1. I am planning to leave Bangalore at 4AM on Saturday morning or even 6PM on Friday
  2. Prefer to reach Munnar atleast by 2PM on Saturday
  3. I will be doing the trip in my Honda Civic shod with 17 inch wheels, so roads need to be moderately good
Old 8th July 2009, 12:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
a) Quick Route - good roads, good places to eat, does not have to be scenic. Emphasis is on mile-crunching. For this, I am thinking of:
Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - THoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet - Chinnar - Munnar
I think easily would be the quickest route to Munnar, incidentally you would cross through the Indira Gandhi WLS between Udumalai pet & Marayoor.

Quote:
b) A scenic route - Scenic, good roads, good chance of sighting wildlife, good place to stay if required. For this, I am thinking of:
Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Chamrajnagar - Thimbam - Sathy - Coimbatore - Pollachi - Udumalapettai - Munnar
This would certainly be a bad option as the roads between Nanjangud - Thimbam were not in great shape till recently, I doubt if they have changed. Though the route passes through forest I doubt if you would see any wildlife.

Better option for you, even if its slightly longer, is to go all the way to Bandipur, Mudumalai and then either go onto Ooty via either Kalhatti ghats or Gudalur come down via Kotagiri, Mettupalayam, Coimbatore and then onwards to Pollachi. Keep in mind that you would spend a lot of time covering Mettupalayam to Pollachi as the entire stretch has heavy to very heavy traffic in all forms. Alternatively you could go straight to Tiruppur from Mettupalayam via Annur then onto Pollachi via Palladam which would be longer but less sternous than going via Coimbatore.

If you leave at around 6 PM on Friday you could stay overnight at MC Resort in Bandipur and opt for a morning safari either at Bandipur or Mudumalai and then continue onwards to Ooty.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What do you guys think about the route chosen? What is the current condition of these roads?

Some considerations:
  1. I am planning to leave Bangalore at 4AM on Saturday morning or even 6PM on Friday
  2. Prefer to reach Munnar atleast by 2PM on Saturday
  3. I will be doing the trip in my Honda Civic shod with 17 inch wheels, so roads need to be moderately good
Route a is the choice. its 470km from silkboard to munnar in this route.
i have recently done this route in my civic, the roads are good for the car.

Be careful only just after perundurai where they are constructin a flyover over a railway line. The area is around 100m. Drive carefully not to scrape. Thats pretty much it. Rest is good drive. Chiinar road is narrow and patchy.

regarding time taken(i'll keep higher figures) - Munnar to udulmalpettu is around 3.5 hours. Bangalore to Perundurai is around 4hours. Perundurai to udumalpettu around 2hours. So I guess leaving at 4Am should keep your target. Night driving is also ok if you hit udumalpettu by day break.

Now NH takes a byepass away from perundurai, so keep a watch on the NH after Bhavani road joins in. there is a board saying perundurai 4km. Take that left turn on the NH and come to a junction where you have to take a right. Keep going straight in this road(old NH). You'll see a junction and go straight, right is to coimbatore.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:46   #36
BHPian

Thanks Srikanth and laluks for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I think easily would be the quickest route to Munnar, incidentally you would cross through the Indira Gandhi WLS between Udumalai pet & Marayoor
Yup, we came through this route while returning from the Munnar OTR. Very quick and scenic too at some parts. I will take route-a whilst going to Munnar and may be the same route returning too.

Quote:
Better option for you, even if its slightly longer, is to go all the way to Bandipur, Mudumalai and then either go onto ...
Nice to know about the Bandipur- Mudumalai route. I have been to Ooty once, but can't remember whether it was via Gudalur or Kalhatti ghats? Which route would you recommend? But if it is gonna save time, is there a way I can avoid Ooty in this route? If any one has a log, what would be the approximate total distance covered if I take
Bangalore - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Ooty -Kotagiri - Mettupalayam - Annur - Tiruppur - Palladum - Pollachi

Quote:
If you leave at around 6 PM on Friday you could stay overnight at MC Resort in Bandipur and opt for a morning safari either at Bandipur or Mudumalai and then continue onwards to Ooty.
I wish I could do that. But, I have only three days planned and a hotel booking starting Saturday noon to Monday noon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Be careful only just after perundurai where they are constructin a flyover over a railway line. The area is around 100m. Drive carefully not to scrape. Thats pretty much it.

Now NH takes a byepass away from perundurai, so keep a watch on the NH after Bhavani road joins in....right is to coimbatore.
Thanks mate, will keep these in mind.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Try this road, I take this road very frequently and found to be short and good. Roads are good, but it is raining in the highranges and a land slide can happen in Marayur -> Munnar stretch anytime. Rains are best enjoyed in Munnar if you don't plan for much of moving around (it rains without a break) and be warned nights will be cold.

Bangalore - Salem - - Perundurai (or via Mettur if you wish)
From Perundurai after 10 Kms - take left from Vijayamangalam to Tirupur (via Oothukuli Road). Keep and eye on odo for 10 Kms since Vijayamangaalam is a very small town and with the new NH widening is easy to miss.

From Tirupur - Via Palladam - Udumelpettai - Tirupur town is confusing and has got no proper boards. Ask for directions and try to take the byepass (sort of ring road around Tirupur town) to Palladam.

From Udumelpettai - Chinnar Wild life santuary- Marayur - Munnar (Light vehicle traffic not advised through Chinnar after 7 pm)

(Bangalore - Salem - Approx.190kms)
(Salem to Tirupur -Approx.110 Kms)
(Tirupur To Udumelpetta - Approx.50 Kms)
(Udumelpetta to Munnar - Approx.90 Kms)

Last edited by gadadhar : 8th July 2009 at 14:51. Reason: typo
Old 8th July 2009, 18:33   #38
BHPian

You can also go upto Avanashi from Perundurai and take a left to Palladam then onto Udumalaipet. I found the roads to be better than one via Dharapuram. Perundurai to Avanashi stretch is 40% four lane and rest really wide two lane.

I would suggest to avoid Salem and go via Mettur. Bhavani-Salem section was a mess in May, must be worse now.
Old 8th July 2009, 19:35   #39
BHPian

Probably option no A (Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet - Chinnar - Munnar) will be the quick route. Watch carefully at perundurai NH junction cos lot of road work is going on. i have missed this place and travelled around 15kms more also you need to be care full between Dharapuram and Udumalpet due to narrow roads.

If you want to take option B then there will be another short cut and hope this will help you.

Bangalore - Maddur - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Thimbam - Sathy - Annur - Avinashi - Palladam - Udumalapettai - Munnar.

Maddur - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar stretch is bad but still managable.
Old 9th July 2009, 10:15   #40
BHPian

Thanks for all your inputs

Some change in plans - I am leaving for Munnar today evening 6PM itself instead of tomorrow at 6PM. Return - I will start from Munnar on Sunday morning.

I will take Route A (Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet - Chinnar - Munnar). Regarding the return route: If I am able to start early I take Route-B (Munnar - Udumalapettai -Palladam - Avinashi -Annur -Sathy -Thimbam -Chamrajnagar -Kollegal -Maddur -Bangalore ) . Otherwise, it will be route A itself.

Now, I need help regarding places to stay in Route A. I plan to cover atleast 200-250 km before a night halt at some motel. Kindly, suggest some places around the 200 km mark from Bangalore to Munnar.
Old 9th July 2009, 10:21   #41
BHPian

Please be careful while doing Chinnar Munnar in early mornings as tuskers can come in your way.
Old 9th July 2009, 10:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Please be careful while doing Chinnar Munnar in early mornings as tuskers can come in your way.
Thanks joecherian. I shall plan my return accordingly. Still, if I encounter tuskers, I hope to remember and practice what I read here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...val-guide.html
Old 9th July 2009, 12:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hi Santosh you could still look at going via Mysore - Gudalur - Ooty, possibly stay at Mudumalai, since its a weekday you would certainly get accomodation. Since you are starting around 6 PM from Bangalore you would reach Bandipur around 10 PM which could give you some wonderful sightings in the forest though you may not be able to photograph the animals.

Balan who is a member of Tbhp has this property just outside Mudumalai on the Gudalur side. You could stay overnight here and then possibly continue onwards to Ooty without taking a morning safari so that you reach Munnar around 1 PM. Bandipur Mudumalai Affordable Accommodation | Indian Wildlife Sanctuary Tour | Wildlife Safari India
Old 10th July 2009, 17:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

Can any one give a comparison between Perundurai -> Vijayamangalam ->Tirupur -> Palladam -> Udumalpet route VS Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet. I have taken Tirupur route many times and had found all good except for the time lost in Tirupur (thorugh ring road) but had never tried through Dharapuram.
Old 13th July 2009, 13:26   #45
BHPian

Thanks again everyone for your guidance.

I am back from Munnar and ready to make suggestions on Bangalore->Munnar->Bangalore routes .

While going to Munnar, I took: Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Avnashi - Tirupur - Udumalpet - Chinnar - Munnar (Total of 470km on my odo)

My observations:
  • Bangalore to Dharmapuri : Fantastic roads, no issues whatsoever
  • Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai: Roads are moderate but heavy traffic as this road saves around 30 km when compared to Dharamapuri-Salem-Perundurai route
  • Perundurai-Tirupur: Good Roads, but heavy traffic. Tirupur town has almost no directions and can easily take 45 minutes to cross. I wish Tirupur had a bypass
  • Udmalpet-Chinnar: There is a bridge construction/repair going on and traffic is diverted through another route. Directions are placed at several places , so no problems
On my way back, I took a slightly different route:
Munnar - Chinnar - Udmalpet - Palladum - Tirupur(did not enter town) - Kangayam - Perundarai - Salem - Dharmapuri - Kirhsnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore (498 km on my odo)

My observations:
  • Tirupur - Kangayam - Pernundarai: 99% was excellent roads, very little traffic. You will be covering around 8 to 10 km more when compared to going through Tirupur to Perundarai but it is well worth it. As a bonus, you also save Rs.30 by not having to pay a toll fee.
  • Perundarai - Salem - Road-widening but fast moving traffic
Overall, I feel the two deviations that I took were worthwhile as I could drive at over 70kmph and also not have to ask for directions every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Can any one give a comparison between Perundurai -> Vijayamangalam ->Tirupur -> Palladam -> Udumalpet route VS Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet. I have taken Tirupur route many times and had found all good except for the time lost in Tirupur (thorugh ring road) but had never tried through Dharapuram.
gadadhar, try the route Udmalpet - Palldamum -Tirupur(do not enter town) - Kangayam - Perundarai. I saw boards to 'Dharapuram' but I did not have to go through Dharapuram.
S@~+#0$# is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks