Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 17:21   #781
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
+1 exactly... to ampere, I was about to suggest that only, but just held back. You can take the same route suggested by NPV (upto Theni) but towards Thekkady first, stay at KTDC Periyar house, do the first boating next morning and then drive to Munnar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Or the other option is head directly to Thekkady first. Finish the boating the next day morning and drive to Munnar by evening.
Thanks guys,
I already have booking in Munnar for 4 days and cannot change them and was keeping Thekkady as an option for a day visit, and not a must do option. What else can be done in a day, keeping Munnar as the base?
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 17:42   #782
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Thanks guys,
I already have booking in Munnar for 4 days and cannot change them and was keeping Thekkady as an option for a day visit, and not a must do option. What else can be done in a day, keeping Munnar as the base?
Munnar is more of a place to chill out and not do anything! Thats the best thing you can do.

Soak into the place amidst the tea gardens. Take long walks etc. Very much needed for a stress buster.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 17:52   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Munnar is more of a place to chill out and not do anything! Thats the best thing you can do.

Soak into the place amidst the tea gardens. Take long walks etc. Very much needed for a stress buster.
That is exactly what I had in my mind when I planned the trip. Chill out and let the missus also relax without having to worry about anything.

I am hoping the climate would be good at this time of the year.
Old 25th March 2014, 18:14   #784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is exactly what I had in my mind when I planned the trip. Chill out and let the missus also relax without having to worry about anything.
If your journey is through Munnar - Chinnar - Udumelpetai route do visit Marayoor dolmens, it is only couple of KM's off the route and view from there is great. You can get the details and pics of the place in my travelogue.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 18:19   #785
BHPian

Quote:

I am hoping the climate would be good at this time of the year.
I had been to Munnar during January, 2014 and I would like to mention that the place has become too commercialized now like Ooty and Kodai. The Munnar I know of early 2000 was different than what it is now. Too much of crowd. Surprised to know that they started collecting entry fee now for Eravikulam National Park too and there is a long queue out there if you fail to get your entry token at Munnar Forest Department Office at Munnar town itself. And the other major issue is distance between various visit-worthy spots from the town. Best option would be just to relax at the Hotel. If you love lazy walking inside the forest, you may spend half a day at Shola rain forest beyond Top station. And, Chinnar route is actually dry now because of lack of rain last year.
Old 25th March 2014, 18:49   #786
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
I had been to Munnar during January, 2014 and I would like to mention that the place has become too commercialized now like Ooty and Kodai.

Agreed. But I think there still exist places which are far flung, like the estate bungalows which can still endow you with the bliss of solitude. You just need to find such a place.
Old 26th March 2014, 11:07   #787
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Below is the route I am decided on. Google maps also shows this as the faster of the routes as I would be staying in Sterling.
For the return leg if you are not hard pressed for time, you can even try Munnar Town-Marayoor-Udumalaipet-Dharapuram-Kangeyam-Perundurai (NH47)-Salem (NH7)-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore.

*Udumalaipet has a crocodile rearing centre also near Amaravathi Dam, I haven't visited the place yet.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 15:54   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For the return leg if you are not hard pressed for time, you can even try Munnar Town-Marayoor-Udumalaipet-Dharapuram-Kangeyam-Perundurai (NH47)-Salem (NH7)-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore.

*Udumalaipet has a crocodile rearing centre also near Amaravathi Dam, I haven't visited the place yet.
Thanks NPV, that is the plan for now, to take the other route while coming back.
Old 26th March 2014, 18:33   #789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks NPV, that is the plan for now, to take the other route while coming back.
It makes sense to take the Udumalpet route while coming back. Because you will enough time in the morning till drive to Udumalpet and you can afford to reach home late. But you do want to do that while going to Munnar.
Old 30th March 2014, 11:19   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Moved you question here.

You have two routes:

1, Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal-Munnar.
Brilliant roads till Theni.
2. Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram (Or Avinashi/Palldam) - Udumalpettai-Marayaoor-Munnar.
This has 90km of ghat roads from Udumalpet to Munnar.

I suggest you do option one when you go and option two when you come back. Because you will stop many a times to snap on the way to Udumalpet.
Trip is finalized as: Blore-Munnar-Thekkady-Blore. Acco has been reserved at Pallivasal and Thekkady.
1. Since plan for first day is to just reach Pallivasal resort and also since I'll be driving down to Thekkady later, is second option better for the Blore-Munnar leg? i.e Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpettai-Marayaoor-Pallivasal. How much time I should budget for this option?

2. Pallivasal to Thekkady: Google shows the following route: Pallivasal-Chithirapuram-Vellathooval-Konnathady-Erattayar-Kattappana-Anavilasam-Kumily-Thekkady-Aranya Nivas. Is this the route I should be taking?
Old 30th March 2014, 16:12   #791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
2. Pallivasal to Thekkady: Google shows the following route: Pallivasal-Chithirapuram-Vellathooval-Konnathady-Erattayar-Kattappana-Anavilasam-Kumily-Thekkady-Aranya Nivas. Is this the route I should be taking?
I had taken that route in Oct 13. You can visit Idukki dam also en-route, however the road was not in good condition.
Sorry not sure of condition now though.
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:03   #792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
You can also try :

Pallivasal-Adimali-Iddukki-Kattapana-Puliyanmala-Kumily-Thekkady.

If the direct route to Idduki is not good, Adimali roundabout may be an option.
Old 7th April 2014, 00:11   #793
BHPian

Starting day after tomorrow early morning for Devonshire in Munnar. Went through last a few pages of this thread to read the current road conditions, still want to confirm: is my best bet for onward journey is Bangalore - Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Munnar? And return via Udhumalpet - Dharmapuram - Erode - Salem - Bangalore? When should I start (is 5am ok? I tend to keep my speed to double digits)? What's my best bet for lunch (n.v. is ok)? And I need a tank fill on the way ... would Salem/Dindigul be best suited for that? Should we approach forest dept in Munnar town a-priori for visiting Chinnar/Anaimalai? What else I need to be aware of to make the trip hassle free? Psssst, is there a short drive through trail -- the kid gets ecstatic in a narrow/secluded forest/hill stretch.
Old 7th April 2014, 06:27   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Starting day after tomorrow early morning for Devonshire in Munnar. Went through last a few pages of this thread to read the current road conditions, still want to confirm: is my best bet for onward journey is Bangalore - Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Munnar? And return via Udhumalpet - Dharmapuram - Erode - Salem - Bangalore? When should I start (is 5am ok? I tend to keep my speed to double digits)? What's my best bet for lunch (n.v. is ok)? And I need a tank fill on the way ... would Salem/Dindigul be best suited for that? Should we approach forest dept in Munnar town a-priori for visiting Chinnar/Anaimalai? What else I need to be aware of to make the trip hassle free? Psssst, is there a short drive through trail -- the kid gets ecstatic in a narrow/secluded forest/hill stretch.
Things to watch out: Podimettu road was in bad shape during my January trip due to road widening work. Till Dindigul, you can expect decent food options. No prior forest department approvals required for journeys.

No short motor trips inside forest other than those permitted. But can do a trek inside shola forest near Top Station at Munnar, depending on the age of the kid. With prior booking at Munnar, can do a trek to Thuvaanam water falls or some cultural sites at Chinnar sanctuary or stay at log houses for a night. Have a great day with your family.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 21:20   #795

Dear Folks,

Am planning to drive to Munnar next week and have extensively gone through this thread and got almost all the information I needed.

As most folks have suggested, I am planning to take the Blr->Salem->Dindigul->theni->Bodinayakanur->Chinnakanal route as my destination is Club Mahindra.

I am leaving on a weekday evening around 4:00 PM so am considering a halt at Salem or thereabouts.

Kindly suggest a good hotel in Salem for a night halt. Am traveling with 2 kids ( < 10 yrs). Prefer something around NH7.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks