Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 12:24   #811
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshumara View Post
Just out of curiocity...... I have heard there is a non-existent route from Kodai to Munnar via Palani Hills Forests, Kurinjimala Forests, Anamudi Forests and Kannan Devan Hills Forests / Pamba Reserve Forest.....

Is this doable? Does it need some special permissions from TN / KL Forest / Police Dept?
That used to be a SH, which the govt. stopped ages back. Now forest dept does not allow. Even if it allows its quite a harsh terrain.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 13:08   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Just out of curiocity...... I have heard there is a non-existent route from Kodai to Munnar via Palani Hills Forests, Kurinjimala Forests, Anamudi Forests and Kannan Devan Hills Forests / Pamba Reserve Forest.....

Is this doable? Does it need some special permissions from TN / KL Forest / Police Dept?
The route you have referred here starts from Top Station and ends at Berijam Lake! Motoring not allowed inside the forest. But, if you are interested, you can take the help of forest guards at the Chola Rain Forest gates and trek inside the forest! Real eerie experience!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 13:17   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There was never a road,it was just a OTR trail,but it was called SH81 and was the highest road in South India..The route has been long closed(in 92 or so) and is now open for trekkers with special permissions which hardly come by.Its very isolated.It was primarily closed to deter ganja cultivation in the area.The trail runs from Top Station in Munnar to Berijam Lake in Kodai and onwards.You can reach Berijam Lake from Kodai with permissions from the forest dept which are given out daily at Kodai.

At Top Station you would still find the milestone which indicates Kodai as 60kms.

There was a new route being developed via Vattavada-Kilavarai,but havent heard of anything.There was a bus service between Kodai and Kilavarai and between Munnar and Vattavada.But there is/was no connectivity between Kilavarai and Vattavada which is approximately 15kms of pristine forests.

The new route that was proposed and even construction was ongoing would take the Munnar-Koviloor-Vattavada-Kadavari-Kilavarai-Kodai alignment.Would be an amazing route if developed but at what cost is anyone' guess.

Kadavari is the last Kerala village and Kilavarai is the first TN village(more of rural settlements)(am open to being corrected!).

Presently Kadaveri to Kilavarai is just a horsepath used by farmers to take carrots,cabbages etc to Kodai markets.Kadavari was a haven for ganja cultivators,and with no road access it was impossible for any law enforcement agencies to reach there and hence the need to make roads into that area.Most of the cultivation is gone but I guess there must be pockets even now.

The new route if it ever happens should cut down the distance between Kodai and Munnar by close to 100kms.It is now approx 200kms.

This is the intended route.

https://goo.gl/maps/Rp8m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
The route you have referred here starts from Top Station and ends at Berijam Lake! Motoring not allowed inside the forest. But, if you are interested, you can take the help of forest guards at the Chola Rain Forest gates and trek inside the forest! Real eerie experience!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That used to be a SH, which the govt. stopped ages back. Now forest dept does not allow. Even if it allows its quite a harsh terrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Shimshumara, As far as i know, this route has been closed for quite some time now. This is known to have reduced the travel time by 50 odd kms, but this is not motor-able and has been closed.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 16th July 2014 at 13:24.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 16:46   #814
BHPian

I have to go to Kottayam to attend a function and then return to Bangalore via Munnar.

Which would be the best and scenic route to Munnar from Kottayam?

1. Kottayam - Kothamangalam - Munnar
2. Kottayam - Anavilasam - Kattappana - Munnar
3. Kottayam - Anavilasam - Kattappana - Nedumkandam - Udumbanchola - Devikulam - Munnar

Please suggest?

Would driving back via Chinnar to Bangalore would be the best option?

Should we need to be careful about animals in either of the routes?
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:01   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
I have to go to Kottayam to attend a function and then return to Bangalore via Munnar.

Which would be the best and scenic route to Munnar from Kottayam?

1. Kottayam - Kothamangalam - Munnar
2. Kottayam - Anavilasam - Kattappana - Munnar
3. Kottayam - Anavilasam - Kattappana - Nedumkandam - Udumbanchola - Devikulam - Munnar

Please suggest?

Would driving back via Chinnar to Bangalore would be the best option?

Should we need to be careful about animals in either of the routes?
Kottayam-Muvvattupuzha-Kothamangalam-Adimali-Munnar would be the best route.

Chinnar route is fine.There might be elephant herds crossing the road at times between Munnar and Udumulpet.Nothing alarming.
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:21   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Kottayam-Muvvattupuzha-Kothamangalam-Adimali-Munnar would be the best route.

Chinnar route is fine.There might be elephant herds crossing the road at times between Munnar and Udumulpet.Nothing alarming.
Thanks a lot Ranjit.

I have heard a lot about Thekkady - Munnar route, that it is very scenic and fun to drive. Is it the one mentioned as route 3 in my post? Just curious. Is this the route via which we could see the Idukki Dam?
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:56   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
Thanks a lot Ranjit.

I have heard a lot about Thekkady - Munnar route, that it is very scenic and fun to drive. Is it the one mentioned as route 3 in my post? Just curious. Is this the route via which we could see the Idukki Dam?
Yes the kattapana route is where you can see the Idukki dam from Kalvari Mount view point.The view comes on the Kattapana-Thodupuzha route,so a slight deviation from your suggested route

I have marked the point on the map for you https://goo.gl/maps/zke6U

You can google for Kalvari Mount Views for some amazing pictures.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 19:41   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes the kattapana route is where you can see the Idukki dam from Kalvari Mount view point.The view comes on the Kattapana-Thodupuzha route,so a slight deviation from your suggested route

I have marked the point on the map for you https://goo.gl/maps/zke6U

You can google for Kalvari Mount Views for some amazing pictures.
Thanks a lot Ranjit, this is of great help.
Old 1st August 2014, 21:51   #819
BHPian

Guys, planning a trip to munnar. I know the route is already discussed to death on this thread but there are several options mentioned all through the thread. This is the route I am looking to take.

In short: Bangalore - Salem - Bhavani - Palladam - Udumalapet - Chinnar - Munnar.

Is this the best route? Are all roads until Udumalapet 4 lane highway?

By the way, I am driving an Alto K10. Is it do-able on my car?

Please help.

Last edited by veyron_head : 1st August 2014 at 21:55.
Old 1st August 2014, 21:56   #820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
In short: Bangalore - Salem - Bhavani - Palladam - Udumalapet - Chinnar - Munnar.Is this the best route? Are all roads until Udumalapet 4 lane highway?

By the way, I am driving an Alto K10. Is it do-able on my car?

Please help.
It is the best route, but a correction: You have to go via Poppara.

Route Link

Any car can make it to Munnar. No issues what so ever.
Old 1st August 2014, 22:23   #821
BHPian

Quote:
It is the best route, but a correction: You have to go via Poppara.

Route Link

Any car can make it to Munnar. No issues what so ever.
Hi Ampere, Thanks much.

Where exactly is this poppara, Cudn't find it in the link.
Old 1st August 2014, 22:28   #822
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Hi Ampere, Thanks much.

Where exactly is this poppara, Cudn't find it in the link.
Here you go:

You original link did not trace NH49 around this point. Hence wanted to mention that. Thats all.
Old 1st August 2014, 23:18   #823
BHPian

Quote:
You original link did not trace NH49 around this point. Hence wanted to mention that. Thats all.
Ampere, How about the Dindigal - Bodi - Munnar option? Is the chinnar route a better option

Edit - Slow realization, your link is pointing to the route via Bodi, popara

Last edited by RSimonS : 1st August 2014 at 23:20.
Old 2nd August 2014, 07:13   #824
BHPian

Poopara is on Theni-Bodi-Munnar route. You may take chinnar-munnar for one way just for the sake of enjoying the forest route.
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:04   #825
BHPian

Friends, I am planning a trip to Munnar for the 15th Aug long weekend. As i have previously done this trip via Salem Dindigul Theni Bodi route, want to do the Kanakpura, Chamarajanagar, Udumalapet Munnar, CM (Chinnakanal). I would like to reach Club Mahindra by 1:30 PM. Plan to leave by 4:30 AM.

A start at 4:30 would mean that we could be in Chamarajanagar by 7 (?). Is Nijaguna Residency a good place for breakfast?

Can i reach Munnar by 1:30 if i take this route? In case i am delayed, which is a good place for Lunch?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks