Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 12:20   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@cool_dube, I remember there was TL from a member who's relative actually studied Engineering in Munnar!
Thanks ampere. I vaguely remember reading this travelogue sometime back. Devikulam - Idukki road is now on my to-do list

Quote:
Also as Ramesh mentioned, good to avoid Avinashi and go via Udumalpet-Dharapuram-Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem-Bangalore.
Will keep that in mind - thanks again! How about connecting to NH7 south of Salem and driving north instead of coming via NH47? Any feasible options?

Couple of other queries:

* I see in Google Maps that while driving from Theni to Munnar on NH49 there is a road that goes right shortly after Bodi Mettu to Suryaneli/Chinnakanal. Any idea about this road? I am actually headed to Club Mahindra Resort in Chinnakanal.

* Anyone tried driving to Kolukkumalai Tea Estate of late? How are the road conditions?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cool_dube : 1st August 2011 at 12:22.
Old 1st August 2011, 13:03   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
How about connecting to NH7 south of Salem and driving north instead of coming via NH47? Any feasible options?

Couple of other queries:

* I see in Google Maps that while driving from Theni to Munnar on NH49 there is a road that goes right shortly after Bodi Mettu to Suryaneli/Chinnakanal. Any idea about this road? I am actually headed to Club Mahindra Resort in Chinnakanal.

* Anyone tried driving to Kolukkumalai Tea Estate of late? How are the road conditions?

Thanks in advance!
If you want to come to Munnar without going the way to Dindigul/Theni, then you can also turn off NH7 immediately after the Kaveri Bridge (before Karur) at Pugalur and go via Kodumudi to Dharapuram & Udumalaipet. Lovely roads, I took this route from Munnar to Madras a couple of months ago.

The Bodi Medu-Suryanelli-Chinnakanal is the kind of road which even the local M&M Major 4WD drivers shudder at. It connects with Kolukkumalai too, always a 4WD track!
Old 1st August 2011, 14:05   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks ampere. I vaguely remember reading this travelogue sometime back. Devikulam - Idukki road is now on my to-do list

Will keep that in mind - thanks again! How about connecting to NH7 south of Salem and driving north instead of coming via NH47? Any feasible options?

Couple of other queries:

Thanks in advance!
Here is a thread dedicated to it!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1927888

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you want to come to Munnar without going the way to Dindigul/Theni, then you can also turn off NH7 immediately after the Kaveri Bridge (before Karur) at Pugalur and go via Kodumudi to Dharapuram & Udumalaipet. Lovely roads, I took this route from Munnar to Madras a couple of months ago.

The Bodi Medu-Suryanelli-Chinnakanal is the kind of road which even the local M&M Major 4WD drivers shudder at. It connects with Kolukkumalai too, always a 4WD track!
On the usage of NH7 versus NH47. You dont gain much I would say. Perundurai/NH47 is equally good as NH7.
If you come down via Marayaoor/Chinnar, its equally good to take the Perundurai road also.
Old 1st August 2011, 18:06   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Ampere, the bridge mentioned in that thread is not on the Bodimettu-Suryanelli route nor on the Kolukkumalai route. It is further south - just off the Pooppara-Rajakkad-Adimali section (through which you can actually bypass Munnar if travelling from Theni to Cochin on NH-49).

To cool_dube : I drove on the road from Chinnakkanal to Suryanelli (and a few kms further to a friend's estate down that road) a couple of years back, and it is quite narrow and scary to drive on - especially in the monsoons. I'd think the road would probably be much worse from there to Bodimettu.

And as HVK said, the Kolukkumalai road is strictly 4WD territory based on reports from friends who live in that locality (I've never driven that way).

Quote:
On the usage of NH7 versus NH47. You dont gain much I would say. Perundurai/NH47 is equally good as NH7.
If you come down via Marayaoor/Chinnar, its equally good to take the Perundurai road also.
Actually going via NH7-Theni-Bodi-Pooppara-Chinnakkanal makes a lot of sense if your destination happens to be the Club Mahindra (which is on the Chinnakkanal-Suryanelli road). You can save yourselves the 18 kms drive from Munnar to Chinnakkanal which would be additional in case you're coming via Marayoor. Those hilly stretches can be very strenuous to drive when you're on the last leg of a long journey.

So if you do want to take the Marayoor-Chinnar route, it might be much better to do it on the way back from Munnar.
Old 1st August 2011, 18:21   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Ampere, the bridge mentioned in that thread is not on the Bodimettu-Suryanelli route nor on the Kolukkumalai route. It is further south - just off the Pooppara-Rajakkad-Adimali section (through which you can actually bypass Munnar if travelling from Theni to Cochin on NH-49).
Thanks I mistook them the same.

Quote:
Actually going via NH7-Theni-Bodi-Pooppara-Chinnakkanal makes a lot of sense if your destination happens to be the Club Mahindra (which is on the Chinnakkanal-Suryanelli road). You can save yourselves the 18 kms drive from Munnar to Chinnakkanal which would be additional in case you're coming via Marayoor. Those hilly stretches can be very strenuous to drive when you're on the last leg of a long journey.

So if you do want to take the Marayoor-Chinnar route, it might be much better to do it on the way back from Munnar.
I was commenting on other route which HVK mentioned about bypassing Theni. (Karur-Dharapuram-Udumalet). If one is at Chinnakanal, it does make to get down via Bodi. But you dont want to miss the drive via Chinnar one way or the other. In that case I was commenting it does not make much sense to still come back to NH7. Roads are good either way and are equidistant to Salem.
Old 1st August 2011, 18:22   #306
BHPian

Had driven down to Munnar and then Adimaly. Please refer the GPS track for waypoints/route.

Sports Tracker
Old 1st August 2011, 18:51   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you can also turn off NH7 immediately after the Kaveri Bridge (before Karur) at Pugalur and go via Kodumudi to Dharapuram & Udumalaipet
Thanks Kumar Sir. I will keep this as an option for my return leg via Udumalpet. For the onward run, I will take D'gul - Theni - Bodi route.

Quote:
Definitely sounds interesting AND tempting But not to be done towards the end stretch of an onward drive.

Quote:
I have always found this stretch (Udumalpet - Dharapuram - Kangeyam - Perundurai) quite cumbersome in terms of getting through the intermediate towns! Hence, was looking at alternatives to hit the GQ ASAP. How about connecting to NH7 at Aravakurichi, just south of Karur?

Quote:
I drove on the road from Chinnakkanal to Suryanelli (and a few kms further to a friend's estate down that road) a couple of years back, and it is quite narrow and scary to drive on - especially in the monsoons. I'd think the road would probably be much worse from there to Bodimettu.
The Bodi - Suryanelli stretch is definitely ruled out.

Quote:
And as HVK said, the Kolukkumalai road is strictly 4WD territory based on reports from friends who live in that locality (I've never driven that way).
I have a 4WD so will try and do Suryanelli - Kolukkumalai to the maximum distance I can without taking undue risks (given that I'd have my 2-yr old on board).

Quote:
Actually going via NH7-Theni-Bodi-Pooppara-Chinnakkanal makes a lot of sense if your destination happens to be the Club Mahindra (which is on the Chinnakkanal-Suryanelli road)
Correct - that is exactly what I am planning to do.

Quote:
Again correct - that is exactly what I am planning to do

Last edited by cool_dube : 1st August 2011 at 18:53.
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:34   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Route Plan:
(D1) Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Karur-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-MUNNAR-(D3)Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha-ERnakulam-ALAPUZHA-(D4)Kollam-Trivandrum-KANYAKUMARI-(D5)Tirunelveli-Madurai-Dindigula-Karur-Salem-Krishnagiri-Bangalore.
This was the suggested route plan earlier. We have dropped out allepey for now and ll be heading to Kanyakumari directly from Munnar. Can you please suggest the best route from munnar to kanyakumari.
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:08   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
This was the suggested route plan earlier. We have dropped out allepey for now and ll be heading to Kanyakumari directly from Munnar. Can you please suggest the best route from munnar to kanyakumari.
Munnar-Bodi-Theni-Madurai-Tirunelveli-KK

NH49 from Theni (via Usilampatti) would meet the NH7 by-pass. Take that to Tirumangalam and continue towards Tirunelveli.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 12:07   #310
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning Bangalore to Marayur next weekend. Planning to take Bangalore Salem Bhavani Perundurai Tiruppur Udumalpettai Marayur. Can you please let me know the road conditions and if this is the best road to take. Car is a Verna CRDI.
Appreciate comments from latest travellers on this route.
Old 6th August 2011, 12:14   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I'm planning Bangalore to Marayur next weekend. Planning to take Bangalore Salem Bhavani Perundurai Tiruppur Udumalpettai Marayur. Can you please let me know the road conditions and if this is the best road to take. Car is a Verna CRDI.
Appreciate comments from latest travellers on this route.

You should not take the Tiruppur route, but go via Kangeyam/Dharapuram.

Salem-Bhavani-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Marayur.

Once you get out of 4L/GQ at Perudural, you would be greeted by very nice 2L SH all the way to Udumalpet. And then its very decent ghat roads.

Last edited by ampere : 6th August 2011 at 12:15.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:20   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should not take the Tiruppur route, but go via Kangeyam/Dharapuram.

Salem-Bhavani-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Marayur.

Once you get out of 4L/GQ at Perudural, you would be greeted by very nice 2L SH all the way to Udumalpet. And then its very decent ghat roads.
Planning to leave early morning tomorrow. Does anyone know if there is a good place for lunch maybe in Kangeyam or udumalpet?
Old 12th August 2011, 15:27   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Planning to leave early morning tomorrow. Does anyone know if there is a good place for lunch maybe in Kangeyam or udumalpet?
You have Arya Bhavan and Anna Lakshmi at Perundural by-pass.
These are much better as compared to ones at Kangeyam (which is only 40 minutes from there). But I doubt if you would be able to break there.

If you start by 5, you would be at Salem by 8. Add one hour for BF and then you would be at Perundurai by 11 max. So, some how that seems too early.

Udumalpet may be the right place, but there are are not any major hotels that I am aware of. There are some hotels that I have seen at the main Kangeyam circle (where Perundural - Dharapuram road meets NH67), where you get meals which can be packed and had somewhere on the road. But dont expect any thing fancy.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:45   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have Arya Bhavan and Anna Lakshmi at Perundural by-pass.
These are much better as compared to ones at Kangeyam (which is only 40 minutes from there). But I doubt if you would be able to break there.

If you start by 5, you would be at Salem by 8. Add one hour for BF and then you would be at Perundurai by 11 max. So, some how that seems too early.

Udumalpet may be the right place, but there are are not any major hotels that I am aware of. There are some hotels that I have seen at the main Kangeyam circle (where Perundural - Dharapuram road meets NH67), where you get meals which can be packed and had somewhere on the road. But dont expect any thing fancy.
How about Dharapuram?
Old 12th August 2011, 16:39   #315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How about Dharapuram?
I saw 2 simple road side hotels.
We had curd rice at one of them. We packed it and had it at road side on the Udumalpet road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks