Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:43   #391
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Mohan drops the following message:

Quote:
I had visited Munnar from 15th Mar to 17th Mar 2012.

I followed the route B'lore - Salem - Dharaburam - Udumalaipet - Marayur - Munnar.
Route is good overall. No major issues. We were lucky to watch herd of elephants on both journeys at the same point viz. in between udumalaipet and marayur. We were at this point around 4.30 pm both ways.

In Munnar we stayed at Forest Haven resort. Though it is 15 km further from Munnar town, it is worth the extra drive as it its really amidst thick first ambience. It has a small stream passing through in the back which the resort has very nicely made into a small natural pool, where we took nice bath. Also facilities like indoor games, are.good. Food was also good. Room was decent, though little cramped for 3.

Overall this thread really helped me with very vital info. Thanks for the details.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:45   #392

My holiday dates are fast approaching, about 3 weeks to go. Decided to take Bangalore - Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Bodi route. Just one last question on this route. Would be travelling in my Civic. Does anyone foresee a problem along this route, given the low GC and the occupants + luggage weight, further increasing the risk.
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:20   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinthray View Post
My holiday dates are fast approaching, about 3 weeks to go. Decided to take Bangalore - Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Bodi route. Just one last question on this route. Would be travelling in my Civic. Does anyone foresee a problem along this route, given the low GC and the occupants + luggage weight, further increasing the risk.
Bodi-Munnar was good and I heard that the roads are now damaged. Another alternative for you would be Udumalpet-Munnar. This is one of the scenic ghat section. This road will also be average in quality.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:27   #394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Bodi-Munnar was good and I heard that the roads are now damaged. Another alternative for you would be Udumalpet-Munnar. This is one of the scenic ghat section. This road will also be average in quality.
+1 for what rameshnanda said. For a Civic with occupants + luggage, I would advise you to avoid the Theni route. The road is quite bad and has huge crater-like potholes in many places along the Devikulam stretch. One of my friends just did this stretch last month in a Swift and wasn't happy with the battering his car had to undergo along the Theni route. Better to go by the Udumalpet - Marayoor - Munnar route in my opinion. The road is slightly patchy and bumpy here also, but it is miles ahead of Theni's killer pothole-infested road. I did the Marayoor route in my T-Jet few months ago, and can safely assure you there were no GC issues with my sedan that time. Not sure about the present conditions though. In terms of scenery, both routes are very nice.

Last edited by KarthikK : 2nd April 2012 at 16:39.
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:27   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Lots of pot holes in the Udumalipet-MUnnar section
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:26   #396

Thanks folks! Since both are equally bad, I guess I will take Theni route while going to Munnar (as I need to reach Club Mahindra) and take the Udumalpet route on the way back. Guess it will average out and I will be in a good position to share my thoughts on both routes after I return.
shinthray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 09:40   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks folks! Since both are equally bad, I guess I will take Theni route while going to Munnar (as I need to reach Club Mahindra) and take the Udumalpet route on the way back. Guess it will average out and I will be in a good position to share my thoughts on both routes after I return.
The Theni route is steep and narrow, at least in some stretches. The road via Udumalpet is better designed then the road via Theni. It is also broader, gradual and scenic in comparison.

I did it in Civic in end March so I am in the position to tell you the latest.

You are doing the correct thing by traversing both routes. New things everytime.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 09:49   #398
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks folks! Since both are equally bad, I guess I will take Theni route while going to Munnar (as I need to reach Club Mahindra) and take the Udumalpet route on the way back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
The Theni route is steep and narrow, at least in some stretches. The road via Udumalpet is better designed then the road via Theni. It is also broader,
While reaching Munnar esp Club Mahindra or places closer to it at Chinnakanal,
it always better to go by Theni as you can reach the place faster. While coming back home
one can take the Udumalpet route. Since one wont be in a hurry to finish this section of
ghats, one can spend more time on this way, take pictures. Reaching home late is not a
problem in this case.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 00:58   #399
NAK

Quote:
I just completed my Munnar trip to Club Mahindra and took the Udumalaipet route to reach Munnar. The road quality through the forest is really bad with potholes for at least a good 15-18 kms. Additionally, there are about 4 forest check points where you have to get down from your car and register the car details with the officers. That would surely add more time to your journey.

After reaching Club Mahindra, the tourist guide suggested the Theni route as the road condition is better and it reaches Chinnakanal without having to go through Munnar town.

Taking the Udumalpet route on the way back would be good idea and if you happen to cross it post 4 pm, there is a strong possibility of spotting some wild life in the forest.
Old 9th April 2012, 09:58   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK View Post
I just completed my Munnar trip to Club Mahindra and took the Udumalaipet route to reach Munnar. The road quality through the forest is really bad with potholes for at least a good 15-18 kms. Additionally, there are about 4 forest check points where you have to get down from your car and register the car details with the officers. That would surely add more time to your journey.

After reaching Club Mahindra, the tourist guide suggested the Theni route as the road condition is better and it reaches Chinnakanal without having to go through Munnar town.

Taking the Udumalpet route on the way back would be good idea and if you happen to cross it post 4 pm, there is a strong possibility of spotting some wild life in the forest.
Thanks a lot for the Update NAK!!
Old 9th April 2012, 12:13   #401
BHPian

We are travelling Mumbai (Thane) to Munnar on April 18. Driving a XUV500 with 2 adults and 2 kids. Planning to go via Bangalore taking the NICE peripheral ring road bypass.

Based on earlier posts, we will take the Theni route. Also, do not want to rush the drive as there are 2 kids under 10.

Tentative itinerary is:
1. April 18: Thane - Chitradurga, Karnataka
2. April 19: Chitradurga - TBD (night halt before Munnar)
3. April 20: TBD - Munnar

what would be a good option for a night halt before Munnar? We are going from Munnar to Thekkady and then on to Kumarakom. From Kumarakom we head back to Mumbai on April 28, and will try to get back in time for the 8 pm match at Wankhede on April 29.
Old 9th April 2012, 12:30   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_man View Post
We are travelling Mumbai (Thane) to Munnar on April 18. Driving a XUV500 with 2 adults and 2 kids.

what would be a good option for a night halt before Munnar? We are going from Munnar to Thekkady and then on to Kumarakom. From Kumarakom we head back to Mumbai on April 28, and will try to get back in time for the 8 pm match at Wankhede on April 29.
Hotel Tea County, if you want to stay bang in the town that is.
Old 9th April 2012, 13:57   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_man View Post
We are travelling Mumbai (Thane) to Munnar on April 18. Driving a XUV500 with 2 adults and 2 kids. Planning to go via Bangalore taking the NICE peripheral ring road bypass.

Based on earlier posts, we will take the Theni route. Also, do not want to rush the drive as there are 2 kids under 10.

Tentative itinerary is:
1. April 18: Thane - Chitradurga, Karnataka
2. April 19: Chitradurga - TBD (night halt before Munnar)
3. April 20: TBD - Munnar

h_man,

If you're taking the route that I would use, your distance from Chirtradurga to Munnar is roughly 740 kms. (Chitradurga to Salem- 420 and Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Munnar- 320). You could take a night halt at Dindigul. I don't have any idea of good hotels to stay there. Try the Tripadvisor reviews.

Cheers,
Varun
misguidedmisile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 14:17   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
h_man,

If you're taking the route that I would use, your distance from Chirtradurga to Munnar is roughly 740 kms. (Chitradurga to Salem- 420 and Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Munnar- 320). You could take a night halt at Dindigul. I don't have any idea of good hotels to stay there. Try the Tripadvisor reviews.

Cheers,
Varun
Varun - Thanks! Dindigul seems to be a good option for the night halt. Tripadvisor shows a few good hotels/resorts.

My route is going to be as below:
Thane - Chitradurga - Dindigul - Munnar

Google maps shows the road to Club Mahindra, Munnar as going via Suryanelli, which comes as a turn off on SH 85 a few kilometers after Bodi. This goes through B.L Ram, Muthuvan Kudi. Anyone with experience of this road? Or better to stick to SH 85?
Old 9th April 2012, 16:55   #405
BHPian

Please note that when you take the Dindigul bypass, you need to take a right below the 4th Flyover on the bypass road, to head towards Theni. There is No sign board for this right turn. Also once you hit the Dindigul bypass, get off the highway and use the service road, because there is No exit on the highway to take a right below the 4th Flyover. If you miss the service road, you'll have to cross the 4th flyover, and look for the next u-turn and then come back and turn left. I learn't it the hard way!
misguidedmisile is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks