Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2017, 10:57   #1111
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Both the roads are scenic, plan to use different options for coming and going. As suggested, plan to start early, these roads can be misty during the evenings and you will also cross the forest stretches during the day.
Yes, I nearly did the same. Took the Theni route while going and Udumalpet- Dharapuram connecting to NH7 before Karur on the return trip to Bangalore.

Return trip was not that good. Got stuck in a bad traffic jam near lakkam waterfalls due to some badly parked vehicles. Lost 2 hrs due to this jam. When I checked with the locals, they said it's a routine affair due to unruly parking habits of tourists. Even the road surface on this route till lakkam waterfalls and also in patches till udumalpet was not as smooth as compared to the Theni route. By the time I reached Udumalpet, I was really irritated.

I would always be wary of taking this route again because to me the chances of getting stuck in a jam near lakkam waterfalls looks highly likely.

There was no such drama while going to munnar taking the theni route.

Last edited by champ27 : 16th May 2017 at 11:01. Reason: fixed minor typos
champ27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 11:20   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
Yes, I nearly did the same. Took the Theni route while going and Udumalpet- Dharapuram connecting to NH7 before Karur on the return trip to Bangalore.

Return trip was not that good. Got stuck in a bad traffic jam near lakkam waterfalls due to some badly parked vehicles. Lost 2 hrs due to this jam. When I checked with the locals, they said it's a routine affair due to unruly parking habits of tourists. Even the road surface on this route till lakkam waterfalls and also in patches till udumalpet was not as smooth as compared to the Theni route. By the time I reached Udumalpet, I was really irritated.

I would always be wary of taking this route again because to me the chances of getting stuck in a jam near lakkam waterfalls looks highly likely.

There was no such drama while going to munnar taking the theni route.
Sorry to hear about the bad experience on the Marayur Udumal route, I suggested this route for the scenic view of the tea estates and the sandal forest.

Parking near Eravikulam National park and Lakkam falls has always been an issue since there is no proper parking place and vehicles are parked on the main road side. I have been lucky and has never got stuck here.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 11:27   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the bad experience on the Marayur Udumal route, I suggested this route for the scenic view of the tea estates and the sandal forest.

Parking near Eravikulam National park and Lakkam falls has always been an issue since there is no proper parking place and vehicles are parked on the main road side. I have been lucky and has never got stuck here.
No worries at all. It's good to try new routes. The route was indeed scenic, just that I was not so lucky on that particular day.
Just wanted to highlight the problem of parking in that area so that prospective travelers are aware
champ27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:07   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
No worries at all. It's good to try new routes. The route was indeed scenic, just that I was not so lucky on that particular day.
Just wanted to highlight the problem of parking in that area so that prospective travelers are aware
Quote:

The Udumal route was normally supposed to be the "better" route until a few years ago (one year?). I believe that's around when they fixed the Theni route. Very scenic, but not worth a 2 hour wait. I don't think its *that* common either. I took the Theni route for the first time. Did some experimenting and lost a lot of time, but nothing due to problems enroute. My destination was Adimali, so I didn't actually have to touch Munnar.
razeetg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:52   #1115
BHPian

How is the Sathyamangalam-Avinashi route to Munnar from Bengalooru?
Asking for a friend. He is willing to explore the less travelled road if the surface is not bad. He has an infant in tow though.
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:06   #1116
eko
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
How is the Sathyamangalam-Avinashi route to Munnar from Bengalooru?
Asking for a friend. He is willing to explore the less travelled road if the surface is not bad. He has an infant in tow though.
The road is good. Has plenty of hair pins. Very scenic. But very few eateries on way. Bannari Amman temple just after the ghat.
eko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 12:45   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hello BHPians,
(I'm checking in to club Mahindra on Tuesday.)
Is this the route to take-- Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Theni-Bodi-Munnar?
Hey, Can you pls update on the drive from Bangalore to Club Mahindra via the route that you have mentioned. I am planning for the same destination from Banaglore in the coming weekend and wanted to get any suggestions on the route / hotels for breakfast etc. I am planning to have 5 AM start from Bannerghatta road.
Indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 13:51   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Hey, Can you pls update on the drive from Bangalore to Club Mahindra via the route that you have mentioned. I am planning for the same destination from Banaglore in the coming weekend and wanted to get any suggestions on the route / hotels for breakfast etc. I am planning to have 5 AM start from Bannerghatta road.
Hi,
The route you mentioned was what I used and it was pretty good. At no point was the road bad, but ghat roads in Kerala are pretty narrow.

Green kitchen family restaurant in Theni was excellent. (Use Google maps)

For your return, there's an alternate route to descend which is devoid of traffic. Go towards the South Indian Bank ATM from club mahindra and take a right. Should be doable in most cars. Just check with the local drivers before taking this route.

Have a great time.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 21st June 2017 at 13:53.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 13:57   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
For your return, there's an alternate route to descend which is devoid of traffic. Go towards the South Indian Bank ATM from club mahindra and take a right. Should be doable in most cars. Just check with the local drivers before taking this route.

Have a great time.
The route you are referring to joins Kumili Road back at Bodimettu checkpost, right? I had taken this route during August 2016 and found it to be doable and saves time too! But, for most part of the drive, the Road wears a deserted look!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:15   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
The route you are referring to joins Kumili Road back at Bodimettu checkpost, right? I had taken this route during August 2016 and found it to be doable and saves time too! But, for most part of the drive, the Road wears a deserted look!
Correct.
I used this in May 2017. When I spoke to the local drivers, they first ask which car you're taking.
Since I was driving an Innova, they asked me to ahead without any hesitation. I'm sure almost all cars could have gone on the route, but it maybe bad during heavy rains.
Old 19th July 2017, 10:12   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I am planning to drive down to Munnar next week, and stay at Fragrant Nature Munnar (Hotel).
The address mentioned on the website is:

Bison valley road Pothamedu

I am planning on taking the Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Theni-Munnar route.

Is this the right route, or should I consider any alternate routes? Any additional info that I must be aware of will be much appreciated.
Old 19th July 2017, 12:04   #1122
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I am planning on taking the Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Theni-Munnar route.

Is this the right route, or should I consider any alternate routes? Any additional info that I must be aware of will be much appreciated.
I think the place is near Poopara (as per a google search), so this route should be fine.
Alternative route is via Udumalaipet-Marayoor, but you will reach Munnar town first and then need an hour or more to get to Poopara.
Old 19th July 2017, 13:53   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think the place is near Poopara (as per a google search), so this route should be fine.
Alternative route is via Udumalaipet-Marayoor, but you will reach Munnar town first and then need an hour or more to get to Poopara.
Thank you NPV, I think you may have got it slightly wrong here buddy.

As per Google search, this resort is about 3.6Km from Munnar Bus Stand, which I am assuming is closest to city center.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 13:53   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hi guys,

I am planning to drive down to Munnar next week, and stay at Fragrant Nature Munnar (Hotel).
The address mentioned on the website is:

Bison valley road Pothamedu

Actually the resort is closer to Munnar than it is to Poppara

https://goo.gl/maps/aUQc2He1fVq

Might make more sense to do the Marayoor route instead. But in terms of time it would probably take the same time time via the Theni-Bodi stretch too. But then the Marayoor stretch can't match the beauty of the Poppara - Devikulam - Munnar stretch
praful is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 17:33   #1125
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I am planning for a Vagamon trip in the last weekend of August. In order to have a relaxing journey and reach the Hotel (Winter Vale) at the right time for check in,I am planning for an overnight halt somewhere enroute. Supposedly if I start on a thursday evening(5pm from Whitefield) then which place would be the best for a night halt?

Will be taking BLR-SALEM-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Vagamon route. I hope this is ok?
Please let me know if any bypasses that I can take around major towns.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks