Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 13:30   #16
BHPian

Re: DelhiQuery : Domestic Airport to Old Delhi Railway Staion

Thanks PGN, Irish ,pypkmsrikanth for your replies.
We are 5 people , 2 gents and 3 ladies and with atleast one bag each. In this respect I feel taxi is preferable to avoid confusions and running around. If we decide to take a taxi , is 1.5hours a realistic estimate for the travel assuming a Sunday evening ? So if we catch a taxi by 6.30pm we can expect to reach Old Delhi by 8pm.
Old 28th September 2011, 14:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Thanks PGN, Irish ,pypkmsrikanth for your replies.
We are 5 people , 2 gents and 3 ladies and with atleast one bag each. In this respect I feel taxi is preferable to avoid confusions and running around. If we decide to take a taxi , is 1.5hours a realistic estimate for the travel assuming a Sunday evening ? So if we catch a taxi by 6.30pm we can expect to reach Old Delhi by 8pm.
You would have no issues catching the Airport Metro with all your luggages, since you are going to board at the starting point and get down at the end point. The Airport line is not as crowded as the rest of the metro.

With regard to the query on taxi, you have either the Delhi Police Prepaid or the radio taxis available at the airport terminal so no issues on that point as well.
Old 28th September 2011, 19:17   #18
BHPian

@vikrantj, As you are 5 people you will have to look for Ambassador taxi. Else you have to take two taxis. If you are taking one taxi, it will be cheaper than Metro option. Prepaid taxi should be approx Rs. 300 to 350 for that distance.
Metro will be 500 till New Delhi station and Rs. 40 for further journey. (for 5 people)

I do not think there will be any confusion as Airport express trains are not crowded and announcements are very clear.

Even at Delhi metro signage and announcements are very clear. No harm trying this option if you have to take two taxis.

Airport express has 20 minutes interval while Sunday evening Delhi metro will be 4 to 5 minutes interval. Any way you can reach Old Delhi in one hour flat.

If you choose prepaid taxi, look for official Delhi Police Taxi booth that has triangular sign on it. There are private taxi booths also and they will be charging approx 2.5 to 3 times yellow and black (or Green) taxi and will not have ambassadors. Radio taxis like Meru/ Metro, etc will also be accommodating max 4 persons in their cab.

Happy journey.
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 19:25   #19
BHPian

Above statements are valid for Terminal 3. (Jet/ AirIndia/ Kingfisher)

In case you arrive at Terminal 1C, (All other airlines) Taxi will be wiser option as it will take at least 30 minutes to reach Terminal 3 to take metro. (Including waiting time for shuttle coach).

There are AC buses (DTC Red coloured) from T1C to Old Delhi station but frequency is not known.
Old 28th September 2011, 19:36   #20
BANNED

Dear Vikant

Although costly at 80 Rs / head but worth those 80rs . if saving time is priority ,take Metro from in front of T3 to New delhi railway station . you will be in NDLS in flat 30 Min and another 15 min you will be in old delhi railway station . pls note that from NDLS to Old Delhi railways station, it's just like Mumbai locals ( With AC running and ample space to park your feet) Till ISBT ( 3-4 stations Between ) . there is separate coach in front for ladies . taxis might be cheap but timings will be highly unpredictable as you will board them in peak evening traffic . moreover old delhi station being in congested place, it might take more time .
Old 28th September 2011, 21:33   #21
BHPian

Thanks all of u for the replies. Some updates from my side.

1. I will be in Delhi on Monday not on Sunday as I wrote earlier. I dunno what I was thinking earlier.
2. I will catch the Airport Express from T3 to new Delhi station . It will be 6.30.
3. I will take the yellow line to chandani chowk.

How crowded will be yellow line at say 7PM in the evening.
Old 29th September 2011, 08:04   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks all of u for the replies. Some updates from my side.

1. I will be in Delhi on Monday not on Sunday as I wrote earlier. I dunno what I was thinking earlier.
2. I will catch the Airport Express from T3 to new Delhi station . It will be 6.30.
3. I will take the yellow line to chandani chowk.

How crowded will be yellow line at say 7PM in the evening.
Im evening around 7 , it will be moderate to highly crowded considering that office traffic starts to thin out by this time. Still there is no need to worry as people behave themselves in metro stations and generally stand in queue for boarding the train .
Old 29th September 2011, 08:08   #23
BHPian

Thanks Sushil . One more thing I heard was that they frisk everybodys bags at metro which causes delay. How far is that true ?
Old 29th September 2011, 08:13   #24
BANNED

NO for bag frisking. They frisk everybody before entering ( take 5 Sec / person) . CRPF Man checkes males for any weapons . for ladies they have ladies constables in close doors .For Bags they check via X-ray scanner just like airports. No personnel frisking of bags . Make sure what you are not carrying any explosives etc. carrying liquor bottles is OK provided it;s sealed .

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 29th September 2011 at 08:17.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 10:31   #25
BHPian

DelhiQuery : H.Nizamuddin station to Old Delhi Railway Staion

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. One more query

Some of our fellow travellers are coming to H.Nizamuddin station at 6.30pm on Monday. Again they have to catch the same train as us at 9.30pm at Old Delhi station. What would be the best mode of transport for them ?

1. They are a group of 11 with ladies outnumbering the gentlemen.
2. They will have a similar baggage like us one bag each.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 29th September 2011, 10:38   #26
BANNED

Re: DelhiQuery : H.Nizamuddin station to Old Delhi Railway Staion

Quote:
Hi All,

Some of our fellow travellers are coming to H.Nizamuddin station at 6.30pm on Monday. Again they have to catch the same train as us at 9.30pm at Old Delhi station. What would be the best mode of transport for them ?

Thanks in anticipation.
No Metro IMO . Taxi / Bus is the only option . should;t take more than 1hour to reach and as it;s on ring road, you will get generally fast moving traffic. everything goes over fly overs on ring road so chances of traffic jam are less. DTC AC red buses are excellent from ladies perspective as well.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 11:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks in anticipation.
For the group coming from Nizamuddin

1. No Metro connection to Old Delhi from Nizamuddin. (As pointed by Sushil)
2. If you prefer taking auto/taxi then suggest take 11/3= 4 Autos or 11/4 = 3 taxis.
- Auto would be preferable since it will be faster in the smaller lanes of Old Delhi area.
- Prepaid autos are available but might be difficult to get if there are none present in the prepaid auto line. If a cop is present you might be able to get prepaid auto.
- If you are lucky it will take them 1 hour to reach the station.

3. Metro
- In case they dont mind a little bit of crowding in the metro then suggest taking Auto to Jor bagh metro station(20 mins). From Jor Bagh station it will take 20 mins to get to Old Delhi.
- Its the fastest way to get there.
- Also the ladies can get in the Ladies compartment which is a little less crowded than the others.

For the group coming from Airport:

Note that the route you will be taking will be very very busy and you will only be able to put 4 people to a cab so your group will have to split up if you take a cab
- Metro is the best and fastest way to get to the Old Delhi station.
- In case you use cabs use the Taxi Syndicate cabs (011 45333 333).
- All their new cabs are Eeco so the ride is very comfortable.

Anyways enjoy the Delhi metro or the Delhi traffic, which ever you decide.

HR
hell_raiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 12:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why we forget the half hourly rails between the stations? For the group at NZM they can take the ring road railway and reach the Old Delhi Station in about 30 minutes. For the group at the T3 Metro is the best option to CP. From there change to the regular metro line or even take an Auto.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:19   #29
BHPian

First up, it's a good decision on your part to travel from the Airport to Old Delhi Railway Station via the Metro, and don't have any concerns or apprehensions about travel using the Metro being confusing or tedious. The entire network is well planned, laid out and managed.

You will be pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Hi All,

Unfortunately, there is no Metro Station near Hazrat Nizammudin.

As recommended by others members here, the best option is to take the Exit near Platform No.1 at Hazrat Nizammudin Station, catch a Prepaid Taxi to Jor Bagh Metro Station (which is on the Yellow Line, so you dont need to change trains anywhere), and catch any northbound Train to Chandni Chowk Station (which serves the Old Delhi Railway Station).

If your friends are feeling adventurous, ask them to catch a "Local Train" from Nizammuddin to Old Delhi Railway Station.
Old 29th September 2011, 13:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Just as a side question - though not off topic in any way:
What about the Aerocity metro station?

I got an email that it has been opened - wouldn't that be closest to the T1 terminal?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks