Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2021, 17:01   #451
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Hello members,
I will be driving to Club Mahindra Virajpet on Monday, September 20th with my wife and daughter on vacation. Please suggest a good route.

We have all received both doses of Covishield vaccine. Do we need to take RT PCR.

Please let me know.

Regards,
Narayan.
Old 28th September 2021, 12:28   #452

Hi Narayan,

The route to Coorg basically depends on which part of Bangalore you are located in. If you reside in the Southern or the Eastern part, then Mysore road is still the better option. Watch out for major diversions along the way as the expressway work is going on in full swing.

If you reside in the Northern and Western part, the Channarayapatna - Arkalgud - Ramanathpura - Periyapatna route is the best option. The roads are brilliant except for a small patch near Ramnathpura.

As for the RT-PCR test, there is no requirement currently to enter Coorg. I shuttle up and down every weekend and they do not stop you to check. However, do confirm with Club Mahindra as to what their requirements are in this regard.

Hope you have a great journey!
Old 8th November 2021, 10:10   #453
BHPian

Hello members,

I will be driving to Club Mahindra, Madikeri on Tuesday the 9th of November 2021 with my wife for a vacation.

Please suggest the best route, as we are going in the night (Starting from South Bangalore at 8 pm).

Preference to tolled + straight roads , over scenic roads as it is a approximate 6 hour drive.

Looking for the best route, with minimal road wrecks, potholes or speed-breakers.
Old 8th November 2021, 10:49   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Hello members,

I will be driving to Club Mahindra, Madikeri on Tuesday the 9th of November 2021 with my wife for a vacation.

Please suggest the best route, as we are going in the night (Starting from South Bangalore at 8 pm).

Preference to tolled + straight roads , over scenic roads as it is a approximate 6 hour drive.

Looking for the best route, with minimal road wrecks, potholes or speed-breakers.
While there are many routes to reach Coorg for instance the route through Shanivarasanthe , considering the time of your travel which is late night please stick to Bangalore - Mysore road, go through Kushalnagar and reach Madikeri.

Remember you are going to a hill station, do not expect roads to be pristine and especially the roads leading to the resort. Ideally one should avoid traveling at that time of the night through unknown roads leading to a hill station.

Happy vacation
Old 8th November 2021, 11:17   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
While there are many routes to reach Coorg for instance the route through Shanivarasanthe , considering the time of your travel which is late night please stick to Bangalore - Mysore road, go through Kushalnagar and reach Madikeri.

Remember you are going to a hill station, do not expect roads to be pristine and especially the roads leading to the resort. Ideally one should avoid traveling at that time of the night through unknown roads leading to a hill station.

Happy vacation
Hi Kosfactor,

I guess there is no need to hit Mysore, am i correct?
I can always do the Srirangapatna- Hunsur, but i heard the Hunsur stretch is absolutely wrecked.

Do you suggest i still stick to Nh75- Channarayapatna- Holenarsipura- Ramanathapura- Madikeri road?
Old 8th November 2021, 11:40   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kosfactor,

I can always do the Srirangapatna- Hunsur, but i heard the Hunsur stretch is absolutely wrecked.

Do you suggest i still stick to Nh75- Channarayapatna- Holenarsipura- Ramanathapura- Madikeri road?
Preferably avoid desolate stretches in the night, Its no fun when something out of the ordinary happens in the night and there is nothing around you or anyone to ask for help (been there in such a situation already).

This is why I would prefer Bangalore-Mysore(City)-Hunsur-Kushal Nagar- Madikeri if its late night. May as well finish dinner in mysore city while you are at it. Avoid any small roads even if Gmaps tell you to go through it, follow the highway \ main road only.
Old 8th November 2021, 11:53   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Starting from South Bangalore at 8 pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Preferably avoid desolate stretches in the night
+1 to this and if there is rain and low visiblity, it can become a hazard to drive on our roads. Would definitetly urge you to stick to Bangalore - Mysore road. While the Srirangapatna - Hunsur road is an option, most people use is during daytime to avoid Mysore traffic. In your case, you wont need this as there will be no traffic when you enter mysore and should be able to make good time driving through the city.

Side Note: I urge you to reconsider the 8 pm start time and if possible, shift to an early morning start time. I have driven on Mysore road at 3 am last year and easily covered NICE Road Junction to Hunsur in little less than 3 hours. With a 3 am start, you can target to get to Club Mahindra Madikeri by 8 am.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 08:49   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kosfactor,

Only light patches on the KRS road (the Srirangapatna - Yelawal (where you join Hunsur road) but otherwise good. Yelawal (Hunsur) to Madikeri is in good condition, nothing to be worried of.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 12:43   #459
BHPian

Considering to drive down to Kanoor (https://goo.gl/maps/WZXHpGryJUCQCi6x6) from North Bangalore.

Looking for 4/6 laned highways as much as possible.

Would the best route be the following:

Neelamangala > Kunigal > Channarayapattana > Ramanathapura (not sure whether to touch Arakalagud or not) > Piriyapatna > Kanoor.

Any thoughts on this route please? Don't mind 30/40 mins this side or that side, but really want the best highways for as much of the route as possible.

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2021, 13:22   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Neelamangala > Kunigal > Channarayapattana > Ramanathapura (not sure whether to touch Arakalagud or not) > Piriyapatna > Kanoor.
I would rather suggest Kunigal - Pandavapura - Srirangapatna - Mysore - Hunsur as your destination is more towards south of Coorg. You just have to bear the Srirangapatna to Mysore - 15 odd km stretch, rest all will be smooth.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 18:50   #461
BHPian

Hi finally which route did you take ? I would be travelling in daytime starting around 9 or 10 Am. What is route recommendation from Bangalore.

Quote:
Hi Kosfactor,

Old 11th November 2021, 00:25   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Hi finally which route did you take ? I would be travelling in daytime starting around 9 or 10 Am. What is route recommendation from Bangalore.
Bangalore-Srirangapatna- Krs road- ilwala hobli-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Kushal nagara - Madikeri.

From Bangalore to srirangapatna, I took the usual NH 275 which goes via Bidadi, ramnagar,maddur and Mandya.

The road surface has improved a lot after dipawali, but still heaps of ongoing construction activity ongoing which you are already probably aware of!

Road conditions from srirangapatna to KRS road are not that great, as it was quite bumpy with many badly laid/unmarked speed breakers

Road conditions from periyapatna to Madikeri are absolutely fabulous and should be used as a role model for other roads

Ps: We are here till Saturday at Club Mahindra, if you catch us say hi.

Last edited by 1985Darkkid85 : 11th November 2021 at 00:28.
1985Darkkid85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 13:39   #463
BHPian

We are currently near Piriyapatna, in Nagarhole National park. Heading back to North Bangalore tomorrow.

On the way here, we took the Neelamangala > Hasan highway, till Channarayapattana, and then diverted through state highways to Holenarasipur, finally joining on the Hassan>Piriyapatna highway around Ramanathapura to our destination.

The (shortcut) roads from Channarayapattana to Ramanathapura were not really that great and quite bumpy.

So I was thinking of taking the Piriyapatna>Hassan highway, all the way till Hassan, and then taking the Hassan>Neelamangala highway back home. I know the Hassan>Neelamangala highway would be great, but how is the Piriyapatna>Hassan highway? Don't mind the extra length in time or km's, but just looking for a smooth, easy to drive road. Thoughts on this?

Also, Google maps has an alert near Hassan for a serious flood warning, anyone know anything about this and if the above route will go near here?

Travelling with elderly in laws so looking to keep it as smooth as possible. Thanks in advance.
Old 18th November 2021, 13:47   #464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Travelling with elderly in laws so looking to keep it as smooth as possible. Thanks in advance.

CR Patna - Holenarasipur - Arkalgud - Shanivarsanthe - Somwarpet - Madikeri/Kushalnagar.

If the idea is to head to Periyapatna, then I am not sure how the roads from Arkalgud-Ramnathpura-Periyapatna are?
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 14:44   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I was thinking of taking the Piriyapatna>Hassan highway, all the way till Hassan, and then taking the Hassan>Neelamangala highway back home. I know the Hassan>Neelamangala highway would be great, but how is the Piriyapatna>Hassan highway? Don't mind the extra length in time or km's, but just looking for a smooth, easy to drive road. Thoughts on this?
Slightly longer but you can consider Periyaptana - Hunsur - KR Nagar - Honelarasipura - CR Patna. Adds around 10-12 km more but roads remain good and you will also be on the major road connecting Hassan Mysore when you hit KR Nagar.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks