Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2016, 17:26   #166
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Hello TBhpians,

I will be returning from Madikeri to Bangalore ( end destination: Hyderabad) during the Aug 15th long weekend and would like to have some inputs from the members here about the best route to take.

Will be starting from Madikeri after Sunrise

Option 1: Madikeri - Somwarpet - Arkalgud - Holenarasipura - Channarayapatna - Nelamangala - Bangalore (head to Hyderabad via Hebbal)

Maps

I see good opinions about the drive of this route being scenic and also with end destination being Hyderabad, prefer this.

Option 2: Via Mysuru

Maps

Please suggest which is the better option. I am inclining towards Option 1 but are roads in Option 1 still in good conditions and worth driving during this monsoon? Since I / co-driver may be driving for about 12 - 14 hrs, want to take a call on which is the best route.

Thanks in advance
Old 7th August 2016, 18:01   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas_270 View Post
Option 1: Madikeri - Somwarpet - Arkalgud - Holenarasipura - Channarayapatna - Nelamangala - Bangalore (head to Hyderabad via Hebbal)
Take this option. But no need to head to Hebbal. Nelamangala-Doddaballapur-Devanahalli and on to NH7.

Please also note, Doddaballapur is a bit messed up right thanks to railway flyover construction. But on the whole its still worth it in my opinion. Saves you the hassle of going into Bangalore.

Route Link

But I sure am surprised as Google predicts same time for this and the route via Bangalore!

Last edited by ampere : 7th August 2016 at 18:04.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 19:51   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Take this option. But no need to head to Hebbal. Nelamangala-Doddaballapur-Devanahalli and on to NH7.
Thank you Ampere. Will do.

Yes, I did explore the Nelamangala-Doddaballapur-Devanahalli option but with google showing the same time, I wasn't sure about the road condition and was thinking of sticking to Hebbal.

Thank you that you covered that aspect as well. I will then take the Nelamangala-Doddaballapur-Devanahalli to avoid the traffic.
Old 7th August 2016, 19:57   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you that you covered that aspect as well. I will then take the Nelamangala-Doddaballapur-Devanahalli to avoid the traffic.
Usually Google predicts it very well.

So things which can account for it:

- Nelamangala-Doddaballapur can be a bit rough
- Crossing the railway signal at Doddaballapur can add to the time

While inside Bangalore:
- Crossing Yashwantpur to NH7 can be a bit of pain. (Either via Ring road or via Mekri Circle.)

Looks like both are playing their parts!
Other wise I would expect the Doddaballapur option to be relatively more stress free (rough patches apart).

Quote:
Yeah, seems so. Guess I will turn on google maps then as I near Nelamangala and see what google predicts. Since I will reaching Bangalore sometime in the afternoon, hopefully they may not be too much traffic.
Will trust google to predict which one is faster
Makes sense! Choose based on time. Have a safe drive.

Last edited by ampere : 7th August 2016 at 20:10.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 20:03   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Usually Google predicts it very well.
Looks like both are playing their parts!
Yeah, seems so. Guess I will turn on google maps then as I near Nelamangala and see what google predicts. Since I will reaching Bangalore sometime in the afternoon, hopefully they may not be too much traffic.

Will trust google to predict which one is faster
manas_270 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 20:42   #171
BHPian

Quote:
But I sure am surprised as Google predicts same time for this and the route via Bangalore!
GMaps computes the route based on many parameters and "live traffic" information is one of them. Today being Sunday, the traffic may not be high on Nelamangala-Hebbal-Devanahalli section. I dont see any red, not even yellow (except at the ORR railway crossing) in that section on Gmaps. (It means either traffic is really thin or Gmaps is not able to compute live traffic information because no one is using GMaps.)

Quote:
- Nelamangala-Doddaballapur can be a bit rough
- Crossing the railway signal at Doddaballapur can add to the time
Bangalore!
Gmaps route through doddaballapur seems to be avoiding the railway crossing. It is showing a different route through the railway station. So this could still be a better option to bypass Bangalore during peak hours.
Old 7th August 2016, 21:43   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
It means either traffic is really thin or Gmaps is not able to compute live traffic information because no one is using GMaps.
Sunday traffic is usually quite thin

Quote:
Gmaps route through doddaballapur seems to be avoiding the railway crossing. It is showing a different route through the railway station. So this could still be a better option to bypass Bangalore during peak hours.
I hope you are referring to this:
Route Link

I have seen this exit from Yelahanka-Doddaballapur road. It goes below the railway line near the station.

Dont know the condition of the roads on this section. If good its definitely worth it. Definitely worth a try.
Old 10th August 2016, 14:32   #173
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I’m planning for a road trip from Bangalore to Coorg this weekend.

Below is the draft route plan. Please suggest your opinions on route, places to visit etc.

Day 1

Bangalore - Nagarhole route from Hunsur- Kutta, head to Iruppu falls. (254Kms)
Raja's Seat (Madikeri) – {if time permits} - To Abbey falls
To resort for overnight stay [362Kms]

Day 2

Resort to Mandalpatti
To Namdroling Monastry– Bangalore.
{if time permits} – Visit Srirangapatna
Old 3rd September 2016, 01:22   #174
Senior - BHPian

FOlks, I did a short trip to Madikeri Coorg last week via mysore. Only piece of advice is that dont take the traditional deviation for KRS as the road is fairly broken. I would suggest to take the Mysore ORR which is much better and nicer and faster. I took the KRS road on the onward journey and had a fairly bouncy ride accentuated by the XUV . Return was a piece of cake on the mysore ORR.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 23:43   #175
Senior - BHPian

We will be driving to Virajpet during this weekend. How is the bypass via KRS? I had last used it in mid-August. Though it was not very good, but did not face much problem with my TUV300. Has it deteriorated in the last two months?
Old 12th October 2016, 10:29   #176
BHPian

Had been to Coorg last weekend on the Blore->Nelamangla->CR Patna->Arakalagud->Ramanathapura-> Kushalnagar -> Madikeri route.

The SH21 between Arakalagud and Ramnanathapura is being widened and re-done.

Roadworks starts soon after Arakalagud and goes on for about 6-7Km. This stretch is devoid of tar. All the tar has been stripped and replaced with hardpacked gravel. The surface is good enough to drive on 3rd gear around 40Kmph (in my A-Star). Traffic is sparse and the road is driveable. My onward journey on this stretch was slower than the return due to machinery moving around.

The remaining 11Km has the old layer of tar intact and one can pick up pace. On this stretch, work is in progress on the sides of the road at places but it did not hinder my drive.

What was sad to see is countless trees have been chopped. I loved the shade on this stretch - all of it is gone now.

I still prefer this route to Madikeri over the maddening Blore-Mysore highway alternative. It is noteworthy that work in going on in full swing so the road conditions will vary with time.

Here are some pics from the first 6-7 Km. The pictures make it looks worse than it actually was. This is not yet a deal breaker for this route.

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-img20161012wa0000.jpg

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-img20161012wa0001.jpg

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-img20161012wa0002.jpg

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-img20161012wa0003.jpg

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-img20161012wa0004.jpg

Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries-img20161012wa0005.jpg

Last edited by rajathv8 : 12th October 2016 at 10:33.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 17:14   #177
BHPian

I had been to Madikeri, Coorg during the Dussehra weekend [ Oct 8 - 11 ] and here are the updates on this route.

As advised by several teambhpians on this thread I decided to take the route below to avoid the long weekend blr-mysore traffic overload.

Onward journey : Blore->Nelamangla->CR Patna->Holenarsipura -> Arakalagud->Shanivarasanthe-> Somwarepet -> Madikeri

Started at 5.45 AM from HSR, took the NICE road. Had to spend 25 mins on the NICE road toll due to long weekend rush. At tumkur road exit I took the service road upto Nelamangla (the service roads are as good as the toll road but with several speed breakers) and turn left towards Mangalore highway. There was again heavy rush at the 3 toll booths (approx. 10-15 mins each) you encounter upto CR Patna.

Had breakfast at Swathi Delicacy just before Yadiyur. They had arranged for buffet breakfast (Rs. 100) anticipating the heavy rush. Good food, and great idea for buffet, it saved a lot of time for us.

After CR Patna, took the SH121 to Holenarsipura as advised in the previous threads (due to road work in SH8 here) and this route was fantastic. Amazing roads with almost no traffic.

After crossing Arakalagud, roads are pothole-ridden for about 4-5 kms. After this its just greenery all the way upto Madikeri. Add to that the route has very good roads and very less traffic. The last 20 kms or so has a lot of twists and turns,but with so less traffic its a relaxed driving experience. On this stretch, you can roll down the windows and enjoy fresh air all the way upto Madikeri.

Reached Madikeri around 12.30 PM, with about an hour of break for breakfast and tea. Everyone including wife and kids were very pleased we took this route

Return Journey : Madikeri -> Kushalnagar -> Ramanathapura -> Arakalagud -> Holenarsipura -> CR Patna ->Nelamangla -> Blore

Started at around 10.15 AM , but got stuck in dussehra blockade for about 45 mins inside Madikeri. So decided to take the Kushalnagar route.

Lots of traffic until Kushalnagar, but after that its a peaceful drive. As mentioned by rajatv8 on the thread above, there is roadwork going on for about 7-8 kms before Arakalagud.

Had lunch at Hotel Mayura before Bellur Cross. Again good food, and they had arranged for a lot of tables to handle weekend rush. Has a fairly large play area, so kids had some time to play around.

Rest of the drive upto Bangalore was peaceful, reached HSR at 4.30 PM as there was only moderate traffic. We covered 138 kms (from Hotel mayura) to HSR in about 1 hr 44 mins ( avg. 80 kmph ) . Overall a good return drive except for the traffic chaos at Madikeri.
aravindkumarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 22:50   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindkumarp View Post
I had been to Madikeri, Coorg during the Dussehra weekend [ Oct 8 - 11 ] and here are the updates on this route.

As advised by several teambhpians on this thread I decided to take the route below to avoid the long weekend blr-mysore traffic overload.

Onward journey : Blore->Nelamangla->CR Patna->Holenarsipura -> Arakalagud->Shanivarasanthe-> Somwarepet -> Madikeri

Started at 5.45 AM from HSR, took the NICE road. Had to spend 25 mins on the NICE road toll due to long weekend rush. At tumkur road exit I took the service road upto Nelamangla (the service roads are as good as the toll road but with several speed breakers) and turn left towards Mangalore highway. There was again heavy rush at the 3 toll booths (approx. 10-15 mins each) you encounter upto CR Patna.

Had breakfast at Swathi Delicacy just before Yadiyur. They had arranged for buffet breakfast (Rs. 100) anticipating the heavy rush. Good food, and great idea for buffet, it saved a lot of time for us.

After CR Patna, took the SH121 to Holenarsipura as advised in the previous threads (due to road work in SH8 here) and this route was fantastic. Amazing roads with almost no traffic.

After crossing Arakalagud, roads are pothole-ridden for about 4-5 kms. After this its just greenery all the way upto Madikeri. Add to that the route has very good roads and very less traffic. The last 20 kms or so has a lot of twists and turns,but with so less traffic its a relaxed driving experience. On this stretch, you can roll down the windows and enjoy fresh air all the way upto Madikeri.

Reached Madikeri around 12.30 PM, with about an hour of break for breakfast and tea. Everyone including wife and kids were very pleased we took this route
Thank you for your well narrated experience on the route. I am going to Club Mahindra Madikeri, on November 12th with my family. I live in BTM layout and plan to leave my home before 6 AM. I had Kanakapura - Mysore route to Coorg in mind, as I don't like the Maddur, Mandya, Mysore route.

Would you advise to me to take the Kunigal, CR Patna route to Coorg, instead of the Kanakapura - Mysore route? Thanks.
Old 29th October 2016, 23:24   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Would you advise to me to take the Kunigal, CR Patna route to Coorg, instead of the Kanakapura - Mysore route? Thanks.
You can also consider Kunigal CR Patna Holenarasipura Hampapura KR Nagar Hunsur Kushalnagar Madikeri as well. At least till Hunsur, mostly straight roads and overall conditions are also good.This one will also bypass Mysore and hit directly at Hunsur.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 16:31   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You can also consider Kunigal CR Patna Holenarasipura Hampapura KR Nagar Hunsur Kushalnagar Madikeri as well. At least till Hunsur, mostly straight roads and overall conditions are also good.This one will also bypass Mysore and hit directly at Hunsur.
Thank you. But this route is about 330 kms from Bangalore. About 60 to 70 kms more than the other routes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks