Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:14   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Coorg : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post
Hi

I am planning a Bangalore (Koramangala) to Madikeri (Club Mahindra) trip. Bangalore - Ramanagara - Srirangapatna - Elivala - Hunsur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri. While I have done this trip before, this time, I am starting from Bangalore on Thursday 4:30 PM and will probably reach Madikeri at around 10 PM. So the Mysore - Madikeri stretch will be driven at night and I travelling with family. Is that ok from a safety perspective? Any forest dept enforced road closures on this route?

Gears,
Red-One.
Not sure if I can dig but Srirangapatna KRS Road Elvala was not considered safe due to few stray incidents of looting reported in the past.

If so, it would be a better idea to do Mysore Hunsur Via Mysore Outer Ring Road.

Others may confirm.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 13:57   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not sure if I can dig but Srirangapatna KRS Road Elvala was not considered safe due to few stray incidents of looting reported in the past.

If so, it would be a better idea to do Mysore Hunsur Via Mysore Outer Ring Road.

Others may confirm.
I managed to start earlier, so took the NICE road, Ramanagara, Mandya, Srirangapatna, Elavala, Madikeri route. Started at 2:45 PM and reached Madikeri at 8:15 PM, with break at Mandya and constant rain from Hunsur.
For the return trip, took the Kushal Nagar, Arkalagud, Channarayapattana, Kunigal, Koramangala route. Started at 9:15 AM and reached home by 3:30 PM with breakfast/shopping break at Khushal Nagar, lunch at the new Empire near Kunigal and about 30 minutes wasted due to a fuel miscalculation / diesel hunt between Arkalaud and Channarayapattana.

IMO, the return drive was a better option except slow progress between Khushal Nagar and Channarayapattana. People had blocked the (narrow) road at 3-4 villages and were demanding money as donation for the Ganesha immersion ceremony. Being Sunday, traffic was not too bad after Yeshwantpur.

The highlight of the trip was a drive up Mandalpatti.

Gears,
Red-One.
RedOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 16:03   #228
BHPian

Planning to go to Kushalanagara tomorrow. Is the Arkalgud-Ramanathapura route still the recommended one?
Old 4th November 2017, 17:27   #229
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Its 30 Kms extra and single road , you can not drive above 80/90 after channarayapattana. The best road I recommend is, Kanakapura, malavally , Bannur, you will hit Mysore outer ring road , take right, pass through Asia Columbia Hospital and than to Kushalanagara via Hunasur. I drive from bangalore to Coorg twice a month. From bangalore via Kanakapura , though its single road, pretty wide and no traffic. You will enjoy the greenery too.If I leave at 5.30 AM will be in kushalanagar by 8.30 AM
sumukha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 10:21   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
Its 30 Kms extra and single road , you can not drive above 80/90 after channarayapattana. The best road I recommend is, Kanakapura, malavally , Bannur, you will hit Mysore outer ring road , take right, pass through Asia Columbia Hospital and than to Kushalanagara via Hunasur. I drive from bangalore to Coorg twice a month. From bangalore via Kanakapura , though its single road, pretty wide and no traffic. You will enjoy the greenery too.If I leave at 5.30 AM will be in kushalanagar by 8.30 AM
Thanks. I stay in the northern part of the city, so the Kanakapura route will be longer for me. Moreover, I can avoid city traffic if I go through NH 75.
80-90 is not a problem for me as I drive at those speeds on 4 lane highways many times. How is the road surface of Ramanathapura route?
Old 5th November 2017, 10:24   #231
BHPian

Hit nice road and exit kanakapura road. It still worth it. Ramanathapura- konanur is ok like ..
sumukha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 12:42   #232
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 6th November 2017 at 13:26.
hangover is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd November 2017, 22:59   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Once you enter Bangalore after Attibele toll, ~10km later you will reach a signal and then you will see the BETL elevated road entry toll gates on the left, ignore this and stay on right.
Another 2-3 km later, you will NICE Road entry from the service road on left, take this, pay the toll and exit at Mysore Road.
I am planning to go to Coorg in December from Electronic city, during the Christmas Weekend, hence anticipating high traffic flow on most of the roads. So please suggest the above Mysore road option will be better or via Kanakpura-Malavalli-Bannur- Kushalnagar route? I am travelling with family hence would like to get decent eating options on the way also. Hope to get a prompt response so that I can plan my trip accordingly. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd November 2017 at 21:51. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 22nd November 2017, 23:29   #234
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav.info111 View Post
I am planning to go to Coorg in December from Electronic city, during the Christmas Weekend, hence anticipating high traffic flow on most of the roads. So please suggest the above Mysore road option will be better or via Kanakpura-Malavalli-Bannur- Kushalnagar route?
The Mysore Road route NH 275/erstwhile SH 17 has lots of restaurants but most open at 6:45 or so, so if you start early say 5am, you won't find them open so no real advantage of taking this route. Also, being a long holiday weekend you can expect heavy traffic.

A better option is probably Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur route. There is some road widening work on Kanakapura road as well near Art of living ashram, but should be manageable, again I would suggest you start early.
Once you reach Mysore ring road, turn right and at the Columbia Asia signal continue straight onto other side of the ring road towards Hunsur. A few Km later, you can stop at Hotel Kalyani on the left for breakfast.

Needless to say, take NICE road, don't get onto the BETL
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:45   #235
BHPian

Does anyone know what the water flow at Mallalli falls will be like now?
Planning to visit on Sunday 26th Nov.
Route plan : Blore -> Nelamangla -> CR Patna -> Holenarasipur -> Arakalgud -> Shanivarasante -> Somwarpet -> Mallalli -> Somwarapet -> Madikeri
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:50   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Does anyone know what the water flow at Mallalli falls will be like now?
Planning to visit on Sunday 26th Nov.
It was quite decent 4 weeks back.

Quote:
Route plan : Blore -> Nelamangla -> CR Patna -> Holenarasipur -> Arakalgud -> Shanivarasante -> Somwarpet -> Mallalli -> Somwarapet -> Madikeri
That is the perfect route. I would suggest start very early to reach there early. Else slowly it starts getting crowded as more folks start coming. Also, later in the day when sun comes out, its energy sapping.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 10:44   #237
BHPian

Hi Team,

We are planning to visit Coorg - leaving today afternoon with family. Needed your guidance on following :

1. Planning to leave by around 3 pm from Marathalli. So would reach Madikeri by 10 pm. Which route is better? One via Mysore outer ring road? Or any other suggestion?
2. I probably will have to choose between Tala-Kaveri and Mandalpatti. Which one would you suggest I should take ?
3. I have a Duster 85 ps - 2WD. Can it make it to Mandalpatti ? I heard that for last small patch is suitable only for 4 x 4 and that we have to hire a local Jeep. Can you guide?
4. Do you know any place near Madikeri where I can do small hiking with kids? ( 7 and 11 years age )

Thanks in advance!
Old 1st December 2017, 08:28   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
Hi Team,

We are planning to visit Coorg - leaving today afternoon with family. Needed your guidance on following :

1. Planning to leave by around 3 pm from Marathalli. So would reach Madikeri by 10 pm. Which route is better? One via Mysore outer ring road? Or any other suggestion?
2. I probably will have to choose between Tala-Kaveri and Mandalpatti. Which one would you suggest I should take ?
3. I have a Duster 85 ps - 2WD. Can it make it to Mandalpatti ? I heard that for last small patch is suitable only for 4 x 4 and that we have to hire a local Jeep. Can you guide?
4. Do you know any place near Madikeri where I can do small hiking with kids? ( 7 and 11 years age )

Thanks in advance!
There are 3 routes. Via 1. Kanakapura, 2. Mysore , 3. Channarayapattana.

Different school of thoughts. But I suggest Via Kanakapura, malavalli, bannur
Drive 20 Kms you will hit OOty road take right and cross Bangalore Mysore Highway towards mangalore. Good Road though single but with out traffic. Did it yesterday. You can have break fast @ New Ganesh Hotel opposite IOC petrol Bunk in malavalli. Good one.

Mandalpatty not advisable, need 4x4 to reach the last point as you said. If with family, Talakaveri is best.

I am not sure about the Small hiking, but climbing the steps, you have it in Talakaveri. 500+ good view point.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 1st December 2017 at 10:57. Reason: Please avoid typing like ....
Old 1st December 2017, 11:54   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav_mankad View Post
Option 1: Marathalli - Silk Board - NICE - Kanakpura - Malavalli - Bannur - Ring Road - Madikeri. With a 3pm start, you would probably exit NICE road at around 5 PM, which means you will have to face the high beam 2L issue all the way. Roads are good except for a stretch inside Bannur town but Im not sure how safe Mysore Ring road is at night.

Option 2: Marathalli - Hebbal - Nelamangala - CR Patna - Arkalgud - Ramnathapura - Kushalnagar - Madikeri. Again good road + 6L till CR Patna. 2L after that will have relatively less traffic than Malvalli - Bannur but can be tricky at night as not a lot of signs and Gmaps can be stupid.

Option 3: Marthalli - NICE - Mysore road - Mysore - Madikeri. Safest bet but will have some crazy traffic today as its Friday.

Option 1 I think is your best bet if you are not familiar with roads around CR Patna. Would suggest you dont take Mysore ring road but drive through the city to get to Madikeri road.

10 PM target to madikeri might be a stretch as it will ~5PM when you exit NICE. 3 hours to Mysore would be 8 PM, add dinner stop and everything put together, it would most likely be closer to 11-11.30 by the time you reach Madikeri.

Quote:
Talakaveri if you are interested in the spiritual side of things and Mandalpatti if you just want to enjoy the environs. Not that Talacauvery environs are less stunning. If its your first time, then would suggest Talacauvery as you will need a 4x4 to get to Mandalpatti.

Quote:
If you are staying near/in an estate you can ask for hiking trails near by.
Old 15th December 2017, 12:28   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
3 hrs to Kushalnagar is good speed. Hope you have'nt made a mistake. Google maps shows 3+ hrs till Malavalli.
That apart, can you please suggest some breakfast stops after mysore, say Hunsur or Periyapatna? Planning a 5am start, so may be around here by,say, 8am, before we visit Bylakuppe. Also, Nisargadhama was good 10 years ago, is it still good? Worth a visit with kids?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks